Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

Sleep aids

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/08/10, 09:37 AM
I need help Iron Bros and Sisters! I need some ideas as to natural things to help fall asleep with. I am taking melatonin and it seems to not be working. Teas, supplements etc?

--------------
Curl Jockeys, get outta the squat rack!

I wish everyone would get a partial amnesia and never use 'tone' ever again. (thanks Menance)

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
tuin
tuin
Mexico
2007/08/10, 10:49 AM
I have heard lettuce helps....

I have tried to include green leafs in my last meal of the day... though i hadnt had problem with my sleeping... so i couldnt tell if its true or not...

Good luck man... it really sucks when you cant sleep well
thepoohguy
thepoohguy
United States
2007/08/10, 10:56 AM
Maybe your least protein of the day should be turkey. It has natural enzymes that help people fall asleep. That's why everyone naps so well on Thanksgiving.
2007/08/10, 11:44 AM
Mutt dont bother with this one, this is just not true. Plenty of research on this - I will not waste your time with the whys - that is what google is for.

============
Quoting from thepoohguy:

Maybe your least protein of the day should be turkey. It has natural enzymes that help people fall asleep. That's why everyone naps so well on Thanksgiving.
=============

--------------
Those who want tolerance must be tolerant to intolerance.
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2007/08/10, 02:34 PM
ZMA - puts me out nicely every night. melatonin work good too.
thepoohguy
thepoohguy
United States
2007/08/10, 02:52 PM
Sorry. Chalk this up to an urban legend I never knew was proved wrong.

From kidshealth.org:
Turkey meat contains a lot of an amino acid called L-tryptophan (say: el-trip-teh-fan). Amino acids are the "building blocks" for the proteins that make up our muscles and other important parts of our bodies. (L-tryptophan is just one kind of amino acid ? there are many different kinds of amino acids in the foods we eat.)

When we eat foods that contain L-tryptophan, this amino acid travels in the blood from the digestive system and later enters the brain. The brain then changes the L-tryptophan into another chemical called serotonin (say: sare-uh-toh-nin). Serotonin calms us down and helps us sleep.

But scientists now know that L-tryptophan can really only make a person tired right away if it is eaten or taken by itself without any amino acids. And the protein in turkey contains plenty of other amino acids!

============
Quoting from KA:

Mutt dont bother with this one, this is just not true. Plenty of research on this - I will not waste your time with the whys - that is what google is for.

=============
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2007/08/10, 02:55 PM
melatonin - work for me if I pass out within an hour of taking. Otherwise I am up all night. Maybe this is problem.
immovablestone
immovablestone
United States
2007/08/10, 04:25 PM
You could try valerian root, that worked for me briefly. I have chronic insomnia and have tried just about everything save pharmaceuticals (which I wont). I had to take about 4 times the dosage, but it worked until my body adapted to it, might work for you. You can find it anywhere herbals are sold.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/08/10, 04:53 PM
zma really seems to help me, even when prescription aids didn't. That and having a COMPLETELY pitch black room.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/08/11, 12:50 PM
zma where can i get some?

--------------
Curl Jockeys, get outta the squat rack!

I wish everyone would get a partial amnesia and never use 'tone' ever again. (thanks Menance)

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2007/08/11, 01:20 PM
I get it from biotest

http://www.t-nation.com/onlineStore.jsp

but you can probably find it in something like a GNC
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2007/08/11, 03:31 PM
ZMA is also what I would suggest. The brands are all about the same. The main ingredients are usually made by SNAC Systems, Inc then bottled under a different name. This is pretty cheap:

http://www.massnutrition.com/products.cfm?cur_man=OPTIMUMNUTRITION&item=OP056

It's worth a shot...

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2007/08/12, 11:29 PM
you can get it at a really low cost at http://www.vitaminworld.com

or for a cheaper alternative, just take the combination of the dosages of it's minerals and vitamin B6: 30mg of Zinc and 450mg of Magnesium. Take these three 30 to 60 minutes before bed and you should be good to go.

I did it that way for a while and it worked just as well as the actual ZMA product itself.

--------------
Bettia

You Get What You Train For!
- Unknown
slorbets
slorbets
Canada
2007/08/13, 05:01 PM
Other than nutrition, if you are having troubles sleeping, a warm bath helps put you to sleep...use your bed for sleeping and love making only so that you train your brain/body to sleep when you get to bed.

taking a pill to put you to sleep is not a great idea, because if you take it for to long your body will get used to it, and you will begin to have troubles sleeping without it. Only take something for a night or two if your having troubles sleeping....

If you are having troubles sleeping for more than 2 weeks, go see a doctor...it may be insomnia or another sleep related issue.

P.S. I also heard that warm milk puts you to sleep...but i dont know if this is another one of those urban legands or not.