Group: All Else Lounge

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 42, Messages: 22740

This is the place you can discuss anything else that is on your mind that isn't already covered by other groups. Share what's on your mind and see who else has something to say about it!

Join group

I think I don't like Christmas anymore..

fsdsk
fsdsk
United States
2007/12/29, 12:21 PM
Something we have tried... I stress tried..... is to really downplay Christmas as far as gifts and really ramp up the gifts on birthdays. If we are supposed to be celebrating Chirst on Christmas maybe we should do so without focusing on the kids, gifts, and spending big $$. If we are celebrating kids and gifts - maybe their birthdays are a more appropriate time to do that.
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2007/12/28, 04:55 PM
Since this is general posts, I had to get this off my chest. Anyone else dread the week following Christmas as much as I do? I don't even want to go home from work, I just want to pack up a sleeping back and camp out in my office. There are toys, and boxes of presents, and decorations, and left overs EVERYWHERE. Now, I know that sounds selfish, and when I stand in my box piled living room with little shreads of wrapping paper everywhere, I try to tell myself how lucky we are to be fortunate enough to have such a nice Christmas. So, dont think I don't appreciate all of the wonderful things that we have. But, oh my god. It's just soooo much! Maybe next year we will celebrate Hanukkah instead. I think that a Minora and the presents drawn over 8 days will be easier to clean up. ha ha.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/12/28, 04:58 PM
It amazes me what people spend on that one day. We cut way back and my kids are just as happy.

Someone pointed out one day as we look back over Christmas' past we tend to remember other things, like turkey, family, friends, fun... not the material things...

That's how I looked at it this year. Was a good one, too.

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2007/12/28, 05:01 PM
I'm with you on that Tim. We did the same thing. Unfortunately the Grandparents were a different story. :)
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/12/28, 05:14 PM
hahahaha... my parents have cut back over the years, too, so I don't feel bad about it.

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2007/12/28, 05:48 PM
Hanukkah is great. We light 3 menorahs in our home for eight nights. Simple, small monetary gifts (usually commemerative coins)and small stufffers,and enjoy the holiday foods.

Happy New year to you.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/12/28, 10:32 PM
Well, I must add that unfortunately Christmas has become little more than a large expense for me. Unfortunately, no matter what you get the 'kids', it is not enough or good enough, there is no pleasing them. I found it much more satisfying to adopt a poor family. :big_smile:

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2007/12/29, 03:54 AM
I go completely out of control for Christmas! I'm spend more and more each year, and I have a bigger blast each year!
Big ass dinner for about 30 family members, gifts, games, tons of decorations....

Love every minute of it!

--------------
Michael

Strength & Conditioning is not everything; it just really sucks to be weak and slow.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2007/12/29, 09:08 AM

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

I found it much more satisfying to adopt a poor family. :big_smile:

=============
Ron, that is really thoughtful of you and Sandy. What goes around, comes around.

My total cost for gifts and coin for Hanukkah this year was $200.00cdn. No bill to come later! We go all out for New years with an eve shin dig, and dinner on the day which high costs more than my gift layout, but the memories are good. And who doesn't like good food!

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2007/12/30, 02:19 PM
Good ideas everyone. As I sit here panting because I FINALLY got the 3 year old's room in order. I had to rearrange the furniture to make room for his new kitchen, and his Cars play tent, and had to put together 3 new Little People garage race track things (all different of couse). And not to go off on another topic, but whoever made the directions to those stupid little toys is crazy. Nothing fit together, I finally threw the screwdriver across the room (the children were not there of course) and said "screw this" (no pun intended). I threw the heap of plastic in a pile and will leave it for Dad to deal with later. Yes, a little childish, I know. I was throwing a mite bit of a tantrum that was probably unfounded and unfair for me to take out on the Little People. Anyway.
BB1, I'm totally with you on the adopting a family bit. We do that every year through the salvation army and try to adopt a family with children the same ages as ours so that our kids can learn to appreciate what they have too.
Happy new year everybody! At least there won't be as much clean up the next day! Just a couple of champagne bottles. hee he.
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2007/12/30, 06:51 PM
I have found that things mellow out as the kids get older. Not to say that it's gotten any cheaper, but less stuff anyway. I'm fortunate enough that my workplace closes between Christmas and New Years, so I have a week to clean up. My tree was out on the snowbank by Dec. 28 and all evidence of Christmas is now officially gone from my house....phew! One of the surprise gifts we gave our family this year was a Wii...what a blast. We all have sore arms from playing tennis.

We've gotten into the habit of donating to charity as gifts for many of our friends...even donated 3 little pigs for our daughter as a gift this year (thru world vision)...along with an XBOX360 of course...little steps...

Happy New Year Everyone!!:big_smile:

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
--------------
The harder you fall, the higher you bounce
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/12/30, 09:03 PM
Amy we have two boys and TONS of stuff. What we do is store un packaged gifts in the closet(they are unwrapped bu no out of box). Then as the next few months come we donate toys they no longer play much with and bring out new toys.

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
Her little ring was a little thing
but it was all that i could afford
now shes mine all mine
till the day i die
and i never wanted nothing more

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2007/12/31, 09:04 AM
Good idea mutt. I do the same type of things with clothes, I have a tote in the bottom of each closet and as they out grow the item I throw it in the tote. When it's full, I take it to charity. I could do the same thing with the toys. Thanks for the suggestion!
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2007/12/31, 12:26 PM
Outside of Halloween, Christmas is my favorite time of YEAR!! I love all of our family getting together, it warms my heart. And I have a HUGE FAMILIA!!! :big_smile:

--------------
Bettia

Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It is all about timing.
-Stacey Chapman