Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

Anyone over 40???

resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 3 4 of 4 pages resultset_next resultset_last
gadgetgirl
gadgetgirl
United States
2006/11/12, 12:13 PM
Hi... will be 50 next June; just signed on and haven't done a thing! Looking for motivation and support, never have been athletic. Nice to see that it can be done, and it's never too late!

Gadget
Deni
Deni
Canada
2006/11/14, 01:41 AM
I'm 49 with four sons under 10. The 40's have been the best and I'm in better shape now than I've been in years and feel better too. Thanks to exercise and sound nutrition, I have the energy to keep up with my sons! Here's to all of us in the prime of our lives!

--------------
Deni

------------------------

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.
- Anatole France
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/11/14, 09:16 AM
Hey Deni...welcome back....haven't seen you in a while! There are lot's of us over 40 men and women on here, all with the same basic goals as the 20 and 30 year olds:)

And welcome to FT LikeAWhale and gadget!

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
--------------
The harder you fall, the higher you bounce
Deni
Deni
Canada
2006/11/14, 12:21 PM
Thanks Fly,

My computer and my vehicle died within a week of each other and unfortunately another vehicle had to take presedence over another computer.......sigh lol

I've been keeping up with my workouts by going to a friend's once/week to print them off. I changed my weight training schedule to a 5 day split instead of 3, due to time. Since I rarely get to bed before midnight and am up at 5:30, having a shorter workout time has helped. Still having caloric "issues" and am now down to 110 lbs., but I'm working on that.

It's great to be back! I was up 'til 2 a.m. trying to catch up on things around the forum.....lol Nice to see everyone doing well.

--------------
Deni

------------------------

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.
- Anatole France
gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2006/11/21, 02:31 PM
I'm at this weird stage in FT world. You know the one that is older than 25, but younger than 40. So I have no thread in this section to call my own.... :)
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2006/11/21, 11:52 PM
That means the entire rest of the forum is for you (except female issues perhaps).
gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2006/11/22, 07:47 AM
thanks for clearing that one up for me.....

============
Quoting from msmogreen:

That means the entire rest of the forum is for you (except female issues perhaps).
=============
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/11/22, 09:15 AM
Like the forum title has ever stopped you before ganster:) I've seen you peaking in the Ladies forum as well.
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/11/22, 09:20 AM
So now you all know why i stick my 2 cents in on every possible forum...at 34 I have no where else to go either..so I gotta try 'um all on so to speak...see which one fits...I need a "yackity yacker" forum
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/11/22, 10:20 AM
Part of the agreement when men subscribe is that the Ladies forum is a mandatory daily check-in Fly :)
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/11/22, 06:40 PM
Alright, I confess to sneaking into the mens forum as well. I've even posted in the **gasp** powerlifting forum.
gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2006/11/29, 02:39 PM
you caught me FOTW.... You caught the tator......

============
Quoting from flyonthewall:

Like the forum title has ever stopped you before ganster:) I've seen you peaking in the Ladies forum as well.
=============
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/12/02, 10:04 PM
:big_smile: Hey Granny! Welcome aboard.

You know since you said you don't wana look like someones granny we have to call you granny now, it's a must LOL! :big_smile:

============
Quoting from mfpitts1:

HiGuys,
I'm new here and I just love the website. I'm 52 and I am going through my "mid-life" crisis. I'm not over weight for my heigth but my stomach has taken on a life of it's own....unsightly belly fat...lolol. My husband and I joke about being Mr & Mrs Lump cause we're always too tired to do anything but watch tv. Anyway, back to my mid-life crisis, I joined a gym last week and I'm loving it. It dawned on me that I'm really looking and acting my age. I used to work out years ago, mostly aerobics, but we moved to a new town and I quit exercising. I've decided I don't want to look like someone's "granny" and I'd better start doing something about it NOW. I joined Shapes gym and there are a lot of older ladies working out there that are an inspiration to all. I'm talking women, probably in their mid to late 70's doing aerobics and not missing a beat. Also, they're all over the free weights and machines. It's awesome. I'm weight training and trying to get in 30 minutes of cardio/day. I had my husband take some pictures today...I was horrified....looks like cottage cheese and mashed potatoes...lolol...hopefully not for long, cause "I ain't your Grandma!". Good luck to all!

=============
mfpitts1
mfpitts1
United States
2006/12/02, 08:55 PM
HiGuys,
I'm new here and I just love the website. I'm 52 and I am going through my "mid-life" crisis. I'm not over weight for my heigth but my stomach has taken on a life of it's own....unsightly belly fat...lolol. My husband and I joke about being Mr & Mrs Lump cause we're always too tired to do anything but watch tv. Anyway, back to my mid-life crisis, I joined a gym last week and I'm loving it. It dawned on me that I'm really looking and acting my age. I used to work out years ago, mostly aerobics, but we moved to a new town and I quit exercising. I've decided I don't want to look like someone's "granny" and I'd better start doing something about it NOW. I joined Shapes gym and there are a lot of older ladies working out there that are an inspiration to all. I'm talking women, probably in their mid to late 70's doing aerobics and not missing a beat. Also, they're all over the free weights and machines. It's awesome. I'm weight training and trying to get in 30 minutes of cardio/day. I had my husband take some pictures today...I was horrified....looks like cottage cheese and mashed potatoes...lolol...hopefully not for long, cause "I ain't your Grandma!". Good luck to all!
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2006/12/03, 06:37 AM
ill check in here again in about 5 hrs.. :cool: *giggle*
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2006/12/03, 11:25 PM
Welcome, mfpitts. I was having a conversation with my mother the other day. I was trying to encourage her to join a gym and pointed out to her that the morning crowd is full of retired folks in their 70's and 80's. And you're right...they are inspiring to all. I'm thinking well shoot, if they can get themselves in the gym before 5 a.m. every morning, what excuse do I have? And the older folks are the most consistent of all. I think it because a social thing for them, but they are working, doing their cardio, free weights and machines. I would love to see my mother join a gym and get in with the right kind of crowd!
WAnglais1
WAnglais1
United States
2006/12/06, 08:59 AM
Yes, but they want dinner by 3pm and are in bed at 5:30.:laugh:

I'm 44.5 or 534 months.

============
Quoting from msmogreen:

Welcome, mfpitts. I was having a conversation with my mother the other day. I was trying to encourage her to join a gym and pointed out to her that the morning crowd is full of retired folks in their 70's and 80's. And you're right...they are inspiring to all. I'm thinking well shoot, if they can get themselves in the gym before 5 a.m. every morning, what excuse do I have? And the older folks are the most consistent of all. I think it because a social thing for them, but they are working, doing their cardio, free weights and machines. I would love to see my mother join a gym and get in with the right kind of crowd!

=============
tbabini
tbabini
United States
2006/12/06, 09:28 AM
Hi there, I'm just 40 and I am NOT adjusting very well. I never thought I'd throw a temper tantrum at this age. Well, I guess I'm not that old after all, hee hee.
Ehh-nee-way, I am an on again-off again exerciser. I used to go out at 5:30 am 3-4 times a week, rain or shine, snow or heat, and run at least 4 miles. I lived in a town with hills all around and my legs were smokin'. But, when my 3rd baby was on the way, I became slow and couchy. I don't know what happened except that it was a very emotionally dark time for me and that first year after the birth, I was totally unable to get a grip on my new body. I was one of those women who just looked better and better after each baby. Well, I kept waiting for my body to kick in and I'm still waiting. I found myself going to the gym for a few weeks, only to get hit with a flu or incredible exhaustion. After looking at all your posts, I've decided to take a before shot to help me with my self-motivation.
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/12/06, 09:40 AM
Welcome aboard tbabini! You've come to the right place to gain knowledge and support. The fact that you've been active in the past should serve you very well. Spend some time reading the great posts on nutrition and start by getting your diet in order. Grab one of the exercise programs from the site and get going. If you haven't wt lifted before, you'll love it and love what it does to your body.....now get going:big_smile:

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
--------------
The harder you fall, the higher you bounce
madisongirl
madisongirl
United States
2006/12/06, 09:57 PM
Hi! I'm 45 years old and in better shape then I was at 25 LOL, I'm a pretty chronic Asthmatic but have learned to manage it and keep myself in shape. I guess when I was younger I was afraid of it and didnt push my limits.
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2006/12/06, 10:02 PM
Hi madisongirl--We are the same age and I, too, am in better shape than when I was 25. Well, those were my childbearing years, but still. On my birthday my bf gave me a birthday card in which he had written a note saying with all the hard work I've been doing I look better now that I did when he met me (9 years ago)! It's a great feeling...and definitely motivates me to keep moving.
UKgent
UKgent
United Kingdom
2006/12/08, 07:04 AM
I’ve just turned 47, alas we are in the minority, people in general don’t train and even less do as they get older.
It’s sad to see so many people my age getting fatter as the years go by, strange they compliment me on my physique saying I’m lucky, but I’m quick to point out I work hard to stay in shape.
There’re obviously not happy about getting unfit and fat but don’t seem able to do anything about it!
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2006/12/09, 01:44 PM
ukgent, I just read your profile and you describe yourself as an "older guy". We're not "older" yet! If 60 is the new 40, then wouldn't 40 be the new 20??? So, we're still in our 20's really. That's how I feel.

It is hard for me to understand how people let themselves go. Even though I haven't always been in the shape I am in now, I've always made some effort to stay relatively in shape. I would let my body get out of shape to a certain point, then at that point I knew enough was enough and I'd turn it around again. There's a woman at work who knows how hard I work and knows what it takes to get in shape...and I can tell she's somewhat envious...but to actually do what she needs to do would mean major changes to her lifestyle and that seems insurmountable to some. I can understand that. People need to learn to take small steps...gradually add changes until they stick rather than attempt a major lifestyle change at once. Am I rambling? I'll stop now.
inthemiz
inthemiz
United States
2008/02/14, 01:28 PM
Hey,

I'm 41 and wanted to work out again. I felt so much more healthier and had more energy. I want to tone, gain muscle, with cardio. But my fear is that once I get rid of my belly I do I get rid of the stretch marks.

I have tried coco butter while pregnant. My kids are all young men and I dont feel very attractive at all. I see everyone else showing there belly and bodies I cover up all year long. Even at the swiming pool.

I am so discusted with my self. But committed to doing this personal work out.

Thanks FreeTrainers,
:)
momwithattitude
momwithattitude
United States
2008/03/12, 05:55 PM
Hello to all 40 somethings!! I've been training for years and have always had a very slender, fit body up until about 2 years ago. I noticed that I was getting more weight around the mid-section, butt and outer thighs. My diet is very lean and healthy for the most part and I don't eat "junk"foods. UGGH talk about bringing your energy levels down.I guess the only thing left for me to do is to back off my beer? :laugh::big_smile: Metabolism ain't what it used to be. Dang it!
Big-Paul
Big-Paul
United States
2008/03/29, 11:29 PM
I am 54 and workout 5 days a week toting my journal and following everything my schedule has listed for the day still not in the best shape but not getting any worse God willing and I'll get better everyday been at it for the past 8 months and looking forward to the next 8 months and then some more.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/03/30, 04:30 PM
Nice to see this thread still alive and kicking. Much to say for us 'older' farts that there are so many of us wanting to be healthy and fit.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/03/31, 01:56 PM
OMG!!!! I am only two years shy of this thread, well three if we are really counting "over".

Where did the years go? I was just a wee baby when I joined FT!

--------------
Bettia

Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It is all about timing.
-Stacey Chapman
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/03/31, 05:05 PM
Yeah, me too! :big_smile:

============
Quoting from ravenbeauty:

Where did the years go? I was just a wee baby when I joined FT!

=============

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

koya1893
koya1893
United States
2008/04/01, 07:39 AM
New to the site but not to the topic of fitness. Is being 49 over 40? I know what a question. I think if you are over 40 male or female and you are not involve with anykind of physical activities, you are over 50 and might be even over 60 range. the benefit of the body being physically active is endless. hence when I work out and I am on my heavy day I have gym goers approach me and ask question with the mind set that I am their ages. That feels good and to be engulfed by members younger than I am and lift weight they only dream of doing. Like 125lbs. dumbbells for press.
momwithattitude
momwithattitude
United States
2008/04/14, 10:35 PM
I heard that you could workout the abs everyday because they were a short muscle. Was I mis-informed AGAIN?!?:cool:
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/04/15, 08:52 AM
You can work abs every day if you like, don't really see the purpose. You have to understand, abs are not a large muscle group, so you are never going to build 'big' muscle there. And then the caveate'....you will never see them without proper low levels of bodyfat. So think diet, and work abs as you see fit.

Now, a more direct answer...I see folks who work abs daily, and though they are lean, their abs never show except when they are working them. This would lead to the conclusion that if you want to simply burn calories, by all means work abs daily. However, if you want to see visual abs, work them 3 days a week max, and concentrate on your diet.

--------------

bmwhite
bmwhite
United States
2008/06/19, 12:10 PM
I am 48, and in great need of ab work, anyone willing to help?
2008/06/19, 12:25 PM
You gotta walk that lonesome valley by yourself but ask any questions you want, we'll answer.

--------------

Sometimes life is like herding cats

Charlie
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/07/13, 02:33 PM
Ab work is not all its cracked up to be, diet however is. Any ab routine in the world will not get you ripped abs without a lean diet to support it. I will also mention, most folks cannot sustain the dieting it takes to have six pack abs.

============
Quoting from bmwhite:

I am 48, and in great need of ab work, anyone willing to help?
=============

--------------

INTRUDER
INTRUDER
United States
2008/07/14, 02:56 AM
Did someone say chocolate chip cookies?:) -there goes the abs diet again.

--------------
"Get everthing you want--just make a little change now"
"The thing you have to realize is that you have to work for it,"
nobs4me
nobs4me
United States
2009/11/27, 06:03 AM
Hello everyone. Just joined up. I am 70 years old and I want to get in better shape and lose about 40 lbs. I have emphysema also.:surprised: I need all the encouragement I can get. I'll post a picture real soon. Help please!!
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2009/11/27, 01:04 PM
Welcome!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/11/27, 03:45 PM
You have all the help you want here. Good luck and nice to have you.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
2009/11/28, 12:06 AM
The best place to start is with your diet. Learn what's healthy and what's not as far as eating.

I would also suggest that you check with your doctor and define some limitations. Walking is probably the best place to start.

I have an uncle who is 91. He suffers from dementia but other than that is physically strong. He rode a bicycle until he was 89.

About 4 months ago he fell and broke a hip. After surgery and rehab on the parallel bars, they decided to try him on a walker. They put the walker in front of him and stood him up. The therapist told him to try walking with the walker. He picked the damn thing up, walked ten streps across the room carrying the walker. He set it down and said "what now". We all laughed till we cried.

The point to the story is that if you train your muscles, they will remember...even when you're 91 and supposed to never walk again. The most important part of any training program is to stick with it. Good luck.

--------------
I would have a million dollars now if only I had only followed CNBCs advice...and I had started with a hundred million dollars.

Charlie
rivergirl3
rivergirl3
United States
2010/01/09, 12:08 PM
Who are your, "over 40 models?" Any time I meet an older man or woman who is athletic and physically fit I am inspired to keep my training regime intact. Equally as inspiring is when a young person stops me at the gym or on the trail and tells me how inspired they are by my fitness level.
nfriend6964
nfriend6964
United States
2011/02/09, 06:41 PM
i am over 40, 46 to be exact and i am in desperate need to lose 50lbs. i need all the help and encouragement i can get PLEASE help
cbnurse1
cbnurse1
United States
2011/02/17, 12:50 PM
I'm over 40--Actually turned 60 this year. I am told that I don't look a day over 45. Lifting weights keeps me strong and youthful. (it also helps to have a younger husband!)
If you were in good shape when you were younger, you can get back in shape fairly quick, due to your "muscle memory".
Keep working at it and you will reach your goals. It seems a little harder to maintain as you get older, so don't give up, or get depressed, and quit. Being healthy and fit feels better than any food could ever taste!

============
Quoting from nfriend6964:

i am over 40, 46 to be exact and i am in desperate need to lose 50lbs. i need all the help and encouragement i can get PLEASE help
=============
janethall
janethall
United States
2011/02/17, 11:33 PM
I'm 48 and I've been working out for a while and can't seem to lose weight. Any advice I lift free weights and I also work on the machines. I do cardio at least 3 times a week and do a short cardio routine before I lift. I go to the gym after work and I'm wondering if I should go in the morining. I also coach volleyball and we practice twice a week so I'm trying to keep up with my 13 year olds. I will take any advice I can get.
jblake59
jblake59
Canada
2012/01/08, 10:59 AM
I'm 52 and (hopefully) on the road to better health.  I've read some interesting comments and suggestions here -- good forum.  I've lost 80 lbs over a year period by reducing portion sizes, choosing better foods and logging everything I eat.  I've also exercised along the way but never logged my exercising or followed a set program.  I'm starting that now ... and learning as I go.  I've tried personal trainers but find the trainer's personality is more important (for me) than their claimed "expertise".  I will watch this forum and learn from all of you -- thanks!
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2012/01/08, 12:11 PM
jblake59
I'm 52 and (hopefully) on the road to better health.  I've read some interesting comments and suggestions here -- good forum.  I've lost 80 lbs over a year period by reducing portion sizes, choosing better foods and logging everything I eat.  I've also exercised along the way but never logged my exercising or followed a set program.  I'm starting that now ... and learning as I go.  I've tried personal trainers but find the trainer's personality is more important (for me) than their claimed "expertise".  I will watch this forum and learn from all of you -- thanks!

---Hi Jake and welcome.  Congrats on the success you've had thus far, I hope you find this site and all it has to offer to your benefit.  Please let us know if you need anything and  good luck on your continued success.
2012/01/08, 12:40 PM
Welcome here Jblake. Look around. The sources are formidable. Take a look at some of the routines offered. If you like designing your own there is a section in the exercise heading that offers a variety of exercises for each muscle group. Stick around. It works.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2012/01/09, 04:29 PM
Hello and welcome to freetrainers. Feel free to post away. Congratulations on the lifestyle change, you are an inspiration for others!

jblake59

---
Goodison
Goodison
United Kingdom
2012/01/11, 02:00 PM
Hi I'm Jim,

Just joined the site, I've just turned 50, been training for years, still trying to get the body i'm after. Although I think I look good. Always up for trying new things. Just enjoy it all.
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2012/01/19, 02:45 PM
Welcome Jim and good to hear from you.  I hope this site will increase your desire to trying new things and staying fit and healthy.
resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 3 4 of 4 pages resultset_next resultset_last