Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Milk post workout??

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/05/24, 12:21 PM
Alright guys, hold on to your hats. I and all of us have fallen prey to the supplement companies' telling us we have to have whey isolate and dextrose or a pre made type. My SPIDER SENSE was tingling all along, as I am an old schooler and remember the days we drank milk, ate steaks, etc. after training, and made nice gains. Well, I went along with all that and even preached the whey/dextrose philosophy. Well, lo and behold, check this out. Sometimes, the more we learn about this stuff, the more we should revert back to the basics. They worked then and always will. Read on....

Elliot TA et. al. Milk ingestion stimulates net muscle protein synthesis following resistance exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc. (2006) 38(4):667-74.

PURPOSE: Previous studies have examined the response of muscle protein to resistance exercise and nutrient ingestion. Net muscle protein synthesis results from the combination of resistance exercise and amino acid intake. No study has examined the response of muscle protein to ingestion of protein in the context of a food. This study was designed to determine the response of net muscle protein balance following resistance exercise to ingestion of nutrients as components of milk. METHOD: Three groups of volunteers ingested one of three milk drinks each: 237 g of fat-free milk (FM), 237 g of whole milk (WM), and 393 g of fat-free milk isocaloric with the WM (IM). Milk was ingested 1 h following a leg resistance exercise routine. Net muscle protein balance was determined by measuring amino acid balance across the leg. RESULTS: Arterial concentrations of representative amino acids increased in response to milk ingestion. Threonine balance and phenylalanine balance were both > 0 following milk ingestion. Net amino acid uptake for threonine was 2.8-fold greater (P < 0.05) for WM than for FM. Mean uptake of phenylalanine was 80 and 85% greater for WM and IM, respectively, than for FM, but not statistically different. Threonine uptake relative to ingested was significantly (P < 0.05) higher for WM (21 +/- 6%) than FM (11 +/- 5%), but not IM (12 +/- 3%). Mean phenylalanine uptake/ingested also was greatest for WM, but not significantly. CONCLUSIONS: Ingestion of milk following resistance exercise results in phenylalanine and threonine uptake, representative of net muscle protein synthesis. These results suggest that whole milk may have increased utilization of available amino acids for protein synthesis.

My comments: If nothing else, this study should be interesting to any old timers/lifting historians who subscribe to the newsletter. For decades, bulking up was traditionally done by lifting heavy (especially the 20 rep squat routine) and drinking gallons of whole milk. And now, years later, we have a study supporting what lifters were doing the whole time (before fat phobia and the anti-milk nonsense infected bodybuilding).

A number of studies have examined the impact of nutrient intake both before and after resistance training but typically supplements have been used. This study set out to examine two different aspects of post-workout nutrition: the impact of nutrients found in whole food (in this case milk) on protein balance post-workout as well as comparing skim to whole milk.

Comparing skim milk, whole milk and skim milk containing the same number of calories as the whole milk; all the drinks were given one hour following resistance training. Following two different amino acid tracers, the researchers found that whole milk actually gave the greatest response in terms of muscular uptake of the aminos although the difference only reached statistical significance for one of the aminos examined. As well, the researchers noted a rather large variability in response between the different subjects and an explanation of the difference between the whole and skim milk trials was neither studied specifically nor given.

In any case, all three drinks successfully promoted protein gains following weight training and milk may provide a near ideal post-workout food in that it contains a combination of casein and whey (the ratio found in milk is 80% casein/20% whey) along with some simple sugars. This is in addition to a number of nutrients including dairy calcium (which some studies suggest impacts on fat loss and calorie partitioning). Two glasses of milk will contain 16 grams of protein along with 24 grams of carbs and can make an effective post-workout drink (fat content will depend on what type of milk is chosen, skim, 1 or 2% or whole milk); lactose intolerant individuals can use products like Lactaid (lactose removed milk).

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
bicep
bicep
Canada
2006/05/24, 12:34 PM
I`d not be surprised if that’s true. I think it`s all marketing, however protein powder is convenient since you can mix it with pretty much with anything as oppose to dragging gallon of milk everywhere you go. I`m just very skeptical about all the different kinds that you see in the health stores.
bicep
bicep
Canada
2006/05/24, 12:35 PM
I`d not be surprised if that’s true. I think it`s all marketing, however protein powder is convenient since you can mix it with pretty much with anything as oppose to dragging gallon of milk everywhere you go. I`m just very skeptical about all the different kinds that you see in the health stores.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/05/24, 12:35 PM
Its simple to get both, just mix your whey with milk! Fast absorbing whey, slow absorbing casein.

============
Quoting from bicep:

=============

--------------
Mojo_67
Mojo_67
United States
2006/05/24, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the heads up bb1.

--------------
Days go by and life drags on.....
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/05/29, 10:44 PM
Yeah I've resently started with milk again....i still see results and it satisfy's me better

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

People don't reach thier true potental, only those who seek it.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/05/30, 10:35 PM
And you yelled at me once for this...

There was a study showing cassein had superior anabolic properties pwo than whey and other proteins. This was a while ago. I'll post it here if I find it.

--------------
Iron and chalk.

Pain is only temporary, it is in your mind. If you can still walk, then you can still run.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/05/31, 12:54 AM
I yelled at alot of folks over this, including myself. On one hand, my common sense was saying, maybe the supplement companies are behind this dextrose/whey thing, as I used to do milk and steak, etc. post workout all the time. In fact back in the old days, we only had milk and egg protein, there was no whey.

--------------
2006/05/31, 04:42 AM
chocolate milk pwo :)
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2006/05/31, 12:30 PM
It reminds me of a story that Bill Kazmier told me: one time, after a particularly heavy workout, he was extremely hungry. So he and one of his lifting partners went to a grocery store that was next door to the gym. Kaz went and grabbed a gallon of milk and a steak from the butcher. Before they got to the checkout, he had finished the milk AND the steak (that's right - RAW)!

That's what I call a post-workout meal..... damn animal. :big_smile:

--------------
Michael

Powerlifters -
We eat raw meat, and sleep naked in the snow...
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2006/05/31, 05:25 PM
Chocolate milk with instant milk added. Been trying that for the last 4 weeks and will continue for another 4.

--------------
Scales are for dead weight: We are not dead yet!
Still trying to find out how to do the Hollywood Free Press.

Ivan

Montreal Canada
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/05/31, 09:17 PM
Chocolate milk does work! Not to mention the taste.

I think that it is smart to add some whey, this way you get both fast acting and slow acting protein.

--------------
typ
typ
United States
2006/06/01, 01:17 PM
Okay, for those less knowledgeable people, mainly me. What about the Dex & Maltodex? If I am understanding this correctly, we would just do away with them? By the way, what I have been doing is appx. 48g of ON Whey, 24g Dex & 24g of Maltodex for PWO shake. Thanks for the clarification.
mysticgraces
mysticgraces
Canada
2006/06/01, 02:26 PM
How ironic..cause I have ALWAYS had a post workout protein shake with %1 milk,I found it helped to keep my blood sugars stable Seems for once iam doing something right
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/06/01, 09:16 PM
MetRx is a good brand. What I don't like in their blend is the wheat protein in the RTD's.

============
Quoting from swarm:

Doesn't the Met-rx "metamyosyn" brag about having whey and casein for this reason? I had always though casein blocks the uptake of whey, so it was not good to mix the two pwo
=============

--------------
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/06/01, 09:59 PM
What you say is key. If what you are doing is working, this is then right for you. If it isn't broken, don't fix it!

============
Quoting from mysticgraces:

How ironic..cause I have ALWAYS had a post workout protein shake with %1 milk,I found it helped to keep my blood sugars stable Seems for once iam doing something right
=============

--------------
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/06/03, 12:28 AM
Met rx has been around a long time, literally revolutionized the protein industry. I bought it when you could only buy it mail order. They wanted me to be a distributor for them.

--------------
jakewa3
jakewa3
Canada
2006/06/03, 03:12 AM
Glad to know I too am doing something right. I am usually hungry all the time and eat 1%cottage cheese, 2-4 cups a day, as snacks or with meals. 32g of protein per cup. Now just to get down to 10% BF.......
a0f6459
a0f6459
United States
2006/06/09, 12:21 PM
my first post

does this now mean that muscle milk is a great pwo shake?

i have read alot about it in forums and people always said it was not good for pwo because of the casein

also, the dex/malto is no longer needed?

please clarify

thanks
davidday
davidday
United States
2006/06/15, 03:59 PM
And what about Soy Milk???

--------------
Dave
----------------------------------------
Eu achei um amor que é bom para mim...
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/06/15, 04:38 PM
I think they are more issues with the fats than with the casein.

============
Quoting from a0f6459:

my first post

does this now mean that muscle milk is a great pwo shake?

i have read alot about it in forums and people always said it was not good for pwo because of the casein

also, the dex/malto is no longer needed?

please clarify

thanks
=============

--------------
mrdeadly99
mrdeadly99
United States
2006/06/30, 11:46 PM
so what about doing a milk/whey/malto pwo shake, will that be beneficial?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/07/01, 07:23 AM
Sure....basically how I do it.

--------------
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/04/11, 07:36 PM
bump
danny_tuff
danny_tuff
Australia
2007/04/11, 09:52 PM
thanks assimer if that bump was for my question. Even if it wasn't lol thanks

--------------
OBSESSION is a word the lazy use to describe the DEDICATED
conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/04/21, 12:33 PM
Cool, I am actually doing something right!! I have been using milk with my whey protein for my PWO since day 1 :) And I usually add a yogurt to it for the insulin spike as well :)
catsneck
catsneck
United Kingdom
2007/04/21, 05:02 PM
So, let me get this right,I'm about 165lbs,I've never tried this malto/dex whey pwo.Is it worth a try, say 30g malto,30g dextrose and 30g reflex whey mixed up with milk for my pwo (down 1/2 then sip the rest)