Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

best results

xxmisterbugyixx
xxmisterbugyixx
United States
2006/10/18, 07:31 PM
where is the best muscle mass accomplished? in the 4-8 rep range or 8-12 range???
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/19, 07:58 AM
mass is built through a variety of rep ranges, as rep range is another variable used to stimulate new growth. Some bodybuilders experience great growth on very high volume routines.(20 reps per set, even)

It all depends on your level of training and how you periodize your training, also your diet will have a lot to do with whether you gain muscle or not, as will the amount you rest. Your age, your genetics, many factors.

Generally, in training books, 4-8 is thought of as strength building (but it goes to reason that you will need to add muscle size for the additional strength), 8-12 for bodybuilding, 12-15 for fat loss (total misconception there, but that is a whole different post...).

As I said above, rep range is one of the variables you can manipulate to keep getting results.

--------------

I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor.
-Henry David Thoreau
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2006/10/19, 08:31 AM
Muscle mass is made in the kitchen. EAT!!!

When training, you have to use different rep ranges for different muscles. Muscles are composed of different types of fibers - fast twitch and slow twitch. Not every muscle has the same composition. You have to adjust the rep range depending on what muscle you're working.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
2006/10/19, 08:51 AM
I have made the biggest gains in muscle by training in the 3-8 rep range....pushing myself hard....and then eating a lot of healthy food....I think most people are overly concerned with rep ranges, time under tension, etc.....I say if you're looking for best gains then periodize .....

20 rep squats are a bit of a misnomer because you're really using a weight u can do 10-12 reps but you're pausing at the top getting a slight breather and keep going to 20....if you do them right they are brutal....
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/10/19, 09:02 AM
My best workout for legs (probably the best overall mass builder) was 6 sets of 6-8 reps. Then I put 225 on the bar and did 20 reps. Lets just say walking and sitting was not fun for a while after that. Menace is right used correctly 20rep squats can be brutal.

--------------
A journey begins with a single step.

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/10/19, 11:24 AM
9 times out of 10, if you are getting stronger, you are gaining muscle. If after 6-8 reps of a weight if you have not recruited max fast twitch fibers, chances are you will not. The object is to involve as many muscle fibers as possible in your training. As they adapt to training stimulant, they will grow with proper diet. Normally if you can do 20 reps with a weight, you need to increase the weight. It can be a 'shock' to the muscle periodically, but for the most part it will not result in added mass. That being said, 20 reps doing a rest/pause for instance is a different animal, and can be brutal.

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!