Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Squat.... DEEPER

1 2 of 2 pages resultset_next resultset_last
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/11/29, 11:35 PM
For some reason, most people do not understand that until you have broken parellel, you are not squatting. Doing "knee bends" is incorrect form for many reasons.

First off, you use full range of motion on everything else, so why sacrifice when you squat? By shooting the knees forward and keeping an upright posture, you are putting a great deal of stress on the patella. Proper form dictates sitting back, and then deep. To those that tell me they can't, I ask them to sit down for me. Most can do it. If you have problems squatting, learn to box squat. Then, you never have to worry about achieving depth.

90 degrees is not parallel. It's actually closer to 110 degrees. In fact, research has shown that the knees are actually weakest at 90 degrees of flexion, so why would you want to put the MOST stress (by decellerating the weight, stopping, and reversing the motion) at this weak point? Go past this point, and then reverse the motion.

For you athletes, the posterior chain is you're source of power for sprinting, jumping, exploding, lifting, pretty much what determines a successful athlete. Want to work on your posterior chain? Squat deeper. The deeper the squat, the more the hamstrings and glutes come into play as hip extendors.

Check your ego, and for your own sake, squat deeper.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/11/30, 08:44 AM
well.....crap....no more parallel I suppose...I thought I was doing good...there goes my ego....again:)
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/11/30, 09:13 AM
I find I just can't get past parallel. It's probably due to tight hip flexors, but parallel is as deep as I can get. I know my form is correct, but even without holding weight i can't get below parallel....if I had heels raised I could get there...
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/11/30, 09:16 AM
I was gonna say...you manage in your heels don't you:)

I imagine that is my problem is tight hip fluxors as well...but I work out at home...so I could throw on the heels for a workout if need be:big_smile:
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/11/30, 09:23 AM
I'll be right there! Um you mean the stripper boots right?

--------------
Curl Jockeys, get outta the squat rack!

Warning:Deadlifting going on!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/11/30, 09:31 AM
Good greif!!!!!!!!

As a disclaimer...I do not OWN stripper boots...it was a statement made in a silly thread awhile back...to smack mutt around cristal and I would have needed stripper boots,mutt is very tall...stripper shoes tend to have the most height...that was IT..in case any of you were wondering where this idea about stripper boots came from:big_smile:

On topic....why is it...do you suppose...that while wearing a heel fly...you CAN go deeper in your squat???
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/11/30, 09:35 AM
Seriously it is because for that movement you are too tight....

--------------

KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/11/30, 09:37 AM
ummmmm.....I'll just be quiet on that:big_smile:!!!!!!!!!

:laugh::big_smile::laugh:....I'm still laughing at the replys I could make to THAT!!!

OK..OK...I'm done...back on topic...my apologies....
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/11/30, 10:17 AM
I find a higher bar placement....and closer stance allows me to break parallel and get my hams to my calves.

============
Quoting from flyonthewall:

I find I just can't get past parallel. It's probably due to tight hip flexors, but parallel is as deep as I can get. I know my form is correct, but even without holding weight i can't get below parallel....if I had heels raised I could get there...
=============

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

People don't reach thier true potental, only those who seek it.
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/11/30, 11:10 AM
hmmm...the closer stance may help, I'll try that with just the 45lb BB and see how it goes. I already have the bar reletively high.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/11/30, 11:53 AM
Ahhh....this is where experience and 'textbook' collide.... :)

Everyone is different, and don't do something that will get you hurt. Experiement and see. If you are not competing....

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/11/30, 12:23 PM
Yeah I've read "textsbooks" that say you shouldn't squat past 45 degrees.......below that soposly puts presssure on the knee caps.

I perosnally say....if you just average joy wanting nice legs....95-85 degrees for depth.... bodybuilders 90......athletes etc...90-80 or so...

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

People don't reach thier true potental, only those who seek it.
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2006/11/30, 04:47 PM
I tried going below parallel this morning with just the 45 lb. bar. I was just barely able to do it. I found to do so, I had to take a wide stance with my toes & knees turned out. Will this positioning make a difference in my results? Why is it that I have no problem getting my butt to the ground when doing the front squats?
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/11/30, 04:52 PM
You know what...it's the same for me!!!!Didn't even think about that...and sissy squats I hit the floor no problem......interesting....
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/11/30, 06:06 PM
For most people, not hitting parallel is not a flexibility issue, it is a balance and form issue. That is why I recommend box squats so much. I am yet to find someone that can not box squat 2" below parallel with decent form.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/11/30, 06:08 PM
I'll have to google box squat...not sure what that is exactly...
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2006/12/12, 11:51 AM
Well I started dropping my squats down below 90 degrees. Had to bring my weight down in order to do it and do some light warmups just to get the motion down. Felt good and made my legs sore which hasn't happened in a while...gonna try to get my weight back up to up what I was doing now.
2006/11/30, 09:45 PM
I think deep squats require a surprising amount of balance and flexibility. Most beginners find it way to awkward for that reason.

Interestingly enough most people dont have any trouble with balance and flexibility using the toilet....or squatting in the woods....hmmmm.....

I would go at least couple inches below parallel....problem for most people is knowing where that parallel really is...
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/11/30, 09:50 PM
Well now that back injury is getting WAY Better I have been squatting and a power lifter got me set strait with a bench to correct my forum so I'm in total agreeance <--- is that even a word :surprised: with the box squat theory.

I don't actually do a box squat I squat until sac or butt starts to touch the bench then I go up but in general it is telling me I'm in form and it's time to lift!

Before this man helped me he said I was doing then OK but my knees where just a tad past my toes and by setting the bench for me I know have knees over toes but not beyond then.

1 did a whole 135 pounds like a girl :angry: in 4 sets of 8 but I'm getting stronger each leg day :big_smile:!
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2006/11/30, 10:21 PM
Hmm...well, Menace, not that I've done this lately, but it is one thing to squat in the woods in a situation where you are going to stand up once and be done. It is another to do it with 100+ lbs. on your shoulder in a situation where your are going to have to stand back up and repeat the motion several times thereafter. And when I squat to pee, being a girl, I am not really concerned about my form. My feet push out any which way they need to for me to assume the position. And squatting to sit on the toilet? That does not require holding a squat to parallel especially when one is attempting not to make physical contact with the seat of said toilet.
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2006/11/30, 10:27 PM
I discovered this website last night. I had read wrestler's post and happened to find this website a little later. This is what inspired me to see how low I could go this morning.

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=123

Ladies--this is an inspiring website. All the cool weight training info is under Iron from her main page.

http://www.stumptuous.com/

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/11/30, 11:32 PM
msmogreen, great post. The page you linked to makes some excellent points.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/12/01, 12:04 AM
Women, because of their hip-to-knee ratio tend to need to turn their feet out a little more.

Stumptuous is cool - fly - how was the seminar?

I think with squats you have to find your own biomechanical groove and work within it.

--------------

Perseverance is not a long race it is many short races one after another.
Walter Elliott
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/01, 12:12 AM
from that site:

myth #1: squatting must not be done with a full range of motion or you will hurt your knees.

This is probably the worst myth of all. It's one of those "well known facts" which is mysteriously unsupported in the research (it's a well known fact that as soon as you say "it's a well known fact", you won't be able to back it up). According to this myth, full squats (a squat in which the knee joint is taken through a full range of motion, so that at the bottom the hamstrings make contact with the calves) are inherently dangerous, particularly to the knee joint.

While biomechanical research does support the fact that forces on the connective tissues of the knee increase with the knee angle, particularly on the posterior cruciate ligament, there is no evidence that these increased forces actually lead to injury. There is no direct evidence that full squatting causes or even exacerbates knee pain nor damage. I do not know of a single documented case where full squatting led directly to knee injury. Not one! Which is pretty amazing, considering that the clinical literature is positively littered with injury narratives. You'd think we'd see some evidence, but there is nothing, nada, zero. Studies of Olympic weightlifters and powerlifters, both of whom squat with heavy loads, show no increased risk of knee damage in either population. Olympic lifters, in particular, regularly drop to full depth under hundreds of pounds, perhaps as often a hundred times a week or more, for years, and yet their knees are healthier than those of people such as skiiers, jumpers, or runners. No study, short or long term, has ever shown an increase in knee laxity from deep squatting.

"Anyone who says that full squats are 'bad for the knees' has, with that statement, demonstrated conclusively that they are not entitled to an opinion about the matter.

People who know nothing about a topic, especially a very technical one that requires specific training, knowledge, and experience, are not due an opinion about that topic and are better served by being quiet when it is asked about or discussed. For example, when brain surgery, or string theory, or the NFL draft, or women's dress sizes, or white wine is being discussed, I remain quiet... But seldom is this the case when orthopedic surgeons, athletic trainers, physical therapists, or nurses are asked about full squats. Most such people have absolutely no idea what a full squat even is, and they certainly have no concept of how it affects the knees, unless they have had additional training beyond their specialties, which for the professions mentioned does not include full squats. Because if these people knew anything about squatting and the difference between a full squat and any other kind of squat and what they do to the knees, they would know that 'full squats are bad for the knees' is wrong and thus would not be making such a ridiculous statement."

Mark Rippetoe, author of Starting Strength, "Going Deep". Crossfit Journal September 2006: 6.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/12/01, 12:23 PM
Can I come that would be cool!

--------------

flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/12/01, 12:01 PM
Alright Wrestler, I just tried a squat in my office (hope no one saw me!) I have a radiator that is at knee level and without shoes, fairly wide stance, I can squat just below the radiator-about 6 inches below. I think maybe the difference comes in when I'm holding a barbell on my shoulders. With the barbell, I don't lean foward as much as I can without weight. In both instances I do not have my knees passing my feet! Maybe I am going lower than I think with the barbell. I'll have to work on this one......

Next time I'm in Rochester I may send you a note and you can teach me a thing or 2--then you could have your own "plate bitch":laugh:
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/12/01, 11:48 AM
I dunno, I only shift forward if I narrow my stance. I can't imagine getting any lower, my hips just physically won't allow it, even with no weight. Wish I could video tape me doing squats and then you could asses my form. I honestly think my form is good though. I can't really see myself from the side to truly assess just how low I go. Maybe I'll try looking for a box that is at least below knee level and see how I do. Interesting challenge...
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2006/12/01, 11:44 AM
Fly--that would be really cool to join her for a workout. I just thought her website was awesome--so much to read and I've barely touched it. She really sounds like she knows her stuff.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/01, 11:41 AM
Stop making excuses then. I would still bet it is an issue with form, especially since you mentioned shifting forward. I'm sure you could learn a thing or two and it would be well worth it.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/12/01, 10:23 AM
I tried as BA suggested and narrowed my stance a bit, but no go. It causes me to shift too far forward. I'm sure it is a problem with my hips because I can actually feel that my left hip could go lower than my right! I currently go as low as my hips will allow-which is about 90.

The Stumptuous website is very cool. Krista, aka stumptuous, lives in Toronto and does a "mistress sunday" every few months where women can join her for a workout. I've tried to go a couple of times, including last Sunday, but life keeps getting in the way(had to visit father-in-law in hospital). I'm going to try again in the New Year. She is also involved with a womens boxing gym downtown Toronto, it's actually where the last workout took place, and i always thought that would be very cool to try! I'd love to add boxing to my list of activities:)
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2006/12/01, 06:54 PM
opps..correction..my husband reminded me it was 16,12 @ 10# on each side, 10 % 8 @ 20 on each side..
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2006/12/01, 06:53 PM
okies...i know you folks probably wont believe me cause im a noob...but i tried this tonite at the gym on a smith machine..is that considered cheating?..

anyways..i was able to do these all the way...very light weight mind you cause i was scared to hurt myself.....16 & 12 @ 5# then 10 & 8 @ 10#....it burned my quads alittle..

I didnt notice any effect on my knees til i got on the treadmill..then i felt a slight sensation..not really soreness..but kinda..hehehe..anyways..my husband watched me and said my form was perfect..he was actually impressed how deep i went.... sooo..maybe I can do these so well cause im short? *shrug* but ty for the post and i will continue with these without much hesitation but with carefulness :)
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/01, 09:32 PM
Ron, I agree. However, I feel it is much safer to go much deeper with MUCH less weight, then continue to add weight before the stability is there.

Most people that squat and half squat at that, are usually doing 2 times what I do, only half as deep. What do you think is easier on the knees.

Squatting to parallel is an ego check, and a safety check. If you can't get to parallel with it, it doesn't belong on your knees.

And could you reexplain the first part of your post. I'm lost?

--------------
Iron and chalk.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/12/02, 10:10 AM
I think the first part of his post is referring to stumptuous.com.

I also think the squat is something that has to be evaluated on a person-to-person basis and that each person's ability and biomechanics, including flexibility - knee strength, quad function, etc, has to be taken into account.

Going to parallel is a functional movement - my mother, for example, is nearly 70 years old, I have her squat onto the bench and back up, she doesn't need to and probably couldn't go lower at this point. But being able to get up and down off the chair/couch/car is important.

My clients who have knee issues can't always go to parallel - we work down as far as is okay and focus on creating a better support system of strong, balanced muscle around their knees before trying to get deeper into squats.

There is a huge difference between athletes and clients who are injured/weak, old, avergae or low fitness level.

But you are right - i have seen those people who load the bar up and then do 1/4 squats, and I have wondered what their goal is...

--------------

Walter Elliott
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/02, 11:24 AM
Obviously it's subjective. Notice I posted this in the intermediate/advanced forum? This is not directed towards rehabilitative clients and injured individuals.

However, for those that can squat, knee issues are often an excuse. In many cases, knee problems can be alleviated by squatting deeper (and wider), because of reduced load, corrections between quad/hamstring imbalances causing shifts in the patella and tightness in around the joint, and improved gluteal function and a reduced incidence of gluteal amnesia.

You say quad function like you have ever had a client for whom this was a problem? Other than in trauma victims (obviously not intermediate/advanced lifters) who have had serious leg damage, there is no reason a quad would not fire properly. In fact, I'm not even sure what would cause this? This interests me.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/12/02, 12:33 PM
The first part of my post is pretty simple....it is in direct response to the link you yourself posted from the website. His only credible statement is one that is completely against his stance. Did not read your own post???
============
Quoting from wrestler125:

And could you reexplain the first part of your post. I'm lost?

=============

--------------
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/12/02, 12:40 PM
I wonder this too...from the last post, knee issues can be alleviated by squatting deeper, reduced load, corrections..etc....wonder why they so many squatters that do any kind of weight wrap their knees?

Maybe they just want to look cool. :)

Again, if you are not competing nor plan to, you are competing against noone but yourself. Anyone who 'knows me' knows that I was weened in a black iron gym, FROM on everything.

Everyone's FROM may not be the same. Analyze your abilities....there actually is very little difference in the end for the 'weekend' trainee between parallel and A to G. The only progress made from sitting on the couch in the battle of the bulge is to gain more bulge.

--------------
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/02, 01:32 PM
Powerlifters wrap their knees because it helps them out of the hole and keeps their knees in line. Powerlifters don't reduce load, they do everything in their power to increase it. This isn't a powerlifting post.

And I'm not debating the difference between ATG and parallel, but the difference between parallel and a quarter squat. 90% of gym squats I see, and I spend A LOT of time in the gym (training, working, coaching) are done by shooting the knee's forward till there is a 90 degree bend at the knee. This is dangerous with any kind of load, much less the loads I see used. If you do not have the stability and muscular strength/coordination to go to parallel, then the weight does not belong on your back.

Would you like me to write a disclaimer before every post Ron? This is not the powerlifting forum, or the beginners forum, or the injury forum. It is addressed to those healthy enough to squat, and the point is to address the fact that what most lifters do is unsafe. I have had to ask people to leave the gym for loading WAY to much weight on and quarter squatting. I've seen it to the extent where they could hardly walk it in and rerack the weight.

I am not addressing competeing with others. But to get the most out of your training, and in order to stay injury free, these are my recommendations. For anyone that can not reach parallel despite adjustments in technique, there are other ways to train your legs. I know of coaches today that don't have their athletes back squat at all. Mike Boyle and Alwyn Cosgrove have both eliminated the back squat in favor of front squats and added hamstring work.

However, if you are squatting, go deeper before you add more weight. If you squat 50 more pounds and squat with an inch less ROM, then you are not getting stronger. You are only putting 50 more pounds on your back and legs.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/12/02, 01:48 PM
You are correct, this is not a powerlifting forum. And you are right, there is alot of difference between parallel and a quater squat. Never said otherwise...

What I said if you read the post was there is very little difference in parallel and A to G squats except risk of injury for the typical 'weekend warrior'. Most folks on these forums...look who replied to your post...most only women....read fly's posts...she just probably does not have that range of motion, and will end up getting hurt. Telling someone to 'keep at it' and don't make excuses is using blinders...these folks are afer one thing, to be in shape.

I too am speaking of getting the most out of your training....The only thing gained in the battle of the bulge if you are sitting on the couch from an injury is more bulge. Work within yourself, your range of motion.

My argument is not against FROM in any way, my argument is simply do what you can do, you are not wrong if you don't break parallel, and may in fact be right depending on your situation.

--------------
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/02, 10:24 PM
Good point.

I'll agree that forcing FROM is not a good idea, however, if you can't hit parallel for some reason, and you think it is flexibility, then try working with someone that knows how to coach the squat properly. I have never worked with a client who I thought SHOULD BE SQUATTING who couldn't reach parallel. Some take work, most don't yet have the muscular coordination. However, flexibility is not the case as often as people think.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/12/01, 01:13 PM
In this post, the poster gives but one credible statement, "While biomechanical research does support the fact that forces on the connective tissues of the knee increase with the knee angle, particularly on the posterior cruciate ligament"....ok, what this means is the knees are stressed heavily...add weight to the equation...

Pretty daming in itself, yet the rest of the 'article' gives no evidence but some rambling post about people don't deserve replies, and womens bra sizes. Cover ups and strawman tactics.

No problems with deep squats....tell that to all the folks on lifting boards in the injury areas crying about knees, namely connective tissue(ligaments and joints). Not one case, huh?

And that site posted...to use a baby as a guideline as how things are done. Babies can be like a gumby, can you?

Listen, if you are competing, this is one thing. Unless you are trying to be competitive against the other lifters, you are ultimately competing against yourself anyhow. Longevity of what you are doing, a healthy lifestyle change is what is important. Get an injury, guess what...you sit on the couch.

I am simply saying to folks who are not competitors, whatever, be careful here.

--------------
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/03, 12:02 PM
Tightness in the thighs usually manifests itself in the hip flexors and iliotibial band, occasionally the adductors. This in turn causes knees to fall in, poor gluteal activation, and weak hamstrings. The quads can be weak, but I've never seen a case where they exhibited poor function without direct trauma. I'm not argueing with you, only trying to figure out what you mean because I am curious.

I'm also not saying that you are teaching incorrectly. I am saying that those that are not taught to squat, those not fortunate enough to have a trainer. Look around your gym assimmer, if everyone there is squatting correctly, I want to come train there.

And fly, I should explain that by breaking parallel I mean by .5 to an inch. My reasoning for this isn't that it is some "standard" but rather because hip flexor function ceases at 90 degrees, and as soon as your thigh is below your knee you are working on a different activation patern.

I only prescribe ATG for CERTAIN athletes and olympic weightlifters.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/12/02, 11:10 PM
Also good points....

--------------
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/12/03, 09:24 AM
hmmm...now your talking about reaching parallel...thought the point you were trying to make was going past parallel.

============
Quoting from wrestler125:

Good point.

I'll agree that forcing FROM is not a good idea, however, if you can't hit parallel for some reason, and you think it is flexibility, then try working with someone that knows how to coach the squat properly. I have never worked with a client who I thought SHOULD BE SQUATTING who couldn't reach parallel. Some take work, most don't yet have the muscular coordination. However, flexibility is not the case as often as people think.

=============
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/12/03, 10:40 AM
"You say quad function like you have ever had a client for whom this was a problem? Other than in trauma victims (obviously not intermediate/advanced lifters) who have had serious leg damage, there is no reason a quad would not fire properly. In fact, I'm not even sure what would cause this? This interests me. "

I am talking about people whose legs are imbalanced from tightness or injury or their joints aren't moving the way they should be.
I am not going to argue with you, I don't have to prove how much I know about quad function.

I stick with my first statement that everyone needs to find their own groove and squat to their own level of ability - they should just naturally improve if they stick with it.

I don't know who is teaching a squat where the knees shoot out over the feet. I always teach clients to sit back, reaching with their butt as if someone is stealing their chair and they are tryiong to catch it. knees never go forward.

--------------

Walter Elliott
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/12/03, 01:50 PM
Damn it! Why do I get nulled when I'm logged on?Damn it! Why do I get nulled when I'm logged on?

Anyway the above post is me.:big_smile:
2006/12/03, 05:13 PM
No one really squats at my gym and those that do go way to heavy with 1/4 reps. Step by step what is the proper form for squats?

--------------
Beyond Training, Beyond Experience, Nutrition Wins
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2006/12/04, 06:13 AM
for myself i think im gonna pass on any kinda barbell squats for awhile... when wrestler told me that they didnt count on a smith machine it kinda broke my motivation and interest as I dont have anyone to spot me usually..my husband and I are usually at the gym at different times..he just happen to be off work that day that i tried it on the smith machine..

its too overwhelming at this time for a beginner like me to try and coordinate everything with my diet, my time, and then with small, technical, yet important things, like deeper squats..

I want to do my exercises properly as Im scared as heck to get hurt. I will keep doing my best, and until im stronger i will stick with basics.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/12/04, 08:42 AM
Wrestler told you smith machine squats don't count? Hmm. They may not be as effective and don't recruit as many stabilizers, but i would say that if the choice is smith machine squats or no squats at all - do the smith machine squats!

Another thing - if you have a form question when you are at the gym - ask a trainer to help you - you don't need to buy a session to have them demonstrate one exercise - they should be happy to help you.

If you are nervous about barbell squats - try starting with dumbbell squats - you can just hold the dumbebells in your hands at your sides, then sit back as if you are trying to reach a chair that is a little too far back. go down to your comfort level, as you get more familiar with the movement you will be able to get more range of motion.

Ka - I am sure the 'proper' form for squatting has been posted before...but here is how I teach it:

Step into the rack, bend at your kness slightly to get under the bar, shrug your traps up to create a meat shelf to rest the bar on, grab the bar with your hands at a comfortable width for your elbows - farther out is more comfortbale usually, stand up under the bar and step backwards to clear the bar holders.Relax your traps once you have unracked the bar. You shouldn't have to lean forward to keep the bar in place and you shouldn't feel shoulder strain from trying to keep the bar up. Some people have no problem findnig their comfortable spot to rest the bar, others have to shift it a little. I always use a pad, most of my clients are older ladies who just don't have the muscle built up for cushioning, so a pad is nice, and I like it, too :).

Okay, now you are standing in the rack with a bar on your traps/shoulders... step your feet out hip wodith apart, maybe a little wider. I have clients march in place (before adding the bar) a few steps, then stop - where their feet end up is usually a comfortable width for them. With women, I tell them to turn their toes out slightly. You will need to find your comfortable position there, as well.

Now, look up at the spot where the wall meets the ceiling, this will keep your chest lifted and your back from bending forward and stressing out. Keeping that position, you can start bending at the hip, reaching behind you with your butt, the knees bend because they have to, they don't bend first and they don't lead the movement. Keep your weight on your whole foot - no tipping forward onto your toes or rocking back on your heels - think wide flat feet for a good base. Squat down as far as you are comfortable, if your back position changes too much you need to build up some strength before adding weight.

Okay, now you are 'sitting' with the bar on your traps, to come out of your squat you want to think about straightening your legs while pushing up with your butt. Tighten all the muscles you can in your legs and drive the weight up,I think it helps to visualize that you are actually pushing the floor away like a leg press, stopping when you get back to your top position, rechecking your form for a second, then descending back down for the next rep.

rememebr to bend in your knees, not your back when racking/unracking the bar.

And remember to breath! In as you lower, out as you drive upward.

If I left anything out, I am sure someone will add their opinion!

--------------

Walter Elliott
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/12/04, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the clarification wrestler...makes a big difference and actually confirms that I am squatting correctly. Valesca, don't avoid the Smith. I was able to progress to the BB by first learning to wall squat, then bench squat (no wt) then smith and then I finally progressed to BB. I think my trainers constant comment was stick that butt out! Now, when i increase wt, if I can't maintain form and suat at least to paralle, I lower the wt until I can maintain form. I still use the Smith on occasion. At my gym, not too many people squat with BB, but those that do typically have good form. I have to admit though, that the ones piling on the wt are only doing 1/4 squats.
1 2 of 2 pages resultset_next resultset_last