Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22774

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

TO ALL WHO WANT TO LOOSE FAT

1 2 3 4 of 4 pages resultset_next resultset_last
bouncer3322
bouncer3322
United States
2002/03/26, 09:47 AM
I found out after 2 days, thats right...after 2 days, by doing cardio first thing in the morning will burn 3x as more fat. Trust me...it might be hard to get up and "run" but trust me, if you are comitted like I am, you will do it. In no time..that fat will fly right by!
Arnold
Arnold
Canada
2002/03/26, 12:55 PM
Great point! There is nothing better than doing cardio first thing in the morning before breakfast..

good to hear such good results from the members..

--------------
.o0 Arnold 0o...o0 theaustrianoak@hotmail.com 0o.
jnellie
jnellie
United States
2002/03/26, 08:42 PM

i will try it been meaning to do it
============
Quoting from bouncer3322:

I found out after 2 days, thats right...after 2 days, by doing cardio first thing in the morning will burn 3x as more fat. Trust me...it might be hard to get up and "run" but trust me, if you are comitted like I am, you will do it. In no time..that fat will fly right by!
=============
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/03/27, 01:54 AM
Yep, on with the TV or music and then go ahead.
Oh my cross trainer knows me in the mornings.....
Do 20-60 mins 4-6 times weekly (depends on your goals) and make sure of eating something straight after the work out to minimize catabolism.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
Alorle
Alorle
United States
2002/03/27, 10:01 PM
And, if you wait an hour after your cardio workout to eat, that helps burn fat as well.

--------------
"Do not try. Do. Or do not. There is no try" --Yoda
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/03/28, 02:13 AM
Well yes Alorle, but since most of us are Body Builders we don't want to take that risk of waiting so long after having burnt energy.
Too big a risk of burning muscles (catabolism).

How's your elliptical machine going by the way? Still using it and seeing results?

--------------
Davo_85
Davo_85
Australia
2002/03/28, 04:20 AM
What about if u didnt eat for about 3 hours befor u run and then go for a run ? will u then get just as good results ? Just that its impossible for me to run in the mornin
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/03/28, 06:46 AM
Yes davo you can get good results with this method...the difference in the calories burned is minimal at that point.
I would recommend you have the lighter meal of the day at that time.

--------------
There is no substitute for hard work.........Leslie
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/03/28, 10:23 AM
Also, after doing cardio, wait about an hour before eating.

--------------
**_Robert_**
Alorle
Alorle
United States
2002/03/29, 11:58 AM
Okay, point taken! :) My relationship with Ellie is a love/hate one :). I'm glad I don't have to drive 20 minutes each way to the gym, just for a 20 minute workout, so I love that part, but at the gym there were more things to look at to occupy my mind. At home it gets boring and drags. I'm going to have to invest in a sports CD player!

============
Quoting from Philia2:

Well yes Alorle, but since most of us are Body Builders we don't want to take that risk of waiting so long after having burnt energy.
Too big a risk of burning muscles (catabolism).

How's your elliptical machine going by the way? Still using it and seeing results?

=============

--------------
"Do not try. Do. Or do not. There is no try" --Yoda
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/03/30, 02:16 AM
Ellie? lol it's getting all personal here!!

Yes I must admit that it gets boring once in a while. I'm lucky to have a TV in front of me but of course I never got something interesting to look at the moment I cardio train.
I then just think of anything (else than counting the minutes which seem to last forever!!! I even put my towel on the machine so I cannot see the counter)

But one is soooooo content afterwards!!!! Drinking my tea and eating my oats and feeling happy that another morning cardio has been done. You see, that's what I do right now!!

You'll be sooo proud of yourself this summer......

--------------
Davo_85
Davo_85
Australia
2002/03/30, 02:36 AM
Thanks for the info. But why should I wait an hour after cardio ? Thanks.

============
Quoting from rpacheco:

Also, after doing cardio, wait about an hour before eating.

=============
jnellie
jnellie
United States
2002/03/30, 10:47 AM
I AM GOING TO DO MY CARDIO IT THE AM NOW AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS MAYBE MY BLUBBER WILL GO AWAY FASTER ..........HOW DID YOU FIGURE OUT 3 TIMES FASTER IN ONLY 2 DAYS .......JUST CURIOUS...............
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/03/31, 01:28 AM
Well davo, I think we got different opinions about waiting or not after the cardio.

The fact is that doing an execise on empty stomach first thing in the morning will force the body to use the fat as fuel instead of energy (since you haven't been eating so teoretically no more carbs are left in your body).
This has been a discussed subject as well (if it's true or not) Still lots of people continue doing it and feel fine about it too (like me!).

Now when you stop the exercise your body will continue to need energy to build up the damage you have done to it (the cardio) and that's the reason why waiting for some time before eating. BUT as I said when doing this for too long (the time you did the cardio and the waiting time after) there is a major risk of that the body get tired of digging into the fat and it'll take something a lot easier to burn: muscles!!!! This is what we DON'T want to happen!!!

My advice to you is to do your cardio on empty tummy (and burn all the fat you can) and then get a protein shake after to protect your muscles.
Of course now you can experience yourself.

--------------
Davo_85
Davo_85
Australia
2002/03/31, 02:04 AM
Ok thankyou for clearing that up. very helpful
jnellie
jnellie
United States
2002/03/31, 05:09 PM
i agree i started to do am cardio and have lost an inch in one week ..................
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/04/01, 04:01 PM
Okay, so what about weights though? I started out doing my weights in the morning and that just plain hurt too much. Maybe just because it was the beginning stages of my workout but I couldn't handle having my legs feel like jelly for a whole day. By five o clock I was picking up my legs with my hands and moving them. I was thinking that working out in the morning and then using the muscles all day would work them better though. Thoughts?

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/04/01, 05:24 PM
Most of us work out at our convenience. Personally, I work out after work because I get to work rather early. I'm not willing to get up an extra hour to work out!

Besides, I usually have my 2nd wind by the end of the day and also use weight training as a stress release. If this isn't enough, I'll play tennis afterwards!

There is no general rule as far as when to weight train. However, cardio exercises work best in the AM (before breakfast) as the body tends to use stored fat as the fuel source. Also, wait about an hour after cardio before eating.

Hope this helps...

--------------
**_Robert_**
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/04/01, 06:15 PM
Yep sure does. Thanks for letting me pick your brain all over the board. :) I WISH I still had someone to play tennis with. :(

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.
newuser2004
newuser2004
United States
2004/03/07, 02:59 PM
Which cardio exercise is best to burn more fat. Jnellie , which exercise gives 3x fat burn?
fsdsk
fsdsk
United States
2004/03/07, 03:32 PM
HIIT will burn more faster.

--------------
There is no substitute for hard work
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/03/07, 04:33 PM
Well, if you have plenty of fat to spare, it probably doesn't really matter. But if you are a bit lean, and have worked hard to gain some muscle, do not make the mistake of doing cardio first thing in the morning, as you are already in a catabolic state from the overnight fast, and you are prolonging and worsening its effects doing this.

Never work out on an empty stomach. True, you will burn a buttload of calories, but they will be as much lean tissue as fat. Never sacrifice lean tissue(long term results) for a short term scale view. You will pay in the long run.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/03/08, 08:29 AM
Have a protein shake 15 minutes before and do your am cardio, I didn't seem to lose muscle that way, but I lost a lot of fat!
INTRUDER
INTRUDER
United States
2004/03/08, 11:55 AM
YEP; Believe in it and it will happen.
This is nothing new, but is a point that always has its place.

============

=============

--------------
"Get everthing you want--just make a little change now"
agamble
agamble
United States
2004/03/08, 12:14 PM
asimmer, my protein shake has very few carbs ( 3 or so) but 23 grams of protein. Would that be suitable to consume upon waking up prior to cardio?
dahayz
dahayz
United States
2004/03/08, 03:03 PM
The carbs in most whey protein powders(assuming that is what your talking about) is negligible. Those carbs will be burned off through digestion alone, so have at it.
nutrition4you
nutrition4you
United States
2004/03/08, 04:08 PM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
agamble
agamble
United States
2004/03/08, 05:32 PM
BEHOLD THE POWER OF THE MODERATOR!
treeny
treeny
United Kingdom
2004/03/09, 05:55 AM
Is it the case then that if you are overweight you will always burn fat by doing cardio first thing morning and your existing muscle will remain or is there still a point where us fattys start losing muscle.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/03/09, 01:51 PM
You lose muscle when you exercise too hard or too much, without supporting it nutritionally.

Exercising first thing in the morning has been shown to burn more calories the rest of the day in some studies, but other studies have contradicted those findings.
Many people have had success losing fat by doing cardio first thing in the morning - it does raise your metabolism first thing, and I think it becomes a habit easier when it is the first thing you do. When you wait until later to do your cardio it is easier to let things take priority over it and end up not doing it.
If it feels good and it seems to work for you, do it! It is a great way to start your day - thinkof how much you have accomplished, first thing in the morning you have already done more exercise than 60% of the population will do in their lifetime.
If you wake up hungry - as i do - have a small, light protein based meal - i found that convenience-wise a lowor no-carb protein shake was quick and i could drink it while i got my workout clothes on and go.

If you are a bodybuilder, concerned with losing muscle, take bbfit's advice - you could lose some mass.

If you find that you are tired all day after adding am cardio - it could be it just isn't for you. We all have the same basic components, but it is amazing how differently our bodies rspond to different routines.

remember to eat a good, balanced meal after your am cardio - get some glycogen into your muscles and give your body the protein it needs to prevent catabolism.

No matter what time of day you do cardio, you are burning calories, boosting your metabolism and helping prevent life-style related diseases while strengthening your heart and lungs - not a bad deal at any time of day!

And the intensity at which you do your cardio isn't as paramount as we used to think - yes, at lower-to-moderate intensity you tap more into bodyfat, but at higher or interval iuntensity you burn more total calories, which a percentage comes from fat, so either way you are doing good work.

remember not to overdo it and fatigue your heart!!! You will get better results if you increase your fitness level at a reasonable pace than if you wear yourslf out.

Good luck!

--------------
"To be able to go to the gym and train hard is a joy and a privelege, even though the hard work necessitates driving yourself through considerable discomfort. Savor this privelege and blessing, and revel in it."
Stuart McRobert, Beyond Brawn
xpurex
xpurex
United States
2004/03/11, 09:11 PM
I am looking to tone up and lose about 20-25 lbs...I have been doing light cardio at night about an hour after i eat dinner. Should I start doing my cardio in the morning and weights at night?

and....should i eat some protein before I go? Or after?
:: so confused::

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/03/11, 09:30 PM
If you are looking to tone up, make weight training your priority. Do not do cardio at the expense of weight training. I would always suggest doing your weight training first while glycogen stores are full and you thus will have more energy to lift heavier and harder. Building lean tissue is your best friend in the battle of the bulge. Do your cardio secondary. I would do your cardio in the evening. As far as what or when to eat before exercising, any kind of exercise, if you have to eat and go directly to the gym, then a shake(liquid type meal) is in order. If on the other hand, you have an hour to hour and a half or so before training, then a good complex carb source like oats and some protein will be great.

If you want to do cardio first thing in the morning, this is fine, but still don't do it immediately upon waking without any fuel. You are asking for disaster. Always have some protein at the very least before any physical endeavor.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/03/11, 10:04 PM
Also, if I may elaborate a bit on my position of why I believe weight training first is best as per my post above. The media and "fitness gurus" for years emphasized for women cardio as an exercise over weights due to the stigma that women didn't want to get muscular and bulky! So, weights were disdained by women. But one thing was lacking, women do not have the testosterone of men, and will never ever get big and bulky, heck, even guys have a hard time doing this and they try! But, quite the opposite is true. By doing resistance training, you are building a fat burning machine that will burn fat 24 hrs. per day, 7 days per week as compared to cardio only, which even with HIIT at best is the raising of baseline metabolism for the day only. Placing your emphasis first and foremost on heavy hard resistance training, you will get farther than by making cardio your first priority. Look at any woman who is lean and tight and ask them how they got that way, not through cardio!! Look at long distance runners, a perfect example, are they lean and tight? No, they may be a bit lean, but they also have no muscle tone, and if they stop running, they will put on weight quickly because they have no muscle to burn calories.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
agamble
agamble
United States
2004/03/11, 10:44 PM
Thanks Amy, Ron. That is the best discussion I've read relating to this question. Excellent points to ponder. I have started running in the AM. I awake at 5 and I'm out the door at 5:45. Breakfast at 6:45. I'll have my shake when I wake up. Thanks again.
froshman
froshman
United States
2004/03/11, 11:00 PM
I need help with this cuz everything seems contradictory to me. Here is my situation: I'm about 6'1" and about 190. I'm thin with some excess flab around my lower abs. I want to display the 6 pack, so I've been doing ab work and cardio in the morning before i eat, alternating between HIIT and steady paced cardio. I usually do it about 4 times a week. I also cut carbs down to oatmeal and fruits. I've been up to it for like 2 months and haven't seen much progress. I recently read that you should wait between 50 and 60 minutes after doing cardio before eating breakfast so that your body can burn fat. I was gonna start this tomorrow, but now I'm not sure if I should. I do lift weights, but am a hardgainer so I don't have much muscle mass. However, i don't want to lose what muscle i have gained. This is my conflict. I only have about 2 inches of fat to burn off, s after 2 months, it seems to me that I should have accomplished this by now. I've been thinking about taking Ripped Abs Fuel by Twinlabs or Stacker 2 or something along those lines to expedite the process, but i don't know if its safe or even worth the money. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!! What should I do???
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/03/12, 10:35 AM
You may actually not be eating enough. Look to your diet. If you have cut calories to the bone, your metabolism will slow in down, and in response thyroid output will slow. This is all counterproductive to fat burning, as it will actually cease. Then if you do what you what you are doing, working out before eating, you are actually burning muscle rather than fat. The body is programmed from the very early days for survival, not for looking good at the beach. It will actually learn to store fat in anticipation, kind of like the dark ages when being chased for hours by predators or running through endless jungles. I know it sounds hard to think you have to eat more to lose, but in many cases this is the fact. The body is an intricate machine, and will survive as best it knows how, and this is holding on to fat stores, not muscle. So, investigate your diet.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
shene107
shene107
United States
2004/03/16, 02:00 PM
I'm confused about something.I am trying to lose weight and get some tone and muscle definition too. i heard that doing about 20 mins of cardio before weight training is a good thing, because its gets your metabolic rate up. Then i hear that you shouldn't do it, because you won't be able to lift as much. I'm confused:(
agamble
agamble
United States
2004/03/16, 05:49 PM
Your primary means of losing fat in the long term is to have your metabolism raised continually. To do this you need to add lean muscle tissue. This is accomplished through weight training and is most efficient when performed at a high intensity. Doing cardio first takes away from this intensity as well as robbing you of valuable nutrients that you need while working out.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/03/16, 07:06 PM
Resistance training should always takes priority over cardio. Here's why....

The long term gains of increased LBM and increased secretion of hormones like GH and test far outway the calories burned during a cardio session..

by doing cardio before weights you are simply reducing the amount of glycogen avialable that could have been used more effectively to fuel your muscles throught the weight training session...:):):)this point cannot be stressed enough.:angry:

Top 3 scenarios for doing weights and cardio in order of importance:

#1 - On non-weight training days
#2 - weights in the am and cardio in the pm
#3 - light-cardio after weights

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/03/27, 09:39 AM
bump
Daniel199
Daniel199
United States
2004/03/28, 10:24 PM
Ok, I am also going to start my cardio in the morning with some walking to build up to running 3 times a week. I have a decent amount of fat to lose but should I still take the whey protien in the morning to preserve any muscle I have gained so far?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/04/23, 10:00 AM
bump, and yes, daniel199, take a protein shake while you get dressed for your walk :big_smile:

--------------
If you fall down seven times, get up eight.
gofigerr
gofigerr
United States
2004/04/23, 12:13 PM
hi- im new here- I have had the hardest time loosing the fat on my stomache, im confused on what to eat, when to eat, Im 5'4" 110 lbs and 14.9% body fat- with almost all of it on my gut!, ive been told not to do too much cardio, that i actually need to lift more weights, but i just dont know where to start, i know absolutly nothing about lifting weights. Im 35 and id really like to get my body back to where it was when i was 25, im pretty sure its still possible for me to look like i did, i just dont know how to get it,
AzNsTaR101
AzNsTaR101
United States
2004/04/27, 11:56 AM
I was wondering if this would work.. On mondays, wednesdays, fridays, i usually go to the gym about 8 am to lift weights. Since i'm a college student, i can not spare any other time of the day. Before I go, I usually eat a small bowl of bran cereal so I get the carbs i need while working out. Now after I'm done lifting, I usually do cardio for 30 minutes. And on my off days, I usually take a 30 minute walk in the mornings before I eat anything. I was wondering if this was a good method or not?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/04/29, 06:24 PM
You still need protein upon waking.

gofigerr - you need to eat a clean diet of lean protein and lots of green vegetables, oatmeal, brown rice. Do cardio - HIIT every other day and lift heavy enough weight to fatigue at 12 reps.

--------------
livers20
livers20
United States
2004/05/14, 11:39 AM
Hey there. I am new to the sight and read this yesterday about doing cardio in the morning. I tried it this morning and when I got done I felt like I was going to be sick and I couldn't breathe as well(probably due to the moisture in the air). I did not eat anything before running is this a possible reason for feeling sick after cardio? Thanks!!
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2004/05/14, 02:09 PM
yes
david_s81
david_s81
United States
2004/05/14, 07:29 PM
Yes, BB1fit posted a Topic about cardio that has a sticky. You should check it out. It has details for everybody. You gotta eat.

--------------
In order to live, you must be willing to die.
mivida1
mivida1
United States
2004/05/17, 01:33 PM

============

okay exaclty what type of workout did u do help i am 26 and weigh 260 i need help!!!!!!!!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/05/17, 03:24 PM
I am making this a sticky because it has such a good discussion.

--------------
1 2 3 4 of 4 pages resultset_next resultset_last