Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

No pain - no gain???

ReptilianFeline
ReptilianFeline
Sweden
2007/09/26, 04:02 AM
I see a lot of people here and elsewhere talk about being so sore after a workout. I feel the pain in my muscles as I work out, but I usually don't feel sore after I've stretched afterwards. I used to get pain everywhere, but now, hardly anything. I think I stretched a bit too much two days ago after my leg exercises, because I feel a bit of pain in my inner left thigh, but appart from that, no soreness what so ever. Is this OK? I work out 5 days a week, so I don't have that much to do each time I work out, but even last Saturday when I did both Friday and Saturday routines, I wasn't sore. Why? Do I need to do more, or is this just right?

--------------
-----------------------------------
Getting there...
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/09/26, 08:18 AM
After time, you may never feel the soreness that sometimes follows. Some people never get any.

t
immovablestone
immovablestone
United States
2007/09/26, 10:53 AM
Your body will get used to the movements, thats natural and fine, but it can be a double edged sword. You'll need to do more in order to shock/stimulate to the point of soreness and fatigue if that's what you're looking for ;)

--------------
This is SPARTA!!!
drieman
drieman
United States
2007/09/26, 11:38 AM
immovable,
Is that what we are looking for? When we are sore is that the only time we are building muscle?

Debbie

--------------
Success is not for the chosen few but rather for the few who choose it.
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/09/26, 12:37 PM
Soreness is not a good indication of how good of a workout you had or how much you utilized your muscles. And to that point I don't think fatigue is a good indication either.

Your body builds muscle when you rest and eat, not when you're in the gym, and when you're sore. Just because you're not sore doesn't mean you're not building muscle and achieving your goals. Don't confuse soreness with how effective your workout is. Sure you'll get sore, but it is worse and better for different people.
drieman
drieman
United States
2007/09/26, 12:51 PM
I was hoping that the soreness was not an indication that I was gaining muscle. I do not like to hurt! hehehe
I do not have a problem pushing myself in my workouts but I do what to be able to function the next day.

--------------
Success is not for the chosen few but rather for the few who choose it.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/09/26, 12:57 PM
No pain = no gain is generally a falacy. Some days I get serious DOMS, other days, nothin'.

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

\"He may be gone, but Sanjaya proved that it doesn\'t matter how talented you are - if you believe in yourself, you can annoy literally millions of people.\" Jimmy Kimmel
immovablestone
immovablestone
United States
2007/09/26, 01:29 PM
Yeah the biggest point is that its different for different people, and you know you're making progress if you do more than you did last time.

I personally always found that after a year or two into it in order to really feel the muscle shock I had to push rather hard during my lifting. Nowadays I look more for the overall fatigue/soreness after doing circuits and crossfit type work, I sort of use it as a benchmark, lol, whether thats right or wrong. The more I feel like I've just been run over by a truck, the more I know I did.

--------------
This is SPARTA!!!
ReptilianFeline
ReptilianFeline
Sweden
2007/09/26, 02:58 PM
For some reason I feel that I've used my muscles about 18 hours after a workout. Then I feel a bit of tenderness when I move, but it isn't even close to pain. I'm just so surpriced that this isn't painful, since most times before it has always been painful afterwards. I'm glad it's OK not to be sore, I don't like hobbling along at work. Looks kind of silly, you know.:big_smile:

--------------
Getting there...
ReptilianFeline
ReptilianFeline
Sweden
2007/10/04, 04:54 AM
Update!
More weights = soreness. Not much, but I do feel it more now.

--------------
Getting there... one kg at a time...
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/10/05, 08:22 AM
After you pass newbie stage, pain is pretty much a 'relative' statement. What is implied here is push yourself in the gym, in other words intensity. If you trained and trained with maximum intensity, you have done all that you can do.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

ReptilianFeline
ReptilianFeline
Sweden
2007/10/08, 08:46 AM
I'm a woman - pain is always 'relative' ;)
I always push myself. There is no other way in the gym. Sometimes I wish I was alone so I could really get a good circuit training going.
I have a problem though... the dumbells come in increments of 1 kilogram, but most mashines have 2.5 kg in steps, and some have 10 kg. It's pretty hard to add more weight when you can barely finish a set with the weight you have on. I tried on some mashines, and the difference was too great, and I couldn't move it more than once or twice. This week I'll keep most of the weight so I can build some extra strenght before moving up. My body seems to need it

--------------
Getting there... one kg at a time...
georgiehopper
georgiehopper
United States
2007/11/07, 05:31 PM
I'm new, and I've been wondering about this too.. have been working out for awhile though. I hardly get sore too and I thought perhaps I'm doing something wrong. I have been consistently doing crunches for over 20 years and I no longer ever get sore. I used an ab-machine at the gym recently... put more and more weight on it... but no soreness, nothing...

I walk out of the gym weak and sore but by the time I get home, I'm fine... I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong.
I thought that you have to basically tear your muscles in order for them to repair and rebuild...is that correct?

BILL06
BILL06
United States
2007/11/07, 06:23 PM
When is that newbie stage passed, i worked my legs saturday and then did the elipitical machine for awhile, dood im walking like frankenstein with a boot up his arse, pains gone pretty much away now, and legs feel great now, but for 3 days i was hurting, i even went to the gym to try and work em out, youch....:cool:

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

After you pass newbie stage, pain is pretty much a 'relative' statement.

=============

--------------
I was bruised and battered and I couldnt tell
what I felt
I was unrecognizable to myself
Saw my reflection in a window I didnt know
my own face ...

Get busy living or get busy dying.

texan_sunrise
texan_sunrise
United States
2007/11/07, 10:14 PM
I don't really havea ny pain as long as I cool down, and I've pushed myself to almost puking before. As long as I give it a little bit of a stretch afterwards, nothing seems to hurt. I'm fatigued, but nothing really hurts, no matter how much it hurts during the workout.
jessegaw
jessegaw
Canada
2007/11/08, 01:35 AM
That was my weekend too! Calf exercises on friday, felt fine and then spent the next three days walking on my tiptoes. My roomates made so much fun of me :)

============
Quoting from bill06:
im walking like frankenstein with a boot up his arse

=============
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/11/09, 10:11 AM
I have trained so0me people who never get sore, no matter how hard I push them. My theory is that it has something to with with how alkaline or acidic your system is. I could be totally wrong, but it may just be that some people either don't produce as much lactic acid, are more efficient at removing wastes from their muscles, or simply have a lot less pain receptors...like I said, theories only. As long as you have done the best you can and you are seeing results, don't worry about not being sore.

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle