Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 377, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Sticky Cardio questions?

resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 3 4 of 4 pages resultset_next resultset_last
moune
moune
Mauritius
2005/01/18, 11:03 PM
what do you do if you your have a client that cant come regularly
dny7476
dny7476
United States
2005/01/29, 07:17 PM
Two questions:
a) Is there really anyway to lower your bodyfat without losing any muscle? For me anyway, I would like to lose to 3-5% bodyfat and currently I'm at 202lbs at around 14% bf (1 yr ago I was 12%). So I'd essentially want to remain the same weight but with slightly less bodyfat.

b) Even when I was done to 12% bf (done by a personal trainer with calipers), I never did have the lower abs "cut up" although I did and still do have a slight "4-pack". It always feels soft in my lower ab region. What bodyfat region do you have to get to in order for one to see their lower abs, or do I have to really start concentrating on including a multitude of ab workouts.
Thanks.
scp21
scp21
United States
2005/02/10, 11:22 AM
I do cardio 3 times a week I always do a 30 min session in the morning (after breakfast) but someytimes I get motivated enough on my cardio days to do 30 mins at night. I know once you hit 30 mins you are in the "fat burning zone" but I was wondering if there would be a big difference if I upped it to 45 mins. I do HIIT so after 30 mins I am always out of breath and sweating profusely, I always run out my 1 liter bottle of water at the end of 30 mins. lol. So I guess my question is, while I know what I am doing is good for me, will upping it to 45 mins be significantly better? thanks :)
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2005/02/11, 01:56 PM
you shouldn't do h.i.i.t. for 30 minutes. if you can do it for that long you aren't going intense enough. 20 minutes is ideal for h.i.i.t., but you also shouldn't do it every time you do cardio. change it up and include an endurance day once or twice a week. doing the same routine repeatedly will make you plateau after a while.

--------------
if you get me started on quentin tarantino films, chances are you won't be able to shut me up.

excuses are really good for making you fat.

margarine is a liar who announces, "i am butter!"
scp21
scp21
United States
2005/02/12, 10:11 AM
Oh trust me, it's intense. I am DRENCHED afterwards. hehe. It makes me feel better though. I can add a day for endurance though, whatever gives me optimal results. Definetly don't wanna plateau. Hey I started an actual routine about 4 weeks ago before that I just kinda did whatever I felt like. I don't have to change for 2 more weeks right?
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2005/02/12, 05:53 PM
it doesn't matter how drenched you are. if you can do h.i.i.t. for 30 minutes your intervals are not intense enough. you should go so hard that you can't do any more after 20 minutes. the point of h.i.i.t. is to go as hard as you can for a short period of time, not pace yourself so you can go 30 minutes and be drenched at the end. if you want you can i.m. me what you do for your h.i.i.t. and i will critique it for you.

changing your routine every 6-8 weeks is ideal, so yes, you have 2-4 more weeks before you need to change it up. change it whenever you feel like you aren't being challenged anymore.

--------------
if you get me started on quentin tarantino films, chances are you won't be able to shut me up.

Timur84
Timur84
United States
2005/02/14, 04:27 PM
After reading all of the posts I am still confused.
I do one hour moderate intensity cardio, and it worked for me until I got to 9% bf. And even if I change exercieses, I cant loose these last maybe 5-pounds. A week ago a bought that Absolution book by S.Phillips and found out about HIIT. Now I am very very confused. He says that its better to do HIIT than long moderate intensity cardio, and I can understand that, because he explains that HIIT helps increase matbolism rate, but doing it on an empty stomach in the morning scares me. Is in the best way to loose muscle? I dont want to loose what I have gained in these 7 months. I am very proud of myself, and what I have achieved, but I want more. And I need your help.

Sorry if I had some mistakes, my english is not yet perfect!

Also, I cant understand how to Instant message?
dannigirl021
dannigirl021
United States
2005/02/14, 09:28 PM
What is HIIT?
gbaser
gbaser
Antigua And Barbuda
2005/02/17, 12:18 AM
Timur84:
I might also be from your nationality -I am assuming from your nationality-...
read the article that is posted on the board yesterday I believe by asimmer. Yes, things like HIIT are used by elite athletes and serious runners to break the plateu. It is basically a 30-45 minute session where your heartrate goes upto 160-180 and down to 120 a few times. I think this is necessary once a week. This will get you faster if you are running or biking. The faster you run the more calories you lose... Also speed sessions keeps burning calories longer than "lower intensity sessions".

I don't know much about dropping body fat from 9% to 5%. Although I am a runner mine is nowhere near that and I have no intentions to bring it there...but I just wanted to let you know about the cardio question.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/02/17, 12:11 PM
HIIT is an acronym for High Intensity Interval Training. In a nutshell, it is doing a cardio session with varying intensities for shorter durations as opposed to long duration cardio of the same energy expenditure.

============
Quoting from dannigirl021:

What is HIIT?
=============

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2005/02/17, 09:19 PM
h.i.i.t. does not run 30-45 minutes. if you can do h.i.i.t. that long your intensity is nowhere near high enough. you can start around 16 minutes — 20 minutes is ideal — i wouldn't recommend more than 24 minutes.

it can be done once or twice a week for maximum effectiveness. don't neglect endurance work — it is equally important for cardiovascular health, although inferior for fat burning purposes.

============
Quoting from gbaser:

Timur84:
It is basically a 30-45 minute session where your heartrate goes upto 160-180 and down to 120 a few times. I think this is necessary once a week. This will get you faster if you are running or biking. The faster you run the more calories you lose... Also speed sessions keeps burning calories longer than "lower intensity sessions".

=============

--------------

Timur84
Timur84
United States
2005/02/18, 12:52 PM

============
Quoting from howdiekat:

h.i.i.t. does not run 30-45 minutes. if you can do h.i.i.t. that long your intensity is nowhere near high enough. you can start around 16 minutes — 20 minutes is ideal — i wouldn't recommend more than 24 minutes.

it can be done once or twice a week for maximum effectiveness. don't neglect endurance work — it is equally important for cardiovascular health, although inferior for fat burning purposes.

=============

Ok, here is what I have been doing this week.
I get up at 6 30 in morning and do HIIT on the track. I sprint the corners as hard as I can. So it all comes to 3 laps total, 2 corners in each lap, so it is 6 sprints.
I would say I am pretty tired after that workout, but i feel if I had an hour to rest I would be able to do more, is that ok?
I do my HIIT on an empty stomach, even tho bb1fit said that it is bad, I have read in the Absolution book by Shawn Phillips that it is better to do it that way. Maybe it is wrong, but I gotta try everything.
I do HIIT three times a week. On nonHIIT days I just jog for 20 minutes.
6 times a week I do weights, and since I started doing HIIT it feels so much better to lift, I get that nice pump as never before.
I try everything, but I am still confused, why HIIT is so beneficial? It is only 20 minutes a day and in my case its not even 10 yet. I just cant do it for longer. My friend and I compete on that track all the time, and I have to give all I have when I sprint against him. He is older, but he still manages to beat me sometimes!
I gave myself a promise, that if I am able to hold on for 8 weeks doing HIIT in the morning I will by myself a Nike stopwatch, those expensive ones:)
I have maybe 5-10 pounds to loose, I was 185 pounds this september (5.8) , now I am 167, but I did it with weight training, long cardio and balanced diet. But lately I was stuck on that 167 168 range, so I thought I have to try something new, so I do HIIT. Maybe that will help loose those stuborn last maybe 10 pounds MAX.
spamalope
spamalope
United States
2005/02/18, 03:41 PM
Firstly - this is a great super post - thank you so much for posting it. I wish I had seen this yesterday before I posted my cardio/exercise question :(

I probably fall into the "fat enough to spare" category - I'm around 18%, I think.

Anyway - given that I have the reserves to be more "flexible" with my cardio (go figure - having fat has an advantage - how about that), I should do it when? Before or after my weights?

I'm going to try to make Cardio it's own thing, but when I do incorporate it - I'm thinking the end of the routine is the best if for no other reason to have the most energy for lifting.

Would you agree?

=============
Now, on the other hand, if you have plenty of fat to spare, it can really become a non issue. I believe this is/should be obvious. You can do your cardio even before if you like, or even on an empty stomach, as in this case total calorie burn is your issue and not saving lean mass, for you probably don’t have enough to save or you have as stated plenty of fat stores to give up. Your body will freely give up fat stores in this case, but still, make your weight session your priority as per the long term benefits.
=============

--------------
_Shane

I dont have to outrun the bear - just you....
bobosensei
bobosensei
United States
2005/02/22, 03:38 PM
If you are going to stick to your fitness routine then do weights first, cardio after. I believe the option to do cardio first, is really only an option if you are not going to do it after the weights because of time restraints or maybe preferences. So it's less of an option and more of like a last resort better than nothing idea for some folks. While you might have fat to spare, it would be better to do cardio after weights so that your muscles are worked as hard as possible and get the maximum benefits. One day you won't have fat to spare so be an optimist and think of this as getting your good habits formed for when you are all muscles :)
JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2005/02/23, 03:50 AM
What's an effective cardio routine for a cutting cycle, Right now i'm doing 2 days of HIIT with 1 day of endurance cardio for about 30-40 minutes. I split this routine with the endurance cardio in the middle. Is this an effective route to go or should i split it with 1 HIIT and 2 days of endurance cardio?
bb2fat
bb2fat
United States
2005/02/24, 08:37 AM
justin, i would say if you want to just get big dont do any endurance just do high intencity I am going by the post by hi there in the is cardio keeping you fat thread. it might be a theory but its makes total sence to me and explains a lot of the above.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/02/24, 07:07 PM
Justin, don't get too involved in when to do HIIT, etc. The fact is, just do your cardio. You are trying to create a caloric deficit, it is not really rocket science(I hate that term, but quickest one I could think of). Don't make a thesis out of things, it is not that difficult.

============
Quoting from JustinE22:

What's an effective cardio routine for a cutting cycle, Right now i'm doing 2 days of HIIT with 1 day of endurance cardio for about 30-40 minutes. I split this routine with the endurance cardio in the middle. Is this an effective route to go or should i split it with 1 HIIT and 2 days of endurance cardio?
=============

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2005/02/24, 07:28 PM
i got ya Ron, i tend to do that sometimes i just need a refresher:)
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/02/25, 01:10 AM
Could you rephrase that please?

============
Quoting from null:

well nobody answered :( i said if someone have limited time to work out let say 2 times per week an hur each and still have to work an overall muscle program and cardio
=============

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
red_ray
red_ray
Canada
2005/03/08, 10:13 AM
So what's something that you can eat before doing cardio in the morning. For some people, like myself, cardio in the morning is the only way to go. From what everybody says here, cardio in the a.m is not good. So, what can be done to make it good?
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2005/03/13, 04:53 AM
BB1 posted earlier in the thread the approximate absorption times for various foodstuffs. Choose what to eat based on how much time you have before exercise - eg if you have 2 hours have slow release food (eg oatmeal) if you only have half an hour then you need to pick something which is absorbed faster.
techiegirl1979
techiegirl1979
Canada
2005/03/15, 09:43 AM
CAn someone give me an example of HITT, meaning an actual routine they might do, I am somewhat confused on HITT.
So say I work out 5 days a week, I am thinking I would do HITT twice a week and fill the rest of my cardio workouts with endurance cardio. DOes this sound right?
I am looking to be tone and cut. I dont want huge mass.
I am on a FT program right now and its going well, but i am getting bored with my cardio.
Sometimes i do three 10 minute high intensity workouts right after each other, I dont think this is HITT though
.:)

--------------
Julie
"We can do anything we want to do if we stick to it long enough"
-Helen Keller
karmic7982
karmic7982
United States
2005/03/21, 10:38 PM
Why does it say, "Cardiovascular activity is most effective when performed immediately after a workout or early in the morning before your breakfast." in my personlized exercise program if the best option is to do cardio on days you don't lift.
bropie
bropie
Canada
2005/03/22, 08:41 AM
I understood cardio after a workout to be ok, but usually if you do a really intense weight session, you're going to have depleted much of your glycogen stores, and probably not perform up to your full potential. Same with in the morning right when you wake up, your insulin levels are at their lowest. Having a snack before your run I think would be the most beneficial thing to do in the morning, something that will b broken down quickly for your body, and give you that boost so you have something to run off and dont slip into muscle breakdown.
And doing cardio on your rest days, I guess that is ok if its not hindering your performance on your weight days. Rest days are for recooperating, and if maximum muscle gains are your thing, then doing intense cardio on those days may not be the best option.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/03/22, 08:18 PM
That needs to be changed. It is in fact not optimal if you are trying to spare lean tissue.

If you are way overweight, then as my sticky points out, throw that out the window. But if you are trying to get a lean toned body and have some muscle tone, this option is not the best and in fact detrimental.

============
Quoting from karmic7982:

Why does it say, "Cardiovascular activity is most effective when performed immediately after a workout or early in the morning before your breakfast." in my personlized exercise program if the best option is to do cardio on days you don't lift.
=============

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
nannysis
nannysis
United Kingdom
2005/03/31, 06:34 AM
can i do cardio as well as weights on the same training session
leeyah
leeyah
United Kingdom
2005/04/01, 10:06 AM
i get soooooooooooo confused wen i read these posts i meen why cant sum1 just answer a basic question i dnt wanna be a body builder or compete in competitions.. all i want is to tone up and hav a lean body enough to look good and not look fat ...im 141lbs/64kg 5.4" 20 years old....now in real terms tel me what i hav 2 do to get the body i require i want to lose abt 2 stones...now can sum1 tell me how? i have acces to the gym and can go every day if required and i want to do weights in order to tone up i need sum direction plz help i hav 2 months to achieve something..thank you
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/04/01, 06:34 PM
Leeyah, work out dilligently, and eat a quality diet that is below your maintenance calories. This really is the bottom line, forget all the bodybuilding stuff as you say. You must know your maintenance calorie level, then start intelligent calorie cuts. I recommend 250 per day, this should be nice and not a shock to the body. Choose your foods wisely, shoot for a high protein lower carb(do not cut carbs too drastically though, use good carbs...an ideal way is source your highest carb intake around your workout, the rest fof the day try to stay with fibrous veggies and fats with your proteins). A good macro amount proven time and again for solid weight loss is 50/20/30, P/C/F. You may not be able to achieve this right off the bat, so you may start with something a bit like 40/40/20 and work your way to the first set of macros.

In the most simplistic terms, it is all about diet. Expending more calories than you take in. It really is that simple. It is not easy, but the process is a simple one. When you reach a point where you are no longer losing for a couple weeks, another calorie decrease or more energy expenditure output or a combination of the two is needed.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/04/04, 06:04 PM
Your reasoning is sound. 2 days of cardio is fine, especially with little to lose and a sound diet. I would vary it up, HIIT and standard longer sessions.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
Curtis4475
Curtis4475
United States
2005/04/06, 02:16 PM
Is smoking a bong-hit after a work out okay, not before but after? Just like some people might induldge in a coors light after a long day's work, and maybe a resistance traing + cardio work out. I myself indulge in a nice bowl of weed about 30-45 mins after. Im not trying to be a total dumbass. This post is about cardio and I ushally get stoned after the gym to relax my mind and body.
sivysivy
sivysivy
United States
2005/06/11, 02:13 AM
:)
dmwalker
dmwalker
United States
2005/06/16, 02:38 PM
Thanks for clearing up an on-going battle with my boyfriend and myself about cardio on an empty stomach. I knew I was right!!! Of Course!!:big_smile:
boxingsensation
boxingsensation
United Kingdom
2005/07/20, 06:57 PM
im 16 and am a amatuer boxer. My coach has said i can be in the london games in 2012 because my boxing ability is good but my fitness level can be improved.

can any one suggest a diet i should go on to improve my fitness.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/21, 06:36 AM
I am not a fan of the fasted state cardio....never have been. Only if I totally mistimed my diet would I do this, and be willing to sacrifice lbm to make the deadline.

The theory is FFA are high in the morning, which they are. If I was ever to do fasted state cardio, it certainly would not be HIIT. HIIT is WAY too anerobic in nature, and has to call at the very least on glycogen stores.

Any sudden burst type movements cannot possibly utilize fatty acids, they simply cannot mobilze that fast. This is why anerobic activities rely on glycogen and muscle, this would more than negate any fatty acid utilization doing HIIT.

============
Quoting from dmwalker:

Thanks for clearing up an on-going battle with my boyfriend and myself about cardio on an empty stomach. I knew I was right!!! Of Course!!:big_smile:
=============

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
DeadOnArrival
DeadOnArrival
Australia
2005/08/04, 05:56 AM
bb1fit

I stumbled accross this site. http://www.arthurdevany.com/

Art is 68 and weighting in at 208lbs @8% fat. He talks about training hungry for max HGH secretion. Take a look.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/08/05, 01:18 AM
Without reading this, I can pretty well tell you what he is going to say. The tiny spurt of GH you may get is not at all worth the chance of catabolism. Sorry....the argument for GH does not wash.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
DeadOnArrival
DeadOnArrival
Australia
2005/08/11, 08:49 PM
Yeah, I'm not training on an empty stomach. Still a good site with some interesting stuff on there.
marctyson
marctyson
United States
2005/10/27, 01:07 PM
Should I eat breakfast before or after my morning cardio
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2006/01/15, 10:56 AM
Bump. Maybe sticky this?

--------------
I am training for birthdays.

Be here. Live. Love. Hope. Now. Faith. Believe. You. - Keith Urban

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/02/16, 11:20 AM
Okay, I stickied this again, but it gets so confounded in the middle there - so many people posting the same questions!!!! Wade through and find the truth. here is an compressed version of a similar post:

From bb1fit:

Well, if you have plenty of fat to spare, it probably doesn't really matter. But if you are a bit lean, and have worked hard to gain some muscle, do not make the mistake of doing cardio first thing in the morning, as you are already in a catabolic state from the overnight fast, and you are prolonging and worsening its effects doing this.

Never work out on an empty stomach. True, you will burn a buttload of calories, but they will be as much lean tissue as fat. Never sacrifice lean tissue(long term results) for a short term scale view. You will pay in the long run.

From asimmer:

You lose muscle when you exercise too hard or too much, without supporting it nutritionally.

Exercising first thing in the morning has been shown to burn more calories the rest of the day in some studies, but other studies have contradicted those findings.
Many people have had success losing fat by doing cardio first thing in the morning - it does raise your metabolism first thing, and I think it becomes a habit easier when it is the first thing you do. When you wait until later to do your cardio it is easier to let things take priority over it and end up not doing it.
If it feels good and it seems to work for you, do it! It is a great way to start your day - think of how much you have accomplished, first thing in the morning you have already done more exercise than 60% of the population will do in their lifetime.

If you wake up hungry - as I do - have a small, light protein based meal - I found that convenience-wise a low or no-carb protein shake was quick and I could drink it while I got my workout clothes on and go.

If you are a bodybuilder, concerned with losing muscle, take bbfit's advice - you could lose some mass.

If you find that you are tired all day after adding am cardio - it could be it just isn't for you. We all have the same basic components, but it is amazing how differently our bodies respond to different routines.

remember to eat a good, balanced meal after your am cardio - get some glycogen into your muscles and give your body the protein it needs to prevent catabolism.

No matter what time of day you do cardio, you are burning calories, boosting your metabolism and helping prevent life-style related diseases while strengthening your heart and lungs - not a bad deal at any time of day!
And the intensity at which you do your cardio isn't as paramount as we used to think - yes, at lower-to-moderate intensity you tap more into bodyfat, but at higher or interval intensity you burn more total calories, which a percentage comes from fat, so either way you are doing good work.

remember not to overdo it and fatigue your heart!!! You will get better results if you increase your fitness level at a reasonable pace than if you wear yourself out.

Good luck!

From bb1fit:

If you are looking to tone up, make weight training your priority. Do not do cardio at the expense of weight training. I would always suggest doing your weight training first while glycogen stores are full and you thus will have more energy to lift heavier and harder. Building lean tissue is your best friend in the battle of the bulge. Do your cardio secondary. I would do your cardio in the evening. As far as what or when to eat before exercising, any kind of exercise, if you have to eat and go directly to the gym, then a shake(liquid type meal) is in order. If on the other hand, you have an hour to hour and a half or so before training, then a good complex carb source like oats and some protein will be great.

If you want to do cardio first thing in the morning, this is fine, but still don't do it immediately upon waking without any fuel. You are asking for disaster. Always have some protein at the very least before any physical endeavor.

Also, if I may elaborate a bit on my position of why I believe weight training first is best as per my post above. The media and "fitness gurus" for years emphasized for women cardio as an exercise over weights due to the stigma that women didn't want to get muscular and bulky! So, weights were disdained by women. But one thing was lacking, women do not have the testosterone of men, and will never ever get big and bulky, heck, even guys have a hard time doing this and they try! But, quite the opposite is true. By doing resistance training, you are building a fat burning machine that will burn fat 24 hrs. per day, 7 days per week as compared to cardio only, which even with HIIT at best is the raising of baseline metabolism for the day only. Placing your emphasis first and foremost on heavy hard resistance training, you will get farther than by making cardio your first priority. Look at any woman who is lean and tight and ask them how they got that way, not through cardio!! Look at long distance runners, a perfect example, are they lean and tight? No, they may be a bit lean, but they also have no muscle tone, and if they stop running, they will put on weight quickly because they have no muscle to burn calories.

Froshman asks:

I need help with this cuz everything seems contradictory to me. Here is my situation: I'm about 6'1" and about 190. I'm thin with some excess flab around my lower abs. I want to display the 6 pack, so I've been doing ab work and cardio in the morning before i eat, alternating between HIIT and steady paced cardio. I usually do it about 4 times a week. I also cut carbs down to oatmeal and fruits. I've been up to it for like 2 months and haven't seen much progress. I recently read that you should wait between 50 and 60 minutes after doing cardio before eating breakfast so that your body can burn fat. I was gonna start this tomorrow, but now I'm not sure if I should. I do lift weights, but am a hardgainer so I don't have much muscle mass. However, i don't want to lose what muscle i have gained. This is my conflict. I only have about 2 inches of fat to burn off, s after 2 months, it seems to me that I should have accomplished this by now. I've been thinking about taking Ripped Abs Fuel by Twinlabs or Stacker 2 or something along those lines to expedite the process, but i don't know if its safe or even worth the money. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!! What should I do???

bb1fit responds:

You may actually not be eating enough. Look to your diet. If you have cut calories to the bone, your metabolism will slow in down, and in response thyroid output will slow. This is all counterproductive to fat burning, as it will actually cease. Then if you do what you what you are doing, working out before eating, you are actually burning muscle rather than fat. The body is programmed from the very early days for survival, not for looking good at the beach. It will actually learn to store fat in anticipation, kind of like the dark ages when being chased for hours by predators or running through endless jungles. I know it sounds hard to think you have to eat more to lose, but in many cases this is the fact. The body is an intricate machine, and will survive as best it knows how, and this is holding on to fat stores, not muscle. So, investigate your diet.

Resistance training should always takes priority over cardio. Here's why....

The long term gains of increased LBM and increased secretion of hormones like GH and test far outweigh the calories burned during a cardio session..

by doing cardio before weights you are simply reducing the amount of glycogen available that could have been used more effectively to fuel your muscles through the weight training session...this point cannot be stressed enough.

Top 3 scenarios for doing weights and cardio in order of importance:

#1 - On non-weight training days
#2 - weights in the am and cardio in the pm
#3 - light-cardio after weights

If fat burn is your goal, have a meal of lean protein/fats and fiber. This will keep intact any lypolysis you may have achieved from your workout.

--------------
Never, never, never, never give up.
- Winston Churchill
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/02/18, 01:53 PM
The mechanism of fat burning would dictate having amino acids in your system. If you do not,(as in fasted state first thing in the morning, they will have to come from somewheree, namely lean tissue.

Here is how FA oxidation works....

In the mitochondria, even number fatty acids are broken down by a process known as b-oxidation. The derives from the fact that it is the b carbon which is attacked during the oxidation process.

In b-oxidation, the fatty acid broken down to release acetyl-CoA.

IN STARVATION (or a high fat/low carbohydrate/low protein diet) will cause problems.....

for fats to be converted to citric acid, oxaloacetate must be available. Without oxaloacetate, citric acid cannot be formed and acetyl-CoA cannot be further processed.

Oxaloacetate can be produced from the breakdown of certain amino acids. However a person on a high fat/low carbohydrate/low protein diet, will need to use the oxaloacetate for gluconeogenesis.

Fatty acid breakdown however must still occur for ATP generation and acetyl-CoA will need to be processed through an alternative pathway. This pathway leads to the formation of ketone bodies.

The amino acids will need to be derived from muscle tissue, leading to muscle wastage.

--------------
Strength and Honor!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/03/22, 11:39 AM
A bit to add here as far as the cardio type itself....

One recent study is concurrent with my suggestions for cardio, which is longer duration, steady state. Seems researchers found that walking at 60% VO2Max for 1 hr. iincreased fat burning significantly for the next 20 hrs!

--------------
Strength and Honor!
stephieyes
stephieyes
United States
2006/04/05, 10:38 AM
What is the best form of cardio to do while at the gym? Which one will give quicker results? Which will burn more calories? Which will allow you to lose the most weight in the shortest amount of time?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/04/05, 11:38 AM
Whatever cardio you do will result in bascially the same thing. Calorie deficit. If one apparatus says 20 more calories than another, does it really make any difference?

You are trying to create a deficit, plain and simple.

--------------
Strength and Honor!
DGJ3
DGJ3
United States
2006/04/21, 02:26 PM
I agree with your post. Carbohydrates are much more valuable if your use them correctly...that is weight lifting before cardio. Also, by weight lifting before cardio, the carbohydrates are used up already, making your cardio more efficient because it targets your fat cells, rather than the carbohydrates.
rhardgrove78
rhardgrove78
United States
2006/04/26, 06:47 PM
Ok I ed the first post and I still am not sure what is best for me, maybe you can help. I am 200 pounds and carry most of my weight in my belly. I have a gym I can go to for free but I can only go for an hour because I have to go during my lunvh break. I am dieting low crabs and low fat. I want to know if going to the gym , doing a 5 minute cardio warm up and then some "toning" (reps on some machines for arms and legs) and then about 25 minutes of cardio is effective. I am trying to get the most out of my hour. I go 4 days a week M-Th. If you or anyone has any advice I would appreciate it. My main goal is to loose 40 pds and tone up. THANKS
syljon
syljon
United States
2006/06/13, 08:36 PM
i am very on the big side. and i always thought i had to do cardio first to start out . but reading i guess not (huh)
redskinsfan1
redskinsfan1
United States
2006/06/13, 09:47 PM
I run 6 days a week. When i run i run a good 5 miles, will that help me get rid of some fat in my belly and abs?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/07/15, 08:13 PM
Increase your calories 10-15% above maintenance for starters. Cut back on your cardio...if you don't, you will have to take in even more calories to offset the energy expenditure if you want to try to gain any muscle.

Protein shakes are not necessary, whole food calories are much more beneficial. However, if it helps you to increase your calories, I would suggest a simple process like take a couple cups of skim milk, mix in a scoop or two of protein, and throw it in a cooler. Carry it with you, and add ice as needed. Sip on it when you think about it between meals. Good blend of casein and whey.

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
capt57
capt57
United States
2006/07/16, 09:54 AM
bb1... i feel as if im at a stuck point in my routine. i cannot seem to get rid of that little extra around my waist and well everywhere else. last time i had my bodyfat checked it was around 16%. i want to get down to around 7-8%. i do weight training 5 days a week, working one body part a day and going to failure as much as possible. i do not seem to have a problem gaining strength and muscle comes at a descent pace but i have never been able to get the ripped look ive always wanted. i eat around 2500 kcal a day. almost all of my food is whole grain and high in protein. i eat lean meats and do not believe that i need to improve my eating habits. i stay away from saturated fats and simple carbs. i will admit that my cardio is kind of low but i always hear that muscle is more important to build that doing cadio. even when i was in great shape as far as muscle went, i still could not get ripped buy my eating habits back then were not so good. it is extremely frustrating and i feel as if you have to have good genetics and a natural metabolism through the roof to get the ripped look. is this a misconception i have or have you found this to be true. also any suggestions on what i should do to get this way if it is not genetic. thanks a bunch.
resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 3 4 of 4 pages resultset_next resultset_last