Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Jesse Marunde died at 27 last night

2007/07/26, 08:57 AM
http://www.marunde-muscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8562&page=1&pp=10

My condolences are with his family.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/07/26, 09:04 AM
What?

--------------
Curl Jockeys, get outta the squat rack!

I wish everyone would get a partial amnesia and never use 'tone' ever again. (thanks Menance)

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
georgiagirl
georgiagirl
United States
2007/07/26, 09:07 AM
Prayers are sent.

--------------
My Catahoula did it.

I saw a book titled "Sex for Dummies" and wondered why
anyone would teach dumb people how to reproduce?
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/07/26, 09:12 AM
Dammm He was going to be so good I feel so bad for his family my thoguhts and prayers go out to his people

--------------
Curl Jockeys, get outta the squat rack!

I wish everyone would get a partial amnesia and never use 'tone' ever again. (thanks Menance)

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
2007/07/26, 09:19 AM
He supposedly died during a set of squats from a massive heart attack.

http://www.marunde-muscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8551

this was his planned workout yesterday...

A real shame.
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2007/07/26, 09:56 AM
Wow... quite a shock.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/07/26, 06:53 PM
wow and only 3 years older than me...

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

You have to learn to follow, before you can lead.
2007/07/26, 08:51 PM
http://www.marunde-muscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8564&page=1

what happened during the workout from a person there with him.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/07/27, 10:41 AM
Dude...insane...just insane.

Scary, too. I've had a few intense workouts that I've had to lay down and felt really weak/sick/dizzy after it- never thought I would die though. You guys know--those times when you've pushed so hard that your heart rate is up for a good while after you're done--scary crap

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

jbennett
jbennett
United States
2007/07/27, 11:25 AM
If there's an autopsy, I'll be curious to see what they find. Guys (and gals) push it to the limit everyday. You never really here of anyone else dying this way - especially at age 27! Was he on any meds? Did he have a pre-existing condition, known or unknown? Was this a result of a sudden change in blood pressure when he laid down on the floor after his training session? There are a lot of unanswered questions thus far...

--------------
--JBennett
tuin
tuin
Mexico
2007/07/27, 12:48 PM
same things i thought about jbennett...

same "mystery" as that of when other young guys just die in the training camps... soccer, baseball...

--------------
∫๏ябع
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/07/28, 09:33 PM
One of the greatest, both as a competitor and a person. He had a recent birth in the family too, with Callie giving birth to his son only one month ago.

I had never met Jesse, but have talked to him over the phone and internet. He had gone out of his way and made great donations to our upcoming contest. Having taken 3rd at the vegas after coming off a knee injury, I had him as my pick to win the wsm. I was hoping to make it to sequim in order to train with him next year.

As far as I know, he did not have any pre-exhisting condition, and his diet was incredible (grass fed beef, veggies, metrx shakes made up most of it). He was well over 300lbs.

I understand exactly what many people consider a "mystery". Jesse never allowed talk of banned substances on his message board, and I will not tolerate it here. Anyone who feels the need to insinuate a connection between this and his death and I will do my best to make sure you never post on this board again.

My prayers go out to Callie and the rest of the Marunde family.

Dia duit.

--------------
Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2007/07/29, 09:21 AM
============
Quoting from wrestler125:

Jesse never allowed talk of banned substances on his message board, and I will not tolerate it here. Anyone who feels the need to insinuate a connection between this and his death and I will do my best to make sure you never post on this board again.
=============

Is this a general post or are you directing this toward someone in particular?

--------------
--JBennett
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/07/29, 11:26 AM
It's a general post, to prevent this from going where things tend to go.

--------------
Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2007/07/29, 11:44 AM
The one's who automatically speculate about illegal substances when an athlete dies are extremely ignorant individuals. Let's wait until the autopy results (if they're ever publicized)...

--------------
--JBennett
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2007/07/29, 01:09 PM
http://www.sequimgazette.com/Article/articleDetail.exm/Index/article/2007-07-26_SEQUIM_WEIGHT_LIFTER_DIES/
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/07/30, 06:20 PM
http://www.marunde-muscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8565

Memorial service will be on wednesday, unfortunately it will be in Sequim so I will be unable to attend, but have sent flowers and my regards, though that may not mean anything.

However, for those of you that would like to, you may make donations to the Jesse Marunde Memorial Fund if you care to. I plan on doing it so as soon as I get my bank statement and figure out what I can make. For anyone that participates in strength sports, I'd like to ask not that you give, but that you give BACK.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
cholestrol
cholestrol
Australia
2007/08/01, 06:06 AM
Man why do so many strength athletes always die young. I check out many other strength forums over the net, always someone has died, especially the good young athletes.
This world is just not fair.

rest in peace!!!!
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2007/08/04, 02:31 AM
A nice follow up article as to what his training team is doing in his physical absence in today's Seattle Times.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/othersports/2003819394_strongman030.html

--------------
Bettia

You Get What You Train For!
- Unknown
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/11/19, 12:47 AM
Figured I'd post this in case anyone missed it when it came out. No trace of steroids was found in his system.

http://www.sequimgazette.com/Article/articleDetail.exm/Index/article/2007-09-19_MARUNDE_DIED_FROM_HEART_DISORDER/

MARUNDE DIED FROM HEART DISORDER

Wife says enlarged heart contributed to Strongman's death

By Michael Dashiell
Staff writer

Jesse Marunde, a Sequim resident who competed in Strongman competitions nationally and worldwide, died from an enlarged heart condition, his wife said last week.

Marunde collapsed July 25 after a training session. Despite attempts of CPR on the scene by friends and medical workers, Marunde died on the scene.

Callie Marunde, Jesse's wife, said her husband died from arrhythmia, or irregular heartbeat or abnormal heart rhythm, after his workout because of an enlarged heart muscle.

Known as hypertrophic myocardium, Marunde's condition is a relatively rare genetic disease (one in 500 to one in 1,000) that, is 'the single most common cause of sudden death in otherwise healthy young people,' according to doctors from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.

The disease usually develops during adolescence during the period of rapid body growth but it may be present in childhood or even before birth, institute doctors said.

Callie Marunde said the family found one of Jesse's relatives had died at age 21 from a heart attack.

She said the autopsy and toxicology reports the family asked for in her husband's death documents that are closed in Washington state to all but a few select persons (family members, the attending physician, law enforcement officials) clearly showed hypertrophic myocardium as cause of death.

Although the disease often isn't found for years and may not be a problem for people with moderate exercise habits, Jesse Marunde's routine was anything but moderate.

"His heart has to work so much more," Callie Marunde said. "With the increased heart rate, it couldn't handle the workload."

She said if Jesse had to die that she felt fortunate it happened in Sequim rather than in a competition overseas and that he got so see their daughter (Jessica Joy) be born.

Marunde became a dominant figure in Strongman competitions, finishing second in the 2005 MetRx World's Strongest Man.

He also ran a gym in town with Callie and was personal trainer and workout partner for dozens of locals. He brought top athletes to Sequim for a Strongman competition at the Irrigation Festival each year.

After double knee surgery last year, one to repair a knee, the other an elective surgery to return to Strongman competitions he was planning another run at the World's Strongest Man contest in Anaheim, Calif.

This summer, after a third-place finish at the Venice Beach Grand Prix, he qualified for the 2007 WSM event.

On July 25, he finished a series of squat sets, a 600-pound flip and 265-pound stone lift/load, according to workout partner John 'Sarge' Allen, who described the routine workout on Marunde-Muscle.com the couple's Web
site.

After his workout, Marunde lay on his back and workout partners noticed his breathing became labored, Allen recalled. He became incoherent and stopped breathing.

He was 27 years old.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk