Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Too much, Too Often

Rockjock22
Rockjock22
South Africa
2006/10/11, 06:17 AM
This is not the best routine i know, but i would like to change it towards better gains, especially in chest area.
Overtrainig is an issue as well, one of those die hards that when i miss a day of gym feel like i'v done something wrong, and i know (Muscle grows during REST)

Anyway i'm willing to change to something better.

I Train Monday - Saturday, Sunday Off, run every 2nd day 7km.
Routine:
Monday: In this order as well:
Bench Press(either flat, incline or decline)
Set 4 12reps for warmup
Set 3 8reps Heavy weight
Set 2 6reps Heavy
Set 1 6reps Heavy

Dumbell flyes:
Set 4 8reps Heavy
Set 3 8reps Heavy
Set 2 6reps Heavy
Set 1 6reps Heavy
Back:
25 Pullups - usually done in 3 sets
Lat pulldowns:
Set 3 8reps Heavy
Set 2 6reps Heavy
Set 1 6reps Heavy
Rowing:
Set 3 8reps Heavy weight
Set 2 6reps Heavy
Set 1 6reps Heavy
End off with: Chest
Cable crossovers
Set 3 8reps
Set 2 6reps
Set 1 6reps

Tuesday: In this order as well
Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders
Biceps:
Standing barbell curl: (alwaysincreasingweight) with good form.(not cheating)
Set 5 12reps for warmup
Set 4 8reps Heavy weight
Set 3 6reps Heavy
Set 2 4reps Heavy
Set 1 2-3 With cheating towards the end
Inclibe dumbell curls: (always increasing weight)
Set 4 10reps
Set 3 8reps Heavy weight
Set 2 6reps Heavy
Set 1 4reps Heavy until failure
Triceps Cable Pushdowns:
Set 4 12reps for warmup
Set 3 8reps Heavy
Set 2 4reps Heavy
Set 1 4reps Heavy
Lying Barbell Extensions: (skullcrushers)
Set 4 8reps
Set 3 8reps Heavy
Set 2 6reps Heavy
Set 1 4reps Heavy
Shoulders:
Machine Press:
Set 4 12
Set 3 8reps Heavy
Set 2 6reps Heavy
Set 1 6reps Heavy
Lateral Raise: (rotate between rear and side)
Set 4 12reps light weight
Set 3 8reps Heavy
Set 2 6reps Heavy
Set 1 6reps Heavy

Abs is done everyday, although not as much as i like.
What you guys think?
Overtrainig? Probaly?
Any input on improvement will be appreciated.
Cheers.
2006/10/11, 07:35 AM
LEGS ?????????????????

--------------
Life is a lesson. You will learn it when you are gone.
Rockjock22
Rockjock22
South Africa
2006/10/11, 08:35 AM
If i can get legs in there! I Run often so thats probaly why i leave it out. Not a good excuse i know but im so concerned about upper body at the moment, especially chest.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/11, 08:46 AM
you only train on Monday and tuesday? I am confused.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/11, 08:48 AM
Oh, and why do you run? What is your priority? Running and mass gain are pretty contradictory. Cut back the running and add leg day - leg work will make your entire body grow by boosting your growth hormone output.

--------------

I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor.
-Henry David Thoreau
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/10/11, 08:54 AM
I just have a question....alot of the guys on here..not all,but some...are so concerened about chest and arms...do you guys really think chicken legs are attractive??Not to say you have chicken legs...just saying it seems silly to me to work just the upper body...what would you say about some chick who came in the gym and did only ab exercises...or butt exercises and left???

Any way...I think you need a more well rounded routine...lots of people on here willing to help you do that...if you listen...and don't try and over explain how your workout is fine...and the reason you REALLY posted your workout is because you think everybody is going to tell you what an AWESOME workout you have...then get shocked and defensive when somebody says it stinks.I'm not saying thats what your doing...just hoping you are going to be one of the open minded ones...know what I mean jelly bean??

Good luck to you rockjock....:)
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/10/11, 09:46 AM
If I'm reading this correctly, Mon, Wed, Thurs, Fri & Sat your doing Presses, flyes, pullups, pulldowns, rows and cross-overs, and then on Tuesdays your doing isolated arm work. Although most of your workout are focused on compound exercises, which is good, I definetely think you could be working out much more productively. You definetely need to add in leg work...squats, lunges, leg extentions/curls etc. Running is good for the heart for sure, but it isn't going to give you mass! I think you just need to reformat your routine and add in leg work.

Have a look at the building mass workout here on FT and maybe that'll give you a better idea of how to set up your program.

Good Luck !

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
--------------
The harder you fall, the higher you bounce
jeramiemaza
jeramiemaza
United States
2006/10/11, 10:04 AM
I feel you are going about this the wrong way. Forgive me if you don't agree. I think 3 days of work is enough. Your body has no time to build if you are working 6 days a week. Keep your routine to less than 1 hour. Approximately 45 min. Also make sure you are eating a lot so your work is worth while. I say as of today you should probably Take a full week off, eat real good and start again in 5 to 7 days. Try a program from this site like Fly said. I used to work like you and had poor results, then I switched to a work out that had more rest time and I gained 10lbs. and inches instantly. I heard that each muscle group needs about 72 hours of rest to re-build. Don't quote me on that one though. Listen to the other members of this site. Everyone here will help if you just have an open mind like KC said. Glad to have you here and good luck and don't forget to rest a lot.

--------------
Well I love her
But I love to fish
I spend all day out on this lake
And hell is all I catch
But today she met me at the door
Said I would have to choose
If I hit that fishin hole today
She\\\\'d be packin all her things
And she\\\\'d be gone by noon
Well I\\\\'m gonna miss her
When I get home (Brad Paisly)

Rockjock22
Rockjock22
South Africa
2006/10/11, 10:33 AM
Thanks, i appreciate the input.
My girlfriend enjoys running and so do i, will most likely start running only twice a week.
1 day for legs i think is a must, as you all say.
Was thinking legs in middle of the week, say Wednesday.
Upper body - Monday, Tuesday, Thurdays and Saturdays,Sundays Rest days, and then Friday upper body again.

Thanks for the input.
jeramiemaza
jeramiemaza
United States
2006/10/11, 10:57 AM
I still think you need more rest. Your body wont grow if you don't give it adequate rest.

--------------
Well I love her
But I love to fish
I spend all day out on this lake
And hell is all I catch
But today she met me at the door
Said I would have to choose
If I hit that fishin hole today
She\\\\'d be packin all her things
And she\\\\'d be gone by noon
Well I\\\\'m gonna miss her
When I get home (Brad Paisly)

coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2006/10/11, 04:29 PM
do something like 2 upper body and 2 lower body. or even just 1 lowerbody since you are just gettin in to it. but you definetly need to fix up the exercises. for your tuesday you are doing all your arm isolation work AND then going to your shoulders... at least do it the other way around.
Rockjock22
Rockjock22
South Africa
2006/10/12, 02:41 AM
I usually change the exercises around, 1 day starting with biceps and the next time start with triceps or shoulders.
This routine was actually based around Arnolds book, Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding.

I'll probaly stick with training upper body over Monday, Tuesday.
Start to train legs on Wednesday, rest Thursday, then upper body on Friday and Saturday.
Most off the time i go away from where i live on weekends so Sunday and Saturday i usualy never train.
For my upper body maybe hit the week spots i.e chest on Mondays and Fridays.
What you guys think?
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2006/10/13, 02:13 PM
I wish I had the amount of free time that you obviously have to workout that often.
xxmisterbugyixx
xxmisterbugyixx
United States
2006/10/14, 12:37 PM
so wait.. you work your chest heavy 3 times a weekk. i think working them like that once a week would be overtraining. how do you move during the week dude. i think for the best gains you should cut your days to 4 days and add legs in.