Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 377, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Sticky Cardio questions?

resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 3 4 of 4 pages resultset_next resultset_last
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/05/28, 10:03 AM
princesslodgey - i thought this might be of interest to you, and it reinforces what bbfit has said about the need for proteinin your stomach before cardio

Sports science update: Protein and performance
By Matt Fitzgerald
PoweringMuscles.com
5/26/2004

A remarkable new study could change the way athletes fuel their bodies during training and competition.

In the forthcoming July issue of Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, researchers at James Madison University report powerful evidence that consuming a modest amount of protein in a sports drink during exercise can increase endurance, reduce muscle damage, and enhance recovery.

Fifteen male cyclists completed a stationary ride to exhaustion while drinking either a conventional sports drink containing 7.3% carbohydrate (Gatorade) or a sports drink containing an equal amount of carbohydrate plus 1.8% protein (Accelerade).

The following day, the cyclists completed a second ride to exhaustion at a higher intensity, this time without drinking anything. Before they began the second ride, a blood sample was taken and its concentration of creatine phosphokinase (CPK) was measured. CPK is a biomarker of muscle damage.

Two weeks later, this whole procedure was repeated with one change. The cyclists who had been randomly assigned to drink the carbohydrate sports drink in the first trial received the carbohydrate-protein drink in the second trial, and those who received the combined drink in the first trial received the carbohydrate drink in the second.

The results will be of great interest to all athletes. On average, the subjects were able to cycle 29% longer in the first ride and 40% longer in the second ride when given the carbohydrate-protein drink during the first ride than they were when given the drink without protein.

In addition, the carbohydrate-protein drink was found to reduce CPK levels by 83%, indicating significantly less muscle damage.

While the differences are clear, the precise reasons for these differences have not yet been determined. The authors of the study noted that while the carbohydrate-protein drink had more total calories than the carbohydrate drink, the additional calories in the former could account for no more than 12% of the differences in performance.

Also, scientists have long known that simply adding more carbohydrate to a sports drink does not make it more effective. There seems to be a special synergy between carbohydrate and protein.

Researchers at a few universities are now trying to figure out exactly how the addition of protein to a sports drink increases endurance, reduces muscle damage, and accelerates recovery.

In the meantime, as an athlete, you don't need to know why it works -- it's enough just to know that it does!

Copyright 2004 by Poweringmuscles. Published with permission. For cutting-edge sports nutrition info, visit www.poweringmuscles.com.

--------------
If you fall down seven times, get up eight.
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2004/05/28, 10:17 AM
That is really interesting, asimmer. I always make sure I've stocked up on protein before I go - it's hard to tell whether that's enough or if I should top up during as well without knowing what these guys were eating before and after their exercise.
An excellent post, thankyou, I am seriously going to consider looking at protein containing drinks. I've not seen accelerade in the UK but I will do some research.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/05/28, 10:37 AM
add some whey protein to your gatorade! You can get flavorles whey (ON whey) or I have found that vanila doesn't go too badly with diferent flavors of crystal lite, so it probably wouldn't be too bad with gatorade. Or maybe try the nectar protein, it has fruit flavors that would probably mix well with a carb drink.

--------------
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/05/28, 10:47 AM
Great article in the powerlifting forum, reinforces this cardio discussion -

Food for Thought

http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/pro/Message.jsp?f_ix=15&t_ix=523&m_st=t

--------------
bandit390
bandit390
United States
2004/05/30, 11:45 PM
Soon as I wake up I drink a protein shake with milk, then go lift weights and run a mile. When I get home I eat a meal with another protein shake. Would that still be considered a empty stomach? Or is a protein shake good enough?

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

You would not dream of working out on an empty stomach, would you? Never work out on an empty stomach. True, you will burn a buttload of calories, but they will be as much lean tissue as fat. Never sacrifice lean tissue (long term results) for a short term fix.

=============
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/06/07, 01:10 PM
I would just like to say that these posts were extremely informative and helpful. I have adjusted my workouts accordingly and appreciate your suggestions as I am feeling better each and every day! :love:

--------------
Veda
MISERY IS OPTIONAL

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
DeeTee
DeeTee
Australia
2004/06/16, 10:28 PM
Wow, my brain is in total overload. I've taken on board all that has been said and I thank you all. Some times the more you read in different sites the more complicated, confusing and contradictory things get. I have to say Im going to stick with what has worked for everyone in here. It all sounds like the best way to go, most sensible thing I've read in a while.
Thanks again,
Donna
Reckin007
Reckin007
Canada
2004/06/22, 09:19 PM
Okay...whew that was alot, but really informative. I'm about 5'7" and right now 215 pounds. I was 230 in October. I usually do cardio and then a little bit of weights. After reading this post I see I should do weights one day and cardio another but still warm up before weights. Now should I do a full body workout on that one day, that kind of seems like alot, I always read web pages about over training muscles and that you're supposed to do a few muscles each day. So should I split up the days? and how should I do that (eg. chest, triceps, shoulders one day, cardio the next, and then back, biceps, forearms?) Another question is how can I tone these ridiculous tank arms of mine...all my friends make fun of me haha :) Sorry this is long, thanks for all the input :big_smile:
Reckin007
Reckin007
Canada
2004/06/22, 09:21 PM
Oh by the way, when I say a little bit of weights, I do 45 minutes of cardio (15 jog, 30 walk with speed and incline variations) and then I'll do like one exercise per muscle...is this no good? I'm so lost now ahhhh :)
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/06/23, 02:14 AM
Reckin - there are lots of good programs here under fitness resources - try one and see how it goes.
It will be more effective than your previous plan.

To 'tone' your arms, which I am guessing you mean gain definition, you need to build some muscle and lose fat.

Much of your results will hinge on proper nutrition.

--------------

\\"Inscribe this on the charm that dangles from your navel, girls. Guys, tattoo this on your biceps:

Building muscle and might builds strong minds and character. Respect and humility come from lifting weights and feeding yourself with care. And from these distinguished qualities a great nation of people is built, by God. (Of course the God part is your choice, friend.)\\" Dave Draper

Reckin007
Reckin007
Canada
2004/06/23, 09:19 AM
What type of nutrition should I be looking for, I see the board that has the bodybuilders grocers list, but I was just wondering the basics. I'm definetly going to get into the protein shakes now, but what else should I be going after in order to get leaner and thinner (lose about 20 pounds for trimmer look but keep the muscle)? Just a broad idea would be helpful (are carbs okay?). I usually go out of my way to buy cans of tuna, and lots of chicken, is there anything else I should be getting?
Reckin007
Reckin007
Canada
2004/06/23, 11:04 AM
Actually I posted the last message, null took it over, I'm at work so I guess it took too long to post and the server kicked me off.
aec2003
aec2003
United States
2004/06/23, 04:18 PM
bb1fit I have a question...I read your post but I'm a little confused about it. I just started a new workout plan on June 15, so I've been doing it for exactly a week now. I am slightly below average weight for my height. My new workout plan is this: Sunday-Taebo & lifting weights, Monday-Taebo & ab workout, Tuesday-leg workout, Wednesday-Taebo & ab workout, Thursday-Taebo & lifting weights, Friday-leg workout, Saturday- Taebo & ab workout. Do you think this is a good workout plan for someone who is slightly below average weight or am I burning lean tissue? I still don't fully understand this.
2004/06/28, 10:02 AM
Yeah im also not too sure on what your saying, I go to gym monday - chest and tri, tuesday - back shoulders and bicep, thursday - chest tri, friday back and shoulders. So the only times i should do cardio is on wednesday saturday and sunday?
Im 16% bodyfat with fat build up in my chest and stomach, although from just eating well i have lost 4 kgs. just not sure when to throw in cardio?

cheers
ChanceDog
ChanceDog
United States
2004/07/04, 01:58 AM
Firstly incase it helps in your reply I'm a 34 year old male. Weighing 170LBS at 5'6 inches. and carry about 6 to 8 inches too many on the waste. The rest of me is pretty much OK.....ish :O) I have read with great interest your post named cardio questions. It seemed to have created a real stir and it made me think real hard about what I have been taught in the past. i.e.: cardio burns fat, do cardio first thing on an empty stomach....cardio this........cardio that!!! I read you post and all of its comments TWICE. You seem to be not only knowledgeable about the subject but also living proof of what you wrote in the post and by NO way am I doubting you. However like I said before.....it flies in the face of what I have been taught so just took some thinking about, so now I have a question for you which you are probably sick to death of answering but here goes anyway.

(The following routine I have been doing for 8 weeks & has 8 weeks left to run). I work out HARD 6 times a week and power walk a total of 15 miles a week (3 miles a day for 5 days Monday thru Friday) I do resistance training on Monday, Wednesday & Fridays. I do a HIIT on Tuesdays, Thursdays & Saturdays for 45 mins a session with a 5 to 7 minute AB's session at the end of HIIT. I'm toning well and gaining muscle but still struggling to lose the extra soft tissue around the mid rift! Now with your knowledge...........should I drop some of the cardio & exchange for more resistance training? Or continue for the next 8 weeks as planed and drop the power walking after the next four weeks ....as planed. OR............... do something else?

Before you answer, I always power walk AFTER resistance training and sometimes a few hours after both the resistance training & HIIT if my schedule permits. After the eight weeks I'm picking up a new three day resistance schedule from freetrainers.com While doing a new 12 week cardio routine for the other three days. Well, that's unless you can advise otherwise. Thanks in advance for your time.

(ChanceDog)
:dumbbell:
uconn90
uconn90
United States
2004/07/23, 06:41 PM
this doesnt really relate to this mess. board, but when i run the mile in school, i walk during it, i get tired, and my time is like 8:00. but when i play basketball, i feel like i can run forever, in games i dont get tired, and i feel like i can dunk the ball everytime. is there a way that i can boost myself up when i go running
littlepackage
littlepackage
United States
2004/07/27, 08:23 AM
Can anyone suggest a good elliptical machine to purchase for use at home?
atifk
atifk
United Arab Emirates
2004/08/04, 11:34 PM
hey bb1fit
im havin trouble deciding if i should reduce my fat by weight training or cardio training?

im 5'10 and 75 kg
i have man boobs & a belly!

i run for about 30 mins 3 days a week & weight train for the other 3 days (but only with dumbbells cos thats all the equipment i have!).
The cardio results in around 450 calories lost in 30 mins but i think i might switch to HIIT instead.
The cardio is done as soon as i get up on an empty stomach...actually on a glass of milk.

My question then is, is cardio what i should be doing or should i give up on cardio and so it 1nce a week n the rest of the days just concentrate on weight training so that i can build more muscle instead?
Asking because i dont know if i fit into the overweight or 'normal' weight category (accordin to the bmi im 24)as well as not wanting to burn off any lean muscle that i may have developed while weight training.

Any help would be wonderful thanks
Atif

bluedenim27
bluedenim27
Canada
2004/08/18, 01:56 PM
Ok so I am 5 10 and weigh 174 lbs. I want to do two things, lose the fat in the stomach area and yet I want to start building muscle...it seems from what I read that it is tough to do both...

so in my case I am designing a work out schedule and wondering if this is what I should do, I am including abs in the cardio.

Day one: weights in the morning followed by a protien shake
cardio in the evening

Day Two: Cardio only

Alternate this taking two days off of rest a week.

Am I on the right track here?
hckygoalie
hckygoalie
United States
2004/08/23, 04:37 PM
BB1-The advice for people with excess fat that it's ok to do cardio on an empty stomach is a bad idea. I've read elsewhere that by eating a snack before a workout and after a workout you burn calories at a faster rate than your resting rate longer than on an empty stomach. Also, by doing excersise on an empty stomach is bad for you because you will eventually start burning muscle instead of fat and by the next time you eat the average person will over eat and just store more fat.

I believe it is never a good idea to excersise (weight light or cardio or whatever) on an empty stomach.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/08/23, 08:21 PM
I never stated it was a good thing! I have explicitly stated over and over it is not a good thing, what I said in my post was if you have "plenty" of fat stores, it could become a nonissue due to the fact that you probably don't have much muscle to lose in the first place, and calorie burn is your #1 goal to get your weight down for health reasons. If you are very overweight, the number one thing is to get your weight down by almost whatever means necessary to get healthier first. I still do not recommend doing it on an empty stomach, but if the end justifies the means in extreme cases.....Don't read more into the post than is there!

============
Quoting from hckygoalie:

BB1-The advice for people with excess fat that it's ok to do cardio on an empty stomach is a bad idea. I've read elsewhere that by eating a snack before a workout and after a workout you burn calories at a faster rate than your resting rate longer than on an empty stomach. Also, by doing excersise on an empty stomach is bad for you because you will eventually start burning muscle instead of fat and by the next time you eat the average person will over eat and just store more fat.

I believe it is never a good idea to excersise (weight light or cardio or whatever) on an empty stomach.
=============

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/08/25, 07:32 PM
While you make a correct point that you are not getting the energy so much from the food eaten prior, but from previously digested food(stored glycogen), it does matter in the long run as to whether you have fuel prior, especially so in how intense your training session is, and your current bodyfat levels. The big picture is at stake here, not just one day. If you would continue to train on an empty stomach, over a short period of time you will eventually become glycogen impaired, and quicker even if at low bodyfat levels. It will have additive effects over a short period of time. This will in turn lead to a muscle wasting effect.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/08/26, 09:54 AM
Depends on how you do cardio for one...for instance HIIT has a very high anerobic component to it, therefore the muscles will be greatly involved. Though fat burning is better with HIIT in the long run due to increased metabolic rate throughout the day and not just in the cardio session. Therefore "fuel" is greatly desirable. Here are some common digestion times for fuels...

DIGESTION TIME OF VARIOUS FOODS
(approx. time spent in stomach before emptying). ........

Water
when stomach is empty, leaves immediately and goes into intestines,

Juices
Fruit vegetables, vegetable broth - 15 to 20 minutes.

Semi-liquid
(blended salad, vegetables or fruits) - 20 to 30 min.

Fruits
Watermelon - 20 min.digestion time.
Other melons - Canteloupe, Cranshaw, Honeydew etc. - 30 min.
Oranges, grapefruit, grapes - 30 min.
Apples, pears, peaches, cherries etc. - digest in 40 min.

Vegetables
Raw tossed salad vegetables - tomato, lettuces, cucumber, celery, red or green pepper, other succulent vegetables - 30 to 40 min. digestion. -
Steamed or cooked vegetables
Leafy vegetables - escarole, spinach, kale, collards etc. - 40 min. - Zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, string beans, yellow squash, corn on cob - all 45 min. digestion time
Root vegetables - carrots, beets, parsnips, turnips etc. - 50 min.

Semi-Concentrated Carbohydrates - Starches
Jerusalem artichokes & leafy, acorn & butternut squashes, corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yam, chestnuts - all 60 min. digestion.

Concentrated Carbohydrates - Grains
Brown rice, millet, buckwheat, cornmeal, oats (first 3 vegetables best) - 90 min.

Legumes & Beans - (Concentrated Carbohydrate & Protein)
Lentils, limas, chick peas, peas, pigeon peas, kidney beans, etc. - 90 min. digestion time
soy beans -120 min. digestion time

Seeds & Nuts
Seeds - Sunflower, pumpkin, pepita, sesame - Digestive time approx. 2 hours.
Nuts - Almonds, filberts, peanuts (raw), cashews, brazil, walnuts, pecans etc. - 2 1/2 to 3 hours to digest.

Dairy
Skim milk, cottage or low fat pot cheese or ricotta - approx. 90 min. digestion time
whole milk cottage cheese - 120 min. digestion
whole milk hard cheese - 4 to 5 hours digestion time
Animal proteins
Egg yolk - 30 min. digestion time
Whole egg - 45 min.

Fish - cod, scrod, flounder, sole seafood - 30 min. digestion time
Fish - salmon, salmon trout, herring, (more fatty fish) - 45 min. to 60 digestion time
Chicken - 11/2 to 2 hours digestion time (without skin)
Turkey - 2 to 2 1/4 hours digestion time (without skin)
Beef, lamb - 3 to 4 hours digestion time
Pork - 41/2 to 5 hours digestion time

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
kakaroto
kakaroto
El Salvador
2004/08/26, 10:02 AM
DANG...
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2004/08/26, 01:32 PM
That list is really helpful, BB1, maybe it could be pasted and stickied in the nutrition board?
KageanRage
KageanRage
Australia
2004/09/02, 10:30 PM
hmm, it's called me null for some reason
i suppose it's got a ring to it...
leeyah
leeyah
United Kingdom
2004/09/07, 09:14 AM
oops forgot to login ...null thats me..lol
GOWAR
GOWAR
United States
2004/09/11, 07:46 PM
To NULL: you should try running on the treadmill with layered clothing at an intense pace. When i usually run on the treadmill I wear 2 sweat shirts plus the hood, on 6.5 to 6.6 speed for 10 minutes, and I weigh 215lbs., so i dont know what is intense for you. Also make sure you're eating healthy and not so many carbs, fats, and sugar. Also I dont run on the treadmill until I have finished my weightlifting workout, so i do it at the very end, even on a squats day.
leeyah
leeyah
United Kingdom
2004/09/12, 04:10 AM
wearing more clothing? wont that make me lose water weight?..ok hw duz this sound?....im abt to start my new job in the middle of october..i eat poride oats with semi skimmd milk for brekfast....loads of salad with a bit of tuna and cottage cheese for lunch...and an apple for later. and i run 2 times a day which equals 2 1000 calories of running and walking per day...i sumtimes do a bit of boxing and weights...but im nt sure what weights i can do? so all i do is run on the treadmill as i have one at home...ive dun this for a week now...and its been pretty hard...but i gta be slim for this new job or else il feel like shite.
molson2
molson2
United States
2004/09/13, 02:42 AM
Hey leeyah, I am kind of new at this stuff too but just out of curiousity how long have you been on this "diet & exercise program?" You seem to have yourself on a strict diet but are you even getting enough nutrients and vitamins you actually need on a daily basis? Also, you do realize that weight loss isnt something that happens overnight....It takes time and patients :big_smile:

============
Quoting from leeyah:

wearing more clothing? wont that make me lose water weight?..ok hw duz this sound?....im abt to start my new job in the middle of october..i eat poride oats with semi skimmd milk for brekfast....loads of salad with a bit of tuna and cottage cheese for lunch...and an apple for later. and i run 2 times a day which equals 2 1000 calories of running and walking per day...i sumtimes do a bit of boxing and weights...but im nt sure what weights i can do? so all i do is run on the treadmill as i have one at home...ive dun this for a week now...and its been pretty hard...but i gta be slim for this new job or else il feel like shite.
=============
leeyah
leeyah
United Kingdom
2004/09/13, 06:37 AM
obviously i know it won't happen overnight...but in theory if u eat less and burn more you lose weight..ive lost 3 pounds in my first weak but i did have a burger at the family BBQ. so i guess that hindered my performance..anyway i feel energetic and i eat loads of greens..not to much fruit..lik ei said i have loadsa salad...this sumtimes includes anything green! and you know something it tastes soooo goood! im serious...i have so much energy to run...and i feel great that sumthing is changing... after i lose enough weight i wil join the gym and start weights so i have a fat burning furnace ...right now i cant afford the gym as im a student and have taken a year out for a placement for working(2 yrs uni..1 yr work..then final year uni = degree)and besides i dnt have the confidence to go fat into a gym i want to be slim and work out to maintain instead of losing..u get me? but if anyone could tell me what is meant by weights in terms of women and losing weight? do we have to lift heavy weights or do u mean squats and stuff? i wanna loose weight and keep it off..i havnt strugled with ma weght al ma life or anything its just now..any suggests are welcomed....l8a xxxxp.s yes im frm the UK hence the slang! whoopsie xx
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/09/22, 08:58 PM
BB1, I'm sure you're sick of answering all these questions on this, but I cannot weight train in the morning. My body just doesn't function that way, and I perform my very best around 4 or 5pm. So if I do weights pm, when would be the best time for cardio? After the workout?

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

leeyah
leeyah
United Kingdom
2004/09/24, 08:47 AM
hey can sum1 plz read my post above and offer their views and experience?..thank you:love:
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/09/26, 12:05 AM
Leeyah, you'lle want to be doing sets of 10-15 with the proper amount of weight in your weight training and will want to include all body parts. Keep in mind that weight training is more important for burning fat than cardio! The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn (higher metabolism) and you're body burns calories rebuilding the muscle too. I'm pretty much the only one at my gym that does real squats, but I see a lot of girls doing them on Smith Machines. Doing sets of 10-15 should give you very little muscle mass (which I'm assuming you don't want), but it will tone you better. Just my two cents

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

leeyah
leeyah
United Kingdom
2004/09/28, 09:01 AM
Thanks for that aron..ur a star...wats the propa way of doin squats? and hw many reps in 1 set?
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/09/28, 09:27 PM
There are descriptions in the Health Resources section of the website. I would tell you, but I'm afraid that I might leave something out or something, and you can get hurt doing squats doing them with improper form, so just look at the Resources lol.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

leeyah
leeyah
United Kingdom
2004/10/02, 06:24 AM
i just wanted to ask u lot how many calories you burn on the treadmill in one session? and how long does this session last? add any extra details also ...thanks u guys ur the best:love:
natalie4162
natalie4162
Canada
2004/10/02, 12:44 PM
I didn't read all the posts for this thread, so the answer may be in here, but I was wondering bb1fit what is FIIT. When I am crunched for time and still want to hit the gym I will do a session of circuit training. No rest in between sets, or exercises it gets my heart rate up to about 70%. Whats your opinion on doing this kind of routine occasionally????

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

Ok, this is a topic that is constantly brought up, and thought it would be a great sticky. Cardio…is it best before, after, another day, is it right at all? All these are legitimate questions and have to be answered a bit differently for different circumstances.

First off, this is a very general rule to go by, and takes 1st precedence.

Resistance training should always take priority over cardio. Here's why....

The long term gains of increased LBM (lean body mass) and increased secretion of hormones like GH and test far outweigh the calories burnt during a cardio session..

By doing cardio before weights you are simply reducing the amount of glycogen available that could have been used more effectively to fuel your muscles throughout the weight training session...This point cannot be stressed enough.

Here are the top 3 scenarios for doing weights and cardio in order of importance:

#1 - On non-weight training days
#2 - weights in the am and cardio in the pm
#3 - light-cardio after weights

Now, that being said, here are a couple scenarios that are most proposed/asked about by folks, so different protocols need/can be effective. For the person who is lean and wanting to save muscle mass while burning fat, then the above scenarios cannot be altered in any way! You are asking for loss of lean tissue if you do cardio on an empty stomach or any such nonsense. You are already into a catabolic state from the overnight fast, and you are compounding this by doing cardio without fuel. Cortisol will be running rampant, and eating at your lean tissue for fuel. The body is very adept at breaking down amino acids for glucose, and will greedily do so. Cortisol will liberate amino acids to produce glucose (glucose cannot be synthesized from fats) and can lead to muscle loss. I would propose the best scenario here would be to treat your cardio session as you do your resistance training session. Albeit a different PWO formula (protein/fiber/fats will fit the bill here, no impact on insulin, thus keep any lypololysis induced during your cardio session intact)), but still with the same intensity and purpose. You would not dream of working out on an empty stomach, would you? Never work out on an empty stomach. True, you will burn a buttload of calories, but they will be as much lean tissue as fat. Never sacrifice lean tissue (long term results) for a short term fix.

It is also perfectly fine to do a “warm up” session of cardio before your weight training session if you are mid range, not real lean but not lots of fat stores either. But, here you are on that borderline of getting a lean hard body, and building lean tissue should be your number one priority. But make sure this is no more than a warm up, just to get blood flowing. 5 minutes at most should suffice. I personally prefer to warm up with the exercise I am going to do…i.e…weights.

Now, on the other hand, if you have plenty of fat to spare, it can really become a non issue. I believe this is/should be obvious. You can do your cardio even before if you like, or even on an empty stomach, as in this case total calorie burn is your issue and not saving lean mass, for you probably don’t have enough to save or you have as stated plenty of fat stores to give up. Your body will freely give up fat stores in this case, but still, make your weight session your priority as per the long term benefits.

But, no matter what your physique may be at the time, do not center your workout around cardio. Make certain you incorporate resistance training, as this will in the long run be your best friend in the battle of the bulge. Lean tissue is a fat burner 24 hrs. per day, a cardio session ends when you stop doing it. (A little different with HIIT, but this is another whole subject.):big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

=============
molson2
molson2
United States
2004/10/06, 01:39 AM
Just curious which is better treadmill or eliptical. I usually do 40 min of cardio 5 days a week. 30 on one of these machines and the bike for 10 to cool down. Which is better for losing weight, fat, toning, etc. Just some info or input. I already know about the weight lifting so im not asking for advice on that. :big_smile:
JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2004/10/06, 02:52 AM
mix it up do both, they'll both burn fat. Running will burn more calories though i think.
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2004/10/06, 06:22 AM
I find I burn as much on the elliptical as on the treadmill. The main difference is the treadmill is high impact, so it's good for your bone density, but bad if you're injury prone. In reality, as Justin says, do both. The more you can keep your body guessing, the better, and you're less likely to get bored with more variety.
lawdawgnm
lawdawgnm
United States
2004/10/28, 08:02 PM
Does this mean I have to take my new running shoes back?
JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2004/10/29, 03:45 AM
One more thing to add or restate.
CARDIO ON AN EMPTY STOMACH IS NOT GOOD!!!
I see more and more poeple on here saying they wake up an run or do some sort of cardio on an empty stomach because they think they burn more calories. You are actually burning the same if not more amount of muscle as you do fat. Would you lift weights on an empty stomach?
leeyah
leeyah
United Kingdom
2004/11/06, 05:13 AM
wel wats a gud breakfast...im trying to loose weight and im 20 yrs old...coz i always run on an empty stomach....is 1 medium banana enough?
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2004/11/06, 07:24 AM
If you are working out soon after your breakfast a banana would be ok, as long as you eat after your workout too. Otherwise it would be better to have something which releases energy more slowly like oatmeal for example
leeyah
leeyah
United Kingdom
2004/11/07, 07:44 AM
how should water be taken and when? for example i dnt drink to much water whilst exercising a few sips...then wen i finish il hav 500 ml at once...is that bad...coz my belly kinda gets bloated and luks big....ive started 2 sip it straight after wrk outs now but never get thru the whole 500 ml ....what shold i do? drink during th day?
leeyah
leeyah
United Kingdom
2004/11/08, 04:55 AM
when you say oatmeal...is this with milk and sweetner or made with just water and no sweetness?:(
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2004/11/08, 08:25 AM
You could make it with low fat milk. some people add protein powder once their oatmeal has cooled to add sweetness/ flavour. This is good because it gives you protein as well.
Sipping water regularly whilst working out is fine, and if you feel to bloated drinking a lot afterwards, just try to sip more regularly throughout the day.
tamedtiger
tamedtiger
Canada
2005/01/17, 09:36 PM
Hello everyone,
I have a pretty good understanding of the weights-cardio "debate" but I just wanted to double-check, if i want to lose around my tummy, thighs, and butt, weights and no cardio (or very little) is the best way to go, correct? Thanx :)
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/01/18, 06:26 PM
Cardio is a necessary evil. You should do it, helps with the caloric deficit,(can't cut calories forever) but do it if possible on opposite days if you can from resistance training, or at the very least separated by 6-8 hrs.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 3 4 of 4 pages resultset_next resultset_last