Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 22, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

You were right!

I_Am-aZon
I_Am-aZon
Canada
2003/05/29, 02:02 PM
I was told that once I gained enough muscle, I would burn fat more quickly and be able to eat more without adding more weight. Didn't really believe it. Sounded too good to be true. But...

For the last few weeks I have been binging. Terribly. For whatever reasons I have been craving large amounts of food (the junk style and healthy) and have been terribly hungry. So I went with it. Not really something I would usually indulge, but I gave myself permission. Kind of a "comfort" thing.

Well, I weighed in last night. I have dropped another pound! Can't believe it! Must be a freak of nature. I am certainly glad that I didn't gain any weight, but I don't think I should tempt fate again like that. I am amazed.
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/05/29, 05:47 PM
I think binge is used too often to describe normal behavior. Bingeing is uncontrollable eating of large amounts of food. When we eat a little extra or take a day off our regular nutrition program, I think it should be referred to in a less negative way than 'a binge'. I think that we are too critical of ourselves sometimes. I too, have found that I can eat more as my body composition changes. Congratulations on your progress.

--------------
Think you can or think you can't; either way you're right--Goethe
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/05/29, 06:35 PM
It is a fact, the more lean mass you have, the more calories you can consume. Have you ever noticed anyone that is muscular? They are hungry all the time! Muscle needs nourishment, and in turn fires your metabolic furnace. I would not tempt things with too many wild days though, because no matter what, when maintenance calories are reached and glycogen stores are full, any excess carbs can readily be turned to fat. Eat all the fibrous ones you want basically, will make you feel full and not in any way spill over. Congrats on your success. Keep up the good work!

--------------
As far as genetics go, the skies the limit. You are limited only by your mental perception of it.

Ron
sailor1029
sailor1029
Canada
2003/05/30, 09:04 PM
Fibrous? Can you give me some examples bb1? I find that I'm often not full after eating my alloted meals. If I could eat something as a simple "filler" to fill my stomach up, I'd be a very happy boy indeed.

Thanks

-Scott
Philia2
Philia2
France
2003/05/31, 02:11 AM
But that's the main difference between women and men and why men often can eat a lot more than us without gaining weight, -a question about total bodyfat and lean muscle mass!!!
I'm really not on a diet but I always keep the same weight (as on the pictures <<<). I eat a lot though but it's all a question about metabolism and my dear muscles..... (I really wouldn't want to be skinny and without muscles!!.....)

Fibrous food like most veggies, rye bread, some fruits etc Go to http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl and you'll see the split up of each nutrition.

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/06/01, 05:09 PM
Am, I have noticed the same thing; I keep thinking I'm blowing it and then when I get on the scale I've either gained nada or just put on a few pounds of water weight, I assume from the excess salt when I'm eating more crap than usual. When I go back to eating clean the extra pounds usually disappear within a week. I think effalunt has a good point; I really tend to beat myself up when I think I'm eating too much but it's pretty rare when I really, truly binge. But I regularly go way over the recommended calorie intake for my size and my weight stays pretty stable most of the time.

I think many, many times the recommended calorie intake is low for women anyway - the assumption is we're all trying to lose weight. So many books/websites will recommend a 1200-1400 calorie diet for women. I'm not even five two and if I try to eat 1200 calories a day I am constantly miserable and starving! I don't keep exact track but I bet I can eat 1700 cals a day, maybe more w/out packing on weight and if I'm eating the right foods I figure I need those extra cals to continue getting stronger. That's part of why I like the ft site; even the fat loss diet on here estimates my cal intake at 1495, which is a lot more realistic for me and keeps me much, much happier.

Sorry to go off on a tangent. :) I've also noticed when my PMS hits I just can't get full, eat constantly, eat more carbs and junk but rarely gain any lasting weight. That doesn't always assuage the guilt, though.
I_Am-aZon
I_Am-aZon
Canada
2003/06/03, 01:09 PM
I agree with you Jessica - nice assumption on websites, re: the 1200-1400 calorie/day plan. Not all of us women want to loose any more weight. FT estimates my calorie intake for Lean muscle @ 2409 and Progressive gains @ 2744 calories! I would become emaciated if ate only 1200 per day!

I won't be allowing myself the junk food again anytime soon - I allow myself one day per month, but since I ate cookies too, I don't get junk food (hamburger and fries yumm) until July. I am definitely not going to push my luck on this issue - and I have made myself work out for 3 hours x 3 days/week just to make up for it! LOL
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/06/03, 05:07 PM
Well don't be too hard on yourself; it looks like you're doing great!

I think the 1200 calorie a day plan is a crime. My birthday is coming up next month and I'm getting that &*(&^ ice cream cake! :)
dpking44
dpking44
United States
2003/06/11, 02:56 PM
I second that about the "freak of nature" thing. lol Good job azon, you'll be kicking sand in guys faces on the beach in no time.
DP
I_Am-aZon
I_Am-aZon
Canada
2003/06/13, 12:34 PM
Wow DP's back. It was gettin kind of easy pickin on ole RW all by himself. LOL
I_Am-aZon
I_Am-aZon
Canada
2003/06/13, 02:09 PM
:PPPPPP. I am now RW smartie pants!

How's RB doing? I hadn't heard anything...hope she's ok....
I_Am-aZon
I_Am-aZon
Canada
2003/06/13, 02:22 PM
Poor RB! That really sucks - I was hoping that the news would have been better. I hope all the treatments get her back in the running asap.

I have an idea RW - perhaps you should wait on her hand and foot wearing those polka dot spandex. They say laughter is the best medicine! LOL

But seriously, wish her well for me k? Poor gal :(
I_Am-aZon
I_Am-aZon
Canada
2003/06/13, 02:31 PM
Thanks RW - you guys have a great weekend. "Talk atcha Monday" and I hope things get better real soon :)
dpking44
dpking44
United States
2003/06/13, 04:04 PM
I see you're holding your own RW, atta boy. azon may look tough but, I bet she's a kitten. lol Sorry to hear RW has some medical problems. Please say hi to her and tell her I hope she recovers soon. I've been busy in a new job. Good to see all of you again.
DP
I_Am-aZon
I_Am-aZon
Canada
2003/06/17, 08:29 AM
Kitten?????!!! I guess that makes you two little mice hmmm? Watch out or I'll trip you with my ball of yarn! LOL

Hey RW: How is RB doing this week?
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/06/17, 08:56 AM
YEAH!!1 Let RB we all are praying and hope she is better soon!

--------------
Squats are really a very good thing, but in my world, Deadlifts are King!!!!!!!!
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2003/06/20, 03:38 AM
Hey all! Thanks again for all the concerns and prayers, they have not been unheard. Sorry i haven't been on much, besides paying the docs 20 bucks a shot to see what the heck is up with me, i have been overly busy at work! RW has been taking very good care of me, although, yes I do fight him at times, but it's so damn hard to stay still!!! that just ain't me! Thanks babe for putting up with my stubborness and strong willed character, i know you wouldn't love me any other way. :)

I am going to try to get on here more often even if it is for a few minutes. I need the motivation and positive threads in here, I have been hearing more negatives in my life than i'd cared to and they are about taking their toll on me. Enough whining now. Thanks all for all your concern and thoughts, you are the best. Biggest thanks to the love of my life, RW. You have been most outstanding babe and I love you!

--------------
Bettia.... The secret of getting ahead is getting started.

tarab21
tarab21
United States
2003/06/20, 07:45 AM
good to hear from you RB... get well soon!
I_Am-aZon
I_Am-aZon
Canada
2003/06/23, 01:08 PM
I agree with tarab21 - get well soon!!