Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Recipes - eggs and breakfast foods

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/01/09, 04:16 PM
Oatmeal is so fast and easy - but make sure you use plain oats and flavor it up yourself - the flavored types are full of sugar!

Some of my favorite things to add to my oats before microwaving:

pumpkin pie spice

cinnamon

frozen dark, unsweetened, pitted cherries

vanilla extract

splenda

For toppings - it really rounds out the flavor if you spray a little I Can't believe it's not butter on top and then drizzle a little sugar-free or real maple syrup on top. MMMM. Comfort food.

--------------
You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be.
- David Viscott

mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/01/09, 08:07 PM
Or you can do it the lazy way. I just add mine to water and protein powder the night before. It's soft and ready to sip at on the way into work in the morning. It even saves energy since I don't have to use the stove. :)

--------------
Mike
in Pensacola Now.
dnold
dnold
United States
2006/01/09, 08:49 PM
For an oatmeal texture change try both old fashioned oats and quick oats. They have a different texture when coked in the microwave. Also add chopped almonds or other nuts to the oatmeal before you cook it, the nutty flavor becomes more intense and it flavors the oatmeal better than if you just throw them on top after cooking. I sometimes add a tablespoon or so of cottage cheese to hot oatmeal, makes it kind of creamy.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/01/09, 09:54 PM
Awesome breakfast and pre workout meal....

Cook up as much brown rice as you want. Put in bowl, cover just enough to keep it all wet with almond milk. Refrigerate overnight. In the morning, scoop out your desired amount, mix in 1 scoop of chocolate protein or more depending on your rice serving size, and top with a sliced banana. If trying to gain weight, this is awesome, great tasting and a great pre workout meal.

--------------
Strength and Honor!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/01/13, 08:44 AM
Wowee - here is what I am having for breakfast right now and it is soooo good - it tastes like desert, or like a cheat meal -

Make bodybuilder pancakes and use oatbran in place of the oatmeal (makes a lighter more crepe-like pancake),

Then take 1/2c frozen blackberries and 1/4 - 1/3c sugarsfree syrup, place the berries and syrup in a microwaveable bowl and microwave until the berries are soft and warm. Mash a little with a fork, then pour over the top of the bb pancake - I can't believe how good this tastes!

--------------
I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by a conscious endeavor.
- Henry David Thoreau

kobren
kobren
United States
2006/01/13, 06:41 PM
Hello I'm am a kicker and am coming off some knee surgery. I was wondering what are the best excerises and diet for gaining some fast twitch muscles and muscle memory to improve my kicking.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/01/14, 12:20 AM
Might try posting this in another forum?:)

============
Quoting from kobren:

Hello I'm am a kicker and am coming off some knee surgery. I was wondering what are the best excerises and diet for gaining some fast twitch muscles and muscle memory to improve my kicking.
=============

--------------
Strength and Honor!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/01/15, 11:48 AM
Yeah...

Sunday morning goop...

I like it, you might too.

1c cheerios
1 serving chocolate protein powder
1 spoonfull natty peanut butter

Mix with enough water to make the protein powder wet and coat the cheerios, stir the peanut butter in until it is all creamy.

MMM, treat-like.

--------------
I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by a conscious endeavor.
- Henry David Thoreau

chellie1234
chellie1234
United States
2006/01/17, 07:37 PM
from. kakaroto

Protein pancakes
I have seen so many different recipes for protein pancakes, don't know which one to use. Lately I have been mixing 1/2 cup oats, 1/4 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 scoop vanilla whey, 3 egg whites, 1/2 vanilla extract for batter. Then I usually add 2 Tbsp of Natty PB and about 1/2 cup of carb/sugar free syrup. Anyone else have any good recipes for protein pancakes?
Lonegirl
Lonegirl
Canada
2006/01/18, 09:10 AM
protein enhanced french toast

1/2 c egg substitute/egg whites
1/2 scoop Vanilla whey protein pwd
cinnamon (to taste...)
whisk together
soak 1-2 slices whole grain bread in mixture
cook on non-stick pan/griddle
yum :)
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/01/23, 07:34 PM
The good egg (from shape.com)

Diet Strategy: Add nature's original low-cal fast food to your diet for quick, healthful meals.

By Ramin Ganeshram

Photography by Shaffer Smith

From the Persians to the Greeks and Romans, people throughout the ages have celebrated spring's arrival with eggs -- a tradition that continues today throughout the world during Easter and Passover feasts.

But eggs lost some of their luster in the 1970s when doctors began warning against them because of their high cholesterol content. Now nutritionists are giving this versatile food a second chance. A recent Harvard University study found that healthy people can eat an egg a day without increasing their risk of heart disease or stroke. "The amount of eggs you can consume depends on your baseline health," says Josephine Connolly-Schoonen, M.S., R.D., an assistant clinical professor in family medicine at State University of New York at Stony Brook and author of Lose Weight Permanently With the Bulls-Eye Food Guide (Bull Publishing, 2004). "If you have high LDL cholesterol, then eat eggs moderately -- up to two or three whole eggs per week. If you don't , there is no reason to restrict eggs."

Connolly-Schoonen has moved eggs to a less-restricted category in her clinically based food guide. The reason: they're high in protein and rich in the antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin (both found in the yolk), which protect the eye against age-related degeneration. But best of all, a medium egg has only 70 calories and 6 grams of protein. So put aside your egg phobia and enjoy this perfectly packaged, nutrient-dense food!

Crustless Mushroom and Asparagus Quiche
Serves 4
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 16-18 minutes

Nutrition note: Although this dish gets 55 percent of its calories from fat, it is low in total fat as well as saturated fat. Traditional quiches average 30-40 grams of fat per serving, most of it saturated; our version has only 15 grams of fat, less than half of those saturated.

Cooking spray
1 small onion, finely chopped
4 spears asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 cup coarsely chopped white mushrooms
6 large eggs
1/2 cup lowfat milk
1/2 cup lowfat sour cream
1/4 teaspoon paprika
Pinch of nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
3 slices lowfat Swiss cheese, coarsely cut

Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and add onions and asparagus. Saute on medium heat 2-3 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften. Add mushrooms and cook 1-2 minutes more.

Meanwhile, beat together eggs, milk and sour cream in a medium bowl. Add paprika, nutmeg, salt and pepper and set aside. Coat a glass or ceramic baking dish with cooking spray and add cooked vegetables, spreading them evenly. Pour egg mixture on top, then sprinkle with cheese. Cover dish with a lid or with a paper towel and microwave on high for 8 minutes. Remove and allow to stand, covered, for 5 minutes more.

Nutrition score per serving (1/4 of quiche): 249 calories, 55% fat (15 g; 7 g saturated), 13% carbs (8 g), 32% protein (20 g), 356 mg calcium, 1.5 mg iron, 1 g fiber, 167 mg sodium.

Spicy Egg Salad Wrap

Serves 2
Cook time: 12 minutes

4 eggs, hard-boiled and peeled
1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/8 teaspoon chili powder
Salt to taste
1 cup fresh baby arugula, washed and patted dry
2 whole-wheat tortilla wraps
1/2 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into thin strips

Chop the eggs in a bowl and add mayonnaise and mustard. Mix well with a fork until all ingredients are evenly incorporated. Add chili powder and salt and mix again.

To assemble each wrap, place half the arugula on a tortilla. Top with half of egg mixture and spread evenly over arugula with the back of a spoon. Place half of the bell pepper strips atop egg salad. Fold tortilla sides toward center, then roll bottom half of tortilla away from you. To serve, cut each wrap in half on the diagonal.

Nutrition score per serving (1 wrap): 243 calories, 50% fat (13 g; 4 g saturated), 25% carbs (15 g), 25% protein (15 g), 88 mg calcium, 1.7 mg iron, 10 g fiber, 337 mg sodium.

Italian-Style Egg Drop Soup

Serves 4
Cook time: 5 minutes

This light, satisfying, broth-based soup, known in Italy as stracciatella, pairs eggs with another springtime favorite, fresh shelled peas.

4 cups nonfat, low-sodium chicken broth
2 large eggs at room temperature
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of nutmeg
1/2 cup shelled fresh peas
4 whole-grain rolls

Pour chicken broth into a saucepan and bring to a simmer on medium-low heat. Meanwhile, beat the eggs, Parmesan cheese and parsley together in a medium mixing bowl. Using a whisk, vigorously stir broth clockwise and slowly pour in the egg mixture. Add lemon juice, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add fresh peas and ladle immediately into soup bowls. Serve with a whole-grain roll.

Nutrition score per serving (1 cup of soup, 1 whole-grain roll): 221 calories, 39% fat (10 g; 1 g saturated), 33% carbs (19 g), 28% protein (16 g), 49 mg calcium, 1 mg iron, 3 g fiber, 394 mg sodium.

Ramin Ganeshram, a frequent contributor to Shape, likes eating eggs in all their forms.

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/01/23, 07:44 PM
Quiche cups to go (south beach diet)

1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach
3/4 cup liquid egg substitute
3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheese
1/4 cup diced green bell peppers
1/4 cup diced onions
3 drops hot sauce

microwave spinach for 2 1/2 minutes on high. Drain the excess liquid.
Line a 12 cup muffin pan with foil baking cups. Spray the cups with cooking spray.
Combine the egg substitute, cheese, peppers, onions, and spinach in a bowl. Mix well. Divide evenly among the muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Quiche cups can be frozen and reheated in the microwave. Any combination of vegetables and reduced-fat cheeses may be used.
6 servings (two muffins a serving)
Per serving: 77 calories,9g protein, 3g CHO, 3g fat, 2g sat fat, 160mg sodium, 10 mg cholesterol, 2g fiber.

That is from the South beach Diet.
I found that it made a very scant 12 little quiches, so I made a second batch and filled the cups up more. That still doesn't make it too many calories or protein per muffin.

I also made some with southwestern style egg beaters - that was tasty. And a batch made with frozen broccoli instead of spinach was good also.
My husband liked these too, they were easy to eat while driving.

My mom has made this for as long as I can remember and it is one of the only ways i will eat canned tuna warm (the other is tuna patties)

Mom makes this with a buttery crust, I left that out and shifted the ingredients a little - the end result was still really tasty and my husband liked it a lot, too.

Chive Quiche Provencal

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (what, 180 Celsius?)

Mix:
1c cottage cheese
1 TBSP dried chives (or chopped onion)
1 TBSP whole wheat flour
1/4c eggbeaters
1/4c milk
1 6-oz can tuna, drained and flaked
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Spray a pie plate with cooking spray and pour the mix into it. Bake for 40 minutes.

This is good cold, also.

From sandysford:

If you enjoy the flavors of Greek spinach pie, you will love this super-simple quiche. Add a salad or with fresh fruit - orange sections or fresh pineapple chunks to create a light meal. Serves 1.
Ingredients
1 whole wheat tortilla, 8 to 9 inches in diameter
1 cup chopped spinach, fresh or frozen
1/2 cup whole milk cottage cheese
* 1 egg
* 1 tablespoon farina or flour
salt and pepper to taste
a few sprigs of fresh dill or 1/2 teaspoon dry dill weed
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place the tortilla in a small ovenproof dish that will hold it in the shape of a mini-pie crust.
Mix the spinach, cottage cheese, egg, farina, salt, pepper and dill together. Spoon into the tortilla shell. Bake for 25 minutes. The quiche filling should be firm when done. Allow the quiche to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information per serving (1 quiche):
350 calories
11.5 g total fat
4.8 g saturated fat 38 g carbohydrate
25 g protein
6.5 g fiber

* Substitute low- or non-fat cottage cheese and 3 egg whites for 1 egg for low fat meal plan
1 Dairy
2 Grain
Portions:
1 Protein
1 Vegetable
3 Extras

I would trash the tortilla shell and eat it by it's self, sounded good to me!

Found it on this site:
http://www.strongwomen.com/recipes/recipe005_3min_quice.htm

From Azredhead57:

I've done this one twice now and will make it again this weekend. It is really easy. I cut it into 6 slices, but could easily be 8. I was looking for something that I could grab for breakfast or 2nd meal and this worked for me.

Spinach Artichoke Casserole

10 oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
14 oz can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
4 scoops plain protein powder (I used soy w/ 0 carbs and fat)
3 oz fat free cream cheese
4 oz (1/2c) fat free sour cream
4 oz (1/2 c) shredded fat free sharp cheddar (I used cut up slices)
1/4 c (approx 8) spring/green onions, chopped
1 c chopped mushrooms
1/2 c chopped red pepper (bell)
1T Tabasco (I used the green as it is milder)
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1 egg
nonstick cooking spray

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Spread into a 9" pie plate sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, or until crisp around the edges and set in the middle.

You could change this one around a lot of ways I think and how much protein powder is up to individual need I guess. The way I made it came out to be: 13g carbs, 182 cals, 27g pro, less than 1g of fat, per slice.

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/01/24, 09:03 AM
MMM. Breakfast 'pizza', eating this right now, it is better than I imagined it would be.

1small zuchini, dice
5 white mushrooms, chopped
2oz extra lean ground turkey breast
Mrs dash.
5 egg whites
2 slices ff mozarella
2TBSP lowfat spaghetti sauce

spray and preheat a medium nonstick frypan.
Cook turkey and crumble, add zuchini and a dash of mrs. dash, cook a little, then add a bit of water, turn down and cook for a few minutes to soften the zuchini, add the mushrooms and cook until they satrt to soften. remove veggie mix from pan and set aside.
Scramble the egg whites with a tbsp water, then put in pan. keep lifting up the edges to let incooked egg under the cooked edges. when it is nearly set, flip it over in the pan and add the veggie mix in a layer on top. top with ff cheese and then drizzle on sauce, cover and cook for a few minutes to heat sauce through and melt cheese.

MMMM. About 45g of protein and the carbs come from veggies, so they don't count much...

--------------
- Henry David Thoreau

coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2006/01/24, 11:02 PM
hey bb1... where do you find almond milk, i was looking for it today at wegmans and couldnt find. would you hapen to know what section in a Giant or Wegmans?
thanks,
\nate
2006/01/26, 06:35 AM
Look in health food stores...many big stores don't carry them...you'll not even always find Soy Milk...but health food stores usually have Soy, Rice, and Almond Milk varieties...If the chain stores do have them, they are separate on a shelf somewhere with nutrition bars and such....

I am really enjoying this thread, it's making me so hungry right now...LOL...great ideas for oats...

I usually just mix oats with water and then after its microwaved, I add couple spoonfuls of honey and mix in some berries or bananas if I have them....
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/01/26, 08:34 AM
Another winning omelet combination:

I made this and split it with my husband...

5 egg whites
3/4c eggbeaters
4 oz extra lean ground turkey
1-2c frozen broccoli florets (depends on how much broccoli you want/like)
hot salt (salt and cayenne pepper, you could just use cayenne pepper if you don't want the sodium)
3 slices FF sharp cheddar

Place the broccoli and some water in a medium nonstick pan, cover and cook over med heat while you do the rest... In a large nonstick pan, cook and crumble the turkey. Then add it to the broccoli in the medium pan and liberally apply hot salt. Uncover the broccoli/turkey so the water cooks off.

In a bowl, mix together the egg whites and egg beaters, spray the large pan with cooking spray and pour the egg mixture in. Let it cook and set up, lifting the edges occasionally to let the uncooked egg run underneath.

Once it is all set but not dried out, add the turkey/broccoli mix, top with the cheese slices and fold one side over the top. Heat a little, then divide onto two plates.

Yum! About 35 - 40g protein per serving.

--------------
Dont spend your precious time asking \\"Why isnt the world a better place?\\" It will only be time wasted. The question to ask is \\"How can I make it better?\\" To that there is an answer.
- Leo Buscaglia
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/01/28, 10:07 AM
I know, you are probably sick of omelets, but I love how quick and easy they are - yesterday i added fatfree cottage cheese to the egg/eggbeater mixture and mixed well, then poured that into the pan and cooked until it set up, had mushrooms, garlic and broccoli in the filling, with ff cheese. it was even tastier than the previous omelets!

--------------
Dont spend your precious time asking \"Why isnt the world a better place?\" It will only be time wasted. The question to ask is \"How can I make it better?\" To that there is an answer.
- Leo Buscaglia
chellie1234
chellie1234
United States
2006/02/07, 11:45 PM
JustinE22
.. ft Elite Status

Egg Enchiladas

Ingredients
-----------
8 tortillas ( whole wheat preferably! )
1 cup grated non/lowfat cheese
1 cooked potato, diced
1 thawed chicken breast, cubed
1/3 cup green pepper, chopped
1/3 cup onion, chopped
2 whole mushrooms, sliced
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
8 eggs / 16 egg whites / 2 cups egg-substitute
1 can tomato sauce
3/4 cup water
1 tablespoon chili powder

Instructions
------------
1) Coat a large skillet with non-stick non-fat cooking spray. Pre-heat to medium or medium-high. Add potatoes, chicken cubes, green peppers,
onions, mushrooms, and black pepper to skillet. Stir until chicken is cooked completely.
2) Reduce heat to medium-low,and add the eggs. Cook for 1-2 minutes without stirring. Then, scramble until fully cooked. Remove the skillet from the heat, and cover to
keep warm.
3) To make the sauce, place the tomato sauce, 3/4 cup of the
water, and chili powder in skillet. Place over medium-high heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low once it boils to keep it warm.
4) Coat a 9x13 baking pan with non-stick non-fat cooking spray and set aside. Using tongs, dip a tortilla in sauce for 5-10
seconds, coating both sides. Lay the tortilla on a flat surface ( plate ), and spoon about 1/3 cup of filling along the bottom. Roll the tortilla up and place seam
side down in dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
5) Pour the leftover sauce over the filled tortillas, and
sprinkle with the cheese. Bake at 375 degrees F for 9-12 minutes.

Nutrition Facts*
---------------
Serving size: 2 enchiladas
Calories: 317
Fat: 1.5 grams
Protein: 38 grams
Carbohydrates: 29 grams

Enjoi!

* These numbers are approximates based on the ingredients I used. I used 16 egg whites, if you use whole eggs the fat content will go up a little.

chellie1234
chellie1234
United States
2006/02/07, 11:45 PM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
chellie1234
chellie1234
United States
2006/02/07, 11:49 PM
JustinE22
.. ft Elite Status

Whey Protein Waffles
(4 scoops) vanilla protein
1 egg
1/2 c water
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp vanilla
Mix thoroughly makes 2 waffles.
chellie1234
chellie1234
United States
2006/02/07, 11:58 PM
JustinE22
.. ft Elite Status

Cajun Flapjacks

This one is a spicy favorite.

Ingredients:

1 whole egg
4 egg whites
¼ cup whole grain cream of rice
5 oz lean (92% or leaner) beef
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 pinch salt
1 tbsp Cajun rub
Pam or other non-stick cooking spray/oil
Your favorite hot sauce (Tabasco, Scorned Woman, etc)

Directions:

1. Take TWO non-stick fry-pans (one can be a griddle surface) and pre-heat to medium heat (add Pam or other no-stick spray if you have regular pans instead of the non-stick variety)

2. Add lean beef, cayenne pepper, pinch of salt, and Cajun rub, mix well and allow to brown

3. While the beef is browning, combine eggs and cream of rice in blender (hint: add the rice last so it does not sink below the blender blades)

4. Add liberal amount of your favorite hot sauce

5. Blend - you may need a long spoon to scrape up the cream of rice and reblend a few times

6. In a separate pan or on a griddle (either no stick pan or regular pan with some Pam added) pour out the mix

7. Allow to cook through until the top is not completely browned - it should be slightly "wet" (like an omelet)

8. Transfer the ground beef, which should be thoroughly browned by now, to the egg/cream of rice mix - pour on top like an omelet

9. Flip over half of the "omelet" so that the beef is folded inside, and cook until browned

10. Enjoy!

Nutrition Information:

Calories: 621
Protein: 50 g (33%)
Carbohydrate: 34 g (23%)
Fat: 30g (44%)
chellie1234
chellie1234
United States
2006/02/08, 12:04 AM
asimmer
.. ft Official Moderator

11 ways to scramble your eggs/egg whites/egg beaters

1) Turmeric and cumin scramble: 1/4 tsp ground turmeric, 1/4 tsp ground cumin and 1 tsp ground chipotle or black pepper.

2)Garlic and pepper scramble: 1/4 tsp ground turmeric, 1/4 tsp garlic powder or granules, and 1/8 - 1/4 tsp ground balck, red or chipotle pepper.

3)Hickory smoked scramble: 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1/4 tsp liquid hickory smoke seasoning, 1/8 - 1/4 tsp ground red or black pepper. For a sausage-like flavor add 1/4 tsp cumin or sage.

4) Tex mex scramble: 1/4 tsp ground turmeric, 1/4 tsp ground cumin, 1/4 tsp dried oregano.

5) Scrambled eggs with chili powder: 1/2 - 1/4 tsp chili powder blend.

6) Italian scramble: 1/4 tsp ground turmeric and 1/4 tsp dried basil, with 1/4 tsp dried oregano. optional: 1/2 tsp minced garlic or 1/4 tsp garlic powder. optional: 1 pinch ground black pepper and/or 2-3 minced sundried tomato halves.

7)French scramble: 1/4 tsp ground turmeric, 1/4 tsp dried tarragon, 1 tsp dried chives ( or 1 tbsp fresh, chopped chives)optional 1/8 tsp ground black pepper.

8) Hungarian scramble: 1/4 tsp paprika with 1/4 tsp dried dill weed, or 1/4 tsp paprika with 1/8 tsp black pepper. optional: add a dash of minced sweet red and/or green bell peppers or onions to the egg mixture before cooking.

9) Chicken and egg scramble: combine one egg and two egg whites and 1-2 oz cooked chicken breast (chopped), with any of the seasoning combos above.

10) Salmon and egg scramble: 1 egg, 2 whites, 1-2 oz cooked flaked salmon, 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1/8 tsp ground red or black pepper, 1/4 tsp dry mustard or dill weed. for a smoky taste add 1/2 tsp liquid hickory smoke seasoning.

11) Turkey and egg scramble: 1 egg, 4 whites, seasoning of your choice, 1-2 strips cooked turkey bacon, minced or cut with shears (you could also use pre-cooked ground turkey breast).
chellie1234
chellie1234
United States
2006/02/08, 12:05 AM
JustinE22
.. ft Elite Status

Different idea for oatmeal

Apple Cinnamon:
Add chopped apple or a few teaspoons of natural, unsweetened applesauce to oatmeal and cook. Sprinkle with cinnamon.

Maple & Brown Sugar
Use sugar-free pancake syrup and a dash of cinnamon or artificial brown sugar replacement by Sugar Twin that is now available.

Fruit & Cream:
Add a little milk or vanilla protein powder and a few strawberries, blueberries, peaches, or a teaspoon of sugar free preserves.

Maple Walnut:
Add 1 tbsp sugar-free pancake syrup and a few chopped walnuts.

French Vanilla:
Add 1 tsp vanilla, a splash of low-fat milk, and a packet of artificial sweetener.

Cinnamon Raisin:
Try using a few dashes of cinnamon, a splash of sugar-free maple syrup and a teaspoon of raisins.

Protein Boost:
Stir in 1 scoop of your favorite protein powder.

Butter Pecan:
Add a splash of imitation butter flavor, teaspoon of Promise fat-free butter replacement or a few dashes of Butter Buds and a teaspoon of chopped pecans.

Other Grains:
Try a multi-grain hot cereal, 5 or 7-grain hot cereal, oat bran, or get even fancier and splurge on some imported McCann Steel Cut Oatmeal for a little change of pace when you are bored with regular oatmeal. Any of the flavor varieties listed above work well with these complex carbohydrate hot cereals.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/02/09, 08:27 AM
Another delicious omelet... My new favorite!

1 egg
4 egg whites
2 green onions, chopped
1/3c fat free cottage cheese

Preheat/spray a large nonstick pan over med heat.
Scramble all ingredients together, then pour into prepared pan. Cook on one side until almost fully cooked, then flip and cook a few seconds to finish other side. Eat!

Calories 224, Protein 28.5g, Carbs 8g (seems high..), Fat 7.8g

--------------
Never, never, never, never give up.
- Winston Churchill
chellie1234
chellie1234
United States
2006/02/10, 09:14 PM
This was out of Oxygen

Steak and Spinach Omelette

2oz ground flank steak
1/2 cup fresh spinach,chopped
4 egg whites

instructions:
brown ground flank steak. combine all ingredients and cook on medium heat until egg whites are done. add seasoning, if desired. Serve with a slice of whole wheat toast.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/02/20, 02:36 PM
Nice egg article - explains the difference in grades and such (I never knew there was a difference, other than size..)

http://www.chefs.com/Features/Standard/199/Feature.aspx?SectionID=4

--------------
Never, never, never, never give up.
- Winston Churchill
chellie1234
chellie1234
United States
2006/03/04, 01:13 PM
Another interesting egg article. Does any other food get this much attention?!
http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/eggs/eggscience.html
chellie1234
chellie1234
United States
2006/03/18, 02:09 PM
Ranch Deviled Eggs

Recipe By :Pillsbury
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers Eggs

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
12 eggs
3 teaspoons ranch-style dressing mix
6 tablespoons Hellmans Just 2 Good Mayonaise
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
paprika

Place eggs in medium saucepan; cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer about 15 minutes. Immediately drain; run cold water over eggs to stop cooking. Peel eggs; rinse.

Cut eggs in half lengthwise. With tip of knife, carefully lift out yolks; place in medium bowl. Mash with a fork. Add salad dressing mix, mayonnaise and mustard; mix well.

Spoon or pipe yolk mixture into egg white halves. Sprinkle with paprika. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving. Makes 24 halves.

Source:
"Holiday Appetizers Booklet"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 90 Calories; 6g Fat (61.6% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 212mg Cholesterol; 224mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/05/26, 08:34 AM
I created this this morning - very good! Have it with a slcie or two of whole grain bread - I like Ezekial flourless sprouted bread.

Recipe: kidney bean omelet
Description: This is a tasty omelet with good carbs!

#Recipe Ingredients
Description Measure Amount
Egg, whole, raw, fresh large 1.0
Egg, white, raw, fresh large 3.0
Cheese, cottage, lowfat, 1% milkfat cup (not packed) 0.08 (1 tbsp)
Onions, raw cup, chopped 0.5
Mushrooms, raw cup, pieces or slices 1.0
Beans, kidney, all types, mature seeds, canned cup 0.33
Cheese, pasteurized process, cheddar or american, fat-free slice (3/4 oz) 1.0
Garlic, raw tsp 0.5
Coriander (cilantro) leaves, raw cup 0.33
Spices, cumin seed tsp 0.25
Spices, pepper, red or cayenne tsp 0.125

#Recipe Steps
1 Spray a pre-heated non-stick pan with olive oil, then add onions. Cook onions 2 minutes, then add mushrooms and chopped garlic, cumin and cayenne pepper. After a few minutes, add the kidney beans, heat through. Add all but one tbsp of the cilantro, then turn off heat. Preheat a seperate large, non-stick pan. In a small bowl, mix together egg, egg whites, cottage cheese and remaining cilantro. Pour mixture into prepared pan and tilt pan to spread evenly. Once the egg mixture has set-up, spred the bean mix on half of it, top bean mix with fat free cheese slice and fold over omelet to cover. Let cook one minute longer to melt cheese. Enjoy!

Calories 583
Protein 63g
Fats 12g
Polyunsaturates 2. g
Monosaturates 4. g
Saturates 3.7 g
Cholesterol 429mg
Carbohydrates 24. g

Total dietary fiber (g) 10

--------------

You don\'t drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.
Anik_10
Anik_10
Canada
2006/07/28, 09:18 PM
Im putting together all the recipes I can, and went shopping today. This recipe was on my list, but I could'nt find almond milk. Is there an alternative? Im guessing almond milk adds some sweet taste into it, so is there any thing else?

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

Awesome breakfast and pre workout meal....

Cook up as much brown rice as you want. Put in bowl, cover just enough to keep it all wet with almond milk. Refrigerate overnight. In the morning, scoop out your desired amount, mix in 1 scoop of chocolate protein or more depending on your rice serving size, and top with a sliced banana. If trying to gain weight, this is awesome, great tasting and a great pre workout meal.

=============
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/08/05, 07:47 AM
probably vanilla rice milk, vanilla soy milk or regualr skim milk and a little sweetener would work fine.

--------------

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/08/22, 10:09 AM
Omelets Are Us
Lighten up breakfast with this Biggest Loser Club favorite.

Pair this veggie-rich omelet with a strip or two of turkey bacon (cooked between sheets of paper towels in the microwave to save time and soak up excess grease). Or do as the French do, add a salad, and you've got a fast, easy dinner.

Ingredients:

4 tablespoons chopped broccoli
2 tablespoons chopped yellow onion
2 tablespoons finely chopped carrot
4 large egg whites
1 whole large egg
1/2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning
1 ounce serving Light Laughing Cow cheese
2 tablespoons fat-free refried beans

To Prepare:

Lightly coat a nonstick saute pan with cooking oil spray. Heat pan over medium-high heat and add vegetables. Saute for about two minutes or until just tender, but still bright.

While the veggies are cooking, whip the eggs with a whisk or beater until they are foamy. Add seasoning. Pour eggs over the vegetables, cover and cook for about two minutes or until eggs are almost set.

Crumble cheese over the omelet. Distribute refried beans over cheese. Fold omelet in half and allow to cook two minutes longer over low heat.

Yield: 1 serving

Nutritional Values: Fat: 12 g. Carbohydrates: 13 g. Protein: 24 g. Calories: 266 kcal.

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/08/24, 07:52 AM
Today's omelet is.... Asparagus and onion omelet! Better than it sounds!

You need :
1 serving of fresh asparagus (i used about 10 spears, probably), cut into 1" pieces

1/4 of a large onion, thinly sliced

cooking spray

california garlic pepper seasoning

cooking sherry

1 whole egg, 4 egg whites

turmeric

herbs de provence or tarrogon and chives

1 slice ff cheese, american style

preheat a medium nonstick pan, then spray it with cooking spray. Add the asparagus and onion, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle the garlic pepper over them. After a few minutes, when the onions start to brown, add a splash of cooking sherry to moisten the pan and add flavor. When the aspargus is crisp-tender, turn off the heat.

While the vegetables cook, preheat a large non-stick pan.Spray it with cooking spray.

In a small bowl, beat the egg, egg whites, a pinch of turmeric and a pinch of herbs de province. Beat until foamy. Pour into large pan and swirl pan to spread evenly.

When the egg mixture has cooked up enough to turn over without tearing (but not so much that it is tough) , turn it over in the pan to cook the other side (I have found that this makes a softer omelet, rather than the traditional method of cooking it without flipping it over).

Spread the asparagus and onion on one half of the egg circle, tear the fat-free cheese in half and place over the vegetables, then fold the egg over the top.

Enjoy!

This is also good with a smear of guacamole on it!

Ballpark nutrition: Protein 25g - 30g, CHO 5-10g fat 4g calories 250ish

--------------

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other one thing.
-Abraham Lincoln
Chris1980
Chris1980
Canada
2007/06/07, 01:38 AM
Hey guys,

Just reading over the posts for breakfasts, so great! Many ideas here. However, I have come to 2 conclusions. There seems to be nothing aside from eggs that are used in most recipes. Does this imply that breakfast cannot go without eggs? Secondly, I also found that the majority of these have protein powder in them. Seems as if there is no protein powder or eggs, there will be no healthy breakfasts. Is this true?

--------------
There can be miracles when you believe

flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2007/06/08, 11:17 AM
The idea is to get a good source of protien for breakfast. Eggs and protien powder are quick and easy ways to achieve this. You have tons of other options...fish, tuna, peanut butter, lean meat...it's just that most people prefer eggs or protien shakes. Many feel that a high carb breakfast is not the way to go.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/06/11, 08:08 AM
You can eat any type of protien you want at any meal - there is no hard fast rule that says you have to eat eggs or whey for breakfast. If fish or lean beef or chicken breast sounds good to you in the morning - go for it! Cottgae cheese or lowfat yogurt could also be choices. Just be sure to include some protein!

Bodybuilders sometimes will have whey protein first thing because it gets into the system faster than other types of protein and after fasting all night they want that quick source of amino acids, but for the average trainee - any type of protein at breakfast will be fine.

You actually want more of your carbs in your earlier meals of the day - you have been fasting all night and your body needs fuel. Just because these recipes are for protein, it doesn't mean we aren't eating a bowl of oats or some whole grain toast alongside the eggs.

Eating a good breakfast is one of the top ways to keep your metabolism up.

--------------

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

klo992
klo992
Philippines
2007/06/16, 03:49 AM
Uhmm... Regarding breakfast... What can you suggest cooking if we only have eggs and oatmeal... We don't have berries... We have bread (wheat, sugar-free, fiber-enriched)... And Whey Protein Powder (Coffee Caramel)... For fruits, we have bananas and apples...
shanda822
shanda822
United States
2007/06/29, 04:11 PM
Is Soy Milk An Good Choice To Have.... Not Just For Breakfast But For The Whole WSSC Diet???
shanda822
shanda822
United States
2007/06/29, 04:13 PM
Is Soy Milk An Good Choice To Have.... Not Just For Breakfast But For The Whole WSSC Diet???
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/08/02, 10:30 AM
If soy milk fits into your calorie and carb counts, it is fine...sorry to answer this question so long after!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/08/02, 10:35 AM
Made this yesterday and Really liked it!

From Muscle media magazine (defunct now):

Ranchero eggs
2c egg substitute, liquid, southwestern style or plain
1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
1/2 medium red pepper, seeded and chopped
1 tsp olive or enova oil
1 package taco seasoning mix
1/4c water
3/4 pound extra lean ground turkey

In a large non-stick pan, over medium high heat, cook the onion and peppers in the oil for 2 minutes until the onion starts to brown. Add the ground turkey and break it up with a spatula as it cooks. When the turkey is pretty much cooked, add the seasoning mix and water.Simmer 2-3 minutes until mixture thickens, stirring occasionally. Stir in egg substitute and scramble until eggs are firm. Optional - serve with warm tortillas and top with salsa. (I ate it all by itself and it was really good!

4 servings,
Per serving:
203 calories
6g fat
32g protein
4g carbs

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/01/21, 08:13 AM
I am working my way through the South beach Diet Quick and Easy Cookbook. I like South Beach because the phase one recipes usually fit into pre-comp type diets and there is usually a lot of interesting flavor. I also like that the nutritional info is included.

Here is this morning's meal:

Spicy Tomatillo Scramble
2 1/2 tsp canola oil, divided ( I actually used 1 tsp for cooking the veggies and then just sprayed the pan for the eggs)

1 med tomatillo, papery skin removed, diced 1/4 inch

1/2 small onion, diced

3 large eggs, slightly beaten

2 TBSP salsa of choice ( I used medium cilantro salsa, mmm)

S&P to taste

Heat 1 tsp oil in med skillet over med0high heat. Add tomatillo and onion. Reduce haet to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until veggies are softened and lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Remove from skillet.

Spray skillet with non-stick spray (or heat remaining oil): add eggs, reduce heat to low and allow eggs to set, 2 minutes. Sprinkle veggies over eggs , season with S&P, and scramble until just cooked, about 1 minute more. Serve with salsa. (I actually mix the salsa in with the eggs when I beat them, it makes them moister and tastier, IMO).

Makes 2 servings (I eat the whole recipe )
190 calories
13g fat, 3 sat
10g protein
5g carbohydrate
0 fiber
350mg sodium

I had this with a pear bran muffin on the side - I will post that recipe in another thread
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/04/19, 05:28 PM
I finally sat down and figured out the nutritional info on my favorite quiche...

Amy?s Revamped Chive Quiche Provencal
Mix together :

2c 2% cottage cheese
2 Tbsp dried chives
2T ww flour (or ww pastry flour)
2 lg eggs (or egg beaters)
½ c skim milk
3 - 6oz cans tuna in water, drained and flaked
½ tsp pepper

Turn into a deep dish 9? pie plate that has been sprayed with Pam, bake at 400° for 40 - 55 minutes, until set.

Whole recipe
Calories 960
Fat grams 19.25
Carbohydrates 39 grams
Fiber 2 grams
Protein 150 grams

8 slices - per slice:
120 cal
2.4g fat
4.8g carbohydrates
0.2g fiber
18.7g protein