Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Plateau Breakers II

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/08/20, 12:01 AM
Thanks goes to asimmer for inspiration for this thread.

Everyone hits a plateau sometime. One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Therefor, the theme for this thread will be variety!

I feel that one of the easiest ways to overcome a plateau is by manipulating your rep range for your work sets.
If you've been stuck in a rut doing 3 sets of 10 every day, change it up. 10-8-6 only works for so long. Try some 5*5, or 5-3-1, or even doing what the russians called Prikida, working up to a weight for a max single. If you've been doing low reps, a day of lower weight for some repetitions won't kill you.

--------------

The best feeling in the world is the feeling you get after a tough set of squats after you step back from the power rack and throw up all over the floor.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/08/20, 12:04 AM
Pavel Tsatsouline says that one of the most effective things one can do to break through a plateau, is to do their routine... Backwards. If you always do a couple sets of bench and then follow it with some weighted pullups, try doing the pullups first. It will work different muscles more than others, since you are prioritizing your workout different. Also, you may get some added gains from the pre-exhaustion that comes from doing accessory work first.

--------------

The best feeling in the world is the feeling you get after a tough set of squats after you step back from the power rack and throw up all over the floor.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/08/20, 12:10 AM
Change your max effort exercise. Go to the strength building forum, and look at the top. Theres stickies of all the different types of deadlifts, squats, bench presses, adn good morning VARIATIONS used by people that follow a westside routine (my self included, though slightly modified to suit my needs as a combat athlete). The lifters at westside never do the same lift 2 weeks in a row, and advise that, depending on your experiance level, your main lift, also known as max effort exercise, be changed every one to three weeks. Some may find it hard to believe, but I haven't done regular bench press in almost 2 months, and I am confident that when I do go back to pressing, I will have set a new PR.

--------------

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/08/20, 12:18 AM
I know the normal accepted workout is a split. However, total body training does have its places. One of those places if for breaking through plateaus. Working out on a 3X per week total body plan allows you to hit the same muscles with greater frequency, which can often be helpful in getting through a period of stagnating returns.

--------------
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/08/20, 12:24 AM
Going along with frequency, if you are stale in one particular muscle group, extra workouts can be just what your muscles need. For example, if you are having trouble bring up your triceps, a high rep set of band pushdowns can be great for getting the blood back into your arms, which will help your muscles get the necessary nutrients for growth.

Whats your best plateau breaking tip?

--------------
irondog
irondog
United States
2005/08/20, 12:55 PM
take 10 days off from training.to allow your body to rest.

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/08/20, 03:58 PM
along with that, is every 4 weeks or so, cut the volume in half to allow your body to rest. This goes by many names, deloading, peaking, circa maximal phase, supercompensation.

--------------
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/08/20, 06:20 PM
This has come up alot recently, so I just thought of it. Switching from machines to free weights and vice versa can sometimes give your body the added stimulus for strength and hypertrophy gains.

I think that anyone that is having problems with making gains, and that is defianetly a frequently asked question, should refer to one of these posts and try one of the methods posted above.

--------------
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2005/08/21, 10:44 AM
Nice post, wrestler!

--------------

Nurture your mind with great thoughts, for you will never go any higher than you think.

Benjamin Disraeli

There is no use whatever trying to help people who do not help themselves. You cannot push anyone up a ladder unless he be willing to climb himself.
Andrew Carnegie
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/08/21, 04:44 PM
Thanks asimmer. Your diet plateau thread was what started it...
2 more...

1. Keep a log. Recording your max, or weight, or taking pictures, depending on your goals, can be just the inspiration you need to accomplish what you never thought possible. Charles Poliquin, a man that has forgotten more about strength training than most strength coaches will ever know, cites a study with factory workers, in which 300 factory workers were told their production numbers, along with a control group of 300, which were just told to increase production. The group that knew their numbers automatically started beating this number, on a consistent basis. The natural human instinct to be better is in all of us. so know your number, and then beat it.

2. Change your form I usually bench with a powerlifting style form. However, every know and then, if I am stagnant, I will switch to regular bench press form, back flat against the bench. It works your muscles differently, and forces your body to adapt. Some changes you could make
Squat stance, wide/close
squat bar height, powerlifting/olymic, high/low
Deadlift, sumo/conventional
Front squat, olympic/bodybuilding
Pull ups/chin ups
bench grip, wide/conventional/close
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/08/31, 01:40 PM
One more. This is more for the athletes and powerlifters out there, but could be very effective for bodybuilders and regular people as well.
The addition of chains or bands as a form of accomidating resistance is an excellent way to build mass and strength. However, before you do start attaching the jump stretch bands and some BFS or EFS chains to the barbell, be sure to do the research on chains, bands, as well as other forms of accomidating resistance. Two great sites are EliteFTS.com, as well as westside-barbell.com, home to the strongest lifters in the world. Also, the jump stretch site and BNS site have some excellent research showing the effectiveness of band training. Just try not to overdo it. I cycle bands in on a 3 week on, 3 week chains, 3 weeks straight weight cycle. The bands can be EXTREMELY taxing on your body, so beware of overtraining.

--------------
Your two most important minerals: Iron and Chalk.

If you smoke or don’t wear your seatbelt, please don’t tell me the deadlift is dangerous.
danrnavy
danrnavy
United States
2005/10/01, 03:45 PM
yea man I go to the gym and workout/!!!
Run 5 min on treadmill to warmup then hit the weights. I feel like im at a plauter. know what i mean? :angry::dumbbell:
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/10/13, 01:38 PM
============
Quoting from bb1fit:

I must inject here that "controlled cheating" has its place. That is if you simply use perfect form each and every time(which for the most part you should), you may not have the ability to advance past a certain plateau, whatever that may be for you. What I mean is perfect reps will at some point stall you there...so "cheat" reps have their place here. Your muscles have to be subjected to heavier loads to overload for growth. If not, they have no reason to grow. So, "controlled" cheating is a factor you can use. If you do not do this periodically, there is a good chance you will stall out strength and hypertrophy wise.

=============

A post by BB1Fit, one of our respected moderators that I thought had great relevance to this thread.

--------------
Your two most important minerals: Iron and Chalk.

If you smoke or don’t wear your seatbelt, please don’t tell me the deadlift is dangerous.
2005/11/03, 07:41 AM
I love these posts. Nice thoughts on your experiences. I'll keep those in mind. Thanks all.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/11/03, 07:17 PM
Identify your weak point. If you at lockout for bench, then do close grip bench. If your lower body development isn't up to par with your biceps, do you think your arms are going to grow???? Identify your weakness, and correct it.

I am currently doing wide grip bench press and cambered bench press to help with my explosion off my chest. Once I start squatting again (broken foot) I will be doing extra posterior chain work to bring up my parallel squat and deadlift...

--------------
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. ~~~Hunter S. Thompson

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/12/23, 06:22 PM
Change your style.
Most bodybuilders could seriously benefit from greater strength. Think about it. I have said it before, and will continue to say it... What will cause pectoral hypertrophy better??? Bench pressing 135 for 8 reps, or bench pressing 225lbs for 8 reps? Simple, right?
Also, while bodybuilders will benefit more from a powerlifting stint than vice versa, many powerlifters (myself included) are grossly overtrained on high intensity, low rep sets. Since doing more RE work, I have broken through a serious squat plateau. Also, higher rep sets are good for tissue health and prehab.
I also feel that many powerlifters could benefit from doing a few olympic lifts. The powerclean can be used as a DE deadlift, and the dynamic speed-strength built will help any powerlifter out of the hole.
Interested? Search for the two articles "powerlifting for bodybuilders" and "bodybuilding for powerlifters". They came out a while ago, so I'm not sure who they are by.

--------------
Pain is only temporary, it is in your mind. If you can still walk, then you can still run.

============
Quoting from 7707mutt:
The squat cage is holy ground.
============
sveivers
sveivers
Australia
2006/01/31, 09:42 PM
Great post. I love it. I'm at a plateau and looking for something to push me past it. Just the inspiration and ideas I needed. Now I just need to get off my butt and do it.
jeon
jeon
United States
2006/08/22, 09:36 AM
I posted that last one
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/08/22, 10:31 AM
There is a lot there that is misguided

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!
The Men and Boys are Separated by one thing: The Squat Cage!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/08/22, 10:44 AM
So elaborate....what is misguided...inquiring minds want to know!:)
jeon
jeon
United States
2006/08/22, 10:47 AM
Okay, tell me? I might have not gotten to the point. I always stray. What was misguiding?
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/08/22, 11:12 AM
oh muuuutt...yoohoo....
jeon
jeon
United States
2006/08/22, 11:12 AM
I'm still waiting too....
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/08/22, 11:16 AM
I think he may have actually had to do his job today!!!:(

You know I love ya mutt...gotta keep you on your toes!
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/08/22, 11:19 AM
Hey jeon....what's with the profile?????I can't take advice from somebody who has "null" for a profile.
jeon
jeon
United States
2006/08/22, 11:20 AM
So tell me what you think Mrs. Elite Status.
jeon
jeon
United States
2006/08/22, 11:23 AM
I don't Know I tried to put my info in it but it just keeps on disappearing. Can you help me?
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/08/22, 11:24 AM
Shoot I posted something and it did not go thru
Ok basically your rep scheme is off at least for me, Why not go lower than 8 reps? I mean this is about breaking a plateau right? Also do you use decsending sets all the time? Most people can not do them like that and see gains. They are used more for a break or shock. also I have seen a 51yr old man who weighed 131 bench 305. I have also seen men weigh 220 bench 400+. Weight really has little to do with powerlifting until you hit the super heavy weight level. All I am saying is that I would not use your routine at all and would not advise most people not to use it as well. I think it works well for you and that is cool.

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!

KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/08/22, 11:55 AM
I'm just starting to dabble in free weights,so I honestly don't know.

Mutt just cracks me up with his blunt yes or no answers to peoples questions...so I like to keep him hopping...having to explain himself a little more.Just want him to share the wealth so to speak.As far as getting your profile to post...are you taking to long and timing out???I still can't get my pictures to post so you're asking the wrong person.I'm only in elite status because I stalk Mutt all day to make sure he is behaving himself!:)

So basically I am useless...every now and again I say something useful...not to often though!
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/08/22, 12:07 PM
Yeah you make me laugh.

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/08/22, 12:59 PM
I am not sure if Phil has site he was competeing in bench only lifts that was 8 years ago, Also what does it matter what I weigh and how tall I am? But anyway I am 308 and I am 6 ft 1inch
SO becasuse you have no spotter you use descendng sets, that is ok, but why off that to someone looking to break a plateau? I mean it can work, but you make it seem like this is the BEst way.....and no offense but I donot really care about certifications LOL not saying you do not know what you are doing just that paper means little in this area as a Bally's "trainer" is certified and knows nothing.

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!

jeon
jeon
United States
2006/08/22, 01:01 PM
sorry about spamming those last two. I think I see what your saying and I have had just a few responses from him. If what I type seems alittle vague to you guy's sorry. I don't get to speak much English here in Korea. But thanks for your responses.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/08/22, 01:02 PM
No problem

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!

KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/08/22, 01:04 PM
jeon...you have a serious problem with the nulls!!!:)

Now be nice Mutt...I'm sure you could take this and run.Play nice with others.

And I'm curious....what would Mutts height and weight have to do with anything?
jeon
jeon
United States
2006/08/22, 01:08 PM
I got to go to sleep now but I earned my certification with my sweat and pain. And nobody can take that away. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on the matter then. Just my opinion on a my gains. Thank you and good night.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/08/22, 01:20 PM
What ever. I meant nothing personal. I think you tried to do so. Never meant to say you did not earn it. Just that I do not care that you have one.

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!

KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/08/22, 01:22 PM
Good night jeon....

mutt you 6'1?????You must be rather intimidating!!In fact you probably scare the hell out of people!!

OK....enough of that...back to the thread...

plateau breakers:

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/08/22, 01:23 PM
Nope I am a big teddy bear.
2006/08/22, 02:32 PM
If you want to break a pleateau that's fine you can do just about anything. However it will be tough to bench 400+(or just about any other big lift for big numbers) with this type of training if you're not a huge guy. I do not doubt there are people benching 300+ at 130lb....Start lifting with singles and doubles consistantly and you'll be amazed how strong you can get...

Personally I like training with low reps and that's how I built most of my strength.

I also dont like applying cookie cutter army or any other US force standards on the general population. Army has those standards for specific purpose. It allows its soldiers to function in their jobs. However for general population it's simply not applicable. I do not need to be able to do 1000000 sit ups, push ups, or run a marathon....all this builds is Endurance.....is this good for the army? sure because they often have to do physically demanding work for many hours a day....but for me and most other people it's not necessary....because for me it's not a factor that I want to build....I rather improve my power/strength...or any number of other qualities...

jeon you're stationed in south korea? how's the weather?
jeon
jeon
United States
2006/08/24, 04:00 AM
HEy, MEnace are those your photo's if so you would have no problem with the military life style hell you might even be laughing half the time you go to PT. I've been out of the Army for 3 years now. YOur absolutely wrong about that military stuff and the jobs. Some of the lazyest people I've ever seen are in the US Army and that is a fact. I would say it's about half and half. Half of the people are out of shape and the other half are in good shape. The last Unit I was in was at Ft. Benning GA. And the soldiers were lets say all sizes. When I came in the morning for Physical Training or what we call PT. The people would just dissappear claiming they had aches and pains and were going to sick call. That's what we call going to see a Doctor. I would say for me I only remember one time when I was that sick where I needed to see a doctor and that was 1999. Most of the jobs in the Army require little muscle to accomplish. As a mechanic in the army one of the most demanding jobs there is, I was taking a break for most of the day right along with all my fellow mechanics. When you become a Sergent oh I say it's more paper work and taking care of the soldiers below you than anything.
While I was stationed in Korea for three years this was the best time of my life. Some mornings of PT were very hard while suffering from a hangover. Running 3 miles with no sleep and a 5th of Jack in you is pretty rough exersice. Hell I can still make that run, while others are falling out when they had 8 hours of sleep the night before. Most people when they join the army are only there for one thing the college money. If anybody from the US army read I'm sure you will agree.
2006/08/24, 11:45 PM
I dont necessarily agree with the army standards but then again some people get offended by that so I dont mention anything. My point is that I can understand timed runs to test general conditioning. However all the situps, chin ups, and push ups are downright pointless....all they test is muscular endurance. Would be much better test to have people squat, deadlift, and overhead press, or chin ups for max....like being able to squat/deadlift your bodyweight or do 5 chin ups... i just see no point for 100 push ups...

Yes those are my photos. I may be struggling to pass the runs. Since I dont regularly do cardio my conditioning has gotten worse...in HS used to run mile in 6 something....pretty crappy...then again I was never very good at running...
jeon
jeon
United States
2006/08/26, 02:50 AM
YOU and me both on the run. I would probably die in like a mile now at the pace my fellow soldiers run. The army standard is set for age the older you are the less you have to do. You were talking about chin ups this is only for recreation in the army. Most people would struggle with 1 chinup that are in the army especially the women no offence meant to that. I'm sure you and other people have exceptional army friends that are in great shape. THe push-ups and sit-ups are timed also like the run. 2 minutes for both push-ups and sit-ups. And there are rules on how to do each correctly.
As for me the exercises I did while in the army had little effect on my body so I usually exercised 2 times a day. morning and night the morning was mostly cardio exercises that the army had in place like the run, and muscle failure exercises like push-ups and leg exercises. At night I would hit the gym to build mass. It's been nice chatting with you.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/08/29, 12:47 AM

Good thread gone bad...

--------------
Iron and chalk.
2006/08/29, 01:25 PM
wrestler how can a thread go bad when mutt states that he's a big teddy bear...? LOL

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/08/29, 01:36 PM
Gee thanks. Still want to know from jeon why it was so important to know how tall and what my weight is.

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!