Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

6-pack abs for girls

ukchic1
ukchic1
United States
2002/10/24, 02:59 PM
I'm a 30yo female who's decided I want 6-pack abs and quick. I'm currently doing 3 days at the gym with each session doing 4 sets 10 Roman Chair and another 4 sets 10 on a Nautilus machine w/abouy 30lb weight (plus my other usual exercise split). Any advice on anything else I should be doing to get that fab mid-section?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/10/24, 07:21 PM
Well, first and foremost, what is your diet like? You can work your abs forever, but if your diet isn't right, they will never show. Abs are a direct result of diet moreso than anything. If you are heavy, overweight, etc., if you build your abs, you will just look bigger! The new stomach muscles will just push out the fat that much more from underneath. More info would help.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/10/25, 02:34 AM
Well the good news is that it's actually easier for us women to get a six pack (because we tend to carry more fat on the lower part than on the upper part of our bodies)
The "bad" news is that it's all a question about bodyfat and DIET!

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
ukchic1
ukchic1
United States
2002/10/25, 07:37 AM
Thanks. I'm a actually only 115 and 5'4". I do suffer from water retention sometimes - well, what woman doesn't! I'm starting to revise my diet: eating smaller meals more often, more fruit/veg, less fat (the hard part!) and some good protein every day.

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

Well, first and foremost, what is your diet like? You can work your abs forever, but if your diet isn't right, they will never show. Abs are a direct result of diet moreso than anything. If you are heavy, overweight, etc., if you build your abs, you will just look bigger! The new stomach muscles will just push out the fat that much more from underneath. More info would help.
=============
DanielleJ
DanielleJ
United States
2004/04/12, 02:09 AM
hi, my name is Danielle and im 16 .. i have a boyfriend who comes home in 3months and due to my depression i have to take this medicine that makes me gain weight a little .. does anyone think it is possible for me to loose a little of this weight and look hot when he comes home? i have tried diet pills but its not working, i have tried crunches and i only get a 2 pack.. i want the ones on the bottom to show also!!! i am curently eating better foods because my mother just found out she was diabetic and now we all eat the way she does .. can anyone help me out! i would really love it!!
..Danielle..
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/04/12, 09:02 PM
1st off if he realy likes you/loves you he will careless what you look like........2nd diet and excercise.........to get rid of fat you caloric intake must be less than caloric output.....ex. 2000 calories in. and you burn 2500 in a day.

--------------
.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!
......minds are not vessles to be filled, but fires to be enlightened
......Confucious once said ,DO NOT play leap frog with a unicorn

vivavegas02
vivavegas02
United States
2004/04/16, 11:59 AM
HI - I am not sure what kind of meds you are on. I had the same problem at one time. You can ask your doctor if there are other meds you can take that doesn't put on weight gain. Also, have you heard of Topomax? It is used in conjunction with some meds and it helps you to lose weight. It is not a diet pill, it is used for people with depression. Hope this helps!

============
Quoting from DanielleJ:

hi, my name is Danielle and im 16 .. i have a boyfriend who comes home in 3months and due to my depression i have to take this medicine that makes me gain weight a little .. does anyone think it is possible for me to loose a little of this weight and look hot when he comes home? i have tried diet pills but its not working, i have tried crunches and i only get a 2 pack.. i want the ones on the bottom to show also!!! i am curently eating better foods because my mother just found out she was diabetic and now we all eat the way she does .. can anyone help me out! i would really love it!!
..Danielle..
=============
WAnglais1
WAnglais1
United States
2004/04/16, 12:06 PM
You might try Welbutrin. See your doctor. One of the side effects (for some people) is weight loss.

WarODO
WarODO
Canada
2004/04/18, 10:58 AM
I would guess (can't do much else, because I'm nowhere near as knowledgable about exercise as most people here) that the reason you only develop a 2 pack by doing these crunches is because the crunch exercise is only meant to work the upper abs. There are things like leg raises for the lower abs, and various twisted crunch like positions for the obliques.

============
Quoting from DanielleJ:

..Danielle..
=============
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/04/18, 12:25 PM
The crunch exercise actually works the entire six-pack, as it is one muscle. Seperating upper and lower abs is a misunderstanding. You can do different exercises where you will feel one end of the muscle more than another, but it is always the same muscle working.

A consistent diet and exercise plan will get you abs.

Philia - we get them easier? You must be a different species of female than I am, my hips and glutes came in before my abs!!! Augh!:big_smile:

--------------
If you fall down seven times, get up eight.
Hellscream
Hellscream
United Kingdom
2004/04/18, 02:14 PM
does anyone know where the 7-8th abs is? I think its on the very top cos I cant see how it can get any lower than my 2 bottom ones or in the middle.
XxangelicalxX
XxangelicalxX
United Kingdom
2005/09/04, 03:18 PM
im 14 female and weigh 96 lbs am 5 ft 1 tall and want a 6 pack fast pls help!!!
5p829zr7wg
5p829zr7wg
United States
2005/09/05, 01:24 PM
lol jimi1105 im not sure who it was i think that it was a post by asimmer but she said that to have a six pack visible you have to be under 8%bf and women should not go under 10% or something like that because genetically its unhealthy for women and you should focus more on just having a flat stomach with nices oblique to frame it. rarely do you see women with a rip and shredded six pack
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/09/08, 01:17 PM
What does it matter to you? she has a goal, and is looking for help in achieving it. If she is working for it, then I am sure she has a reason for it. Many men think that muscle on a female looks very sexy. I think it means a lot when a girl takes the time to care for her body enough to set goals and work to achieve them.

--------------
Your two most important minerals: Iron and Chalk.

If you smoke or don’t wear your seatbelt, please don’t tell me the deadlift is dangerous.
Lonegirl
Lonegirl
Canada
2005/09/08, 04:24 PM
I am glad you said that wrestler! I believe it is important to have goals in sight! It is one thing to maintain the ultra low bodyfat as it isn't healthy...but to achieve it is great....it is a goal I too have...First the bikini then the abs.
5p829zr7wg
5p829zr7wg
United States
2005/09/10, 10:11 PM
lol jimi, and wrestler thats my opinion and if you read my post again i never said that she shouldnt get them i just said that i dont think its healthy not one time did i say that she shouldnt have them i just gave her my "OPINION" and what i think. now would i be wrong if i said.
what does it matter to you women with a six pack are not sexy and shouldnt have goals?? NO so dont go off on me because you dont agree with what i said all you have to do is post your own opinion instead of starting trouble
jerseyguy1
jerseyguy1
United States
2006/10/09, 04:53 PM
Six pack abs are obtained in two parts. First part is diet and it’s best to eat low sugars and many small meals. Rather than 3 big meals a day, you want to eat 6-8 small meals. It keep s your metabolism up and burns food more efficiently.
You obviously want proper exercises as well, that’s the second part. Give these exercises a try they're complete with free videos that shows proper technique.
http://beauty.expertvillage.com/interviews/abdominal-exercises.htm
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/10/09, 04:57 PM
more commercials
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/10, 08:58 AM
yawn, thanks for dragging up a useless old post and adding info that has been posted already, this site has good ab programs and demo pictures available.

I know you were probably just trying to help...

--------------

I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor.
-Henry David Thoreau
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/10/14, 12:07 PM
Yep, women at 14% should be seeing their abs nicely. It is really unwise for a woman to go much lower than 12% as Amy says. 12% is usually considered about the lower limit of healthy body fat levels for a female.

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
abworkouts
abworkouts
United States
2010/03/30, 08:31 AM
Good to see that you are fitness loving person like me. You must do Curls, pushups, situps, crunch and reverse crunch, jogging,Cable rotation, pull ups ,running and other strength exercise to be gain abs. Also take healthy nutritious diet such as protein rich supplements, veggies etc. Set your workout routine and start following it. I got nice abs in 2 months through abworkouts.me