Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

an example routine. (mine)...

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/10/29, 03:30 PM
This is just what I am doing this particular week. Exercises are rotated every 2-4 weeks depending on how I feel about them (adaption) and so various exercises are constantly being substituted for similar movements.

Monday is off.

Tuesday (Lower dominant):
Sumo DL
Jerk
Walking Lunge
A1 Cable row to neck
A2 DB Leg Curl

Wednesday (Upper dominant):
OH Squat
A1 Floor Press
A2 Chest supported cable row
B1 OH Press
B2 Isolateral Leg Curl
C1 Seated calf raise
C2 Standing Cable Crunch

Thursday off

Friday:
Dynamic Effort Box Squat (wide stance)
A1 DB Front Press (unsupported overhead press)
A2 Romanian DL
B1 BB Curl
B2 Shrug
C1 Straight Arm Pulldown
C2 Lateral Raise

Saturday off, occasional technique practice for team

Sunday
Hang Snatch
A1 DB Incline Press
A2 Glute Ham Raise
B1 Weighted Dips
B2 Weighted Chin ups
C1 Incline scapular retractions
C2 Plate pinch chin up (pinching a plate between my legs, no weight belt)

My goals are to have a top 3 finish in the 2006 push/pull national powerlifting meet. Would like to pull 455 and press 275 at the 148lb weight class.

I would not recommend this to anyone other than myself. It if fairly high volume for a total body routine. I do a lot to manage this though.

There is only 1 day per week with heavy spinal loading (Tuesday), and this is watched very quickly. If I notice problems, I cut all forms of spinal loading for a week.

I deload every 3rd-5th week. This means I can go as little as 2 and as many as 4 weeks before I deload. I have been known to push out 5 or 6 weeks, but not in preparation for a meet.

I get around 4500 calories a day (and I am currently cutting). Clean food, relatively low carb, usually around 200 grams.

Tuesday and Wednesday are split between upper dominant and lower dominant because they are adjacent.

Exercise pairings are made carefully. For example, a lot of people question shrugs paired with curls. However, this is very effective, because it prevents pulling with the biceps during shrugs, which is a factor for torn muscles.

Workouts are under 1 hour.

The dynamic effort and olympic work is very non taxing. Makes recovery much easier.

I never go to failure. In the rare event that I do fail, I stop that exercise/pairing, no matter how many sets I have left.

If I am not feeling a workout, I go home. I have been known to leave the gym after a warm up, but this is all based on feel.

My priorities are my hamstrings (if you can't tell that, then...) and overhead work.

The most important thing I can convey through my training, is learning your body. I know what my body can handle, and I know what makes it stronger. I also LISTEN to my body. I know all the signs of overtraining, and if you read this post, you will see that I am very good about avoiding it, and knowing when to call it quits.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/10/29, 03:40 PM
feel free to offer questions and criticisms. It is far from perfect, and not so easy to understand, but... I like it.

Also, I should put that rowing and scapular retraction are kind of weak points for me in relation to my pressing and chining.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
Devinm
Devinm
United States
2006/10/29, 04:13 PM
sounds intense. how long have you been working out for?

--------------
Veni,Vidi,Vici.= I came, I saw, I conquered.- Ceasar
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/10/29, 04:40 PM
I've been training for about 4 years now consistently, studying biomechanics for almost as long. So I would say I have been lifting "properly" for about 2 years now.

As for this particular routine, only 3 weeks. I will probably deload pre-competition and return to this again, only no longer prioritizing deadlifting as much, and focusing on my squat more.

Also, I may cut back to 3 days a week once I add in event training for strongman. Either that, or significantly cut the volume.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/10/29, 07:40 PM
Dam, that is the crappiest workout I have ever seen! :big_smile::dumbbell::big_smile:

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/10/29, 08:59 PM
why cable row to neck?

Is it an upright row....or row as in for the back...?

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

People don't reach thier true potental, only those who seek it.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/10/29, 11:28 PM
Row as in back. Its a row to neck because I need more posterior deltoid and rhomboid work. Like I said, scapular retraction is a weak point. Just a little thing done at the end of the workout. It's not like I'm doing them for max effort or anything. Just another form of retraction.

I plan on replacing them with face pulls next week.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/10/30, 10:45 AM
Ron, I'd be interested in your feedback, whatever it may be.

And if you do think that is the crappiest workout you've ever seen, you haven't been doing this long enough, cause I have seen bad. :-P

--------------
Iron and chalk.
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2006/10/30, 11:09 AM
how the heck do you do a db leg curl... thats new to me.

how effective have the floor presses and straight arm pushdowns been? the straight arm is a lat movement correct?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/10/30, 11:22 AM
Hhmmm...surprised you took me seriously wrestler. Thought the smiley would be a tipoff....just being funny with all the posting that I have read earlier about you criticizing but not actually posting routines. Just thought it was a humourous post.

============
Quoting from wrestler125:

Ron, I'd be interested in your feedback, whatever it may be.

And if you do think that is the crappiest workout you've ever seen, you haven't been doing this long enough, cause I have seen bad. :-P

=============

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
tuin
tuin
Mexico
2006/10/30, 12:18 PM
Intense... :cool:
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/10/30, 12:46 PM
wow...I even got bb1's joke on that one...you must be slippin wrestler...:big_smile:

(note the smiley face...depicts me being humorous and not serious in this post):laugh:
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2006/10/30, 02:12 PM
he is slippin, recommending machines to people now too!
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/10/30, 03:55 PM
you put a db in the arch of both your feet( at the handel) and lay down and curl it...

floore press have helped my bench alot

============
Quoting from coolnatedawg:

how the heck do you do a db leg curl... thats new to me.

how effective have the floor presses and straight arm pushdowns been? the straight arm is a lat movement correct?
=============

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/10/30, 03:58 PM
Not taking you seriously. Just commenting that it'd be interesting to see what you really thought.

I really like the floor presses. We will see how efficient they are when it comes time for my circa-maximal phase (starting this week for dl, next week for bench). For those familiar with westside I am peaking the same way they do a circa-maximal phase, but on a shorter timeline and without band or chain work (too taxing this close to competition).

As for straight arm pulldowns, just something to add in some scapular depression. Originally I was doing abdominal work in their place, but liked this substitution as abdominal work is tough because I have dominant hip flexors that overpower my rectus. I'll let you know what I think after a few weeks, as I just started them.

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

Hhmmm...surprised you took me seriously wrestler. Thought the smiley would be a tipoff....just being funny with all the posting that I have read earlier about you criticizing but not actually posting routines. Just thought it was a humourous post.

=============

--------------
Iron and chalk.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/10/30, 04:01 PM
the db leg curl is just a lying leg curl, with a dumbbell between your legs. Not something I do seriously, but rather just another rotation in my hamstring work. I needed something else to do, and someone recommended them to me. Really stretches your hamstrings out in the bottom position because of the tension in your calves, but its difficult to do with any intensity.

I'm constantly experimenting. And constantly running out of new hamstring moves.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/10/30, 05:19 PM
I like standing hamstring curls

--------------

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/31, 09:07 AM
Have you tried hamstring 'leans' (for lack of a better name...) You kneel on a lat pull down seat (facing away from the stack), ankles under the knee pads, then, using a pole/bar for support you lean as far forward as you can while still being controlled and pull yourself back upright using your hamstrings. The pole is just so you don't get stuck at the bottom. anyhow, we used to do these and I always really felt them in my hamstrings..

--------------

Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit.
Napoleon Hill
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/10/31, 01:43 PM
I do that..but I call them hamstiring free falls...set up is the same...but I hold my myself as long as I can as far down as I can...reapeat 3 or 4 times.
============
Quoting from asimmer:

Have you tried hamstring 'leans' (for lack of a better name...) You kneel on a lat pull down seat (facing away from the stack), ankles under the knee pads, then, using a pole/bar for support you lean as far forward as you can while still being controlled and pull yourself back upright using your hamstrings. The pole is just so you don't get stuck at the bottom. anyhow, we used to do these and I always really felt them in my hamstrings..

=============

--------------

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/10/31, 02:17 PM
andrew and amy, it's essentially a natural glute ham raise. At least, thats what it is commonly known as.
The are under GHR in my workout. I will probably be dropping these as competition time comes closer as they are very tough on the hamstrings.
There's a very strong eccentric component to them.
Thanks for the ideas though guys!

--------------
Iron and chalk.
2006/10/31, 06:04 PM
are you pulling sumo or conventional?(or are you going to open sumo and finish conventional?) if you're pulling conventional are you going to do the exercise closer to the competition to get a feel for it?

What about bench? are you going to rotate it in in a few weeks to work your form and get feel for the weight?

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/10/31, 08:26 PM
I'm pulling conventional as of this morning, but form a rack. Pulling from just below knee, will drop it to the ground in a few weeks.

I'll be pressing of a bench next week (replacing floor press), as well as replacing dips with decline pressing with a barbell this Sunday.

I believe in moving rotating my exercises, but getting more specific to competition lifts as competition time approaches.

Good eye though menace.

--------------
Iron and chalk.