Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Squat.... DEEPER

resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 of 2 pages
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/12/04, 09:11 AM
Sorry, meant to add....excellent description of how to squat Amy:big_smile:
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/12/04, 09:13 AM
Good advice Amy and Fly...Stick to it. I hate the smith machine overall. BUT the benefits of doing the squat there over not doing it are too great.....not all of us can do squats. Some have injuries and other limitations.....if you can progress to a BB great if not, just use what you can and do IT right is all.

--------------
Curl Jockeys, get outta the squat rack!

Warning:Deadlifting going on!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/04, 09:45 AM
Didn't say they didn't count. But if you want to talk knee problems and flexibility issues, individuals with these problems are better off avoiding the smith. There are many people I would recommend avoiding squats all together too. Again, it depends on the person, but I don't think it is a progression to the regular barbell back squat.

There are other ways to train your legs you know. Front squats, dumbbell squats, lunges, step ups, deadlifts, romanian deadlifts... I don't see why the big attraction to the back squat for people who apparently have so many problems doing them. I've heard reason after reason why some people can't reach parallel, but most of these people shouldn't be squatting.

Fly, your trainers were right about sticking your butt back. This is why most people don't go as deep as they are able too, because they are not sitting BACK as much as they are able to.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/12/04, 09:54 AM
The reason I found the smith useful as a progression was balance issue and the fact that I could get used to squatting with the bar with less wt. It meant I could focus more on posture and not worry as much about balance. I still think it is useful for that. I do agree though that you can get much better form using a BB or dbls, same as using freeweights vs machines, you have a much greater range of motion which allows your body to get into better form more naturally...at least that's what I find.
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2006/12/04, 04:55 PM
deadlifts are my friend.....deadlifts are my friend.. *cont. chant*
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/12/05, 12:42 PM
beauty of the squat....as long as your in the rack....if you get stuck....let the bars catch it....thats why they are there.

If I had a dime for everytime I bailed out of a squat....

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

People don't reach thier true potental, only those who seek it.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/12/05, 01:58 PM
NOW you are talking from a common sense standpoint. This is far from a one size fits all 'sport'.

I trained for my last 3 contests doing 0 squats. All leg presses.

I have made posts in the past about this, in many ways leg presses have a distinct advantage for some folks.

============
Quoting from wrestler125:

There are many people I would recommend avoiding squats all together too. Again, it depends on the person, but I don't think it is a progression to the regular barbell back squat.

There are other ways to train your legs you know. Front squats, dumbbell squats, lunges, step ups, deadlifts, romanian deadlifts... I don't see why the big attraction to the back squat for people who apparently have so many problems doing them. I've heard reason after reason why some people can't reach parallel, but most of these people shouldn't be squatting.

=============

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2006/12/05, 04:10 PM
i love leg presses too... :)
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/12/05, 04:12 PM
The main problem with leg presses is loading and unloading the plates!!! I have used them the last few leg workouts and I like them a nice different attack to the hams and quads

--------------
Curl Jockeys, get outta the squat rack!

Warning:Deadlifting going on!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/12/05, 05:01 PM
Do you use different feet sets, like shoulder wide or hip wide spacings?

I too love the presses but I feel I need to also work the balance and stabilizing parts too.

During leg days I always do barbell squats and a form of non-machined lunges and the rest of the stuff I change up every 4 to 6 weeks. The reason I stick with the squats and lunges is for a specific training goal for bowling, too keep a strong balance and stabilizers along with the core strength.

Do you think this is a good idea for my training goal or should I switch-up the squats and lunges too?

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

NOW you are talking from a common sense standpoint. This is far from a one size fits all 'sport'.

I trained for my last 3 contests doing 0 squats. All leg presses.

I have made posts in the past about this, in many ways leg presses have a distinct advantage for some folks.

=============
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/12/05, 06:04 PM
from a strength standpoint...leg presses aren't that great.

From asthetics....leg press does do alot.

So if strength is your goal...stick with free weight varaitions of squats, dls, lunges, etc.

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

People don't reach thier true potental, only those who seek it.
raiderfanusa
raiderfanusa
United States
2006/12/07, 03:45 PM
Great reading. Having only trained at home and only doing front squats and little of those, I was on a leg press machine where you press the sled up and away from you for the first time ever the a couple weeks ago. I started what I thought was light but made myself very sore in a strange place. on my left side between my side and spine at about the level of my lowest rib. I rested it for a couple weeks and was feeling pretty good so I tried it again. WoW! huge mistake. The next day it felt like I had a knife sticking in that same spot when I take a deep breath or move a certian way. Very Painful! I am guessing I tore something as it does not feel nerve related. I am resting and getting better but very curious what it may be. I have never had a problem with injuries.

--------------
Only two defending forces have ever offered to die for You. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. Both died for your Freedom!
doggiecool
doggiecool
United States
2006/12/14, 01:50 AM
There are a lot of people worried about squatting below parallel because of the pressure on their knees. I don't know about you all but when I squat for reps with a narrow stance I can't maintain balance and stay on my heels. I almost always end up falling forward to putting my weight on my toes. (Thus the knee injury.) The fix for this? Take a board and stick it under your heels. This will allow you to literally get your ass on the floor and still keep pressure on your heels with your knees behind your toes. :) Of course you will be using extremely light weight but if you can check your ego you should be alright.
resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 of 2 pages