Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Tricep fatigue....

ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/05/22, 08:35 AM
On chest day I am unable to reach what I feel I can do because my triceps always seem to give out. I don't have weak triceps, they just fatigue very quickly and don't recouperate fast.

For example I'll do a 5x5 set of incline bb bench, or 4 sets of 8,6,4,2 or something like that. By the time I move to a dumbbell movement or a second bb movement I always fail due to my triceps.
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/05/22, 08:39 AM
Other than my chest exercises I do shoulder presses (military and db usually) that utilize my triceps. For direct tricep work I tend to do cg bench, dips (if not done in with chest work), and skull crushers or french press.

Of all the parts of my workout this is holding me back the most. Other than just flat out doing more, what can I do to bring my triceps up? I hate having a bad day of chest workout due to my triceps.
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2007/05/22, 09:04 PM
Separate your tricep routine from your chest day (ex. switch your tricep and biceps workout days - biceps w/ chest, triceps w/ back). Do lighter weight on each set, but concentrate on really burning them out (12-15 intense reps). Do about 4-5 sets of each tri exercise. Separate your chest day and whatever day you want to do triceps by about 72 hours. Try this method for about 4-6 weeks and let me know how you're doing. I think you'll be happy with the results...
:dumbbell:

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/05/23, 08:20 AM
I didn't mean to make it sound like I do them on the same day.

I do a vertical push pull/horizontal push pull and then a leg/tricep day.

I've only combined the two a few times over the past few years, separation isn't the issue. The issue is just that they give out much much quicker than other muscles.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/05/23, 08:37 AM
How long do you rest between sets?

--------------

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

jbennett
jbennett
United States
2007/05/23, 08:57 AM
If you train triceps and chest on different days already, then just follow my suggestion in my previous post: 4-5 sets, higher reps, keep it intense.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/05/23, 11:43 AM
So then you're hitting triceps times a week, your specializing them. You're hitting them with good heavy movements (they are fast twitch muscles, respond well to heavy weight, dips, CG, sets of 2-6 reps). You're doing everything right to strengthen them.

Hitting them with higher reps like J mentioned will help them build up endurnance, preventing fatigue for longer.

However, if you have been training like this for a while, it could just be that your triceps are not recovering fully. Hitting them 3 three times a week isn't allowing much recovery time. Take a day week from horizontal pressing and
take off the day you are hitting legs/tris. This will let them fully recover. Then, you can start hitting them hard again.

--------------
Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/05/23, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll take a small rest period and then hit some higher reps.

Just to clarify, Jbennett you were talking about doing my tricep specific work at higher rep not all of it (bench, shoulder press, etc.) correct?