Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Dead Shoulders Normal?

Hounds11
Hounds11
United States
2007/12/18, 05:02 PM
OK, I just got back from the gym around 3 hours ago. My shoulders are still leaden/sore. I'm not sure if I worked out too hard or if this is just normal for someone who has very little muscle and has been sedentary for the past two years or so.

From what I've read, I should be pushing the weight training until I can't do any more on the last rep of the last set, correct? (I started out too heavy in the early sets and had to reduce significantly in the last couple. I was also shaking and barely able to lift the barbells on the last couple of reps of the last couple of sets. It was kinda embarrassing as here I am shaking and struggling to lift these old granny mini barbells, but whadayagonnado, eh?)

I'm not in pain at all, but I am certainly very very sore. Is this how the muscle groups should be feeling after every workout when someone is just starting or am I going overboard?

Thanks! :big_smile:
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/12/18, 09:11 PM
There are times when that can be beneficial, but as a general rule of thumb for most of the year I'd call that overdoing it.
Hounds11
Hounds11
United States
2007/12/18, 09:16 PM
k, thx ec... i'll just cowboy up and fight through the embarassment while pumping the 5 lb. barbells. maybe i can talk one of the senior ladies into a lift off? :cool:
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/12/18, 09:23 PM
Nothing wrong with starting light and doing it right my friend. Take some hard earned knowledge and back off a bit. LOL the strength will come trust me! Good luck!

--------------
As a quarter squatter was dominating the rack, I heard a conversation between an old powerlifter (easily in his 60\\'s) and what I would guess was his grandson (15-yrs old):

Kid: \\"So, why does he stop so short on his squats? That looks weird to me.\\"

Old PL\\'er: \\"He\\'s afraid if he squats deep, his vagina might touch the ground.\\"

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/12/18, 10:06 PM
The shaking comes from not having the neuro-muscular control to stabilize the weight, that will come quickly.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2007/12/19, 11:40 AM
Thats pretty funny Hounds! Don't worry about those light weights. It's much better to start lighter and use good form. In fact, I'd say that probably %75 of the people in my gym could use that advice. It has always amused me to see a smaller guy than me "upstage" me with heavier weights by turning his whole body into a lever!
Anyway, you're on the right track. At least a granny only has to give you a lift-off. I had to have a young gal come over from the treadmills(in front of a bunch of guys) and help me lift a barbell off my chest when I tried to bench press an amount that exceeded my ability ha,ha,ha,..
Hounds11
Hounds11
United States
2007/12/19, 08:50 PM
lol returnofplex! that's one of the reasons i'm sticking to machines except for barbells at the moment. i separated my shoulder snowboarding a few years ago and my left arm is nowhere near as strong as my right now. i totally don't trust myself benching free weights.

oh, and i've totally screwed myself for tomorrow by over doing it on tuesday. i highly doubt i'm going to be able to do the chest exercises scheduled for tomorrow because my triceps are still way sore. ah well, live and learn i s'pose.... i'll just make it a serious cardio day maybe.

thanks for the replies everyone! they're much appreciated...