Group: All Else Lounge

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 42, Messages: 22740

This is the place you can discuss anything else that is on your mind that isn't already covered by other groups. Share what's on your mind and see who else has something to say about it!

Join group

Been away for a bit

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/06/15, 10:34 PM
Well folks, had an emergency appendectomy. My appendix burst, and spent a few days in the hospital after removal and subsequently being cut open to clean out the poisons. Tons of intravaneous antibiotics. Pain I have never, ever felt in my life. It may have been burst for 2 days or better, as I took this long to get to the doctor after feeling the initial pains. The reason was I though I simply had food poisoning, as we ate breakfast out that morning and my friends wife had the same thing as I did. Just so happened she got sick very quickly. It was about an hour later when we were on the Continental Divide that I started to feel the pains. I immediately associated with her food poisoning, and being 'tough', knew that I could ride them out. Never even dawned on me about appendix. Oh well, being in good shape sure got me through. Operated on on Wednesday, got out of the hospital that Saturday, and Monday was back at work. Luckily I do mainly office work (design engineer), but still had to be out in the field periodically. Much better now, the incision is still sore but getting better daily. Other than that, I feel fine. Been doing alot of light cardio, walking in the park a couple miles a day or so, actually did a few weight machine things today. Felt so good to feel my muscles work a bit again. The doc said I should lift nothing over 20lbs. for 4 weeks, so I did all pushing type movements. Anyway, will be back at full strength very soon. Will probably be off the internet for a bit, as I am heading to Wyoming tomorrow to start a new project up there, and my new laptop will not arrive till Tuesday. Peace to all, I will be back. :)

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2008/06/15, 11:46 PM
Wow... glad to hear it's all alright!

Heal up well!

t

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
2008/06/16, 12:15 AM
That could have been very serious - glad to hear you are doing well - continued luck.
Pensfan
Pensfan
United States
2008/06/16, 12:36 AM
glad everything is ok good luck with getting better soon.
2008/06/16, 03:21 AM
Ron, I'm glad to hear that you didn't let such a small thing didn't keep you down:big_smile: You should have asked me for my Dr Charlie's special appendix routine. Could have spared you some pain.

Seriously, in 1968 we almost lost my mother to a burst appendix and subsequent peritonitis. She was in the hospital for 3 weeks and recovery was about 6. Wow, I'm glad you're still around inspiring us all. That is a wonderful testament to your lifestyle that you so generously share with all of us. Glad you're alive buddy.

--------------

Sometimes life is like herding cats

Charlie
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2008/06/17, 09:03 AM
HOLY SHIZZZIT man! Glad to have you back man that is nothng to play with!

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
Her little ring was a little thing
but it was all that i could afford
now shes mine all mine
till the day i die
and i never wanted nothing more

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/06/16, 08:43 PM
Glad you are doing better. Take care!

--------------
Bettia

Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It is all about timing.
-Stacey Chapman
revoman
revoman
Canada
2008/06/16, 06:43 PM
Good to hear everything is going fine now , stay strong and get better soon .
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/06/16, 05:49 PM
Glad your ok!

I tried to be a badass one time myself after I wrecked my Harley in 94 and snapped my leg in half I told them no I don't want surgery just put a splint on it.

That lasted a good 2 weeks and then I caved in and had the surgery and since then I will never try to bite the bullet again.

On a good note at least you were not doing a heavy lift while it happened.

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2008/06/16, 05:27 PM
Holy crap, Ron! You are one lucky SOB. Glad to hear everything ended up okay. But take care of yourself, and we look forward to seeing ya back at full speed!

--------------
Michael

Strength & Conditioning is not everything; it just really sucks to be weak and slow.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/06/16, 04:37 PM
Sorry to hear what you went through and glad you are okay!

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
georgiagirl
georgiagirl
United States
2008/06/18, 09:10 AM
Glad you are ok and prayers sent for a speedy recovery.

--------------
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.---Helen Keller
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/06/18, 09:19 AM
Wow! That is serious, Ron! Glad you are on the mend! Take care !:love:
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/06/19, 11:20 PM
Thanks folks, recovering nicely. Only thing now is the incision is still a bit sore. Funny how you think of all the 'hard'stuff like climbing steps, etc., but what really hurts is bending over to tie your right shoe! Squishes the incision together, a bit painful.

Get my stitches out tomorrow. Been to the gym a couple times this last week, (I know, the doc said no lifting), so I am doing just some machine stuff, all pushing type stuff and all seems well. Don't overdo it in any way.

Home tonight, heading back up to Wyoming tomorrow, back on 7 (12's). Thanks again folks, nice to hear such good thoughts from you all.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/07/16, 02:36 PM
Well, happy to note that in just 5 short weeks I am dam near back to normal workouts and weights. I was doing 275 reps on the bench before, and Monday did 250 for 4. So, feel 'back in the saddle' almost, somewhat off full strength yet but getting there.

My intensity has also increased to where I am doing the same workout I was prior to the operation. Feels dam good, can not imagine never doing this stuff again. :big_smile:

--------------

rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2008/07/16, 06:51 PM
Glad to hear it, bro. Stay with it!

--------------
Michael

Strength & Conditioning is not everything; it just really sucks to be weak and slow.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/07/16, 10:35 PM
Not too shabby for a 56 yr. old just having surgery! Thanks Mike.

--------------

kimergirl
kimergirl
United States
2008/07/17, 09:25 AM
Wow I am new here and just read this. To think things could have been awhole lot worse. To think a healthy life style help you over this.