Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Breakfast cereals

josmit
josmit
Canada
2007/03/21, 03:03 AM
Hey,
I love cereal and I would eat it for every meal if I thought it was healthy. However, I do have it for breakfast and usually some other meal or snack during the day. I am wondering if this is a good source of carbs. I usually have wheatabix with protein powder for breakfast and harvest cruch with fruit for some other meal. I am also wondering if anyone has suggestions for healthy breakfast cerials.
Thanks
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2007/03/21, 03:49 AM
The Best is Oatmeal and not the packets with sugars but the Tubs or scoop your own bins of Oat, I like Quick Oats the best.

Kashi Go Lean is another Great choice for a cold cereal.

Cream of Rice is said to be good and any non sugared Ban Cereal, Wheat, and Corn.

Total Cereal I believe is to be the TOPS of the Cold Cereals because it has the most vitamins.

A Raisin Bran is Great too if your not on strict diet trying to get super low body fat%.

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
jaytori129
jaytori129
United States
2007/03/21, 10:18 AM
if you want a true cold cereal go with total(any variety), also special K (any variety) both are whole grain but if you dont like the wheat based taste of total then special K rice based taste is a welcome alternative both are loaded with votamins and low carbs
josmit
josmit
Canada
2007/03/21, 02:29 PM
Do do eat rolled oats but it put them in my protein shakes. Thanks for the Ideas.
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2007/03/21, 03:01 PM
Jay, I have never heard anyone tout these two cereals as being especially healthy. I had to check out the ingredients, so I guess one can decide for themselves (both have added sugar and corn syrup, Special K doesn't state being whole grain anything). The vitamins are added, not sure what their true value is.

Special K:

INGREDIENTS: RICE, WHEAT GLUTEN, SUGAR, DEFATTED WHEAT GERM, SALT, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, DRIED WHEY, MALT FLAVORING, CALCIUM CASEINATE,

Total:
Ingredients: whole grain wheat, sugar, calcium carbonate, whole grain brown rice, corn syrup, salt, lactose, monoglcerides, vitamin C (sodium ascorbate), beet juice concentrate and annatto extract color, zinc and iron (mineral nutrients), vitamin E (topopheryl acetate), a B vitamin (niacinamide), a B vitamin (calcium pantothenate), vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B1 (thiamin mononitrate), a B vitamin (folic acid), vitamin A (palmitate), vitamin B12, vitamin D. Freshness preserved by BHT. Contains wheat ingredients.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/03/21, 03:15 PM
Go with the Kashi. It's awesome.

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

- One should not lift like a man or a woman, lift like a human.
conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/03/21, 03:30 PM
I like shredded wheat :)
216chinook
216chinook
Canada
2007/03/21, 03:49 PM
I start every second morning with a bowl of Kellogg's Vector. Looks like cereal, tastes like cereal, sold in the cereal aisle at Safeways. The box does not say cereal instead its a meal replacement.

--------------
The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking.

Albert Einstein (1879–1955)

flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2007/03/21, 04:26 PM
My vote is for kashi GoLean...love it. I even add mixed berries and almonds to it. It's my "I'm in too much of a hurry to cook eggs breakfast" I like the fact that it has protien in it.
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2007/03/21, 09:34 PM
I think Total is GREAT even with the small amount of sugar in it and I believe it to be totally healthy.

If your not trying to get body fat real low I'd go for it I know many people that hold 11% BF and Eat Raisin Bran and or Total.

============
Quoting from msmogreen:

Jay, I have never heard anyone tout these two cereals as being especially healthy. I had to check out the ingredients, so I guess one can decide for themselves (both have added sugar and corn syrup, Special K doesn't state being whole grain anything). The vitamins are added, not sure what their true value is.

Special K:

INGREDIENTS: RICE, WHEAT GLUTEN, SUGAR, DEFATTED WHEAT GERM, SALT, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, DRIED WHEY, MALT FLAVORING, CALCIUM CASEINATE,

Total:
Ingredients: whole grain wheat, sugar, calcium carbonate, whole grain brown rice, corn syrup, salt, lactose, monoglcerides, vitamin C (sodium ascorbate), beet juice concentrate and annatto extract color, zinc and iron (mineral nutrients), vitamin E (topopheryl acetate), a B vitamin (niacinamide), a B vitamin (calcium pantothenate), vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B1 (thiamin mononitrate), a B vitamin (folic acid), vitamin A (palmitate), vitamin B12, vitamin D. Freshness preserved by BHT. Contains wheat ingredients.
=============

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2007/03/22, 12:24 PM
The Total does sound like it is a much better choice than the Special K.
jaytori129
jaytori129
United States
2007/03/22, 01:27 PM
i was simply stating it is a good alternative for those who cant stand the wheat based flavor of total's flakes...I personally avoid cereals altogether even the good ones have sugars I keep it to the good old egg white and fat free mozz omelet
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/03/23, 09:24 AM
Sugar AND high fructose corn syrup... i will stick with my oat bran or oats - one ingredient only... Oats

--------------

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

jslee21
jslee21
United States
2007/03/26, 04:08 PM
I just bougth some Uncle Sam's cereal that seems to have a pretty good nutritiona profile and taste is decent. I bought the original but they also have a berry version.
jonnnyko
jonnnyko
United States
2007/04/02, 11:11 AM
Kashi Go Lean Crunch with Honey & Almonds is amazing, add some banana and it's even better. I recently tried Weight Watchers Cinnamon Cluster Crunch and think its horrible, cereal tastes like dried foam with an odd overwhelming taste of cinnamon.

--------------
Jonathan (jonnnyko@hotmail.com)
*** Nothing Is Real but Pain Now ***
Big-E
Big-E
United States
2007/04/07, 01:37 PM
Kashi Go Lean was the cereal I would most often pick up, but the store I go to is out of it often so I have to commonly look for alternatives. Kashi Go Lean Crunch is awesome but even higher in calories. I just tried Kellogg's Special K Protein Plus. It has 1/2 the calories but does not taste like it! Give them all a try, they are all good.
flhx2006
flhx2006
United States
2007/04/09, 10:25 PM
I like to mix up some of the 'good' cereals. I change them occassionaly for variety. My mixes consist of Uncle Sam, Fiber One, Grape Nuts Granola, and something Kashi. I put them in a Body Building shake bottle and use it as a snack or filler while driving. Nutrious with your fiber and some vitamins and keeps that craving feeling away.....
Madison_vanilla
Madison_vanilla
United States
2007/04/10, 05:40 PM
I despise Kashi go lean, and that weight watchers cinnamon stuff is bad too. However, there is one called Protein Crunch or Energy start thats really good. Its organic, actually has a decent amount of protein and fiber. They sell it at trader joes and the regular store. Theres not a ton of sugar, and it actually is good.
josmit
josmit
Canada
2007/04/14, 05:09 PM
So after my research I have decided to stick with the wheatabix and I have added muesli with fruit as another meal. Both have a lot of carbs and very little suggar. Also, chocolate protein powder tastes good in both if you dont use too much...just for your information...
Reddy
Reddy
United States
2007/04/18, 02:02 PM
I heard a research project where they divide mice into 3 groups - one control, one group subdivided into 4 smaller groups which got the most poplaur heathly cereals at the time, & the last group got to eat the box

the cereal groups all died within 2 weeks the box group lived 4 weeks

so that tells me to eat the box & not the cereal:big_smile:

--------------
Reddy

All people smile in the same language