Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Protein in EGG - I didn't know this!!!!

nexus14
nexus14
United States
2007/07/16, 09:48 AM
I eat eggs everyday. I boil them, I make omelets with them, I use them in my protein shake etc. etc.
But when I say I use/consume eggs, this means mainly EGG WHITE. I reduce or completely eliminate egg yolks most of the time.
The other day a friend of mine told me that egg yolk contains as much protein as the white does. I rejected, but he insisted. And he added that it does contain lots of protein but at the same time Fat and cholesterol. So he said, that's why some people don't eat egg yolks.
I didn't not argue with him because what I knew was only what I heard. I never read what I know anywhere.
So today I did a quick online search and found out that he was somewhat right. Per what I read, egg yolk contains almost half of the protein, plus almost the total fat and cholesterol.
I would always think that egg white contains the whole protein and egg yolk contains the total fat and cholesterol. We know that a large egg contains about 7 grams of protein. And everytime I eat egg white, I would consider getting 7 grams of protein but actually, I am getting 7/2=3.5 grams of protein because most of the time I remove the yolk.

Is this right? Or am I missing something here?

I appreciate any input.
Thanks
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/07/16, 09:53 AM
yup that is right the TOTAL protein in an egg is made from BOTH egg white and yolk. Unless you have a bad problem with fat and cholestrol eating a coupl of whole eggs a day is not going to hurt you.

--------------
Curl Jockeys, get outta the squat rack!

I wish everyone would get a partial amnesia and never use 'tone' ever again. (thanks Menance)

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
nexus14
nexus14
United States
2007/07/16, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the input.
When body builders talk about eggs, they make it very specific that what they are talking about is egg whites not egg yolks. So I have been following it for years and consume average of one egg yolk with 2-3 whites per day. Now, I will consider eating some more yolks as I have no cholesterol or fat problem.
I am trying to gain...
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/07/16, 11:10 AM
I eat the WHOLE egg... usually a dozen a week or so. I'm too frugal to toss the yolk or buy just the whites. :)
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/07/16, 12:53 PM
I agree with Tim, I feel wasteful when I throw out the yolks. Plus with the price of eggs going up, I'm downright cheap too.
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2007/07/16, 01:51 PM
I show no mercy. I go through about 4 to 5 dozen eggs per week. I don't remove the yolks. And, yes, my cholesterol is fine. In fact, cholesterol is not as bad as most people think it is - unless, of course, you have a genetic predisposition to having issues with it. People always tell me I need to be a farmer with chickens (for the eggs and meat) and cows (for milk and steak).

If you want to find the nutritional value of just the yolk or just the white, try this:

http://www24.netrition.com/cgi/foods.cgi

I've been using that site for years, mostly to find the approximate nutritional value of new recipes.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
nexus14
nexus14
United States
2007/07/16, 10:23 PM
Wow!.. I was thinking that I was doing wrong when including one or two egg yolks in my omelets. Looks like people do not worry much about it.

I wanted ask one more thing. How do you guys feel about consuming raw eggs? I use raw egg whites(I guess I should use whole eggs from now on) for protein shakes. I am sometimes concerned though due to salmonella issue. I was adviced many times that consuming raw eggs is somewhat risky.
Do you guys consume raw eggs?

Thanks...

Hey jbennet, Thanks for the website man! It is really cool...

jbennett
jbennett
United States
2007/07/16, 10:58 PM
NO RAW EGGS!!!

And your welcome for the site...
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2007/07/17, 10:14 PM
Raw Egg white are Great but the Yolks aren't, you'll have to cook the Yolks!

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/07/18, 08:31 AM
Is the salmonella risk different between the white and the yolk?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/07/18, 08:42 AM
Also - some of the nutrients in the yolk help you to digest the protein better....

The risk of salmonella is both parts - if you want raw eggs for a recipe look for pasteurized eggs.

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

nexus14
nexus14
United States
2007/07/18, 05:29 PM
Is it true that protein quality will reduce when the yolk is cooked?

In other words, does the raw egg have any advantage(s) over the cooked one?

jbennett
jbennett
United States
2007/07/18, 06:13 PM
You can digest the cooked egg more completely vs the raw. COOK YOUR EGGS!

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/07/25, 06:31 AM
Research unscrambles the egg-cholesterol myth: eating them every day is OK
Provided by: Canadian Press
Written by: JUDY CREIGHTON
Jul. 24, 2007

Devilled Eggs are shown in this undated handout photo. (CP PHOTO/ HO, Egg Farmers of Canada)

(CP) - After 40 years, the egg-cholesterol myth still has legs, albeit they're a little shaky. Recent research has shown that there is no limit to the number of eggs a healthy adult can eat in a week.

"What it comes down to is an understanding that it's not cholesterol in food that raises blood cholesterol," says nutritionist Wendy Hiebert. "It's fat, particularly saturated and trans fat."

The studies show that fats in foods - not the cholesterol naturally found in foods such as egg yolks, meat, fish, poultry and milk products - increase blood cholesterol and the risk of heart disease.

"Saturated and trans fats are found in foods such as pastries, whipped toppings and many prepackaged foods," says Hiebert. "Eggs are low in saturated fat (there's 1.5 grams in one large egg) and do not contain any trans fat."

She adds that the recently revised Canada's Food Guide to Healthy Eating "considers a two-egg serving in the meat and alternatives food group. It used to be one to two, but now it is two."

Food shoppers have a few more decisions to make when buying eggs, Hiebert adds.

"When it comes to organic eggs, it's important that consumers realize that they aren't getting any better nutritional value from them," she says. "They are just getting eggs where the chicken that laid the egg isn't getting any feed that has had fertilizers, pesticides or insecticides for three years."

She adds: "Some people say there is a difference in taste, but that is very subjective because the nutrition and quality are the same between regular and organic eggs."

Nearly all of the essential nutrients required by a body are found in an egg.

In fact, says Hiebert, eggs provide a number of heart-healthy nutrients such as folate, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, vitamin B12 and antioxidants such as lutein.

Eggs fortified with additional omega-3 fatty acids are rising in popularity, she says. They represent approximately 12 per cent of egg sales in Canada.

Egg consumption "has been fairly steady over the past 10 years, averaging between 15 and 16 dozen per capita per year since 1996."

Hiebert adds that the specialty egg market (which represents eggs other than classic white and brown - e.g., omega 5, free-range, organic) continues to grow in Canada and now represents 14.4 per cent of all egg sales.

Because of the Free Trade Agreement with the U.S., eggs coming into Canada from that country are labelled USDA and are mainly found in large supermarkets, she says.

How do Canadians like to cook their eggs?

"In informal polls we've done," says Hiebert, "scrambled usually wins hands down as the favourite way to eat eggs, especially with kids, and fried eggs are often a close second for adults."

A recent survey conducted by Egg Farmers of Ontario showed that 25.2 per cent of the respondents prefer scrambled, 24.4 per cent went for poached, 11.1 per cent fried, 10.7 per cent soft-cooked.

To limit the chance of a grey ring forming around the edge of the yolks and for more tender texture, Egg Farmers of Ontario has provided a guideline on how to make perfect hard-cooked eggs for summer picnics and snacks:

-Choose eggs that have been in the refrigerator for about a week. They will be easier to peel than fresh eggs but will still have the same taste and nutrient value.

-Place cold eggs in a single layer in a saucepan. Fill the saucepan so the eggs are covered with at least 2.5 cm (1 inch) of cold water.

Bring the water to a boil over high heat (lid on or off, as you wish). When the water reaches a boil, immediately cover the saucepan and remove it from the heat to stop the water from boiling.

Let the eggs stand in the water, covered, for 18 to 23 minutes (the eggs cook while standing in the boiled water). A large egg will take 18 to 20 minutes. Be sure to set a timer.

When the time is up, immediately drain off the water and run cold water over the eggs until they are cool to the touch.

For more tips, techniques and recipe ideas, visit www.getcracking.ca.

-

Judy Creighton welcomes letters at 9 Kinnell St., Hamilton, Ont. L8R 2J8, but cannot promise to answer all correspondence personally. She can also be reached by e-mail at jcreighton(at)golden.net.

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

\"He may be gone, but Sanjaya proved that it doesn\'t matter how talented you are - if you believe in yourself, you can annoy literally millions of people.\" Jimmy Kimmel
stevehwms
stevehwms
United States
2007/07/29, 04:07 PM
Thanks for those posts! I was jumping to the same conclusion and avoiding the yolks. My dog was reaping the benefits!
happygilmore
happygilmore
United States
2007/08/03, 02:34 AM
I am alittle confused as to why everyone says raw eggs are bad. I have been eating raw eggs for nearly 15 years with no adverse affects. As to the better digestion post by jbennett - It would be most helpful if he or someone else could explain this further or point me to a medical website that has some research on this information. Last I heard was that liquids absorb(digest) better and faster than solids - correct me if I'm wrong please.
nexus14
nexus14
United States
2007/08/03, 01:51 PM
I am a little confused too. I kinda stopped eating raw eggs since this thread and I am eating more yolks now. The only reason I stopped eating raw eggs is small risk of salmonella. Yes the risk is minimal but it is there. Other than that I too didn't understand much why cooked eggs have better advantage. I would think that protein quality is better in raw eggs, but looks like not...
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/08/03, 02:11 PM
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=raw+eggs&meta=

If you're up for some reading...

--------------

\"He may be gone, but Sanjaya proved that it doesn\'t matter how talented you are - if you believe in yourself, you can annoy literally millions of people.\" Jimmy Kimmel
happygilmore
happygilmore
United States
2007/08/06, 10:47 PM
the folling is an example of what I found using your link and it goes along with everything else I have found. 90% of the foods I eat are all raw foods including my eggs. This is only a small amount of info on the subject as to why it is very beneficial to eat only raw foods. Think about it we are the only animals on the planet that cooks their food and we have the highest rate of digestive disorders and cancers. Not to mention all the other chemicals we put in our foods. Cooking foods creates bad chemical reactions in our foods that turn most of our foods into carcinogens.

The process of cooking eggs destroy the very goodness that our bodies so desperately need as the nature of proteins and fats is altered when exposed to heat. When cooked, the egg protein changes its chemical shape; it is often this process that can be the cause of allergies. Generally when eating raw eggs, any incidence of egg allergy will disappear.

Surprisingly, in spite of ?bad press? raw eggs, organic or at least from a known source of healthy free-range chickens, are an excellent health tonic. The regular consumption of raw eggs will do wonders for your overall health. Exceptionally easy to digest, raw eggs provide a wonderful boost to the immune system, and a completely balanced nutritional package. A good immune system is one of several things the body needs to overcome cancer.

Many people?s diets are deficient in high quality proteins and fats, and eggs are one the very best sources of these. Raw eggs have many benefits, they contain essential nutrients for the brain, nerves, glands and hormones, they are nutritionally balanced, and we highly recommend the addition of raw eggs to your nutritional programme. The sulphur amino acids help to keep you young, raw eggs also contain an abundance of other vital substances including protein, essential fatty acids along with niacin, riboflavin, biotin, choline, vitamins A, D and E, magnesium, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, iron, iodine, copper, zinc and sulphur. Egg yolks are one of the few foods that contain vitamin D.

Poisoning from salmonella has been exaggerated in the past. A study by the U.S. Department of Agriculture in 2002 indicated that only 2.3 million, of the 69 billion eggs produced annually, are contaminated with salmonella. In other words 0.003% or 1 in every 30,000 eggs. The bulk of these come from battery chicken eggs and chickens kept in unhealthy conditions - only sick chickens lay salmonella contaminated eggs. If only healthy chicken eggs (organic and free range ideally) are consumed, then far less than one in 30,000 eggs are contaminated. Salmonella is a common micro-organism found almost everywhere, and is just as likely, or more likely, to proliferate on cooked food kept in the fridge. Infection is normally mild gastric symptoms, but in rare cases where the immune system is very low such in the elderly who have had much anti-biotic use, and the source is greatly contaminated, death can result. But such a person is highly lightly to contract one of many common micro-organisms and die from that. To give some perspective, in the highly unusual situation of contracting Salmonella, in a healthy person, an infection is nothing to worry about and is easily treated with high quality pro-biotics every half an hour until you feel better.
nexus14
nexus14
United States
2007/08/07, 09:47 AM
Well, I said I was a little confused before right?
Now, I am totally confused!...

yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/08/07, 12:12 PM
Well, you're gonna find positive and negative about eating raw. You find the same discussion about margarine and butter. I think it's likely inconclusive either way.

Me? I cook the damn things. But I do like an egg over easy.

t

--------------