Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

How my times in a week?

knobby
knobby
United States
2008/04/02, 03:33 PM
Hello,
My personal trainer informed me that only lifting weights for each body part 1 times a week is good enough. Is that true?
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/04/02, 04:03 PM
yes...depending on your fitness goals.

--------------
Bettia

Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It is all about timing.
-Stacey Chapman
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/04/02, 06:27 PM
Absolutely, gives more recovery time and more time to focus on muscle/s being worked.
koya1893
koya1893
United States
2008/04/03, 09:39 AM
If you head the direction of very intense routine which I incoporate into my clients time I usually work them hard on heavy days for two days straight then rest one day to pick the weekly routine the day after to complete four days a week. I do this for two weeks straight then rest for a week, remember rest is also building time as long as you rest and not staying up late at a party and keep the eating routine the same. I call the rest week as feed the muscle time to get blasted the following week.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/04/03, 08:20 PM
I'm going to go ahead play devils advocate.

I absolutely think it is enough frequency. I do NOT, however, think it is OPTIMAL for most trainee's, especially not for beginners (which is the forum this was posted in). Most beginners will respond better to a higher frequency total body workout than to a "once a week" routine.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/04/03, 11:26 PM
I am a firm believer the body can be 'trained'. As you probably know, there are high volume addicts out there, they swear by tons of sets as often as recovery allows. Then others who swear that low volume, such as the Mike Mentzer way is completely adequate.

I believe that some exercise is better than none. However, after years of 'personal' research, I believe that the body needs to be 'trained' first, that is with a bit more volume than your trainer is proposing.

After you are well trained, then you may well get by with a program like the one you were proposed by your trainer, this to more maintain your physique and most of your fitness levels. To do this type of routine in a beginning mode, I take Wrestlers stance...will you be healthier? Sure, will you reach maximal gains? Very doubtful.

We don't get many 'do-overs- in life, so you may want to do a bit more investigation before accepting his/her advice. Remember, personal trainers a basically a dime a dozen these days, any kid with a bump on his arm and 4 hrs. of time can get certified. This does not mean they are good or even have a clue.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/04/04, 10:40 AM
============
Quoting from bb1fit:

any kid with a bump on his arm and 4 hrs. of time can get certified.

=============

Dude, I look HYUGE next to the trainers at golds gym.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk