Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Pull Ups/Push Ups Everyday?

dart368
dart368
United States
2007/10/27, 03:23 AM
Some fitness guru's say "YES"!!!

I have read several articles in which they subscribe and guarantee results by doing pull ups and/or push ups everyday with excellent results. They have stated that in military boot camps, they are done almost everyday and recruits seem to get better at doing them in the end. Granted, I have read that you should take the 6th or 7th day off but other than that, you should be doing them 5-6 days a week straight.

I have also read that you shouldn't go to your max rep and that doing multiple low count reps will result in your muscles actually developing as well as your mind developing muscle memory. This results in your body being able to perform better in body weight exercises.

I really need to improve my pull ups and push ups. What methods have worked for you and have you heard of the exercise philosophies that I stated above? Thanks.
2007/10/27, 09:28 AM
In college I decided to do push-up's every day. I did one set first thing in the morning (very nearly to muscle failure on the last one). In two months of just one set a day, I went from being able to do 15 push-up's to being able to do 40 push-up's. There may be better and faster ways to get results, but I'm sharing this b/c I was doing them 7 days a week and you were wondering about frequency.

--------------
\"We must be the change we wish to see in the world\" - Ghandi
2007/10/27, 09:28 AM
In college I decided to do push-up's every day. I did one set first thing in the morning (very nearly to muscle failure on the last one). In two months of just one set a day, I went from being able to do 15 push-up's to being able to do 40 push-up's. There may be better and faster ways to get results, but I'm sharing this b/c I was doing them 7 days a week and you were wondering about frequency.

--------------
\"We must be the change we wish to see in the world\" - Ghandi
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/10/27, 11:48 AM
God I hate the word "fitness guru". It almost always means someone that is full o...

Even in the army they take scheduled days off from PT, and the PT that they do serves more for mental toughness than actual conditioning. Most people I know in the armed forces also work out with weights. Besides that, you are not in the military. You are not paid to eat sleep and train. You have other stresses in your life that can contribute to overtraining. And like wasakat said, there will be more effective ways.

If you avoid failure and aren't doing heavy weight then you can naturally increase the frequency with which you workout. An example of this would be doing a couple sets of push ups almost every day. However, the pull ups will be much more taxing on your body, and would require more time off. This is simply because the load is much greater.

That said, if you are just starting to do push ups, you could probably do them 6 days a week and be fine for a while. However, as you become better at them and the volume becomes greater (ie you are doing more repetitions) you will find you need to take more time off.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
dart368
dart368
United States
2007/10/29, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the info.
traderhines
traderhines
United States
2007/11/27, 01:38 PM
That "fitness guru" is correct. I do calesthenics 4-5 times a week and my body looks and feels awesome. You combine that with cardio/good diet and you would not believe the results you will get. Here is my sample routine. This is one set. I do this 8-12 times. I also change up the pull-ups.(wide grip, close grip, v-handle assisted, forearm)
18 Pullups
18 dips forward
18 dips behind the back
35 push-ups
30 sit-ups
18 leg raises
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/11/27, 07:37 PM
The 'guru' is correct in one way. That is yes, you will advance, simple logic tells you that. What you may have missed or overlooked, much as wasakat tells you, is that you will indeed be doing more. This comes from building muscle endurance, along with a 'little' muscle strength. So, depending on your goals, if muscular endurance is your goal, then go for it. However, if muscular size is your goal, then adequate overload and proper rest is your key.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/11/28, 05:10 PM
=============
Quoting from traderhines:

That "fitness guru" is correct. I do calesthenics 4-5 times a week and my body looks and feels awesome.
==============

4-5 times a week and every day are very different. It is this difference that we were discussing, the difference between taking days off and not taking days off.

=============
Quoting from bb1fit:

However, if muscular size is your goal, then adequate overload and proper rest is your key.
==============

Exactly. If you want to get better at doing push ups, then do push ups. However, depending on your goals, there may be more effective ways to accomplish them.

--------------

Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
traderhines
traderhines
United States
2007/11/28, 10:55 PM

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

"What you may have missed or overlooked, much as wasakat tells you, is that you will indeed be doing more. "This comes from building muscle endurance, along with a 'little' muscle strength. So, depending on your goals, if muscular endurance is your goal, then go for it. However, if muscular size is your goal, then adequate overload and proper rest is your key."

Actually, you can build strength by doing calesthenics. Yes, it does not put on size, but you can build tremendous strength as I can attest to it. Also,I don't believe this article was designed to give people advice as to how to build size as opposed to sculp your physique with what you have.

=============
traderhines
traderhines
United States
2007/11/28, 11:01 PM

============
Quoting from wrestler125:

"4-5 times a week and every day are very different. It is this difference that we were discussing, the difference between taking days off and not taking days off."

=============
My schedule today is 4-5 times a week because I add cardio and weight training(chest,legs) but when I first started, it was calesthenics everyday for 2 years straight. Never had a problem and a recieved an excellent physique.
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2007/11/29, 12:25 AM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2007/11/29, 12:26 AM
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2007/11/29, 12:29 AM
Oh to add to that about sculpting the body, good luck twiggy with that by not adding resistant training to aid them goals!

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
traderhines
traderhines
United States
2007/11/29, 04:13 AM
traderhines
traderhines
United States
2007/11/29, 04:14 AM

============
Quoting from SFGiantsMVP:

Oh to add to that about sculpting the body, good luck twiggy with that by not adding resistant training to aid them goals!

=============

And to add to this comment, I am 6'0 220 and sculpted. No pissing contest here dude. You need to try and relax.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/11/29, 11:44 AM
None of this changes the fact that you still need to REST in order to grow.

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/11/29, 11:48 AM
Lets take a deep breath everyone and relax!

--------------
As a quarter squatter was dominating the rack, I heard a conversation between an old powerlifter (easily in his 60\\'s) and what I would guess was his grandson (15-yrs old):

Kid: \\"So, why does he stop so short on his squats? That looks weird to me.\\"

Old PL\\'er: \\"He\\'s afraid if he squats deep, his vagina might touch the ground.\\"

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
traderhines
traderhines
United States
2007/11/29, 12:04 PM

============
Quoting from wrestler125:

None of this changes the fact that you still need to REST in order to grow.

=============
Wrestler, without a doubt, rest is essential in order for muscle growth but that is not the topic of discussion. Sculpting and muscle growth equals two different things as we all know.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/11/29, 02:32 PM
Sculpting and muscle growth are the same thing, unless by scultping you mean fat loss. You can't "sculpt" a muscle to look the way you want it.

And the topic is, push ups/pull ups EVERY day. Read the original post.

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
traderhines
traderhines
United States
2007/11/29, 02:56 PM
How do you put sculpting and muscle growth together? When you are building muscle, you have a calorie surplus diet. When you are sculpting(or for those who are technical)leaning out, you have a calorie deficient diet. In simple terms, you put on weight when you are building muscle and lose weight when you sculpting. Atleast in all my years of training, that is how it works. In addition, the oringinal post stated nothing about muscle growth or for that matter, leaning out but we all should know that you lean out when you do those particular excersises. Maybe we both should reread the original post.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/11/30, 10:54 AM
Strength in this case needs to be taken in context. Yes, if you have little or no strength prior to lots of calesthenics. In relative terms, then yes you will be 'strong'. But go up against someone who has been doing heavy weights with proper rest in strength match, and you will see just how 'strong' you really are. ============
Quoting from traderhines:

=============

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

traderhines
traderhines
United States
2007/11/30, 11:30 AM

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

Strength in this case needs to be taken in context. Yes, if you have little or no strength prior to lots of calesthenics. In relative terms, then yes you will be 'strong'. But go up against someone who has been doing heavy weights with proper rest in strength match, and you will see just how 'strong' you really are.
=============
Maybe in my case it just works for me but I doubt it. I been to gyms with plenty of big guys(weights all of their lives) and I was the only one who could and would use the 160 pound dumbells for chest or the 180 pound dumbells for shrugs (no way to prove it so I hope you take my word for it). With the combination of raw strength from all the calesthenics and sheer mental toughness, a guy who lift strictly wieghts with "proper rest" will have a problem with me. All in all. I believe this is a matter of opinion. NO ONE has the science down pact of fitness and so many factors come into play NO ONE is completely right. I guess to each it's own.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/11/30, 11:38 AM
Fine. :)

--------------

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/11/30, 12:56 PM
Point is who cares....I have been in a lot of gyms in 14 years. Those that lifted big weights were the strongest. No offense but at some point doing just BW exercises will level out. To get stronger you need to constantly challenge the muscles with higher weights....that is a scientific fact that HAS been proven. Could you be a "freak of Nature" could be, I doubt it tho....could be those so called "big guys" in your gym just were not stronger than you is all. But I bet I can find some one in my Ymca that could out lift you in weights and take you on in calesthenics as well.....just my opinion.

--------------
As a quarter squatter was dominating the rack, I heard a conversation between an old powerlifter (easily in his 60\\'s) and what I would guess was his grandson (15-yrs old):

Old PL\\'er: \\"He\\'s afraid if he squats deep, his vagina might touch the ground.\\"

ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/11/30, 12:45 PM
I call BS. You can do 160lb. dumbbell press from only doing pushups and jumping around? Not contributing much useful thought here, but that sounds far fetched.
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2007/11/30, 02:19 PM
Anyone like this guy that claims he can out lift anyone is full of crap.

Deleted by mod but he had stated he can out lift anyone in his gym and in my gym!

Funny thing is I workout in a huge gym, we have 2 cages 3 safety racks and more sleds and leg presses then Santa!

We have 4 sections 2 of them are for weights, our free weight section is as big as most gyms total floor space!

We have Professional Athelets workout here and not only do Pro Football players train here so do their Cheerleaders as a matter of fact the Saber Cats and 49er's Cheerleaders train in the Areobics room for their routines!

So to make claims like he does and then say I have no proof just take my word on it smells like BS.

Oh yeah and Jesus worksout at my gym to, I have no proof but you'll just have to take my word on it!

--------------
ReptilianFeline
ReptilianFeline
Sweden
2007/11/30, 02:49 PM
You need to rest. You need rest, no matter what you do. If you don't need rest, you're not doing enough when you're doing it. Just my noob 2 cents.

--------------
-----------------------------------
Getting there... one kg at a time...
-----------------------------------
traderhines
traderhines
United States
2007/11/30, 03:49 PM

============
Quoting from ecle5c:

I call BS. You can do 160lb. dumbbell press from only doing pushups and jumping around? Not contributing much useful thought here, but that sounds far fetched
=============

Like I stated earlier, it is no way I can prove to you because we are on the internet. If any you guys were in NY and I would more than happy to meet you in ANY gym and train with you. Why is it B.S? because you don't believe in it? Some you are so closed minded you can't even see past your views. I am not saying my method is the uptmost official method of training, but I know what works for me. Like I stated earlier, if ANY of you are in the tri-state area, let me know and I will be more than happy to train with you.
traderhines
traderhines
United States
2007/11/30, 03:57 PM

============

Anyone like this guy that claims he can out lift anyone is full of crap.

Deleted by mod but he had stated he can out lift anyone in his gym and in my gym!

Funny thing is I workout in a huge gym, we have 2 cages 3 safety racks and more sleds and leg presses then Santa!

We have 4 sections 2 of them are for weights, our free weight section is as big as most gyms total floor space!

We have Professional Athelets workout here and not only do Pro Football players train here so do their Cheerleaders as a matter of fact the Saber Cats and 49er's Cheerleaders train in the Areobics room for their routines!

So to make claims like he does and then say I have no proof just take my word on it smells like BS.

Oh yeah and Jesus worksout at my gym to, I have no proof but you'll just have to take my word on it!

=============

Dude, no need to lie here. Like I stated in the above post, I am in the tri-state area. If ANY of you are in this area, call me out on the B.S. I don't care if it is you or any of the other members. In NY, we have the NYSC, BALLY'S, GOLDS GYM, DOLPHIN'S GYM, ETC. I am sure SOMEBODY has to be from this area. I don't B.S people in real life and no need to B.S people who I don't know on the internet. Never been me my friend.
traderhines
traderhines
United States
2007/11/30, 04:02 PM

============
Quoting from 7707mutt:

Point is who cares....I have been in a lot of gyms in 14 years. Those that lifted big weights were the strongest. No offense but at some point doing just BW exercises will level out. To get stronger you need to constantly challenge the muscles with higher weights....that is a scientific fact that HAS been proven. Could you be a "freak of Nature" could be, I doubt it tho....could be those so called "big guys" in your gym just were not stronger than you is all. But I bet I can find some one in my Ymca that could out lift you in weights and take you on in calesthenics as well.....just my opinion.

=============

I'm pretty sure you can but my point is everyone is so quick to dismiss what I said like THEY are the foremost authority on fitness. There is definatley more than one way to skin a cat. No doubt I am not the strongest to ever touch a pullup bar or weight but I surely can hold my own.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/11/30, 04:04 PM
My point is that this is a USELESS ARGURMENT and is to stop now or I will delete any such posts from here on. Thanks for playing come again!

--------------

traderhines
traderhines
United States
2007/11/30, 04:17 PM
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/11/30, 04:24 PM
As I said this is now a ClOSED POST. ANY POSTS WILL BE DELETED

--------------

traderhines
traderhines
United States
2007/11/30, 04:25 PM
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2007/11/30, 04:47 PM

============

===========
Sorry SF, you have the wrong guy because he is up here in my gym.

This whole thread is interesting how it goes off topic.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
INTRUDER
INTRUDER
United States
2007/12/01, 10:14 PM
Im pretty sure its not Jesus.

--------------
"Get everthing you want--just make a little change now"
"The thing you have to realize is that you have to work for it,"
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2007/12/01, 11:53 PM
Oh Jesus workouts out here for damn sure so does Jose, Jorge, Juan and etc!

--------------
chasem
chasem
United States
2011/03/29, 09:09 PM
It never crossed my mind that push ups are ok to do every day, maybe excluding one rest day a week or so. It makes sense, because I just started doing puch ups and sit ups every day for the past few weeks and I have already jumped from being able to do around 90 push ups to about 110 now. I'm still working on sit ups - I'm not improving as fast in them as I am with push ups.
On a side note - I wrote an article about working out with no weights and was wondering if anyone would be willing enough to check it out and, if they like it, rate it up and share it with their friends. Thank you for any help! And I hope it can help anybody looking for a free workout out there.

--------------
A 10 minute workout without weights - http://hubpages.com/hub/Home-workout-routine-10-minutes
A 30 minute workout without weights -
http://hubpages.com/hub/Working-out-with-no-weights