Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22774

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Sticky Diet thread

1 2 3 of 3 pages resultset_next resultset_last
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/04, 11:47 AM (Edited: george - 2012/01/01, 08:13 AM)
Ok, thought I would start a thread exclusively related to diet, and post when possible, diet thoughts, diet types, how to start diets, maintenance, etc. Basics, and then some. These will be posted as time permits..:)

Ok, for the first installment.....many folks want to know just how quick they can lose X amount of FAT! Remember the word fat. Conventional wisdom has it that less than 2 lbs. per week is max. This again is conventional wisdom, in other words a figure someone came up with "everyone" seemed to like, and it became mainstream. To its credit, it is probably the maximum one should actually strive for.

Putting this realistically for folks, some numbers may be of use. One lb. of fat contains approximately 3500 calories energy. So, doing the math, in order to lose 2 lbs. of fat per week, requires a weekly deficit of 7000 calories! (and that is assuming in a perfect world all of it is fat!)

Now, a deficit can come in a variety of ways, but it means restriction of calories in some form...whether through diet, exercise, supplementation, or a combination of them. This will come out to 1000 calories per day. So you see, this conventional wisdom may not be realistic....or the 2 lbs. per week you are losing are not all fat!!

For fear of making these too long, and people will get bored reading them, next installment we will take a look at weight loss versus fat loss.

As I go, will be introducing some dieting methods, from kickstarting a diet to how to do maintenance. Hope this helps folks. It is time consuming...feedback would be interesting to see if anyone thinks it worthwhile before I invest too much time.:big_smile:

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
Mugie44
Mugie44
United States
2005/07/04, 04:29 PM
I think it is worthwhile to some of the people here, including me. I can't wait until the next post. Thanks :)
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/04, 04:37 PM
Ok, at least one person wants this....now some will be basic knowlege to some folks, but I am trying to reach all those who are not as knowlegable. Some of it will be advanced, I am going to try to set up or shall I say guide you through setting up a diet that will work, how to figure calories needed, how to jump start a current diet, how to maintain once you reach your goal, etc. Hope all find it useful, and I will continue as feedback comes in that it is useful. So, without further ado, here is the next installment....

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
dnold
dnold
United States
2005/07/04, 04:42 PM
I am already waiting in anticipation of your next post! I really need some help.
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2005/07/04, 04:59 PM
Great idea on the diet thread...I'll check it often!

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/04, 05:00 PM
Now, weight loss vs. fat loss...Most folks figure LBM(lean body mass) in simple terms of muscle and fat as a combined weight and using a percentage of the 2 to figure fat mass. This however cannot really be a fact, as you obviously have organs in your body that have weight, bones, etc. While this is practically impossible to do, we will have to rely on the "standard".

For example, to figure your bodyfat % (within reason), divide the total amount of fat into your total bodyweight, and voila', bodyfat %.

Lean body mass (LBM)will therefore be represented as the remaining body mass minus the fat %. Quick example....if you figure 10% bodyfat, and you weigh 200lb total, your LBM would be 180lb. (200-20)

Ok, on to the difference in weight loss vs. fat loss. Here you are, you start a diet by somehow reducing some form of caloric intake, even exercising. In say 3 weeks, you get on the scale and you are 10 lbs. lighter, you are ecstatic right? But, how do you know if it was muscle, fat, water, or a combination of all of the above? You really don't....water weight can fluctuate so much you may even have shown a gain in weight depending on when you weigh. If one is overly heavy(bordering on obese for instance), then it may well be beneficial in the short term. The body will give up fat stores very easy if there are plenty of them, and later will address this.

The point I am trying to make here is the true long term goal is fat loss, not simply overall weight loss. Total weight loss will almost never be total fat, but with correct nutrients, and proper exercise, we can insure a good portion of it is in fact fat.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/04, 05:31 PM
Lets take a small look(not too in depth, I will be typing forever:laugh:) at essential and non essential nutrients.

A non-essential nutrient is one that is still essential, but in simple terms means it is not essential to get it from the diet.(nutrients our body can make on its own). Examples are glucose, some fatty acids, and some of the amino acids for example).

Essential nutrients are those that the body cannot manufacture(vitamins and minerals come to mind).

This leads into the dieting approach I recommend, and should well be common sense, is lowering nutrient intake, but keeping nutrient intake centered around the ESSENTIAL nutrients. Attempting to remove the non essential nutrients from the diet will free up alot of calorie cap room for healthy, whole, nutritionally dense foods.

My research has shown that the body has a daily requirement of around 60 nutrients on a daily basis(there are of course many more), but these provide optimal health.

Figure there are 8 essential amino acids(protein), 2 essential fatty acids, and too many to list here vitamins and minerals. Seems like I left carbs out....well, we really can do without them to some extent, so don't yell at me. The main diet plan I am going to expound on is a high protein based diet, carbs included of course, but dwelling on the type and time of using them.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/04, 08:53 PM
I will spare you the calorie breakdown of protein, carbs,fats unless someone specifically requests it. I do feel that a bit on fat and cholesterol may well be beneficial, and can get quite in depth. But will pass on that for now also.....

Wanted to continue on nutrient value, nutrients for energy and building blocks. Almost all parts of the human body are constantly in a state of buildup, breakdown, buildup, breakdown, vice versa, etc, etc. So, it would make sense to intake nutrients that provide these needed building blocks. An example we are all concerned with is skeletal muscle, which need the aforementioned amino acid for building blocks. As well, cholesterol and fats play a large role for cell membranes.

And then you have your fuel source. Your body is always using a fuel source, even reading this post is using fuel(at a small rate granted, but nonetheless). The brain, heart, skeletal muscle, the liver, etc....even the fat cells are constantly using energy at some rate. Things use energy at different rates, such as the brain and liver uses much more than fat cells.

Now, important to this section of the post is the body generates ATP (energy your cells can use)from the burning of glucose(from carbohydrate) or fatty acids(from fats). Protein can be used also, but we will kind of disregard this part right now(It can get pretty involved).

Every tissue in the body can use EITHER carbohydrates or fats for fuel. What determines what it uses is basically availability of the source. Eating plenty of carbs, and your body/tissues will use carbs in the form of glucose for fuel. Restrict carbs, and your body can switch its fuel source to fats. The body is an efficient machine. :)

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
DX14AG
DX14AG
United States
2005/07/04, 09:28 PM
I really like this Idea of yours Ron, but I would also really like for you to go more in depth instead of just being afraid that it will bore people and scare them away from this topic. Will you go further in to depth later on or will you continue to list the basics of the "Diet"? Great information by the way.

DX
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/05, 05:50 AM
Well, I was figuring it is going to take long enough to get to actually how to go about setting up a diet, maintaining it, metabolic slowdown and what to do, even how to end the diet. And then maintenance once you reach your goal.

This really is going to take some time and effort to cover.

I thought I could get more "in depth" with individual questions if you know what I mean.

============
Quoting from DX14AG:

I really like this Idea of yours Ron, but I would also really like for you to go more in depth instead of just being afraid that it will bore people and scare them away from this topic. Will you go further in to depth later on or will you continue to list the basics of the "Diet"? Great information by the way.

DX
=============

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2005/07/05, 10:29 AM
Nice idea, Ron!
thanks for taking all of the time to do this!:)

--------------
It\'s easier to go down a hill than up it but the view is much better at the top.
-Henry Ward Beecher
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/05, 08:24 PM
Ok, we proceed on to the center of the diet, protein. Just what we all were waiting for, huh?

By providing protein from an external source(food), we can alleviate the inherent problems of the total systematic weightloss...i.e...muscle along with fat, maybe even more muscle than fat. By providing protein intake from and external source, the liver can now use the dietary protein instead of existing protein(muscle, the only other source available to it) for glucose. This in turn spares LBM.

Research indicates 1-1.5 gr. of protein per Kg. of LBM would work(we are not talking atheletes here), it turned out that adding carbs, etc. really did not make much difference in this case of sparing lean mass, while allowing for fat(and weight loss..remember water). This is interesting in itself. So, can adding some essential nutrients(remember them?) to this protien be enough to accomplish fat loss and save lean mass? Could it really be that simple? Well, with a few additions or shall we say variations, it really can be that simple.

Now, simple and easy are two different things, no diet is "easy", but with a bit of desire, drive, and fortitude, undertaking this plan can and will yeild excellent results, and give not only weight loss, but that hard lean body you desire.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
RandomGirl
RandomGirl
United States
2005/07/06, 01:39 AM
Thanks for doing a breakdown like this.
I am eager to see the next posts, I'll definately be checking often here!
ksmith2474
ksmith2474
United States
2005/07/07, 02:10 PM
I love this thread you have started. You are definately NOT wasting your time by doing this. I think this information you are providing will be a big help to a lot of people trying to lose weight. A lot of people are getting their 'diet education' from fad diets and infomercials. Not good.

Anyway, thank you for posting this, I know that I will definately benefit from it. I can't wait to learn more so I can get started right away...

--------------
Kristi

There are no endings, only new beginnings
DX14AG
DX14AG
United States
2005/07/07, 07:14 PM
Now I feel like a bad guy trying to rush into things and all. I'm sorry...This truly is a great idea Ron and like ksmith2474 said, it's definately not a waste of your time.

DX
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/07, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the notes everyone, trying to help folks(make it as painless as possible), and your comments make me think it is worthwhile. So, I will continue on.

So, we have gone from seeing the consequences of a simple starvation diet....i.e...randomly or drastically cutting calories with abandon)will result in a weight loss, but much of it muscle along with fat and water.

We now know the simple addition of an intelligent amount of a single nutrient, protein, and we can dramatically alter the outcome of the afore mentioned type of weight loss to what we desire, fat loss.

Why is it so important to retain as much LBM as possible? This is your first and main line as a natural fat burner in itself. LBM burns calories even at rest!

So, now acting upon what we have learned about protein, it would make sense to base our diets around this essential nutrient, sparing our LBM.

Now, with a few optimal additions of essential nutrients again in correct amounts, we can make it actually healthy and satisfying, and the results can give us what we all desire.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/07, 08:21 PM
Ok, so what nutrients are we going to add to enhance this new eating plan?

Now, this is a word that is "dirty" to many frustrated dieters due to mostly erroneous bombardment by the media complex, but the intelligent addition of FATS is essential.

Now, fats can easily be a topic we could cover extensively for months on end, but hopefully this will not be necessary.

No doubt many have heard of EFA's at some point by now, which stand for essential fatty acids. Recall early on that of the essential nutrients mentioned, 2 essential fatty acids were mentioned. They are Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids, we will for now on call them w3 and w6's. Of the 2, w3's are what we will focus on.

A bit about w3's....there are 3 major types of omega 3 fatty acids that are ingested in foods and used by the body....ALA, EPA,and DHA. EPA and DHA. Once eaten, the body converts ALA to EPA and DHA, the two types of omega-3 fatty acids more readily used by the body. Now, I don't want to dwell too much here on w3's, but they are so important some information to just how much they are needed should be obliged. So, bear with me a bit here....

The most important thing we as dieters are concerned with is they actually improve fat loss, and increase insulin sensitivity. Again, stating here just the factors about w3's that are paramount to our discussion(and there are tons more), w3's seem to show the ability to increased HDL cholesterol and decreased triglycerides (fatty material that circulates in the blood).

In addition, fish oil supplements containing EPA and DHA have been shown to reduce LDL ("bad") cholesterol and triglycerides. Finally, walnuts (which are rich in ALA) have been shown to lower total cholesterol and triglycerides in people with high cholesterol.

Got a bit ahead of myself with the fish oil supps and walnuts, but just a mention here in the discussion.

The next thing is basically an unlimited amount(within reason and types of course) of vegetables.

Addition of vitamins, minerals and support supplements.

Ok, now for a moment back to protein. In the research, remember that 1-1.5g. per kg. of LBM was the alloted amount. We must realize that active individuals will need different amounts than sedentary or inactive folks. This will be addressed as best possible, but this diet model we are undertaking in this discussion is geared a bit toward the newbie, not so athletic. Modifications will be of course alloted for as we go for the more active, but principles are exactly the same here.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/08, 07:37 PM
Ok, now that the groundwork has been laid, lets actually begin to figure/set up the diet. I would suggest you get a rough estimate of your current bodyfat, the one on this site will do just fine. Click on fitness resources tab, under the general fitness tools click fitness calculators, and then click bodyfat percentage. A warning here, don't fret too much about the number, it is just relative, and a place to start and digress from. Just use it as beginning point to make sure you are going the right way if you know what I mean.

We will lay out some guidelines in protein grams per day. For males with 15% bf or lower, and females whith 24% and lower, figure your LBM(total weight-total fat)and use 1-1.25 gr. protein per lb. LBM.For males with a higher bf, say 16-25%, and females with a higher bf%, say 25-34%, use .9 gr. protein per lb. LBM..and for folks with above these levels, .8 will work.

If you do weight training and aerobics, you may bump this up .5 gr.

I suggest you take your protein requirements from the post "grocery list for healthy eating". It is a solid list. A note about protein powders....if you are weight training, you may use one pwo, but other than that, I highly suggest whole foods. One, you will feel much more satiated(gastric emptying will be longer), and of course whole foods are much more nutritious.

Vegetables....do not be afraid of them. This is going to be a large part of this diet. But, an easy part compared to protein management. I suggest avoiding corn, carrots, peas(more calorie dense and we are looking for fiber and nutritionally dense here). By saying do not be afraid of them, I mean just that. You really can have and should have an almost limitless amount.

I cannot stress from the prior post enough the importance fish oil capsules and flax oil are going to play in this diet. Initial recommendation is 6 gr. per day in divided doses. If you prefer flax oil, 1 tbsp. is normally 10 gr. of fats, 100 calories. This is fine too, but if you can, fish oil is really the way to go.

A good amount of water, drink plenty... any fluids can count, green tea is great, etc. (avoid sodas obviously).

Now, when carbs are low as they will be in this diet, some intelligent supplementation should be adhered to. Calcium, potassium, magnesium, and a multi vitamin at the very least. I prefer rather than a multi a good B complex, 500 mg.-1 gr. Vit. C, and 400 I.U. mixed tocopherals Vit. E to go with the calcium, etc. Calcium should be taken in divided doses for better absorbtion.

Now that we have the basics of the diet down(remember, this is a diet geared for fairly quick results which we all want). Next, we will start with meal frequency, amounts(portions), etc.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/09, 11:31 PM
thought it may be a bit helful/convincing to those folks reading this thread that EFA's can actually help you burn fat....yep, fat can help you burn fat...here is some evidence...

Official Journal of The
American Society of Exercise Physiologists (ASEP)

ISSN 1097-9751
An International Electronic Journal
Volume 7 Number 1 February 2004

Nutrition and Exercise

CHRONIC SUPPLEMENTATION WITH FISH OIL INCREASES FAT OXIDATION DURING EXERCISE IN YOUNG MEN

DEREK M. HUFFMAN, JODY L. MICHAELSON, TOM R. THOMAS

Exercise Physiology Program, Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Missouri-Columbia, Columbia, MO 65211

ABSTRACT

CHRONIC SUPPLEMENTATION WITH FISH OIL INCREASES FAT OXIDATION DURING EXERCISE IN YOUNG MEN. Derek M. Huffman, Jody L. Michaelson, Tom R. Thomas. JEPonline. 2004;7(1):48-56. Recent evidence suggests that omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil (FO) stimulate fat oxidation in liver and perhaps skeletal muscle. Our purpose was to examine the effect of an acute high-dose and a chronic low-dose of FO on fat oxidation during exercise. Seven recreationally active males (age 21-27 yr) jogged for 60 min at 60 % VO2max in three trials administered in random order: 1) no meal (NM), 2) 4 h following a high-fat meal (HFM), and 3) 4 h following an isocaloric HFM partly substituted with FO (HFM+FO). The FO supplement contained 60 % eicosapentaenoic acid, and 40 % docosahexaenoic acid. Subjects then supplemented 4 g/day of FO for 3 wk and while remaining on the supplementation regimen, repeated the same three trials in random order. Indirect calorimetry was used for the determination of oxygen consumption, respiratory exchange ratio, and energy expenditure from fat and carbohydrate. Heart rate, and rating of perceived exertion were also monitored for each test. The acute high-dose FO had no significant affect on fat use during exercise. In contrast, chronic supplementation significantly augmented total fat energy expenditure as compared to trials before supplementation in each of the three treatments versus trials prior to chronic supplementation (NM, 269.1 ± 49.8 v. 245.7 ± 36.2 Kcal, P = 0.009; HFM, 295.2 ± 40.2 v. 260.8 ± 36.4, P = 0.001; HFM+FO, 299.0 ± 38.7 v. 280.4 ± 35.9 Kcal, P = 0.002). These data suggest that chronic, but not acute FO supplementation enhanced the contribution of lipid during exercise in young active males.

Omega-3 fatty acids (n-3fa) in the form of fish oil (FO) have garnered much attention for their triglyceride (TG) lowering affect (1,2). The mechanistic action of FO and other n-3fa is believed to involve the suppression of enzymes engaged in TG synthesis and stimulation of beta-oxidation in the liver (1,2). Recent studies have demonstrated novel pathways that polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA), and in particular eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) from FO, enhance fatty acid oxidation (3). PUFA such as EPA and DHA are believed to mediate the repartitioning of metabolic fuels by stimulating fatty acid oxidation and ketogenesis, inhibiting fatty acid and TG synthesis, and reducing concentrations of malonyl-CoA. In vitro studies suggest that metabolites of EPA and DHA are more potent activators of fat oxidation than other fatty acids via the binding of the transcription factor, peroxisomal poliferator-activated receptor-alpha (PPAR-á)

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
2005/07/11, 09:43 AM
WHAT A FABULOUS THREAD.......YOU WILL HELP MANY WHO READ! THANKS FOR THE INFO AS USUAL. :dumbbell:
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/12, 11:43 AM
For those of you who detest reading studies...the significance of this study cannot be missed and this in fact verifies my diet layout as proof positive....witness this line....

"chronic supplementation significantly augmented total fat energy expenditure as compared to trials before supplementation in each of the three treatments versus trials prior to chronic supplementation"

Chronic meaning using fats on a steady basis...ring a bell as to what I have been alluding to with this diet thread? Protein and fats on "chronic" basis?

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
vadwear
vadwear
United States
2005/07/12, 10:53 PM
wow.. I printed all of this so far, I plan on reading it before bed.. thanks so very much.. I look forward to this!
:love:
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/13, 11:03 AM
Glad to help, happy some folks are getting some good use out of it. Tried and proven, it works and is easy to do. I am going to continue on with setting it up, when to take breaks, how to take breaks, ending the diet, maintenance, etc. Lots of typing, lots of info. :)

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/13, 11:24 AM
Ok, next installment...hopefully the above posts have been somewhat "digested' (pardon the pun).

Setting up meal frequency...no doubt unless living in a cave you have heard eating 5-6 times per day is best. Actually while this is true, in my research and personal experience over many years, it really comes down at the end of the day to calories...so using this approach will be your determining factor in how many meals you should eat.

For instance if you have a 120 lb. woman, who's maintenance calories are for instance 1200(just a number thrown out there, we are all different), telling her she needs to eat 6-7 meals per day is almost silly. Think about it, each meal would be a mere 200 calories. Now, while this could be done, meal nutrient intakes would be low, and this has to be taken into factor also.

So we are going to buck conventional wisdom for some folks. Lower calorie folks may well do good with 3-4 meals per day...remember this thread is for this diet only right now. It will provide a beginning fat loss and will serve to keep you going in your quest with progress. We will take appropriate "breaks" for metabolic reset, etc.

That leads us into metabolic slowdown. This will happen to most on any diet, this one also. This is a very in depth topic, and will not get too detailed, just touch on the why's and what's.

Ok, the body has been "programmed" from early days(being chased by predators, running through endless deserts, etc.) to "regulated bodyweight" so to speak. There are tons of analogies, but the thermostat analogy may work well here. If you set a thermostat at a certain point, say 70 degrees, the thermostat will do its very best to regulate the temperature to stay at this point by turning it on and off as needed. Better thermostat, better regulation. Your body is very, very good at it.

The regulator in the body is the hypothalamus...it is a structure in your brain, and metabolic rate, activity levels and natural hormonal changes change when gain or lose weight as a result. The hypothalamus "keeps track" of your bodyweight(really how much bodyfat you are carrying, as this it what it uses to fight starvation mode). It wants to keep where you are currently at.

So, as you may see from the brief above paragraph, "tricking" your body is all but impossible. The hypothalamus will respond to regulate your set point by dropping metabolic rate, upping certain hormones, etc.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
vadwear
vadwear
United States
2005/07/16, 08:51 AM
I am still so VERY confused... I am 117, BF or 28%.. I am soft in the middle... I work out heavy weights 1-2 body parts a day, c(5 days a week) cardio 4-6 times a week (30-45 min)... eat pretty clean, slight cheats (lite mocha frap or low-sodium chips or lite popcorn) calories around 1400-1800 a day... what so I eat before working out and/or after? I keep asking thi squestion but the answers are so confusing?! I workout 1st thing in the morning after my coffee. PLEASE BE CLEAR! :( thanks Lisa

--------------
If you are tired of your life, your body, yourSELF.. CHANGE IT!
vadwear
vadwear
United States
2005/07/16, 08:58 AM
PLEASE forgive me.. after some further research.. I found what I need to know in another area of this site.. thanks so much and I apologize for wasting you rtime!

Lisa

--------------
If you are tired of your life, your body, yourSELF.. CHANGE IT!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/16, 11:33 AM
Well, we have the diet set now, review...protein,EFA's, and basically unlimited veggies(the right kinds as mentioned above).

Now remember, this is not a long term project, this is meant for those members who need to "jump start" their diet as they are stuck and not progressing, or even just to start dieting to jump start the beginning of a diet. As an note to that, even percieved lean individuals, bodybuilders, etc. can utilize this diet, their intakes will differ due to more exercise, more protein will be needed, etc. but it can also jump start their progress if nothing else.

The period of time to stay on this diet will vary, much depends on your "thermostat" I alluded to in the last post. Much will depend here on your current bodyfat levels. If higher bodyfats, the duration can be much longer than a leaner individual.

Now, it should be mentioned here that most "diets" by any name are not lifestyle changes, they and this one for sure are meant to give you a start or way to begin losing weight, or a way to kick start your current diet that is stalled. This one will especially spare lean mass while providing fat loss.

Breaks will be needed, for many reasons, to stop metabolic slowdown being a biggie, to just the simple fact that flexiblity in dieting leads to longer staying power and thus continued fat loss and progress. Strict dieting is ideal, but not over long periods of time, and normally will backfire.

(We will get into maintenance once you have reached your goal as we progress)

So, what may be termed by some "refeeds" (psychological break, upregulate metabolic rate, re regulate hormones, to name a few) are essential to most dieters success.

There are a few ways this can be accomplished. One simple way is "free meals", another is an actual planned "refeed", and then of course a full diet break. But all are essential(the type you choose) to keeping the fat loss going, keeping the metabolism honest, and keeping the mind from the terrible cravings and thus total blowing of the diet and progress.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
tokatlin
tokatlin
Turkey
2005/07/16, 02:56 PM
really a geat post...when and how frequent to have those refeeds?...what about pwo (fast acting) carbs? shall we exclude them too?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/17, 12:33 PM
We will begin with Free Meals....this is a rather simple approach, it is basically a single meal which literally breaks the diet. In other words, it is out of the dieting realm you are doing. Benefits are many, not to mention pyscholgical. Now, this is not meant to be an all out cheatfest, common sense must be used as we have a goal in mind, and this is a needed step to achieve it. We could call this meal a "normal" meal, and it may be prepared at home or go out to a restaraunt, but if you do choose as wisely as possible. This option is also a nice break in that going out to eat you feel "normal" so to speak. I would still include a portion of protein, and keep the dessert sensible. For frequency of this free meal, I would suggest the lower your current bodyfat, the less free meals you should probably have. The leaner you are, the less time you will need to diet, so therfore, having more free meals would simply prolong your dieting. On the other hand, if you are higher in bodyfat, for men for instance 16-25% and women 25-35%, 2 of these meals per week may be ideal. It is harder when you first begin, and this amount may help ease the "pain" so to speak. As you see progress and of course start getting leaner, then you will obviously want to reach your goal and start to cut back on the free meals.

Now, there is such a thing as a structured refeed....where you deliberately intake high amounts of carbs for a specified period of time. An average timeframe would be one single day. This will help to reset muscle glycogen, help reset metabolism, release hormones(leptin, etc.), and again provide needed break in another way from the diet. The main ideal here is high carbs, very little fats, and normal protein intake.Now, a word about the carbs...these should not be sugar laden, processed, etc. foods. I believe this approach, the structured refeed more for the athelete, and not the heavier less active dieter, for what should be obvious reasons.

Another option is actually a complete diet break. This is just as it sounds, the person takes some time completly away from the diet. A 1-2 week period can be good, but the key here is to eat at MAINTENANCE levels, that is a caloric intake that will maintain your current weight with your current activity level....you cannot simply go back to eating whatever you want. Your diet here would be a more traditional one of course, the biggest changes more carb intake. I would suggest this break be no more than 1-2 weeks, after for instance a 8-10 week run at the diet and staying with it. This will serve to upregulate thyroid hormone levels, and on and on.

Of the 3 methods mentioned here, I think the "free meal" approach the most sound and best approach for the beginning dieter for sure. You want to keep it as simple as possible, and the other 2 methods involve some calculations, effort, etc. that make it harder to do.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/17, 07:19 PM
Yes, in the most basic answer. Very intuitive, you have done well reading and interpeting. :) The plateau you speak of could happen any time, give it a bit and make sure it really is a plateau, and if so, a week or 2 off at maintenance(cannot stress this enough, you do not want to undo all the hard work you just put in) will re adjust metabolism/hormones, etc. for another run. One note, and I was going to get to this, but this is a good time, when you do the "free meal" or the break, expect to see an immediate 1-2 lb. spike, this will occur normally, when taking in some carbs again quickly, water will be retained a bit. Never fear, if the meal is clean, it is not real weight, and you did not undo anything.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/17, 07:23 PM
This may be a good time to point out the purpose of this thread. Kind of veered a bit from the beginning, but for a reason. There are literally tons of posts, I get tons of email, all saying the same thing....." I am stalled on my diet, what do I do", or, "I am eating clean(percieved), and not losing any more weight", etc. This is what this diet thread is slanted toward, jump starting back to progress, and you can keep following this protocol of "jump starts" for as long as you need to to reach your goal. It is not meant to be a long term diet, and I am going to get to how to end the diet, go back into the diet when needed, etc. :)

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
GOFLYRM
GOFLYRM
United States
2005/07/17, 07:24 PM
SO DO YOU THINK THIS WAY OF DIETING IS GOOD FOR SOMEONE LIKE ME THAT HAS THE GOALS THAT I HAVE?

SO I SHOULDNT COINSIDER THIS AS A ATKINS DIET...
RIGHT?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/17, 07:54 PM
No, it is not an Atkins diet. Your fat sources all come from healthy EFA's, and carbs are purposely kept low other than almost unlimited veggies.

Atkins wants you to adopt that diet as a way of life. This is meant to get you where you want to get fat loss wise, and then level off to a sensible eating plan. This is a muscle sparing modification of a fast to rapidly lose some fat for short periods of time. Keeps the sanity, a diet by any name is not a lifestyle change. This will be required after you reach your goal.

Many competitors use this style diet for fat loss, myself included. It works well, is protein sparing, and great for quick, short bursts when needed. I usually would recommend a 6-8 week max doing this type diet, and this is for the leaner, more experienced dieter such as a bodybuilder. Also, protein needs will need to upped(not as much as you might think though) if you are weight training and doing cardio, this has never been addressed as of yet.

A diet by any name in the end deprives you of something, some fat, some carbs, some proteins, but in the end they all deprive you of one thing, the bottom line, calories. The important aspect of this approach I am outlineing is the short durations and muscle sparing aspects so you get leaner without losing lean tissue and reach your goal maybe quicker. We live in a fast food society, we all want it NOW, and this approach is about as quick as one can get and do it sensibly.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
DX14AG
DX14AG
United States
2005/07/17, 11:36 PM
BB1fit, did you mean, "we live in a fast-paced society"? Or is what you typed "Fast food" really what you meant? I understand totally what you mean, just wondering if that's what you meant. Great thread by the way. It's pretty much basic stuff, but it reminds me of the things that must happen in order to achieve your goals.

DX
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/17, 11:50 PM
Nope meant fast food... :) We have gotten used to drive thru's...I want an order of fries, a burger, and oh yeah, how about a good economy! Fecitious of course, but making a point.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/18, 01:37 AM
Yeah, pretty sure with your vast array of acquired knowlege at 15 you knew all this. :) Sorry to bore you. :(

============
Quoting from DX14AG:

It's pretty much basic stuff, but it reminds me of the things that must happen in order to achieve your goals.

DX
=============

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/19, 11:46 AM
I think at this point a few words on how to END the diet are appropriate. I am sure that most have heard at some point that some staggering statistic like 90% of dieters end up putting back on what they took off and then some. 99% of the time it is due to the options of ending a diet, there are 2, one extreme without most realizing it, and one sensible.

We will deal with the extreme example first....and that is going back to your old eating habits. I cannot stress enough this can never be done again realistically. This is precisely why as mentioned above that a diet is not a "lifestyle change". Following any diet will as mentioned deprive you of calories in some way, and is not meant and can normally not be maintained for long term periods(the rest of your life!! :big_smile: ) I shouldn't have to dwell too much here, you folks with common sense will surely grasp this.

The second, and optimal way is to move to a maintenance type diet. For those who don't know exactly what a maintenance diet is or consists of, it is a calorie amount that with your normal metabolic rate, current activity level, etc. an amount of calorie intake on a daily basis that will keep exactly the same, that is current bodyfat and weight. Bodyfat is key here, as you can stay the same weight but not eating a bit correctly, actually still change your muscle to fat ratio. This would be a mistake, as by reading this thread you now know what a factor LBM is in burning fat, and becomes even more crucial as we age.

Now, this does not mean you have to eat the same thing daily, or the same amount of calories each and every day, though if you can, the fine. Realistically, noone is perfect, and variance will and is needed. If you overeat one day, you will not notice more than likely any gain. But, if you start to do it consistently because you did not notice that gain in one day, you most certainly will see a gain. So, monitoring yourself is crucial. I would suggest a 3-5 lb. range, if you start to get to that 5 lb. gain range, nip it early. Much easier to do than to allow it creep up more and more and then have to hit a hard diet again, which is very hard on the body anyway.

Ok, moving back to maintenance. Now, most folks hate counting calories, but it may be essential if you can just bear with it for 5-7 days. Read labels, use the internet sites for calorie counts, whatever you must do but keep track of everything you eat for this time period. This will also serve to OPEN YUR EYES to just how much caloric intake and sugars, etc. is in many of your "favorite" comfort foods. Also initiate you to portion sizes, etc. that you will subsequently learn and be able to simply visualize.

Average this intake of food for this period out and if you have stayed pretty much the same, you are very close to your maintenance calories. If you have gained any, you may want to decrease a bit, and if you have lost, then you are under. (this would be odd)

Now, how do we raise our calories in a sensible way to reach maintenance? You cannot just jump calories up from a diet such as the one I have laid out, you need to do it sensibly. Ramping them up too quickly will will more than likely result in an immediate fat storage, as your body is primed at this point. It is also easy to lose control so to speak, and at the very least you have water retention with bloating.

So, a nice slow approach is optimal, and next post will address this method.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
ebabe1026
ebabe1026
United States
2005/07/19, 08:33 PM
Anxiously awaiting the next post BB1

Thank you for being so dedicated to the cause not just for yourself, but soooooo many others.

--------------
You only get ONE body, take care of it and it'll take care of YOU!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/20, 11:44 AM
Glad you appreciate it. I do enjoy helping, this stuff is hard enough to do. :) If I can make anyones "journey" easier, then I am happy.

============
Quoting from ebabe1026:

Anxiously awaiting the next post BB1

Thank you for being so dedicated to the cause not just for yourself, but soooooo many others.

=============

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
RandomGirl
RandomGirl
United States
2005/07/20, 10:59 PM
I just started my fish oil supplimentation!
I'm still keeping up with this thread , happy you're making the effort for us BB1.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/21, 10:48 AM
I might suggest to coincide with the study parameters, if you can, on cardio days for instance, do your fish oil/fats/protein meal pre cadio, at least an hour before. Then wait about 45 min. post cardio and have a sensible, balanced low gi meal to keep post cardio fat burning intact, and keep post prandial glucose levels downs.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
RandomGirl
RandomGirl
United States
2005/07/21, 05:00 PM
Thank you :)
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2005/07/22, 05:35 AM
Ron - that's got to be one of the most informative posts I've ever read.

--------------
Mike
in Pensacola Now.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2005/07/23, 09:46 AM
Wow, Nice thread Ron, I've been away from here, and it is threads like this that our addictive!

--------------
Scales are for dead weight: We are not dead yet!
Still trying to find out how to do the Hollywood Free Press.

Ivan

Montreal Canada
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/23, 04:31 PM
Thanks folks, makes it feel appreciated. Lots of work, time, and effort involved....when finishing this excellent fat loss approach for those "stuck", thought if interest was high enough to do one on constructing a standard diet approach.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
precious1969
precious1969
United States
2005/07/25, 09:44 AM
Hello, I am new here and was reading the thread and I really think it is good. I was just wondering if I ask questions here or do I have to go somewhere else? I noticed you said "Do not be afraid of veg." well what about fruits? And what kind of veg. are the the best and how should you cook them or eat them raw? I don't know, that is why I am asking you. I have never followed through with a diet, because I could not find one that really fit. I love veg. I just started my exercising today, but I really need a diet plan. Can you help me please?

Thank you,
Precious1969:big_smile:
DX14AG
DX14AG
United States
2005/07/25, 10:22 AM
Check out the Healthy persons grocery list in the nutrition section. This is by bb1fit himself and is very useful. Fruits are a bit high in sugar and so someone who is trying to lose weight wouldn't want all of that sugar in them. Don't get me wrong, fruits are great, just at certain times of the day. Preferably in the morning.

DX
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/25, 11:42 AM
DX makes an excellent analysis. This diet is meant for rapid fat loss. When you modify anything, you modify results from that anything. This diet is designed the way it is for the reason mentioned, rapid fat loss, and believe it or not, fruit can hinder that.

Now, when I get into how to approach maintenance and what to add, fruit will be a part of it.

============
Quoting from precious1969:

Hello, I am new here and was reading the thread and I really think it is good. I was just wondering if I ask questions here or do I have to go somewhere else? I noticed you said "Do not be afraid of veg." well what about fruits? And what kind of veg. are the the best and how should you cook them or eat them raw? I don't know, that is why I am asking you. I have never followed through with a diet, because I could not find one that really fit. I love veg. I just started my exercising today, but I really need a diet plan. Can you help me please?

Thank you,
Precious1969:big_smile:
=============

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/07/31, 12:44 AM
Before continuing on with the next installment, I should mention here that you should take in approximately 100 gr. of carbs per day on your "off" time to reset metabolism.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
sivysivy
sivysivy
United States
2005/08/03, 05:01 PM
Thank you for all your work and giving us this great information!
1 2 3 of 3 pages resultset_next resultset_last