Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Burning Body Fat!

pooh7652
pooh7652
United States
2002/07/21, 04:41 PM
Hey I have been learning that you can exercise your muscles and see no improvement you must burn that body fat!! Do I have to go on a diet to burn the body fat or is a cardio exercise such as walking just as good?
Esha
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/07/22, 02:26 AM
Well dear pooh, it all comes together like in a big harmony...... Weight training, cardio, diet, rest.....

If you really want great results, then yes you have to make it all go together. It's a lifestyle not just for four weeks.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
Mathiau
Mathiau
Costa Rica
2002/07/22, 03:20 AM
exactly!

your fat will just cover up your muscles, and usually result in less "detail" when u burn the fat, the muscle shows through!!

so burn baby burn!!! .....disco, i mean fat inferno!..lol

<--- will keep my day job for sure!

this is why u can see large people (no detail), but they are vary strong, they just don't burn off the overlaying fat layers, but have plenty of muscle under neath.

--------------
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯The trouble with life is there’s no background music¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯Some people are alive only because it’s illegal to kill them¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯God must love stupid people, he made so many of them¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯Life ain't short, your just dead for too frick'n dam long!`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸They know what is what, but they don't know what is what, they just strut,WTF!¸.·´¯)

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2002/07/22, 08:13 AM
I happen to be one of those "large" people....I regularly get asked how much I weigh when I tell people they can not believe it since to most I look less than the 300 I do weigh. The only way to see those muscles is to cardio and diet the right ways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------
"When in danger, or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout" LIFT HARD AND OFTEN!!!!!!
alissab
alissab
United States
2002/07/22, 12:41 PM
Hello everyone,
Alright, I have been working out on and off for about 2 weeks. I am not seeing the difference in my body that i want, probably because I keep eating that junk food that is not good for me or drinking that soda. I NEED HELP with this big time. I am trying to burn off the fat on my belly, not alot just some skin that has been stretched from having kids. I just started walking because I hate the gym. Maybe if I looked good I would like it, but now no way. Is walking a good way to lose it? I know that the diet has to get better and it will, BECAUSE I WANNA LOOK LIKE I DID BEFORE I HAD THE BABIES. HELP ME PLEASE

thanks guys and please take it easy!!!
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/07/22, 12:50 PM
You have to walk pretty briskly to be effective. The goal is to get your heart rate up and keep it there for 15-20 minutes. However if you keep eating junk food and drinking soda it's not going to do you any good. I have a friend that is driving me nuts because she won't diet, she won't exercise properly, yet she's going to go to the Doctor to ask why she can't lose weight!

--------------
Practice does NOT make perfect. Perfect practice does.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2002/07/22, 12:52 PM
Ok first this is to remember that this can take a little time. Next try to cut out all soda and replace it with water. Third is to stop eating as much of the junk food as you can (keep a "cheat day") that will help keep the cravings at bay. Last is the cardio and weight lifting. Good luck

--------------
"When in danger, or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout" LIFT HARD AND OFTEN!!!!!!
Lumina20
Lumina20
United States
2002/07/22, 06:57 PM
Results don't come overnight, you just have to keep at it. You don't like the gym? That doesn't mean you can't workout at home. Get some dumbells, a bench, and a mat, and you're good to go. When you get tired of it, you may just find yourself in that gym.
roni0906
roni0906
United States
2002/07/23, 07:55 AM
Okay, my problem with doing cardio was that I was keeping my heart rate at 85-90. I was burning muscle along with fat. The trick is to keep your heartrate low (65-75) for a period of 45 min-60 min. Once I started doing this 3x per week along with heavier cardio 3x per week. I started to lose more fat and not the muscle. That was the best advice my personal trainer has givin me.

--------------
Lisa
dsarco
dsarco
United States
2002/07/24, 01:59 PM
To burn fat, its as simple as intaking less calories then you are burning. Of course, there are many things that go into how many calories you burn in a day.

--------------
Anything can be done
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/07/24, 04:09 PM
Target heart rates vary...

--------------
Practice does NOT make perfect. Perfect practice does.
pooh7652
pooh7652
United States
2002/07/26, 01:06 AM
Well thanks for all the HELP!!! Like alissab I am trying to get rid of that tummy fat, I am not fat but I am thin the thing is my tummy is too big for my body so you know, I have to work on it! I will try walking or jogging at least 3 times a week and cutting out on those sodas, I eat healthy meals, but I have a big appetite, should I eat smaller portions, since it is said eating alot stretches your stomach!! Thanks again!!! Oh if I get busy one day and can't exercise but make it up on my rest days is that ok??
Esha/ pooh
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/07/26, 02:44 AM
Yes it's better to eat several small portions during the day than just three big. Why? Because you'll keep up the metabolism, you'll give all the needed nutrition to your body during the whole day, you'll keep your blood sugar and insulin under control, you'll not be as hungry AND you'll burn more calories since each digestion will burn around 200-300 extra calories.....

Et voila, just like magic, and you'll loose weight! (-;

About the exercise, it's always better to DO it, than not to......

--------------
- Nina :o) Vous êtes tous magnifiques!
pooh7652
pooh7652
United States
2002/07/27, 01:52 AM
thankx, will do!!! Burn baby Burn!
Esha
shannonjersey
shannonjersey
United States
2006/01/09, 11:51 PM
ok so, what is the best heart rate for fat burning? I'm new to the gym and in 3 days I've lost 6 lbs. but I want that to be fat!! Only fat!!! So, what is the best plan of action? I really need some help in what the best and quickest way to do this, I'm so tired of feeling like a frump! And although it's only been 3 solid days, I've been working really hard and have no intention of stopping. I just want to make sure I'm doing this right, so any input is greatly, greatly appreciated!
Thanks
fighting_london
fighting_london
United States
2006/01/12, 12:27 AM
http://exercise.about.com/cs/fitnesstools/l/bl_THR.htm

There's a target heart rate calculator.
fatcow23
fatcow23
United States
2006/09/06, 06:57 PM
i am so fustrated. i stopped eating the junk, and i drop the sodas and sugar drinks. i exercise every day walking up hill then down, then up and down again, for an hour. i rest every 2 days (like workout mon. and tues. and rest on wend. then thursday n friday work, get it) but i havent lost any weight..... whats up with that.
learner
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2006/09/06, 10:02 PM
Take a little time to do some research through the forums. There are many people on this site who are/have experienced many of the same things you are feeling.

There is a lot of great information on this site, you just need to take a little time to read it all. It all comes down to time. Think of how long it has taken to get your body the way it currently is.....now why would it all of a sudden change in a fraction of that time? Keep chugging, you'll get there.
yo2
yo2
United States
2007/01/09, 08:08 AM
hey what do you think the best exercise for muscle development is for pecs?

Thanks
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2007/01/09, 08:51 AM
http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/search_main.jsp?query=pecs
lfalle
lfalle
Canada
2007/01/09, 05:11 PM
I have lost weight and now I'm trying to get my arms, legs, glutes in shape. Is it possible or is there to much extra skin to do so.
sbroyhill
sbroyhill
United States
2007/01/09, 05:49 PM
I will answer this question as I understand it. If you lost the weight the safe proper way, which is through lots of exercise, proper diet, and hard work/sweat, your skin should get to the correct size of your body. If you lost the weight by way of starvation (severe calorie deficiency) or by surgery, then cosmetic surgury is one of the only ways to lose all the loose skin. By severe calorie deficiency I mean by having about 1500+ calories under your maintenance in an attempt to lose a lot of weight faster than your body was designed to.
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/01/09, 07:57 PM
that would mean like me eating only 300 calories a day..lol
i look at food and take in that much hehehe

just joking around....but that IS a serious deficit..when i first started reading it i was like uh oh..then i chuckled..

============
Quoting from sbroyhill:

By severe calorie deficiency I mean by having about 1500+ calories under your maintenance in an attempt to lose a lot of weight faster than your body was designed to.
=============
crayzze
crayzze
United Kingdom
2007/04/11, 05:47 AM
i thought i was doing all the right things but i now realise there is more i can do, i go to the gym nearly every day trying to burn fat but i don't think i have the correct eatig plan. Any suggestions would be very welcome:surprised:

--------------
crayzze
keysimatt
keysimatt
United Kingdom
2007/07/16, 05:16 PM
RIGHT! ok guys, im quite fit, do martial arts and still look like grizzly adams, now lets be realistic, i get to work at 6 am, so im not running before work, i have a small gym area with some dumbells and punchbags for my fighting, which im bloody good at, but i need some help with diet,
Please dont get all technical with heartrate and wires and gadgets, can someone help me out with fat burning diet, seriously, not exersise tips, just diet
thanks guys.
matto
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2007/07/17, 08:46 AM
Matt, first off, you'd be better to make a fresh post in the food and nutrition, you'll get more responses that way. I'm going to keep it really simple, but if you want more information/details go to the food and nutrition forum and read the thumbtacked posts.

1. Eat every 3-4 hours during the day.
2. Each feeding should include lean protien(chicken,eggs, lean beef, healthy fats(olive oil, nuts, avacado), veggies and limited fruit. You can have things like whole wheat pasta, brown rice, oatmeal and whole grain bread, but keep it in moderation (say 1-2 feedings/day)
3. Eat enough. Many people eat to little which slows their metabolism. Generally if you eat how suggested above and cut out packaged/junk food, you won't have to count calories.
4. Eat lots of protien. Personally I use a protien suppliment to make smoothies which I use occasionally for snacks or breakfast. Through protien, yogurt, water, frozen berries, into a blender and drink...yummy Again, a full serving of protien at every feeding.
5. Work out hard, not long. You say you have this under control so I won't comment. But sometimes changing up your routine is helpful.
5. Keep hydrated with water.
6. Get rid of all the junk food in the house.

Simple, but it works!
eddie99669
eddie99669
United States
2007/07/23, 05:15 AM
Hey people, I am fat. But getting in shape quickly. This is not easy to do but if you are looking to lose weight safely and with plenty of nutrients. also detoxing at the same time.Then look in to ISAGENTICS. I lost 37 lbs in 45 days

--------------
Ak-boy
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/07/23, 10:20 AM
Nice advertisement there.
blazinmrh
blazinmrh
United States
2007/07/23, 01:29 PM
I am 22 years old and in the worst physical shape of my life. Before starting college I was extremely active. I played atlernated between football and lacrosse seasons and worked out regularly. Through my four years at college gained about 25 pounds. My father recently had a heart attack and that has scared me into getting back into shape. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get started (Workout and nutrition advise)???
bibiouch
bibiouch
United States
2007/07/24, 01:41 AM
blazinmrh,
i am also 22...sometimes it can be a critical age (like teenage years), lots of changes can criple in....like you going to college....i personally have moved around A LOT, changed jobs, schools and obviously places and therefore my working out routines(or should i say schedule) have changed ONE TOO MANY TIMES in the last 2-3 years.....the result of this were 30 extra pounds that i have gained in 2004. Now i have lost thos in the first 10 months od the following year, right after i DECIDED i was going to introduce some discipline into my life's routine....i have embraced the secret of reduced portioning and regularly working out....almost any kind of activity, at least 30 minutes a day....try aim for an hour......of cardio (jogging, walking, biking, basketball...etc)
trust me- it works!! you just have to PERSERVERE
-now to answer your question:
1- i believe you have to DECIDE you're going to do something about you well being, and why not about your looks (which we all know are important...if not for anyone else for yourself)....and once you've decided...STICK WITH THAT DECISION!! Do NOT allow yourself to slack off!!
Use the principle of "delayed gratificaton"
for example: if you decide you're going to work out 5 days a week, MEAN IT!! and that SETTLES IT!!...that way, when day 3 comes and you feel kind of lazy or in the "blues" and wonder if you really want to go jogg?! (Or whatever the choice of exercise) you won't have to let another 2nd thought slow you down, because you have allready DECIDED that you are going to do this at the begining of the week (or month or year..), because YOU UNDERSTOOD THE BENEFITS you are going to get out of it and because YOU DESIRE A GOOD HEALTH AND A FIT BODY...and voilla!!!..that settles it... it leaves no room for "lazy self-talk" and you're on your way to SUCCESS
2- if you have no idea of how to start a regular fitness program, you are in the right place. set up your fitness profile, decide what type of work out you might be able (and willing) to do, what area of your body most needs working on...and that sort of info, and after a simple "click" they set you up with a program that is right for you to help you meet your goals
keep up the good attitude and good luck!!
Bianca ;)
mari1
mari1
United States
2009/12/31, 05:07 AM
:)