Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Do most of you.....?

azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/08/22, 06:29 PM
Do most of you put on your 'face' (full make-up) and do your hair before working out? I don't. I wear a little mascara and my hair is only 'done' if I did it that morning. It is usually a windblown and sweaty mess. Not a pretty picture, which is why I think women who are serious about their workouts don't really want to be hit on.

--------------
~Victoria~
...There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.--Beverly Sills
kirby00
kirby00
United States
2003/08/22, 07:49 PM
My hair is up in a ponytail (taken down or lowered when I lay down to do bench, etc.), no make-up on - I always wash my face before I workout b/c I don't want to clog my pores with "dirty" sweat.

I usually wear a tank top (and sports bra) b/c I like to see my arm muscles when I lift. Loose-ish cotton shorts, maybe mid-thigh, a little shorter. Sometimes yoga pants (you know, the boot leg lycra/cotton pants).

Definitely *not* a beauty queen at the gym. I wonder how the girls do it when it looks like they're going fall out of their shirt! (course, with my little girls that's never a problem!)

Fun topic, Victoria.

Kirby
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/08/22, 11:05 PM
I wear my tux, hair up, and no tie!
Couldn't resist!

--------------
You can walk to anywhere you want, it only takes time.

Ivan Montreal Canada (aka SpongeBob Square Pants to some!)
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2003/08/23, 01:09 AM
I'm glad you took the first plunge, carivan. I've been resisting this thread since it started!

I was going to explain how I braid my all of my hair (which I have soooo much of) so that I'm able to lift properly. Then, I put on my lil baby doll, leg warmers, and my Olivia Newton John CD, and I'm to tone-land USA!!!!

Sarcasm aside - I wear lots of baggy clothes, i.e., sweat pants, t-shirt, and an unbuttoned flannel shirt, and a baseball hat. My friends say I'm nuts to wear all of this, especially in the desert summer, but the damn gym AC is so freakin' cold, and I'm not there to impress anyone else but me, which I believe was the original point of Victoria's post before I bastardized it. But, sometimes, after a real major intense tricep workout, I'll take my top shirt off and roll up the sleeves on the t-shirt just to get the mental pump of seeing my arms engorged with blood!

--------------
Michael

Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!
Chaos, Panic, Disorder.... Yes, my work here is done!
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/08/23, 03:43 AM
You guys are too funny. I wondered if I was the only one who dressed down for the gym. I wear my shorts and sport bra, but with a huge baggy t-shirt over them. As soon as I can get these triceps whipped into shape, I'll opt for a sleeveless one, so I too can admire my hard work. I can see it in my shoulders and biceps, but when I look under....yuk!

--------------
~Victoria~
Philia2
Philia2
France
2003/08/23, 04:17 AM
LOL that's a funny question!!
I honestly look terrible when I work out (which I do several times a day!!) My hair is always a mess and if I wear any make up then it's only a little mascara.
I wear old shorts and some kind of sports top. Don't care too much about the color or fashion.
The only thing I never wear is baggy clothes..... Can't breath or mooove good enough in those things! (o;

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/08/23, 12:02 PM
LOL at the guys...

I don't put makeup on anytime, can't imagine putting it on at the gym so it can roll down my face w/ the sweat - ew! I wear a tank top and shorts at the gym, actually I wear a tank top and shorts when I'm not at the gym, just change to cotton shorts when I work out.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/08/23, 02:11 PM
I always am at my wife, ready to go, I say to her, what are you doing? She is putting on her gym makeup! It's a standard joke now, when I go to the gym before her, everyone asks, wheres Sandy, putting on her gym makeup?LOL....She doesn't put on a full makeup, actually very little, but she says she always wants to look presentable. I don't know why she bothers, she is usually sweating so profusely and hair all over when she is done anyway!

She always is telling me I don't match! I might have grey shorts with a blue stripe around the bottom, and a green tank top! She says they don't match. Geez, I would never even notice. I don't care, I just want to be comfortable.

--------------
Great people never want it easier, they just want to be better!
Ron
richardjst
richardjst
United States
2003/08/24, 01:25 AM
I usually just wear my hear the way it is when i wake up...heck I don't even take a shower before i hit the gym, what's the point in five minutes id be sweating like no other.....and i train a 330 in the afternoon....just kidding....my hair is so short i dont have to comb, even when i want to....actually i dont take a shower before i lift because i wake up at 530 in the morning to get to the gym before school....but like rev8ball i could never workout without my Olivia Newton John CD lol

--------------
If hard work and persistence were the keys to success, most people would opt to pick the lock.~Dick
I_Am-aZon
I_Am-aZon
Canada
2003/08/25, 10:49 AM
I wear a little makeup to my workplace (fits into what I "think" is my "professional" look), so I usually have the remains of my daytime stuff on when I go to the gym,. I just don't have the time or motive to remove it beforehand. As far as gym clothing, I prefer tank top styles - I like to see my delts working when I do my lat raises.

But the hair thing is always a problem. If I wear it up in a ponytail or clip, it gets in the way of bench presses etc.
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/08/25, 11:11 AM
I also wear only eye makeup (I've got mascara that won't come off for anything). If I have to go straight from work, I may be wearing more than an ideal amount of makeup, but it's gone by the end of cardio anyway. However, I must admit that I'm a sports bra and spandex person. No short shorts, flat chest,--I don't look like a playboy bunny at the gym, but I grew up dancing, so spandex is only natural. Also, when your shorts aren't baggy, no one can see things they shouldn't see when you're stretching. When you look good, you feel good and you lift more! I once went on a date with a guy from my gym, when I met him at the restaurant he didn't recognise me. Luckily I clean up well.

--------------
Think you can or think you can't; either way you're right--Goethe
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/08/25, 04:22 PM
Oh no, I just got a visual of people bouncing around the gym neked.....yuk! Thanks RW!

--------------
~Victoria~
Deby
Deby
United States
2003/08/26, 10:24 AM
I never wear foundation (that goodness for good complexion genes) and only have the mascara left from what I put on in the morning. My hair is short, even shorter than in my picture, because I sweat profusely when I work out. By the end of cardio my hair is wet, so needless to say what it looks like after an hour lifting!!! I still wear a sports bra, tshirt and shorts to work out in, my arms are still 55 year old arms and, even though, I have getting definition, nobody likes to look at 55 year old arms!!!!

--------------
Gramma
I_Am-aZon
I_Am-aZon
Canada
2003/08/27, 10:32 AM
Don't worry azredhead - RW's birthday suit is a little pink frilly dress - LOL

azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/08/27, 02:27 PM
I'm sure you are very 'pretty in pink' RW....lol.

--------------
~Victoria~
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2003/08/27, 04:10 PM
then you shouldn't have said it! lol!! actually we both work out in our birthday suits seeing that our gym only has two memberships, ravenwolf and i's lol!!! jk

we usually do wear our slippers and some god awful old sweats and shirts or shorts, but they are oh so comfortable!! no makeup either, too much sweating going on!

--------------
Bettia.... The secret of getting ahead is getting started.

liesbeneath
liesbeneath
United States
2003/08/27, 05:34 PM
..coming from a makeup artist;
i don't get women that wear full makeup when they go to the gym. they're eye sores...really. maybe, it's living here in l.a. ...i don't know. light makeup is okay,if your hitting the gym after work. it's the cakie look that is dreadful.
when i go in the morning i don't wear any makeup and clothing wise...something similar to kirby...my hair is to short for a ponytail so i put it in 2 low pigtails...this works out better for me when i'm on the bench. if i go after work i may be seen with mascara and a hint of blush...nothing obvious...but, anything more than that and i'll wash my face before i hit the weights.
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/08/28, 01:52 AM
I hope my husband doesn't read that RB, he might get ideas. Although if you're in your b'day suits I don't see how you get your workouts done. Oh, I see, that's a different kinda workout altogether!!!!

--------------
~Victoria~
stanlee75
stanlee75
United States
2003/08/28, 07:35 AM
Geez I feel like a loner here, I've always been known as a pretty boy. And when I work out, I go into my own zone and really push my limits. However, my fiancee makes fun of me because, I usually wake up in the morning, take a shower, and then go to the gym, and then obviously take another shower. She always makes fun of me stating that I'm going to get sweaty anyways. My arguments is 1) The shower wakes me up in the morning 2) I've been in the gym before when the person next to you smells like they just out of the poop truck, and I refuse to be that person. I guess I even take this a little overboard since I even put on cologne before I go. And by no means am I going to the gym to meet the women. So I guess, I should be wearing that pink fluffy skirt and put on the make-up. After reading all these posts I've come to the conclusion I am an odd ball, hehe, well nothing I didn't already know, my fiancee always tells me I'm a nut.
fit4ever
fit4ever
United States
2003/09/04, 10:30 AM
I workout at 6am in the morning...I don't waste time with hair or make-up. I throw on shorts or pants and a tank top. Tie a bandana on my head and go. Why anyone would want to sweat with make-up on is beyond me. It not only feels gross..its bad for the skin.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2003/09/09, 02:26 PM
I'm with most of the women - why bother to put on make up (unless it is on from work) when you are goping to get all sweaty anyways. Mascara in your eye mixed with sweat sucks big time!
I ended up getting my haircut very short because of my liefstyle/job I may end up changing and showering two or three times a day. I get up and do cardio, sweaty hog! Shower, I work for a while, If it is a lifting day, again swety hog! Shower. I train in the evening, sometimes sweaty again, shower... you can see where this is going. I have stream lined my hair to one product and my face to tinted moisturizer, eyebrightening shadow, liner, mascara and tinted chapstick. 5 minutes and i am outta the locker room(after showering, of course).
All that sweating and washing is hard enough on your skin, why add to that by doing full make-up before you go to the gym?
What I think is worse than make up or natural body odor at the gym (after all, we are there to sweat, not to appeal to others sense of smell, within reason, that is. When I dieted for my competiton I reeked and nothing helped) is heavy perfume. Whats up with that? Are they trying to combat everyone elses BO? Or hide their own? It triggers my asthma, and that sucks....
I_Am-aZon
I_Am-aZon
Canada
2003/09/09, 02:54 PM
I agree asimmer - heavy perfume is absolutely awful. What's with people marinating in perfume making themselves reek so strongly one wonders what they are covering up? It's hard enough in the gym, but when people wear it on an airplane or at a theatre, that really chokes me up. Instant headache. I wish someone would think up a perfume neutralizing spray...