Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Ephedra

EvoV3
EvoV3
United States
2006/10/04, 12:29 AM
Where I can I buy this and is it really dangerous if I follow the instructions? I took this for 8mos before it was banned and I had not bad effects from it.
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/10/04, 08:31 AM
YES...it is dangerous.The long term affects on your heart are dangerous.It was bannned for a reason.
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2006/10/04, 08:39 AM
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this one, KC. Ephedra has been used for hundreds of years. Once people either started taking it for all the wrong reasons or in too high of doses and not heeding the warnings, that caused problems. Because people can't disciple and regulate themselves, the FDA stepped in and banned it.

Envov3, I'm sorry; I do not know where to get it.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/04, 08:51 AM
do a fit buddy search on ephedra - there has been a lot of discussion.

Barring pre-existing health conditions (which you may or may not be aware of) ephedra if safe if used correctly. the problem lies in the fact that you may not know you have a problem with it until it is too late.

What are your goals in using the eohedra - maybe you could find a different supplement or solution?

--------------

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
- Aristotle
2006/10/04, 09:02 AM
look around online i am sure some places still carry it..

http://www.evitamins.com/product.asp?pid=4323

ephedrine HCL-can get it online ^
pseudoephedrine HCL -still found in some cough medicines although very restricted now and have to be bought OTC at pharmacies only...

ECA stacks have been used with great success by many thousands of people. The reason it got banned is because a few idiots DID NOT read directions or misused it and then blamed the supplement which has been used for thousands of years with great success....

right now the E can be replaced with Ephedrine HCL....stacked with caffeine and aspirin it is still quite good...pseudoephedrine can be added for a little extra kick...

25mg of ephdrine
200mg of caffeine
81mg of aspirin

is good, you can add 30mg of pseudoephedrine for an extra kick....

again use common sense. Make sure you dont have any preexisting conditions which would prevent you from taking this supplement(family history of heart problems, etc, etc)....consult with a doctor if unsure...

again just because FDA bans something doesn't mean it's dangerous.....it's often due to plain hysteria and ignorance....
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/04, 09:13 AM
Yeah, sudafed has been restricted because it is used to make methamphetamine, now you have to ask the pharmacist and show id to get it. how ridiculous. The decrease in meth labs has been replaced by a flow of meth from mexico..that really helped.

--------------

- Aristotle
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/10/04, 09:24 AM
I took ephedra products..years ago...and literally felt like my heart would explode..granted...when I first took it I didn't have these issues...and yes when taken in correct doseages I was fine...the problem I had was it became addictive,and I surpassed the recommended dosage.I find it to be incredibly dangerous.So this is my personal opinion...the stuff is dangerous.I don't think I'm in the minority when I say I had no discipline with this stuff.But I honestly did not know...I didn't have a site like this I could go to and ask questions.My resting heart rate still,after not having taken it for several years,is elevated in comparison.If you are going to take this I think you should be monitored by a Dr,and be aware...it is addictive.This is my personal experience...just a regular person,that didn't have all of the knowledge you all do...like the majoriity of people on this site.I think it's playing with fire to say it was banned because of mass hysteria and ignorance.Most of us are not in nearly the physical shape you are...so for someone like me,as alot of people on this site are...this shouldn't be taken lightly...in my opinion.

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/10/04, 09:42 AM
I agree with KC it may be safe if you are a sane person that is following guidelines, but why play with fire?

--------------
A journey beigns with a single step.

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
2006/10/04, 08:28 PM
You are right. I am far and above the average person.....I am able to read and follow directions...so 1st grade level?

It just irritates the hell out of me when people say something is dangerous then openly admit they didnt follow directions and have no self control. Well the same is also true for just about any supplement.....take a bottle of tylenol and you'll likely kill yourself....or badly hurt your stomach.

It's not playing with fire when something is safe when taken properly. If someone told you that there's a 50% that you'll badly injure yourself by taking a product. In that case it will indeed be playing with fire, but there's no such thing with ephedra.

There are plenty of people who 'are under doctor's guidance' yet still disregard his/her directions and misuse drugs which are as dangerous as epherdra...

Felt like I was a crack addict ....last week buying some pseudoephedrine....freaking rediculous....

the government is run by a bunch of morons....bottom line....first they make PE to be sold to 18 and over, then only at the pharmacy, then you have to give your ID and cant buy over specific limit. ....i guess the few people who want the real deal will just get it from the net, canada,mexico, and india....I bet mexican drug dealers are high fiving each other now....

next we'll have some propoganda about how PE.....
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/10/04, 09:16 PM
OK...you know what...I don't even know what to say to that.

However right you are....I'm not the only idiot out there...

unfortuneatly for you I suppose....thanks for that menace...just what was in order for today.
EvoV3
EvoV3
United States
2006/10/04, 09:29 PM
Thanks you guy's, Like I said I felt Ephedra worked great in helping me loose weight and I understand it CAN be hamful if I don't follow the directions. When I took Ephedra in the past I would always take half of the recommendations because I wassent sure what it would do to me and I was hearing good and bad but I have nothing but good things to say about it.
Thanks again!
2006/10/05, 03:42 AM
KC didnt mean to single you out. I was saying it generally. I have heard many people openly admit they misused x supplement and got bad sideeffects and that always irks me. I just rather people use common sense than have government ignorantly jump in and say dumb things and then ban supplements under wrong impression.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/05, 07:59 AM
Kc - your resting heart rate is how high?

Being out of shape, cardiovascularwise, will increase your resting heart rate. Overtraining will increase your resting heart rate. Many things (hydration, stress...) will effect your resting heart rate, I don't know that you can attribute it to ephedra when it is out of your system.

Menace - try being covered in tattos and trying to buy ephedra..obviously I am a methhead:)

--------------

- Aristotle
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/05, 08:00 AM
dangit! *tattoos my fingers are not working this morning (must be the meth):angry:

--------------

- Aristotle
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/10/05, 08:08 AM
ahhh...this is a very good point amy....my resting heart rate is now 74-77...it used to be 68...before I took anything for "enhancements" ,I simply ran.So this may be true.And I can appreciate what you are saying menace..that if you abuse any product,ofcourse it is dangerous.If I had anybody tell me that it could be addictive...and what to watch for,I would have been much better off for it...that was what I was attempting to do...just a warning.I know better than to answer questions in these parts of the forums...I always get slapped down for not answering properly...but I keep doing it...a sucker for punishment I suppose.

And Amy...imagining you going in to buy ephedra...that did put a smile on my face today...I'd bet you make the pharmasist just a little nervous!!
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/10/05, 08:11 AM
Hell she makes me nervous! Kc do not sweat trying to answer a questions we all make mistakes and that is how we learn. Not a single one of us here knows it all (well maybe Amy and BB), so keep slugging away.

--------------
A journey beigns with a single step.

2006/10/05, 01:59 PM
lol asimmer

imagine my surprise when I had to show my ID at a pharmacy/store I work at.....and have them enter my data into the computer....it irritated the crap out of me...

almost as bad as having to card 80 year olds trying to buy cigarettes....

I personally dont care about people smoking, doing drugs, etc....natural selection process IMO....sounds a bit harsh but hey people do things despite knowing better....so instead of making it economically harder(raising prices) or banning things....let them do whatever...

ciggarettes have been around a much period of time and have killed more people than ephedra in 4,000 years of use. Hell in 1 year more people die of complications from smoking than of ephedra. However there's no famous pitcher who suddenly drops dead from smoking..... and no billion dollar industry behind ephedra(unlike cigs) to throw money at the politicians to keep it legal....Ditto for booze....

I think everyone should just be more selective in randomly accussing something of being harmful or dangerous...(educating oneself is a beautiful thing...and then there's google.com....)
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/10/05, 03:15 PM
You may not be singeling me out here...although it certainly feels that way...I wasn't "randomly" accusing...I was basing my opinion off of my own personal experience.You've made your point...although I disagree with you...I still find it dangerous...I respect your opinion as being well thought out.
2006/10/05, 06:24 PM
KC that's fine we can agree to disagree...I am glad that we share differing opinions and can debate...

Just want to point out that the flaw in your thinking is that you think E is dangerous b/c you got bad side effects but you got those side effects b/c u didnt follow directions. It then follows that if you follow directions E is not dangerous.

There are plenty of people taking steroids.....but alot of them hurt their health faster not with the steroids for example which are banned but with pain killers....which destroy their kidneys/liver....by this logic we should ban pain killers.....so no more tylenol, aleve, ibuprophen, etc....

KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/10/05, 08:15 PM
No...I must be not getting my point across right...which for me is not uncommon...I know that the bad side effects that I experienced were due to my own lack in judgement by not following the directions for use...I find it dangerous because for me...it became addictive...I find it dangerous because for me there was nobody at the GNC where I bought it to warn me that it may become addictive,to watch for warning signs that I may have become addicted...like having thoughts that one more than directed couldn't hurt...I understand why this thinking irks you,and many others...I truely do...but the point I was trying to make was there are many more like me...not having the same physique as you...not having the same education with regards to this type of supplement as you.I feel you are correct when you state why on earth are people taking this stuff,if they don't know what they're taking...however right you may be...it doesn't stop people from taking it,or getting it from GNC type places with NO support.So to just openly say yeah...it's fine...been around hundreds of years...just don't be an idiot and you'll be fine...but the majority of novices will say oh yeah ok I won't be an idiot...and go home and be an idiot...so I just think it is dangerous to suggest this stuff to anybody who is a novice...and doesn't have a full grasp on what they are putting into their bodies.

As far as pain killers...to me thats apples and oranges...one they aren't addictive...and two people take supplements to improve their bodies...which can be a major drive to go above and beyond what you should...people don't obsess over headaches like they do over having the "perfect body".

Third...I enjoy the oppurtunity to debate with you...I know you could talk circles around me..so I really do appreciate the effort...
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2006/10/05, 08:24 PM
KC... the high HR could be from you smoking? Check your HR 2 weeks from now, especially after starting Amy's Cardio Routine.

--------------
Thinking of a new signature line.

Ivan

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
2006/10/06, 07:18 AM
pain killers can be quite addictive....you'd be surprised....this is why people abuse them.....it can be not only physical but also mental...taking 8+ ibuprophens or tylenols etc a day for some phantom or real pain can put you on the way to dialysis quite fast....

i believe it's best to try to educate people instead of ban things outright...
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/10/06, 07:54 AM
Alright menace...you won me over.You're right...in fact I knew a girl that took ridiculous amounts of ibuprophin for phantom aches...I'd forgotton about her until just now.And you are right again...people should be educated instead of a banning....boy ...that was painful...I hate to admit when I'm wrong...but I do when I am. :)

As for my heart rate...I don't think so Ivan...only because I have been smoking since I was 13...I've smoked any time I've had an EKG or heart rate test...but I am looking forward to what it will be with amys traing AND quitting smoking...will be interesting.
dahayz
dahayz
United States
2006/10/19, 10:38 AM
Here's a tid bit of info for all, be careful about ordering ephedra products online (PA 261 MCL 333.7340). In Michigan, it is now a felony to order ephedrine or pseudoephedrine products on-line, through the mail, by telephone. Punishable by up to 4 years in prison:surprised:
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/19, 02:39 PM
Hey dahayz - how are you?

Wow - 4 years in prison for ordering ephedra? That is unreal.

can you still buy pseudoephedrine in the pharmacy?

--------------

AIM HIGH TIME FLIES
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/10/19, 02:52 PM
Yes but places like walmart have pulled them off the shelves and you need to get them from the pharmancy

--------------
Stop freaking talking about what you squat and SHOW ME WHAT YOU SQUAT!

2006/10/20, 09:34 AM
lmao....

dont know why that would be the case....not sure how that would hold up in court....neither of the substances is illegal....so I am guessing it will be challenged soon...

l-ephedrine HCL is included in asthma medications....good luck putting a guy in prison for 4 years for that...
pseudoephedrine is bloody cold medication...

I think pseudo and ephedrine HCL is restricted to...3.6g a day and 9g a month....tho ephedrine HCL is sold in a mix with other secondary drugs as well...like guaifenesin...

that makes little sense since ephedrine HCL is considerably more potent than pseudoephedrine...that just shows that our gov has no f- clue to what they are doing...

why are people in our government so f- retarded......
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/10/20, 09:53 AM
Well menace they pulled it off the shelves and made it illegal cause it is one of the main ingredients(spelling I know) for making MEth, and kids were buying the meds that have pseudoephedrine in it ( sinus meds) and if you take enough of it you can get a high. that is why.

--------------
Stop freaking talking about what you squat and SHOW ME WHAT YOU SQUAT!

2006/10/20, 06:59 PM
bah...they made it 18 and over before the other restrictions....so kids shouldnt have been able to buy it anymore than cigarettes...

so what just because some kids sniff glue we shouldnt be able to buy glue? it's backwards thinking....most of the meth comes from mexico and they will get it elsewhere...

our government cant seem to do anything right these days....except grill baseball players about steroids and restrict and criminalize cough medication......

adalos
adalos
United States
2006/10/20, 11:04 PM
i don't know much about ephedrine, so i'm curious what your recipe of 25mg of ephdrine, 200mg of caffeine, and 81mg of aspirin does. is it just a diet pill? what's the result from taking those things together every day?

============
Quoting from menace3000:

look around online i am sure some places still carry it..

http://www.evitamins.com/product.asp?pid=4323

ephedrine HCL-can get it online ^
pseudoephedrine HCL -still found in some cough medicines although very restricted now and have to be bought OTC at pharmacies only...

ECA stacks have been used with great success by many thousands of people. The reason it got banned is because a few idiots DID NOT read directions or misused it and then blamed the supplement which has been used for thousands of years with great success....

right now the E can be replaced with Ephedrine HCL....stacked with caffeine and aspirin it is still quite good...pseudoephedrine can be added for a little extra kick...

25mg of ephdrine
200mg of caffeine
81mg of aspirin

is good, you can add 30mg of pseudoephedrine for an extra kick....

again use common sense. Make sure you dont have any preexisting conditions which would prevent you from taking this supplement(family history of heart problems, etc, etc)....consult with a doctor if unsure...

again just because FDA bans something doesn't mean it's dangerous.....it's often due to plain hysteria and ignorance....
=============
TeresaMalia
TeresaMalia
United States
2006/10/21, 12:14 PM
I took Xenadrene (spelling?) with Ephedrine before the ban. I used it like the directions said and it helped me lose over 40 lbs in a little over 2 months. When I got used to it I stopped taking it and then the ban came. I gained back about 10 lbs in 3 years (my fault not the drug's) so I've just recently started using stacker 3s regularly again. I'm down close to 60lbs total and this has been over 3 years. I haven’t had any problems but I've also talked to my doctor about it and don’t have any conditions that would effect me taking it.

My advice, be careful. It's a drug and like any drug different people react differently. Also like any drug taking more than recommended is called over dosing…over dosing is bad! One of the biggest things that helped me lose weight on it is I stopped drinking sodas. The added caffeine made my heart race too much and scared me.
TeresaMalia
TeresaMalia
United States
2006/10/21, 12:26 PM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
2006/10/22, 05:15 AM
it can be used for weight loss....it's also useful for endurance/strength....