Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

300 workout

blavigne14
blavigne14
United States
2007/04/18, 05:01 PM
Have you guys heard of the workout that was used to train the actors of 300? It pretty much consisted of lots of reps with different exercises and no rest time. I've been considering giving it a try and wanted to hear peoples opinions on it.
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2007/04/19, 11:59 AM
tough as shit supposedly. only guy who was actually able to do it was the archadian leader guy. no one else could complete it... good luck tho
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/04/19, 12:11 PM
Knock yourself out....

t

THE 300 WORKOUT

Named after the movie and total number of reps, the "300 workout" refers to a one-time test and invitation-only challenge undertaken by those considered ready after considerable conditioning (not recommended for untrained individuals). Many cast and crew finished the non-stop circuit list of exercises in under 20 minutes!

25x pull-up
50x deadlift at 135 lbs.
50x push-up
50x box jump at 24" box
50x floor wiper at 135 lbs.
50x clean and press at 36 lbs.
25x pull-up
300 reps total!

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

- One should not lift like a man or a woman, lift like a human.
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/04/19, 06:02 PM
What's a floor wiper?
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/04/19, 06:07 PM
Not sure, so I googled it...

http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/articles/2007/03/floor_wipers_fr.html

--------------

yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/04/19, 06:11 PM
How they trained
By Valerie Vedral
For RedEye

Published March 29 2007

Here are three of the less well-known?but extremely difficult?exercises that trainer Mark Twight included in workouts for the "300" cast members and stuntmen.

The floor wiper
Lie flat on your back with your heels touching the floor. Hold a barbell weighted to 135 pounds above in front of your face as if you are doing a bench press. Keeping your feet together and legs straight, raise your legs up and touch your feet to one plate. Lower legs to starting position, then raise them and touch other plate. This is one floor wiper.

Kettlebell swing
From a standing position, lift and raise the kettlebell, extending your arms to about a 45-degree angle parallel to the floor. Lower it back to the floor. This helps to develop strong core and shoulder muscles.

Get up or Turkish get up
Lie flat on your back and hold with one hand a weighted bench press barbell above your face. Work your way to a standing position while keeping the barbell stabilized above your head at all times.

--------------

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/04/19, 07:07 PM
I got the impression that much of their physiques was computer enhanced? Am I wrong?

--------------

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/04/19, 07:45 PM
Just so you guys know, one of my lifters (198lber) did that workout completely the first (and only) time he tried it. I'm not saying this to brag, just to point out that someone who competes in powerlifting and strongman had no problem adapting to this workout.

I'm not saying the workout wasn't effictive. Given the time period (short) and goal (get actors LOOKING like they are in shape, ie lose a good amount of bodyfat), I probably would have choosen something similar. The workout is based on a crossfit type program, something I used to do for conditioning in the pre-season when I was wrestling.

However, just because something worked well for one set of goals, does not mean it is perfect for you and your goals. I am tired of hearing "what do you think about the workout guys did in 300". You are not in 300. You are not paid to workout 4-6 times a day and eat designer meals. You do not have 8 hours a day to devote towards getting lean. Your goals may not even be the same.

Sorry to rant, but keep this in mind.

--------------
Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
blavigne14
blavigne14
United States
2007/04/20, 12:57 AM
I thought it was an ongoing work out they did, I didn't realize it was more of a prove yourself thing. I'm not sure if I'm gonna try it, thanks for the info guys.
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2007/04/20, 09:21 AM

============
Quoting from asimmer:

I got the impression that much of their physiques was computer enhanced? Am I wrong?

Yes, you are correct. the woman that played the queen admitted this in an interview. It's not that they weren't in really great shape, the computer just helped a little.

=============
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/04/20, 02:15 PM
It's like the sports illustrated swimsuit edition. Most of those girls are pretty hot to begin with, but computers can fix the minor things that need touching up.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/04/22, 07:39 PM
For the most part thses guys didn't have speacking parts...so most where probably model/actors...they just needed them to be in shape for the movie.

The filter on the camera with the green screen....helped with shadows and gave the impression they where all huge.

--------------
\\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\\"

You have to learn to follow, before you can lead.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/04/22, 07:59 PM
Entire article from www.canoe.ca.

They claim no CGI on the bodies, but lighting can do remarkable things.

A routine fit for a spartan transformed Gerard Butler for "300"
A killer workout
Monique Savin
Sun Media
March 19, 2007

Pectacular! Gerard Butler gets fit for a king ? it's a Greek tragedy Butler hasn't shown off his shirtless torso sooner!

Gerard Butler is an extremely fit King Leonidas in the movie 300. As he will attest, it was not any easy journey.

? Courtesy of Warner Bros. Pictures

"You know that every bead of sweat falling off your head, every weight you've pumped ? the history of that is all in your eyes," Butler tells Men's Health of his dedication to portray Spartan King Leonidas in the stylish action movie, 300.

"That was a great thing, to put on that cape and put on that helmet, and not have to think, 'S--t, I should have trained more.' Instead, I was standing there feeling like a lion."

Butler's body rules, but was it a product of computer-generated imagery (CGI) or real-world training that enabled him to achieve quads of the gods?

Watching other recent period films like Marie Antoinette, it seems most kings were cream puffs, which is why I wondered, how could 300 Greeks hold off hundreds of thousands of Persians?

ANCIENT WARRIORS

The answer lies in understanding ancient Grecian culture which manifested the best of the then-modern world: Philosophy, sculpture, food, poetry, drama, architecture and a vivacious people who exercised courage, pride, love and often threw the best parties ? exactly why Xerxes fought to inhabit it.

Greeks mastered the art of beauty and war from the need to protect their culture from invaders. Spartans, particularly, were always thinking about training for hand-to-hand combat to conquer new lands.

Compared to their enemies, they developed superior mental and physical power through the Hellenic martial arts ? required training for boys from the age of six ? and produced an elite breed of warriors.

FIT FOR A KING

In a CGI environment the filmmaker recreates an unreal world showing how generations of breeding could give the Spartans the advantage and stall the Persians, yet the bodies are very real.

Hard training was the secret. So it seems King Leonidas did have muscle on top of muscle. Butler, however, did not.

"I was not in great shape when I started training for the film," Butler tells Sun Media. "I realized it and, trust me, everyone else did as well."

Butler needed to get fit for a king ? fast. A warrior-like training regime was the focus of physical conditioning and, ever the general, Butler led the charge for cast and crew forced to train.

The challenge then became how to recreate the regime of ancient warriors when modern fitness training uses the specificity principle ? a strategy to train in a certain way to produce a particular change or result.

Even though Greeks invented wrestling and power-lifting, 300 director Zack Snyder felt training true Spartan-style wasn't enough to turn his actors into a gang ? a unified force whose trust and belief in one another would be obvious on the screen.

He hired Mark Twight, Alpine mountaineer and founder of Gym Jones (a private, invitation-only facility where he trains athletes who must petition for candidacy), to create a regime so intense it forced the crew to trust each other to push harder and risk more.

Butler says of Twight's workouts that he would, "Go until you are actually in fear of your life and then go further. Then, you do more."

Twight's training plan combined compound movements, lifting and throwing using simulated "primitive tools" such as medicine balls, and rings ? not machines.

Twight combined weights in 13-minute circuit-training blasts. Aerobic circuit weight training works many muscle groups in a short period and is an effective way to build muscle and burn fat.

Twight would constantly vary the training stimulus with different weight loads so the muscles were shocked, preventing the actors from adapting to the workout.

Exercises were performed sequentially without breaks in between so that a cardiovascular response was also achieved. The cast were lean and mean.

Butler's transformation triumph helped the emotional body of Leonidas take shape.

But, which was more ferocious ? his king or his workout?

Butler exclaims, "Cardio's the killer!"

? ? ? ? ?

THE 300 WORKOUT

Named after the movie and total number of reps, the "300 workout" refers to a one-time test and invitation-only challenge undertaken by those considered ready after considerable conditioning (not recommended for untrained individuals). Many cast and crew finished the non-stop circuit list of exercises in under 20 minutes!

25x pull-up
50x deadlift at 135 lbs.
50x push-up
50x box jump at 24" box
50x floor wiper at 135 lbs.
50x clean and press at 36 lbs.
25x pull-up
300 reps total!

--------------

AW3knirf2001
AW3knirf2001
United States
2007/08/12, 11:08 AM
So I assume that everyone here has seen the 300 video to training the spartans, and the gym jones videos. I was wondering where can I find and buy the harnass and strech bands they were using?
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/08/12, 01:57 PM
you can get the bands from jumpstretch, or elitefts.com

the harness is a pulling harness. APT, Spud inc, and Ironmind all make them for strongman events.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/08/12, 04:31 PM
spoken from a true athlete....if only ppl really listened and realized these ppl have totally different lifestyles than most of us.......i didnt and wish i had a long time ago..would have saved me alot of time, extra work, and money...

============
Quoting from wrestler125:

I'm not saying the workout wasn't effective. Given the time period (short) and goal (get actors LOOKING like they are in shape, ie lose a good amount of bodyfat), I probably would have choosen something similar. The workout is based on a crossfit type program, something I used to do for conditioning in the pre-season when I was wrestling.

However, just because something worked well for one set of goals, does not mean it is perfect for you and your goals. I am tired of hearing "what do you think about the workout guys did in 300". You are not in 300. You are not paid to workout 4-6 times a day and eat designer meals. You do not have 8 hours a day to devote towards getting lean. Your goals may not even be the same.

Sorry to rant, but keep this in mind.

=============
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2008/04/24, 12:39 AM
I was chatting with a gal at the gym today about the 300 Workout...

Interesting read:

http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php?id=35

Also interesting to note, this was an end to means and not a regular workout.

--------------

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove