Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

The little things...

Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/03/09, 01:54 PM
So...?

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/03/08, 11:20 PM
I'm posting this in the advanced section, since most people overestimate their training (few if any of the individuals on this site are "advanced") and these individuals tend to focus too much on little things.

I've said this a lot, but never as elegantly as this:

=====================
Lately I've been receiving lots of emails and questions about very minor aspects of training and dieting - things such as whether people should avoid diet sodas for their supposed potential to elicit an insulin response, or avoiding sugar free products for similar reasons.

In the grand scheme of it all, these things don't matter. In a sport where most people don't even do the major things that improve performance, worrying about minor things like this just overcomplicates everything and provides no benefit to your own progress.

Should we write an article about aspirin's ability to displace tryptophan from binding proteins, thereby freeing up more tryptophan for serotonin synthesis? Of course, increases in serotonin have been shown to cause rats to reduce their selection of carbohydrates without affecting their selection of proteins. This is true, and a reduced desire to ingest carbohydrates would be good when trying to lose weight. But, one slip-up on the diet is going to cause an effect ten times greater than what this minor effect could create.

Here's a little information about aspartame. Aspartame is a dipeptide that liberates its phenylalanine when digested, AND phenylalanine can be converted to tyrosine through phenylalanine hydroxylase, AND tyrosine is a precursor for nor-epinephrine and epinephrine, which most stimulant fat burners are based on....

BUT, we must also remember that elevated levels of circulating L-tyrosine can be shown to actually DECREASE levels of nor-epinephrine in plasma, likely because of the central increase in catacholamine levels produced from that same tyrosine - because increased central adrenergic activity has its action by decreasing peripheral sympathetic tone.

BUT, lest we forget, elevated circulating tyrosine levels have arousal effects compatible with the general arousal properties of catecholamine, WHEN catecholamine systems are first activated.

So, IF you've already achieved sympathetic nervous system to a sufficient amount, AND you ingest aspartame, you will get an increase in nor-epinephrine, which is likely to increase fat burning. Just make sure you didn't have an increase in parasympathetic tone before the ingestion of the aspartame.

Of course, you could always trust aspirin's competitive binding properties to raise serotonin levels, thereby decreasing your appetite for carbohydrates. But, don't forget that injection of serotonin into the hippocampus of rats can cause lethargy, resulting in reduced activity and reactivity - not good when dieting.

What this all means is...IT DOESN'T MATTER.

ONE piece of cheesecake, ONE slip-up on the diet, ONE skipped session of cardio, ONE lackluster weight training session, ONE incredibly stressful day, or any other thing that people don't seem to worry about is going to cause a MUCH greater negative impact on your progress than any potential for sub-physiologic insulin secretion from diet sodas.

Keep that in mind."
=====================

From Justin Harris, founder of troponin nutrition.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
2008/03/09, 02:29 PM
Eat clean, rest properly, pick it up, put it down?

--------------
Aboard the MV The Shop

Charlie
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/03/09, 02:54 PM
(few if any of the individuals on this site are "advanced")

When and what made you decide this Steve? And If I may ask, who are you to judge any of the members here?

How about writing your own posts??

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/03/09, 03:17 PM
Advanced would normally mean highly developed. This would bring one to a high level in most sports, whether it be bodybuilding, powerlifting, or any other sport. Outside of Matt Delaney who is a powerlifter that has totaled elite in 2 weight classes (posts as gatormade) I can't think of anyone else that fits this definition. If you think you are highly developed enough that you really need to worry about little stuff like this, then I apologize for stepping on your elite toes.

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/03/09, 03:17 PM
Exactly.

============
Quoting from charlie826:

Eat clean, rest properly, pick it up, put it down?

=============

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/03/09, 03:18 PM
============
Quoting from carivan:

How about writing your own posts??
=============

============
Quoting from wrestler125:

I've said this a lot, but never as elegantly as this:
=============

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/03/09, 03:24 PM
You did not " step on my elite toes" but to think you can judge all the members here on Freetrainers is pretty good. I must say, you are the expert!

--------------

Ivan

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/03/09, 03:27 PM
Ivan, I don't think you actually disagree with me here. While I can see that you may have a problem with the way I word things, how many times have you read something on here by someone that is just starting out and thought "stick to the basics"?

The basics will be responsible for 95% of the gains seen by 99% of the members of this board.

Most people think they are more advanced than they are and that they can focus on "the little things" when the truth is they should still be focusing on the basics.

Ronnie Coleman still deadlifts, benches, and squats. He doesn't use an "advanced routine", he just does it with a lot more weight.

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/03/09, 03:30 PM
This is largely a site geared to people that are just starting out and wanting to learn more. It is not a message board for elite level powerlifters are bodybuilders that just got their pro card. It is a place for the people that this applies to. I'm not judging anyone in particular, but this is, if I'm not mistaken, a board that for the most part caters towards people that should fall into the beginner category.

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/03/09, 03:37 PM
All I am saying is, do not make statements that can be condescending to others. Think of the "not so advanced person" like myself who might read it.

--------------

Ivan

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/03/09, 03:41 PM
Understandable.

For those that think I'm attempting to talk down on others, understand that I also do not consider myself to be "advanced" or even close. Yet.

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
2008/03/09, 04:34 PM
A little less verbosity would help me to read up to your level. :big_smile: Say it don't paste it.

--------------
Aboard the MV The Shop no longer
Sometimes life is like herding cats

Charlie
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/03/09, 09:24 PM
A little less bullshit would also work.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

2008/03/09, 09:28 PM
Can we say bullshit here?

--------------
Aboard the MV The Shop no longer
Sometimes life is like herding cats

Charlie
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/03/09, 09:42 PM
Is it in Wikepedia?

--------------

Ivan

corless319
corless319
United States
2008/03/10, 12:16 PM
wow i love the conversation guys... awesome... now that my elite self needs some information....haha jk... Who is really at that level less than 1% of the total weight training pupulation? haha didn't offend me its cool.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/03/10, 01:56 PM
I like how Alwyn Cosgrove put it - basically everyone asks about supplements, when most people can't even commit to brushing their teeth regularily. So when people ask him what they should do he tells them to floss.

I see the point - so many people are worried about the minor details when they haven't even been lifting for 6 months yet and they don't even have good squat form, yet they want to know the best mass builders, the best fat-burners, etc.

As for the arguement..I choose to stay out of it :)

--------------
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they\'re yours.
Richard Bach

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/03/10, 04:10 PM
I don't really see it as an arguement. Ivan was right, but I didn't mean to offend anyone. The point still remains though.

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
corless319
corless319
United States
2008/03/11, 10:15 AM
Hey I enjoyed it for a short time haha
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/03/28, 08:05 AM
Ummm? Did I say something about you?

============
Anyway it doesn't matter anyway because as much as people try to make fitness a group sport it really comes down to one person. ME! So I could care less what you have to say about me or anyone else. Just trying to throw my bullshit against the wall and see what sticks.
=============

--------------
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they\'re yours.
Richard Bach

georgiagirl
georgiagirl
United States
2008/03/28, 01:09 PM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/03/28, 04:24 PM
"Just trying to throw my bullshit against the wall and see what sticks"

I guess nothing stuck, and if you make another dumb post about nothing, I'll delete you, and the posts.

Thanks
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/04/02, 12:42 PM
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/04/03, 01:21 PM
As you will find out that after the age of 30, our muscle seems to decrease by about 8% per decade. There for slowing down our abilities to burn calories and store fat (kind of that beer belly look). That being said, take it for what it's worth, and hope when you are in your 50"s you are still training regularly and as hard as you are now if you are.
I think "100lbs of muscle stacked on anybody" would look kind of funny!
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2008/04/03, 07:47 PM
LOL what a load of crap!

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
Her little ring was a little thing
but it was all that i could afford
now shes mine all mine
till the day i die
and i never wanted nothing more

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
Sam295
Sam295
Canada
2008/04/07, 09:07 AM
Sam295
Sam295
Canada
2008/04/08, 11:11 AM

============
Quoting from wrestler125:

This is largely a site geared to people that are just starting out and wanting to learn more. It is not a message board for elite level powerlifters are bodybuilders that just got their pro card. It is a place for the people that this applies to. I'm not judging anyone in particular, but this is, if I'm not mistaken, a board that for the most part caters towards people that should fall into the beginner category.

=============
I guess it's all a matter of perspective.
Or is it?
There is a huge difference between advanced, elite and professional.
Writing 6 paragraphs of information that displays your intelligence fo overall physical conditioning and nutrition and than calling others beginners is offensive!
I think people who dedicate most there decision making for most every day based on there personal physical goals are very advanced in training.
The fact that you have spent 6 or so years studying and are at the level physically you are at and call yourself not "advanced" is ...QUESTIONABLE.
It reminds me of when I was younger and we had one really strong friend. He said " you guys act as if I am some god, I'm really only average. You guys are just well below average"!.
He never thought that was offensive.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/04/08, 02:13 PM
Advanced/elite/professional? The words can basically be meaningless when you look at the big picture. In all professions, no matter what you know or do or how good you think you are at it, there is someone more 'advanced' than you.

If you are around a bunch of morons for instance, you look advanced. Let a seasoned vet in your profession come in, and all of a sudden you don't look so advanced anymore. Very relative term to say the least.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

Sam295
Sam295
Canada
2008/04/08, 02:33 PM

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

Advanced/elite/professional? The words can basically be meaningless when you look at the big picture. In all professions, no matter what you know or do or how good you think you are at it, there is someone more 'advanced' than you.

If you are around a bunch of morons for instance, you look advanced. Let a seasoned vet in your profession come in, and all of a sudden you don't look so advanced anymore. Very relative term to say the least.

=============

I think I was trying to say something along those lines.

P.S. I like your signature. I think it is even funnier when you consider those 3 out of 10 tries do not factor in there are 3 strikes in each try...not including fowls.