Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Site Suggestions

BIGKATT
BIGKATT
United States
2007/01/22, 01:28 PM
I've been on the site for a few weeks etc and one of the things I've noticed is that very few members actually visit each others profiles or comment on each others profile etc.

I know for some members that is why they leave the site so quickly. I mean, they post their profiles and expect to be part of a community geared towards helping each other etc, but soon find out that they could have a profile up for a year or more and they might not get one comment of critique or encouragement. Then they either leave, or stop posting updates to their profiles or if they're a die hard bodybuilder they may stick around and be a forum rat...

One thing that could be incorporated is a points system, where when you visit and post a comment on another members profile page, you earn one point...points could be used to "buy" things, such as a signature in the forums might cost 50 points, with the only way to earn forum points is by posting comments on others profiles. etc

In my Opinion that would help create more of a community and give the community a reason to visit others pages and become involved in each others goals, efforts, offer help etc.

Likewise I think it would be more be beneficial to the site if members were allowed to use simple html on their pages to spruce them up a bit and give the pages some personal feel.

In my opinion the site is kinda cold and univiting with each members pages looking almost exactly alike, no one in the forums has a graphic in their sigs, profile pages have such small pictures that it's difficult to even see the other members much less get an idea of their size, etc

This is not a complaint post by any means, I just feel like as a member of the site it is my duty to bring forth a few ideas that could make this site competitive with the other fitness sites out there that offer more for free than FT does. As it stands now, I personally wouldn't pay money to be a FT professional when I don't see much incentive to do so as a member of the site.

Like I said, these are suggestions and not complaints....:dumbbell:
conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/01/22, 05:14 PM
I don't know aboyut the profile thing. I've never looked at anyone's profile and am still posting away.
I think most come here thinking we'll have the magic cure for what ails them and it'll be fast and easy. i think most of them don't like the answers to the qeustions :)
Then the other group doesn't want to spend any time researching the site to learn what they need to know :)
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/01/22, 05:22 PM
Send you ideas to George@freetrainers.com or Adrian@freetrainers.com.

I think a lot of people stop by, create a profile, lose their motivation due to personal issues and forget about the site. Sort of the same vein of Conan's comment.

--------------

Within each of us lies the power of our consent to health and sickness, to riches and poverty, to freedom and to slavery. It is we who control these, and not another.

Richard Bach
frnchfry81
frnchfry81
United States
2007/01/22, 08:15 PM
well maybe not all of us. I like to check my profile and see the encouragement from others. But I also like it here. I love to post and read and check out old threads. Maybe we need a welcoming committee :) But yea your probably right about some they want a quick to fix to something that is only fixed by fixing thier lifestyle Im learning this. I am grateful for all the info here. Sometimes all it takes is a little encouragement it helped me and I thank those that have taken the time to post answers and encouragement it really helps and means a lot to me AWWWWWWWW!!!! going mushy on ya :)

--------------
A** kissing only works if you know which one to kiss.
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2007/01/22, 08:21 PM
I visit profiles all the time to get information on posters--I sort of thought that was the point of the profiles. If someone has a question, their profile provides additional info to aid in answering. I rarely comment on profiles, didn't know that was an expected thing. I certainly don't expect anyone to comment on mine. I get the sense of community from reading, posting, and getting feedback in the forums.
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/01/22, 08:34 PM
i would be afraid to read what ppl would post on my profile..lol
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2007/01/22, 09:30 PM
And have you seen the pictures in kathy's(msmogreen) profile????

Shes one hot mama....:)

--------------
"But more than anything, more than anything,
My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
Your dreams stay big, and your worries stay small,
You never need to carry more than you can hold"
My Wish
Rascall Flats
I sing this song to my kids...but I realized..it works for yall too....
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2007/01/22, 09:32 PM
AND....I have to mention this....

I don't see anything from YOU in MY profile bigkatt!!!!!
:big_smile:

--------------
My Wish
Rascall Flats
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2007/01/22, 10:12 PM
Aww...KC, thanks! You're looking pretty hot in your little black dress!
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2007/01/22, 10:19 PM
BTW, when you join FT Pro and start logging your workouts in your personal training log, that's where you'll find you'll get the most feedback, encouragement and comraderie. At least, that's what I've found.
christal086
christal086
Australia
2007/01/22, 10:44 PM
i think that personal touch to your profile bit is a good idea BIGKATT, i have noticed that people dont really comment your profile and it kid of makes you wonder does any one look...or evn care? i love looking at other peoples profiles it gives me even more motivation. i dont think you should have to join ftpro just to get recognised shouldn't we all be treated the same?
BIGKATT
BIGKATT
United States
2007/01/22, 11:47 PM
heh I posted on it awhile baack...when you hit up my page :)

============
Quoting from KC_72:

AND....I have to mention this....

I don't see anything from YOU in MY profile bigkatt!!!!!
:big_smile:

=============
BIGKATT
BIGKATT
United States
2007/01/22, 11:53 PM

right, exactly :)
============
Quoting from christal086:

i think that personal touch to your profile bit is a good idea BIGKATT, i have noticed that people dont really comment your profile and it kid of makes you wonder does any one look...or evn care? i love looking at other peoples profiles it gives me even more motivation. i dont think you should have to join ftpro just to get recognised shouldn't we all be treated the same?
=============
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2007/01/23, 01:14 AM
I don't have anything against the idea, it just really never occurred to me that people were supposed to post comments on my profile. Considering how few people post pics or really fill out their profile, I'm thinking this is not their reason for joining. Is this something that goes on in other forums? I've never belonged to a forum before where such a thing was even possible...so guess I hadn't thought of it. I came here to read the info and ask questions when I had them, or contribute when I felt I could. When I'm frustrated I post my frustration and get support/recognition that way. Maybe now I'll pay more attention and post in people's profiles if that is what is wanted. I do love to read profiles and look at pics...so maybe I'll start posting a little comment. So, I'm not saying its a bad idea BK, just one I hadn't thought of.
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2007/01/23, 01:16 AM
BTW, how do I post a response on my own profile? I've tried to twice and it doesn't take. Must be doing something wrong?
conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/01/23, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the comment biggkatt, I think. I said I think because I received the email that you had posted one but have NO idea how to see it!! LOL
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/01/23, 10:50 AM
Do you know how many profiles there are?????????????????

I comment in threads and occasionally on a profile of a member who has stuck around, listened and done their share of hard work. If newbies come on expecting us All to rush to their profiles to comment, no posts in the forums would ever get read. New memebers sign up everyday and then never come back again, should I go to their profiles and post comments they will never see?

============

=============

--------------

Within each of us lies the power of our consent to health and sickness, to riches and poverty, to freedom and to slavery. It is we who control these, and not another.

Richard Bach
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/01/23, 11:44 AM
And here I was thinking that giving my time and advice was a good way to give back. Now I have to comment on personal issues...

I'm sorry, but I agree with Amy all to much. I not only spend enough time online, but I work in a gym enough to know that the reason for people not sticking around isn't a lack of personal encouragement.

And one thing in common with the pro members, is that they DO stick around. I've been on this site long enough to see many MANY members come and go, and I would prefer not to waste my time. I know that might sound conceited, but that time can be better spent helping out in other ways.

--------------
Gravity hates you.

Enter the Darkside.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/01/23, 11:49 AM
yeah thats all I need is more comments, denouncing my mainlyness for being a cheerleader. Or other smart @ss comments.

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

Don't talk to me, only thing that should be moving is the bar.
BIGKATT
BIGKATT
United States
2007/01/23, 01:43 PM

http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/MemberGallery.jsp?u_n=conan_0822
============
Quoting from conan_0822:

Thanks for the comment biggkatt, I think. I said I think because I received the email that you had posted one but have NO idea how to see it!! LOL
=============
BIGKATT
BIGKATT
United States
2007/01/23, 01:45 PM
""profiles to comment, no posts in the forums would ever get read. New memebers sign up everyday and then never come back again, should I go to their profiles and post comments they will never see""

Ever stop to think that if everyone took a more proactive stance and actually commented on the new members profile that MAYBE they would stick around longer and see some comments.

I know for some members , they post a profile and since no one comments on their profiles they Leave the site because they think the site is dead with no one viewing or commenting on their profiles....

============
Quoting from asimmer:

I comment in threads and occasionally on a profile of a member who has stuck around, listened and done their share of hard work. If newbies come on expecting us All to rush to their profiles to comment, no posts in the forums would ever get read. New memebers sign up everyday and then never come back again, should I go to their profiles and post comments they will never see?

=============
BIGKATT
BIGKATT
United States
2007/01/23, 01:50 PM
That's what I'm saying man, you would have MORE Pro members IF the rest of the members felt like they were part of this site, otherwise its you "Pros" and "Them"

Everyone should be encouraged etc, not just those that pay $20. Especially when there is alot of other bodybuilding sites that give you galleries, personalized pages etc etc, MORE than you get here for FREE....

My point is, it's kinda hard to have a community when half the site feels alienated and wonders if anyone even looks at their profiles. I understand about the Dedication of people, thats fine. But for the average joe that comes to this site for help and encouragementr it can be pretty disappointing if they post a profile and no one posts or visits it, they THINK the site is dead...and leave....

============
Quoting from wrestler125:

And here I was thinking that giving my time and advice was a good way to give back. Now I have to comment on personal issues...

I'm sorry, but I agree with Amy all to much. I not only spend enough time online, but I work in a gym enough to know that the reason for people not sticking around isn't a lack of personal encouragement.

And one thing in common with the pro members, is that they DO stick around. I've been on this site long enough to see many MANY members come and go, and I would prefer not to waste my time. I know that might sound conceited, but that time can be better spent helping out in other ways.

=============
BIGKATT
BIGKATT
United States
2007/01/23, 01:55 PM
Anyway....I just wanted to offer some ideas to make the site better...If no one cares that's fine...just thought I'd offer some ideas so more and more people stick around.

For me, if things don't get better here I'm personally gonna step off and go to a few other sites with much more to offer...because as it stands now I have no real reason to visit this site daily other than the forum, but all bodybuilding sites have a forum, so....yknow...
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/01/23, 02:01 PM
I am unclear. What do you mean by "better?"

t

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Be here. Live. Love. Hope. Now. Faith. Believe. You. - Keith Urban

They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. - Andy Warhol

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/01/23, 02:07 PM
Yeah better as in what? More "play" things? Is that what makes a site better? I have been a memeber of many other sites that "offered" so called more, and one by one they were over run by young punks with nothng better to do than start pissing contests. Now those sites are no more. I am confused as to why you think haveing more things to play with in a profile that to tell the truth most do not even use has to do with fitness and would make this site better? And just becasuse those of us who are Pro and talk with each other more, so what? Take the time to post a bit and get to know us and I gaurtenee that you will have fun. No other site offers the things this site does. BigKatt I know you mean well and this is not meant as an attack. I think you have a good head on your shoulders and would be a great member if you sayed, which I hope you will.

--------------
Curl Jockeys, get outta the squat rack!

Warning:Deadlifting going on!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
george
george
Canada
2007/01/23, 02:08 PM
Bigkatt, I appreciate your feedback and suggestions, as we do from all members at all time to improve our site.

Happily, many members stick around. Most people just want to get their free programs and get to the gym and kitchen and get to the results, that is 100% ok. On the other hand, some like to interact.. where our busy forums come into play. So because members are not shown posting doesn't mean that they are not here by any means.

Freetrainers is going through a complete change that we plan to start beta testing very shortly. You might be a little surprised by all the additions and how fast the community will grow.

Thanks to all as always,
George & Adrian

ps - Please post suggestions and comments in the News & Announcements Thread.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/01/23, 02:10 PM
And to be honest with as many that sign up here it is almost impossible to go onto all of them and comment anything meangingfull, and for that matter less than a few % of those that sign up fill a profile out.

--------------

KC_72
KC_72
United States
2007/01/23, 02:11 PM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2007/01/23, 02:19 PM
'um...probably shouldn't have said that out loud...

oops...:)

Personally...I like the site how it is...to each his own....

there...thats what I MEANT to say the first time...

--------------
My Wish
Rascall Flats
BIGKATT
BIGKATT
United States
2007/01/23, 02:52 PM
Right on, I didn't mean to offend you guys.. Everyone here has been very kind and helpful to me and others. I merely meant my post as a way to get some meber involvement and possibly to liven the place up a bit.

Mutt, I wasn't merely talking about a profile improvement, that was one suggestion I had. What I meant by more is more to do as the site is kind of boring with the only thing to do for an established member is to post in the forum occassionally. The established members eventually decide that they "have it under control" and then lose interest in the site, whereas if they had a personal page they could update from time to time, or a gallery that they could post progress pics to , etc etc that maybe those members would become even more involved in each others goals etc because they would visit each others pages and offer encouragement or maybe surf their galleries and spark convos that way etc....The others who most here seem to think are less important might stick around longer if the site was more inviting and had more for them to do once their questions have been answered...ie..give them something to do...

I merely meant my post as suggestions to improve the community aspect of the site. I didn't mean to get you guys all riled up. I was pushing for more for YOU and Your site to be improved. yknow?
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/01/23, 02:56 PM
I hear ya big guy! I am very into this site as most know....as far as I know you can do all that in the profile that is there now. AND as George hinted beta testing of the new and imporved FT is coming soon!

--------------

BIGKATT
BIGKATT
United States
2007/01/23, 02:57 PM
"". I am confused as to why you think haveing more things to play with in a profile that to tell the truth most do not even use has to do with fitness and would make this site better? ""

I answered that kinda in my previous post...but wanted to add...

Then what's the point of having a profile page?:surprised:

============
Quoting from 7707mutt:

Yeah better as in what? More "play" things? Is that what makes a site better? I have been a memeber of many other sites that "offered" so called more, and one by one they were over run by young punks with nothng better to do than start pissing contests. Now those sites are no more. I am confused as to why you think haveing more things to play with in a profile that to tell the truth most do not even use has to do with fitness and would make this site better? And just becasuse those of us who are Pro and talk with each other more, so what? Take the time to post a bit and get to know us and I gaurtenee that you will have fun. No other site offers the things this site does. BigKatt I know you mean well and this is not meant as an attack. I think you have a good head on your shoulders and would be a great member if you sayed, which I hope you will.

=============
BIGKATT
BIGKATT
United States
2007/01/23, 02:59 PM
Right on, I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with! Like I said the members here are awesome and I wanna see the site be the best it can be!!!
BIGKATT
BIGKATT
United States
2007/01/23, 03:06 PM
By the way George..I DID try to post this in the feedback forum...I had no text box and noticed all the posts there were from yrs ago...figured it was for mods n admin only:)
christal086
christal086
Australia
2007/01/23, 04:10 PM
i don think they expect everyone to rush to there memberpage to comment but alot of newbies need a little push and a bit of encouragement. also they might not post in the forums just read them because they feel scared because all you guys have obviously been here a while and have established yourselves.
i didn't post for a little bit because i felt that i had no advice to give what right did a newbie have to be giving these ppl advice on fitness when she cant even get her own act together? if i feel that way is it possible that other new members do to?

============
Quoting from asimmer:

=============
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/01/23, 07:46 PM
The point of having a profile page, is so that when someone posts an incredibly generic question, I can look at that to find out more about them before I make an answer...

If you don't like the site, no one is forcing you to stay. If you're looking to view other people's profiles all day, then join an adult friend search program. If not, no one is forcing you to, nor expecting you to stay. I've come to accept that members come and go regardless of what you tell them, the only change is whether I can make a difference before they do. Posting in their profile isn't going to help me accomplish this.

--------------
Gravity hates you.

Enter the Darkside.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/01/23, 07:48 PM
============

i don think they expect everyone to rush to there memberpage to comment but alot of newbies need a little push and a bit of encouragement. also they might not post in the forums just read them because they feel scared because all you guys have obviously been here a while and have established yourselves.
i didn't post for a little bit because i felt that i had no advice to give what right did a newbie have to be giving these ppl advice on fitness when she cant even get her own act together? if i feel that way is it possible that other new members do to?

=============

If people don't post, how are we going to see their profile in the first place? And there is nothing wrong with coming on this site and just reading. There is a lot to learn on this site, and many people jump the gun with their posting.

--------------
Gravity hates you.

Enter the Darkside.
2007/01/23, 07:50 PM
Wrestler - In reference to your last two posts - Amen brother.

--------------
Courage is resistance to fear; mastery of fear - not absence of fear.
Mark Twain

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/01/23, 08:21 PM
Seeing what a person's goals are is ideal to answering many of the questions asked. In fact I do not know how a legitimate answer in many cases can be given without this.

A decent profile does help in this manner. I always look at a profile when I am unsure by the post what their goals are, even if they are male or female.

--------------
"If it ain't broke, you aren't trying."

kaylene007
kaylene007
South Africa
2010/08/04, 09:32 AM
hey everyone..... im kaylene......jst joined so dont know much....