Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Just a Suggestion....Oldies Challenge..

1 2 of 2 pages resultset_next resultset_last
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/11/25, 06:02 PM
Also to add to Ivan's post is that we can't all do the same training either.

I have actually gained enough knowledge of myself and have been able to tweak routines to work for me and my goals and I can't stir off of that and I know allot of folks can't do what I do then on the other hand for the more advanced lifter my routine my not be enough for them.

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/11/24, 10:55 AM
I had thought of something this weekend...just a suggestion, but it can possibly get things back in swinging motion here.

How about a Challenge for all of the Oldie Members?

One that all of us can participate and compete in?

Anyone up for it?

We could have like 2 different classes in the challenge since others goals differentiate.

--------------
Bettia

Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It is all about timing.
-Stacey Chapman
216chinook
216chinook
Canada
2008/11/24, 01:51 PM
Great idea RB, I'm in.

Iain

--------------
The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking.

Albert Einstein (1879–1955)

Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/11/24, 01:57 PM
I thought it might peak some's interest. Let's see if anyone else jumps on board...

--------------
Bettia

Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It is all about timing.
-Stacey Chapman
revoman
revoman
Canada
2008/11/24, 08:07 PM
I'm not much of an oldie but i could be interested.:)
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2008/11/24, 10:17 PM
What are you thinking of?
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/11/24, 10:33 PM
Not really sure yet on all the specifics, but a well rounded challenge involving around building more lean mass and BF Reduction....

Any suggestions?

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
docksideguy05
docksideguy05
United States
2008/11/24, 10:45 PM
I'm not really an oldie, but i'm in too.
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/11/24, 10:56 PM
I would love it if Amy joined in, ofcourse she wouldn't have to do all the work, I could track a lot of it as well so the load wouldn't be so heavy on her.

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
docksideguy05
docksideguy05
United States
2008/11/24, 11:00 PM
What kind of rules would there be? I can do my own normal routine right? I'm working on an experiment with static contraction training right now, so wouldn't wanna give that up.
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/11/24, 11:01 PM
Then depending on when your routine ends and this one starts, you might want to sit it out. The whole idea of the challenge is for everyone to do the same training, the same diet, etc. etc..

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
docksideguy05
docksideguy05
United States
2008/11/24, 11:04 PM
Bah well then i'm out, I've got about 9 weeks to go.
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/11/24, 11:06 PM
I guess it depends exactly what you are doing and if it can be implemented into the work out program for the challenge....

Anyone want to throw out some different kind of programs, diets, etc?

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/11/25, 05:49 PM
A diet that works for one may not work for the other, so how could we all be on the same diet? Just asking?:big_smile:

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/11/26, 12:01 AM
Okay, so that is why I was asking for suggestions, since you two seem to know it all, why don't you come up with something? I was just throwing something out there.....

Most challenges are kind of the same format, which is why in my initial suggestion, we do three levels or types......

C'mon, you gave me the can'ts now give me some cans.

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/11/26, 12:18 AM

============
Quoting from ravenbeauty:

Okay, so that is why I was asking for suggestions, since you two seem to know it all, why don't you come up with something? I was just throwing something out there.....

Most challenges are kind of the same format, which is why in my initial suggestion, we do three levels or types......

C'mon, you gave me the can'ts now give me some cans.

=============

That right girl your a Mexican not a Mexican't so lets keep it simple.

Goals for weight loss a person sets a goal and the one closest to hit theirs get a hug from you.

Goal for strength gain a person sets a goal and the one closest to hit theirs get a hug from you.

Goal for the endurance person sets a goal and the one closest to hit theirs get a hug from you.

Goal for size gain sets a goal and the one closest to hit theirs get a hug from you.

Me I get a hug and a kiss because I'm me :big_smile:

--------------
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/11/26, 01:11 AM
I don't know if my boyfriend will like that though.....lol..:love::love:

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/11/26, 01:29 AM
That does sound good though, that way everyone can keep to their own individual goals.....

I will have to monitor everyone's stats and all of that, plus I think it would be a good idea for everyone to keep a log on here so we can track what everyone did for their results.

It helps others.... sound good?

Ivan, does this meet your approval??? Huh Spongebob?

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/11/26, 01:37 AM

============

That does sound good though, that way everyone can keep to their own individual goals.....

I will have to monitor everyone's stats and all of that, plus I think it would be a good idea for everyone to keep a log on here so we can track what everyone did for their results.

It helps others.... sound good?

Ivan, does this meet your approval??? Huh Spongebob?

=============
Sounds great but now I have to shame myself with a log, crap!

--------------
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/11/26, 10:22 AM
Yes, that is the price you pay for trying to be a wiseguy and give my hugs away...lol

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2008/11/26, 11:18 AM
HEY if anyone gets her hugs it IS ME!!!!!!

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
Her little ring was a little thing
but it was all that i could afford
now shes mine all mine
till the day i die
and i never wanted nothing more

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
docksideguy05
docksideguy05
United States
2008/11/26, 02:54 PM
I want hugs... =/
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/11/26, 08:33 PM
I get the hugs from her anyway with out meeting the goals!:big_smile:

Spongeboob thinks there should be 2 groups for you to monitor. One group for fat loss and the other for muscle gain. But I am not volunteering. What do you think Sleeping Beauty?

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/11/26, 08:51 PM

============
Quoting from carivan:

I get the hugs from her anyway with out meeting the goals!:big_smile:

Spongeboob thinks there should be 2 groups for you to monitor. One group for fat loss and the other for muscle gain. But I am not volunteering. What do you think Sleeping Beauty?

=============
3 Groups as strength gains and muscle are 2 different goals!

--------------
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/11/26, 10:29 PM
Right, three groups.

--------------

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/11/27, 02:20 AM
Okay so we will have 3 groups for those competing to choose.

Weight Loss
Strength Gain
Lean Mass

Who is all in? I will work out the details of what needs to be reported to me and how often so I can monitor. How long should this go for? I am opting for a 3 month Challenge, that should give us time to see some results and still not drag it on... What do you think?

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/11/27, 02:34 AM
3 months sounds great I'm in for strength gains!

I will make a log and what I will target as my goals will be the Squat, Deadlift and Bench but I won't give number I want to hit until we start.

--------------
chefwcty
chefwcty
United States
2008/11/27, 09:03 PM
whats up. I think its a great ideal, so count me in:cool:
chefwcty
chefwcty
United States
2008/11/27, 09:05 PM
I live to lift, and I lift to live :dumbbell:
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/11/28, 09:46 AM
Have fun, rb :) but until I get a better internet connection I will let you deal with the stats :P

Good luck to all!

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/11/29, 01:02 PM
Okay so far we have 6 possibly 7 competitors...anyone else going to jump on board. I want to get this thing going within at least the next week or so...

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
DcMoody23
DcMoody23
United States
2008/11/29, 02:19 PM
I'n no oldie but I'd absolutely be in for the lean mass program dependent upon what the requirements and so forth are. I think it's an excellent idea, perfect for motovational purposes. I kinda want to see a 12-16 week get ripped program (or even an abs challenge) where everyone can go about it however they want and the best looking &/or most improved body wins. I mean, the system into place as of now is somewhat loopholed, but will easily be resolved once a formal order of operations is put into place.
Great idea though raven :big_smile:
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/12/02, 11:20 AM
Okay so did this fall off of the face of the earth? Should we wait until after the holidays to start this? Like the second Monday of January? That will give me time to look up some stuff for the other challenge areas.

We also need to decide whether we want to do an "Our Own Thing" Challenge in regards to use our own individual fitness program and nutrition plan or go with something set in the different challenge areas. The areas are listed below and we need to have at least 2 people per area in order for it to work. Let me know.....

Challenge #1 - Weight Loss
Challenge #2 - Strength Gain
Challenge #3 - Lean Mass

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/12/02, 11:23 AM
Oh and since this has transformed from an Oldies Challenge into multiple categories I deem this "The AAFC Challenge" All Around Fitness Challenge.

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
ATIGER
ATIGER
United States
2008/12/02, 02:40 PM
Give me the weight loss division.
I agree that we start it after the holidays
I am for everyone using their own method (diet, program) and we can see which method gets best results
dan_into
dan_into
United States
2008/12/02, 04:02 PM
I'm up for this. But I'm for sure no "oldie"
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/12/02, 05:32 PM
What categorie would you like to compete in?

atiger - if we do our own individual work outs and dieting, I am going to ask that everyone keep a log (daily or weekly whatever is most convenient) so we can see what type of training and dieting is being done. I believe it will be useful for others to see as well.

So we will start this Monday, January 5th, it will go for 12 (weeks, 3 months) ending day and final workout will be Monday, March 30th. We will have bi-weekly stats sent into me and only myself and you will know actual starting weight, size etc. The only thing that will be displayed is your gains, losses, etc in inches and lbs etc.

As far as strength gains, go, I am not exactly sure how to track this so I will need help from someone in incorporating that into my stats.

This should be a good challenge, especially since there are multiple categories. Here is who we have so far:

216chinook
Revoman
SFGiantsMVP
Dan_into
Atiger
docksideguy
TimDay (?)
Carivan (?)

I am going to track my dieting and everything bu because I am keeping stats I am taking myself out of the challenge. I will also keep a log anyways for others to see.

And whoever wins in each category WILL RECEIVE A HUG FROM ME, if they ever make it to Las Vegas! Otherwise it will be a virtual one. :)

Let's get some more competitors! YAY!

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
dan_into
dan_into
United States
2008/12/02, 05:36 PM
I will do the lean muscle mass challenge

--------------
-always wanting more often gets in the way of living for anything at all-
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/12/02, 05:39 PM
Is there going to be a six pak category? If so I'm in and it will be Heinekin!:big_smile:

--------------

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/12/02, 06:58 PM
Ivan, I think you wandered out of the pro forum bar and got lost....:big_smile:

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/12/02, 07:00 PM

============

What categorie would you like to compete in?

atiger - if we do our own individual work outs and dieting, I am going to ask that everyone keep a log (daily or weekly whatever is most convenient) so we can see what type of training and dieting is being done. I believe it will be useful for others to see as well.

So we will start this Monday, January 5th, it will go for 12 (weeks, 3 months) ending day and final workout will be Monday, March 30th. We will have bi-weekly stats sent into me and only myself and you will know actual starting weight, size etc. The only thing that will be displayed is your gains, losses, etc in inches and lbs etc.

As far as strength gains, go, I am not exactly sure how to track this so I will need help from someone in incorporating that into my stats.

This should be a good challenge, especially since there are multiple categories. Here is who we have so far:

216chinook
Revoman
SFGiantsMVP
Dan_into
Atiger
docksideguy
TimDay (?)
Carivan (?)

I am going to track my dieting and everything bu because I am keeping stats I am taking myself out of the challenge. I will also keep a log anyways for others to see.

And whoever wins in each category WILL RECEIVE A HUG FROM ME, if they ever make it to Las Vegas! Otherwise it will be a virtual one. :)

Let's get some more competitors! YAY!

=============
Strength gains is a easy one to track.

If a person can deadlift 350x1 and want to make it 400x1 as a goal they have the 3 months to do so.

I would only and seriously only count these lifts for strength gains:

Squat (Free weight Only)
Deadlift (Free weight Only)
Bench (Barbell Flat)
Overhead Press (Barbell Military and Push Press)
Back Rows (Barbell Bent-Over,T-Bar and V-Bar)
Dip
Chinups
Pullups

Now a person can choose what they want as in all or just 1.

I will enter Squat, Deadlift, Bench, Overhead Press and possible Bent-Over Rows.

I already started a log in the Powerlifting/Strength forum.

--------------
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/12/03, 01:51 AM
Okay I thought it was that, but couldn't believe it was that simple...LOL.

Also if someone wants to compete in more than 1 category they can do so as well, ie Strength, Lean Mass or Weight Loss

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/12/03, 01:55 AM
I think he did too! He had one too many Heinies...take it back to Pro Sweetie.

============
Quoting from asimmer:

Ivan, I think you wandered out of the pro forum bar and got lost....:big_smile:

=============

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
ATIGER
ATIGER
United States
2008/12/03, 12:23 PM
Raven,
Stay in the challenge. Just because you keep the stats should not matter. We trust that you will be honest and report everything as is. Or is this your way of not getting your tail kicked? Worried about how to hug yourself if you win? Rev can come by and hug ya
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/12/03, 01:01 PM
Well...ya know.....lol.:big_smile::big_smile:

I will think on competing myself..we will see.

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/12/08, 02:49 AM
bump a dump a lump dee do.. :big_smile:

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/12/09, 03:32 AM
Lets keep this alive!

--------------

My Log http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/Message.jsp?f_ix=15&t_ix=1609
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/12/09, 05:54 PM
It is and if there are any others who want to join in, let me know.. towards the last week of December, I am going to have a one last call for all those participating so I can get it down on the spreadsheet.

:big_smile:

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/12/10, 03:12 PM
Sounds interesting guys...will provide some motivational aspects for those involved and those following along as well.

What is the prize for each category?

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/12/10, 06:53 PM

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

Sounds interesting guys...will provide some motivational aspects for those involved and those following along as well.

What is the prize for each category?

=============
A hug from ravenbeauty, actually the only prize should be the accomplishment of completion of one's set goal.

--------------

My Log http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/Message.jsp?f_ix=15&t_ix=1609
1 2 of 2 pages resultset_next resultset_last