Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Best approach?

burgels
burgels
United States
2006/11/13, 10:58 AM
I'm reading "The new rules of lifting" by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove. Basically this and a lot of other things that I have read have me really rethinking what I need to be working on.

Here is what I think that I have learned.

interval training is good for burning calories

6 meals a day is good for metabolism

Creating a calorie deficit with weight training will burn fat but retain lean mass

fish oil is good for HDL cholesterol and better metabolism

protein is good for replacing breakdowns during lifting and retaining/gaining lean mass

isolation is bad, because the body doesn't work that way so why would lifting that way work?

compound is good because it works the body as it was meant to be used

periodization is good, because it doesn't allow your body to adjust and get "used" to a workout plan, and it stimulates better growth

rest days are good, because overtraining is bad.

I feel like at this point that I'm starting to get my goals confused. I really want to get my body fat down so that I can get a six pack, but I also want to increase my overall muscle mass. I can't create a calorie surplus and a calorie deficit at the same time, so I need to pick one and stick with it. My original goal was the 6 pack and the body fat % in single digits so I'll start with that.

That means, based on what I listed above that I need to start going back to my interval training class on mondays and wednesdays. However the other days of the week are the problem. I don't want to just lift twice a week but I don't want to skip the all important rest day either. Unless interval training counts as a rest day to weight training and vice versa….

For now I'll assume it does because I have to with my schedule. Please tell me if I'm wrong there..

I'm really hoping you have read the book I mentioned and can give me an opinion on the workouts he talks about, because I don't know where to start. I really want to focus on compound exercises and proper periodization. Should I just start with Fat Loss I, and move through all the Fat Loss programs in the book? I'm assuming that based on my goals at this point that that is the smart thing to do but I'm looking for some affirmation from you guys who know what you are doing.

At this point I want focus on doing whatever it takes to get my body fat % down so that I have a six pack and at that point I will start focusing on building more bulk. I just need to focus on one goal at a time.

So to recap, my questions are:

1. Can I use interval training as a weight training rest day and vice versa since I have a limited schedule.

2. Are Alwyn's Fat Loss programs the best use of my lifting time given my current goals.

3. Is focusing on one goal at a time the smart thing to do?

4. Am I an idiot or am I starting to figure this out?

Thanks
burgels
burgels
United States
2006/11/13, 11:02 AM
By the way I'm 29 6'2" and weight about 184 with a BF% of 13.85 as of last month.

Shane
burgels
burgels
United States
2006/11/14, 10:49 AM
Bump, still looking for some confirmation on this...
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/11/14, 10:59 AM
I always advise this: KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). Pick one goal, lose fat, gain mass and stick with it. Stop over thinking this. BB1fit Said this years ago: "Lift, Eat, Rest, Repeat!" It really is that simple. No go lift!

--------------
When I consider the short duration of my life, swallowed up in the eternity before and after, the little space which I fill and even can see, engulfed in the infinite immensity of spaces of which I am ignorant and which know me not, I am frightened and am astonished at being here rather than there; for there is no reason why here rather than there, why now rather than then. Who has put me here? By whose order and direction have this place and time been allotted to me? The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me.
Blaise Pascal

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/11/14, 11:07 AM
I agree with Mutt. Based on what you said in your original post, you have things pretty much figured out. Alwyns programs are sound, you want to start with loosing Fat, so going with his Fat Loss program makes sense. You won't know if it works for you until you do it....so just do it! Give it at least 8 weeks and then reasses your goals. As Mutt says KISS!

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
--------------
The harder you fall, the higher you bounce
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/11/15, 11:42 PM
I would start by bulking, with your particular stats.

This makes things simple if you are short on time at the moment, because then you can drop the interval work.

No HIIT can not replace weight training. When in doubt, choose weight training.

I think if you start on one of alwyn programs you will be surprised at how it changes your metabolism, especially as a beginner.

To be honest, the first half of your post sounds like you are getting a grasp. Now read it again.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/11/16, 07:46 AM
I don't think he meant can HIIT eplace weight training - he meant can he alterante days - HIIT one day and lifting the next.

You say Interval Class - if it involves weights - no you can't do it on 'rest' days. If you follow Alwyn's HIIT plan, yes you can do it on the days between lifting.

At 13% bodyfat - you can pick either goal, if you really want to be leaner right now, try the fat loss program - eventually you will preiodize into a gaining program again if you follow Alwyn's plan.

I think you will se good results with either right now, because you are at that point where you fat isn't too high, if you eat right and do the mass gain, you may get bigger and see a little more deefinition, if you eat right and do the fat loss, you might not get bigger, per se, but you will see more definition.

Remember - you can have the best workout plan in the world, but if you don't eat right and really apply yourslef, you won't get the results you are after.

Pick a goal, write it down and stick with it, then once you have reached the first goal, pick a new goal that excites your interest.

--------------

There is more to us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps for the rest of our lives we will be unwilling to settle for less.
Kurt Hahn
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/11/16, 11:39 AM
Oh. In that case, maybe. But still not a definate yes.

I would avoid HIIT when doing the lower rep training, any kind of HIGH INTENSITY training is nuerally taxing, as his low repetition training.

Also, don't train every day. You need a couple days a week to recover, no matter what you are doing.

"Pick a goal, write it down and stick with it, then once you have reached the first goal, pick a new goal that excites your interest."
~Could I possibly say how important this is? I don't think I could, so just assume this is the best advice you've recieved so far.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/11/16, 11:42 AM
I agree with the goal thing...nothing like hitting a goal to motivate you to get another one! LIke out Deadlifting young Steve!

--------------
Curl Jockeys, get outta the squat rack!
7707mutt@freetrainers.com
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/11/16, 05:13 PM
Too bad that won't happen. By the time you are at 100% I will be competiting at 175, and then you will never catch me.

Shoot for the stars though mutt.

--------------
Iron and chalk.