Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

New topic for the old fogies!

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/11/04, 11:43 AM
Ok, just out of curiosity, how many of us are retired, about to retire, and what is it you do now, or used to do. How do you keep up with your fitness goals? What is most important to you in fitness...i.e...strength training, functional training, etc. Feel free to post a reply to one or all of these topics. I think on the new site I will start a group for us old folks to discuss these issues, keep it light and entertaining.:big_smile:

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2007/11/11, 06:33 PM
Yo Ron!

I'm 45 and hoping to retire by 50 or 55.

Now vs. Then:
=============
More cardio than before (elliptical, bike, treadmill)
More focus on core strength (fitness ball, abs)
Lighter weights than 5-10 years ago (injuries)

Keep Up With Fitness Goals:
============================
Mirror
Fit of clothes
Balance (life vs. family vs. career/business vs. health)
Priorities (I no longer live to squat 500 pounds)!

Most Important in Fitness:
==========================
Time (as in, maximizing effectiveness)
Variety (enjoyment)

Hope you've been well!

TSMD

2007/11/11, 09:32 PM
Hey Dave and Ron. Gotta think about this one but I'm 54 retired and don't have time to think.

--------------
Aboard the MV \"The Shop\"
somewhere off the coast of SC.

Charlie
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2007/11/12, 03:13 AM
WOW! Look at some strangers coming back to post! :)

Hiya Dave, how you doing guy?:)

--------------
Bettia

Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It is all about timing.
-Stacey Chapman
tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2007/11/12, 09:58 AM
Hi Bettia!

I doing well. And you?

I miss all of you guys terribly, but I'm trying to focus on building my business so that I can retire "young-ish" and have Mrs. TSMD peel and feed me grapes night and day (without worrying about their carb content!LOL).

Seriously, the older I get, the more I realize life is a juggling act. We all have 24 hours to make every day our masterpiece!

TSMD
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/11/12, 08:49 PM
Hey Dave...your 'synopsis' certainly echoes mine now.

I still go heavy in the gym, but do I care if I don't get 5 reps on the bench with 415, but only get 3 one day? Hell no.

I do what I can, still train heavy, but if I feel tired one night, I don't force myself to go to the gym anymore, I simply do what my body tells me to do....rest.

I too plan to retire 'earlish', a maximum of 4 more years. Work has taken a large part of my time these days, again, it is pay now or pay later. Everything is going to my retirement funds at this point.

I have become that person that I used to hate though in many ways, become a slave for the dollar. I am now a 'hired gun' so to speak. Been all over for jobs, whoever wants to pay me the most for my experience.

Just got back from southern California on a job, working back in Colorado. (they were calling me before I finished the Cal job). Thought I would come home for a while.

Contemplating a job in Wyoming, and one in Texas right now. Will see. Looking to buy an RV, been a lifelong goal. We plan to travel upon retirement, I want my home to have wheels! :)

Family life is good, very happy with all. Balancing life with fitness, my wife is completely understanding about the work aspect(besides, the sooner I retire, the sooner she can).

============
Quoting from tenorsaxmandave:

Yo Ron!

I'm 45 and hoping to retire by 50 or 55.

Now vs. Then:

=============

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/11/12, 08:50 PM
Should be 315, not 415.:big_smile:

--------------

Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/11/15, 02:39 PM
I am 46 this year and don't know about retiring...my husband is 36 and I am trying to pretend I am his age most of the time, lol! Actually, I am working at home again doing freelance and work for a magazine in Tennessee and keeping this pace would be great until it's time to "leave". I am feeling better now at 46 than I did at 36, so that says a lot, hoping that the momentum continues, though the morning aches grow stronger, I hope the daily grind grows less!

--------------
Veda

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. - Mabel Newcomber

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. - Napoleon Hill
workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2008/03/19, 08:34 PM
Hey all - I'm trying to get back in the fitness game. I'm now the ripe old age of 50 (don't feel it) but then when you see it.............another story! RETIRE? Hello - I'll be working at Walmart as a greeter until I'm 85...still working though at a hospital for now :o)
Any good fitness books out there for people our age getting back into the fitness "thang"?
2008/03/20, 12:35 AM
I retired 2 years ago at 53. I don't lift anymore. I pretty much do variations on the FT no equipment workout because I found that lifting didn't give me what I needed to do the things I wanted to do. I came in sore from mechanacing, fishing , gardening, landscaping, and just redneck or sailor work in general. I found out that 3 or 4 intense non weight workouts , lots of walking, combined with a great deal of stretching got me through the day better. I can do 3 sets of 12 chinups now and I couldn't do a set of 10 when I was lifting.

Ron, we'd have gotten out of living aboard soon anyway because of fuel expense. At optimum cruise our boat burned 12 gallons in 10 miles. Too much to do to often...while 8 mpg in an RV looks pretty good right now considering you take the bedroom along. We'll see you on the road sometime in a few years, maybe Zion National Park.

Nowadays I have two lovely ladies taking care of me. I do the gardening,landscaping,construction work and they feed me a good clean diet. I'm not sore now and I am at my goal weight. I eat a quarter cup of Walmart jelly beans each day as a reward for retiring. Sorry I didn't post for so long, we were in transition at the time.

--------------

Sometimes life is like herding cats

Charlie
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2008/03/26, 10:31 AM
Hey strangers :) I've been out of the country for most of the last year or so helping the Air Force set up an air traffic system in Afghanistan.

58 in October - I retired from the Navy in '91 and if things work out I'll retire from the contracting business about this time next year. My training routine goes from one extreme to the other since my body clock stays upside down but mostly a maintenance routine when I'm home. I've started a little side line specialty wood working business that's eating up what free time I have but it's proving profitable.
koya1893
koya1893
United States
2008/04/02, 01:08 PM
I am new here so here's my story. Retired from the United States Navy after 22 years of wordeful career. Currently 48 but will be 49 in Sept. I have a 2-5 year plan to retire at 55. My two oldest should be out of college by then. I still hit the gym heavy/hard and some days lite weight but that's not always the case. After doing several lite weight that attitude I have of "I can move mountain" kicks in and the lite day becomes heavy. I know what you mean about that 315lbs bench. That's my 5X5 day weight 5 reps 5 sets day. Able to do that on any given day is what keeps the fire going in me not to mention out performing gym member half my ages. My goal is to push 370lbs of course doing with the four down and two up mind set. Not like the bounce the off my mind set.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/04/02, 01:49 PM
Koya...first off let me say thank you for your service to our country. It is much appreciated.

Second, welcome to our fitness board, and congrats on your fitness level and desire to maintain it. It is cool being that age (I am 56) and still be able to outdo the 20 yr. olds.

This comes as a testament to continuous training, as anyone who starts at our age will probably never be able to do the weights we do.

Glad to have you aboard.

--------------