Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Women - Go heavy or go home!

jbennett
jbennett
United States
2003/03/09, 09:14 PM
OK. Relax. I'm not yelling at anyone. "Go heavy or go home" is the name of an article I just read in the March 2003 'Muscle & Fitness - Hers' magazine. I usually don't make a habit of reading women's magazines (I usually just look pictures of hot chics!), but I'm always interested in different workout routines for my wife. She bought the magazine and left it on the table so I picked it up and just happened to open to p.66 and read the article indicated above. I HIGHLY recommend it to all of the women on this board. Very good info that I agree 100% with (not that my agreeing with it matters or anything). It describes what happens to women looking to 'just tone' their bodies by working out with super light weights versus women who lift heavy. Read it; great article. Just wanted to pass the info along...

----------------------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
Philia2
Philia2
France
2003/03/10, 01:46 AM
Lol hmmmm I was prepared to curl out my nails when I saw the title!! BUT it's also so true........

We don't have Muscle & Fitness Hers' here I'm afraid but thanks for the tip.

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
Kalanchoe
Kalanchoe
United Kingdom
2003/03/10, 06:35 AM
I get that magazine religiously! It brill.

--------------
*My body only feels good when it burns!
*Little voice telling you to quit? Put your fingers in your ears!
*"Life shrinks or grows in proportion to one's courage"
pambam
pambam
New Zealand
2003/03/10, 08:21 AM
hiya

not sure if it's on the website, but check out
www.muscleandfitnesshers.com

============
Quoting from Philia2:

Lol hmmmm I was prepared to curl out my nails when I saw the title!! BUT it's also so true........

We don't have Muscle & Fitness Hers' here I'm afraid but thanks for the tip.

=============
dpking44
dpking44
United States
2003/03/10, 09:15 AM
phew.. I thought jbennett was going to pay for that one. lol
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2003/03/10, 12:20 PM
I'm married. I'm still learning, but most of the time I know what to say and when to say it without getting my eyes ripped out of my skull. Trust me, I wouldn't offend any ladies on this site (on purpose anyway). Most of them could kick my @$$!!!

The article is a good one though. Check it out.

--------------
--JBennett
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2003/03/10, 12:20 PM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
dpking44
dpking44
United States
2003/03/10, 02:58 PM
I agree, we would get our a$$s kicked. lol
ohnickie
ohnickie
United States
2003/03/10, 03:11 PM
I don't subscribe, but I feel like I gained too much muscle by going heavy. Don't like it. Wish I could get the long, lean, muscular look instead of a more mass. Gonna try pilates.

= (
roni0906
roni0906
United States
2003/03/10, 07:41 PM
JBennett you are so right. This was my mistake for a very long time. I was afraid of getting buling by lifting heavy weights, but you don't. I try and tell women that all the time but it is and old age theory I am afraid. And we like to see results in other people before we try it on ourselves. This web site is what made me decide to go heavy and I just wish others would believe the same.

--------------
Lisa

Just laugh about it....
Philia2
Philia2
France
2003/03/11, 01:54 AM
Hmmm lol did I ever tell you folks that I'm a brilliant a$$ kicker?!!!! (o;

Nah who wants to hurt anybody, we need you after all.......

Thanks Pambam, but the whole article is not on the net..... One needs to buy the magazine to read it! Ah well doesn't matter. Luckily I got you in here to keep me informed!

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
I_Am-aZon
I_Am-aZon
Canada
2003/03/13, 02:38 PM
I agree jbennett. I have the magazine and found that article particularly interesting. Took their advice and bumped up my weights to the point where I could only do around 10 reps per set(I usually did 20 reps of lower weight). What a great feeling! My muscles were totally burnt - totally loved it! Lately, I had been feeling like I had reached a plateau - my definition was there but not improving as to what I would like it to become. Well, I can't yet tell for sure if this will work, but I have great faith that it will - I intend to keep to this routine.

A question: I mentioned this article to another female gymrat and she was concerned that she may get too big - due to the difference in our body types (I tend to be tall,lean, and medium boned while she is shorter with larger bones and more "mass" - she is not overweight by any means, but she does have larger legs etc. Does anyone know for sure what could happen to her if she continued this routine? I would hate to give her the wrong advice, so all I told her to do was to keep to what routine she was already doing and I would ask people on this site if they knew the answer..
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/03/13, 02:45 PM
Some women may indeed bulk a little, but I do not think she will turn into the she hulk, unless she is very gifted. But that is my guess...

--------------
IF YOU CAN STILL ITCH YOUR NOSE AFTER ARM DAY, GO DO ANOTHER SET!!!
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2003/03/15, 02:02 PM
I_Am-azon,
Its all explained in the article. Women do not naturally possess the hormones neccessary to get huge like you're talking about. Some women can get quite large (and intimidating) by lifting heavy, but not with the program outlined in the article. With her bodytype, she may experience different results than you, but nothing too dramatic.

--------------
--JBennett