Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

competition

dans1girl
dans1girl
United States
2007/08/02, 09:18 AM
I have been working out for a while now with a friend and lately I feel that she is getting very competitive with me. How much did you lose? What are your measurements? How many calories did you eat today? When I tell her she always has better numbers than me and "rubs it in".
I don't want to work out with her anymore because she insists on lifting more, doing more reps or "just one more set" than me but I still want to be her friend, I am naturally smaller than her, I'm 5'6 she's 5'1. I'm white, she's hispanic. I'm a stick, she's voluptouous<sp> We are just built different. I don't want to compete I just want my friend to work out with me and us to encourage each other no matter what! I have spoken to her but not as bluntly as I'm putting it here. HELP! If I get blunt with her she will lose it. I know her, I really love her dearly but she's bringing me down. I don't want to go to the gym anymore and have made excuses twice to not go. what do I do?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/08/02, 12:09 PM
At the risk of sounding like Dr. Phil...my reply is this..

Personal competition is a good thing. Should in fact be motivational. Many folks wish for someone like that to train with.

For instance, Arnold loved working out with Franco, because he was so much stronger, and pushed Arnold to do more and better.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

georgiagirl
georgiagirl
United States
2007/08/03, 09:42 AM
Dans1girl.... I know exactly what you mean! BB1 is right in some instances it is done is a good way but from what you are saying she is not being supportive. I know that sometimes people do better with a workout partner and some of us ( me included) do better without a partner. You have 2 choices... either tell her and if she is a true friend she will understand, or not work out with her anymore. Just dont give up working out.

--------------
My Catahoula did it.

I saw a book titled "Sex for Dummies" and wondered why
anyone would teach dumb people how to reproduce?
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/08/07, 11:32 PM
Ron, I agree with you to a point... The first thing i learned that wasn't in pt certification... women and men are different, ESPECIALLY when it comes to motivation...

tell a guy that he's the weakest POS you've ever seen and that he's doing half what every guy in there is doing, he'll give you an extra 5lbs everytime...

Tell a female that, and they will shut down. Instead, females need to be reinforced and shown that they are improving... tell them they are looking better and are getting stronger, and they will put forth their best effort.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2007/08/08, 02:59 AM
Ummm.. now is my turn to disagree. First off, not all women are that way Steve, in general yes some are but not all. I happen to know a lot of women to piss talk each other just as the men do and I happen to be one of them. Furthermore I happen to know men that need to be reinforced and shown that they are improving.

I think it just depends on each individual.

--------------
Bettia

You Get What You Train For!
- Unknown
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2007/08/08, 03:12 AM

============
Quoting from Dans1girl:

what do I do?
=============

To say it bluntly:

Do it for yourself and your own personal reasons, and screw everybody else.

--------------
Michael

Humble, even in Victory.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/08/08, 12:15 PM
Nicely put by Michael. Keep focused on your end result. Bodybuilding or maybe put better physique altering is not a 'team' sport. It is very individualistic. Goals are determined by the individual (you), not someone else. Do what works for you.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

dans1girl
dans1girl
United States
2007/08/24, 07:30 PM
I am definitely not "sensative" I am a Desert Storm Veteran, I am a 3rd degree black belt in Taekwondo, and I own my own Martial arts dojo. I AM new to weightlifting. She was NOT being competative, she was trying to "one Up" me constantly. It was irritating. I can handle piss talk but not constant one upmanship.

NOTE: we have parted ways and my hubby is now my training partner. perfect!!!!

============
Quoting from ravenbeauty:

Ummm.. now is my turn to disagree. First off, not all women are that way Steve, in general yes some are but not all. I happen to know a lot of women to piss talk each other just as the men do and I happen to be one of them. Furthermore I happen to know men that need to be reinforced and shown that they are improving.

I think it just depends on each individual.

=============