Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 21, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

5/21/05 Contest update

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/05/21, 01:14 PM
Well, contest update....my class is the largest class of all! There are 12 of us, there were 14, but 2 did not show.

I feel I hit my mandatories pretty well, kind of did what I have to do in my mind to pose halfway decent, and that is "zone" out in my own little world. I missed my most muscular, was too high, don't know what I was thinking, but all others went well.

The head judge(there are 9) kind of forgot about us on that pose, and we had to hold it for what seemed like an eternity....a good 2-3 minutes, and if that does not seem long, give it a try. Full body flexed, legs, everything....crab most muscular.

According to the observations I have recieved, I am most definitely in the top 5. This in itself is a feat with the short prep time I had. Of course hoping for the best, we will see.

My own observations, being my own worst critic, I feel I am definitely one of the top 5, and in the running for the top 3. We will see, hopefully I can pull off a good routine tonight.....

then on to Red Lobster baby!!(I will never, ever eat another 99% fat free turkey meal in any fashion ever again!)

Will update late tonight or tomorrow morning.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
bropie
bropie
Canada
2005/05/21, 01:26 PM
:laugh::laugh: good luck ron.. you got all of us behind you! show them what FT is all about! :big_smile::dumbbell:
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/05/22, 12:40 AM
Well, good and bad news. I placed second....I felt a little robbed, and seemed many others thought so too. I had numerous folks tell me they thought I should have won it. Oh well, second place for the amount of contest prep(6 weeks) time I had should really be nothing to be sneezed at or feel bad about.

Had some good food afterwards, went to Red Lobster. Had a lobster pizza for an appetizer, and then the broiled feast. Double order of scampi. Even ate one of those rolls(man those are good) and had a banana foster cheescake! God, that thing is so rich, don't know how people eat that stuff all the time.

Anyway, it was a good competition. Thought I posed well, hit my morning poses good as mentioned, and even though lost it in my music routine, picked it right up and noone knew. Everyone was cheering and thought it was great. Used Paranoid by Black Sabbath by the way.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
Jdelts
Jdelts
United States
2005/05/22, 01:11 AM
Congrats BB!! You are your own worst critic but I'm glad to hear you did so well. Its a great feeling being up there during your routine, isn't it? You made me so jealous when you talked about what you ate after the show. That's probably the best feeling of all!:laugh: Take care of yourself and rest up this week...you've earned it.

--------------
The New Mets look like the Old Mets

Jdelts@freetrainers.com
RandomGirl
RandomGirl
United States
2005/05/22, 01:16 AM
Congrats! You must be freakin proud right now!

It's a good end, becuz you'll just kick ass even better next time, so no chump takes your final spot.

Musta felt good to stuff yourself silly afterwards. Funny.....you're just so well educated that I always imagined you listening to classical music (J/K!). I know most bodybuilders listen to rock. Had to make a joke.:)
Philia2
Philia2
France
2005/05/22, 01:37 AM
Ron, I guess we always have this special feeling after a competition. Just like a big ballon being collapsed.
Maybe you deserved the first place but second is still good (and after only 6 weeks?!!) You can definitely be proud of yourself! :love::)

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
www.nme-pro.com
leslieherr
leslieherr
United States
2005/05/22, 12:54 PM
Ron, Congrats you did fantastic.

Leslie
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/05/22, 01:25 PM
Thought I would give a revue of contest day. Got up at 5 am and had my breakfast which consisted of 6 oz. 98% lean turkey, 1/4 cup oats, 1 scoop of protein. Touched up my tan from the night before. As far as sodium potassium manipulation (water), I kept sodium in my normal manner, no added sodium, but did not hesitate to drink water with sodium and have veggies, etc. Increased my potassium intake, but not dramatically. Had 1 (99mg.) About every 2-3 hrs. Did not drink water extensively, but drank when thirsty. Seemed to be constantly urinating anyway, so saw no problem here. No blurred abs, or any smoothing.

Ok, so I had my wife drive to the show so I could reflect and "zone" a bit on the task at hand.

Got to the show just in time for the mandatory competitors meeting, in which we were informed of posing order, demonstration of the poses, introduction to the judges, purchasing your NPC card if you did not have it, and finally the weigh in. I wore sweats, and glad I did. It really was chilly in the auditorium.

After the meeting was over, we were immediately sent backstage for the show to begin, while they let in the paying crowd. This was where we pumped up, etc. I made a container of muscle goo, this was like a treat! A high calorie high glycemic carb to consist with pump up. I used almond butter, 2 scoops chocolate protein, ½ cup honey and 1 bag of M&M’s. After all the turkey, this was really a taste treat. Had one tbsp. Every hour, and 1 tbsp. Immediately before pumping up.

Equipment was very limited, had 3-4 sets of dumbbells, one flat bench, one incline bench, and a T bar row. I pumped up in a logical manner for me. Tried to concentrate on what I thought were weaker areas, like improving shoulder width. My order went like this, set of 25 pushups to hit tri’s and chest, set of dumbbell presses alternating for shoulders, and then very strict light weight side lateral raises. Followed this for 3 sets, and it was just about right for my time to go out. Also did some calf raises against the wall.

I went out with the group, ours happened to be the largest class. There were 12 in our class, that was interesting. Well, the morning mandatories went well. Hit all poses well, was really in a "zone" where I need to be to pose well..in other words, though others out there with me and the judges telling us what poses to do, still being detached from them all and being robotic like in my posing. Less thought about it, the better I do.

I did miss my crab most muscular a bit though, was kind of high on it, but nothing that was bad and would cost me..

I left the contest right after my class mandatories, and went home. I was going to let my morning mandatories determine how I handled eating between shows. I was told by everyone around me that I was very much in the running for a top 5 finish. So, I stayed with my diet, had a stir fry of 98% lean turkey and 4 oz. Of sweet potato. Kept water to a minimum, drinking, but not excessive, only when thirsty. Supplemented heavily throughout the day with Muscularity BCAA’s and Lean Out. Also took my normal supplement doseage of cAMP and Cissus. Had a green tea capsule with it. Vitamins consisted of Vit. C, B complex, and Vit. E and Selenium.

Laid down and relaxed a bit and ended up falling alseep. Had only 4 hrs. sleep last night before the show, so was very tired. Had a bit of adrenaline flowing this morning, so did not really notice it till after the climax of the morning had worn off.

Practiced my evening music routine a couple times upon waking, and had to have another meal before going back for the evening show(live 45 minutes away). Tried hard to eat another meat/veggie meal, but just could not stomach another one, so finished with a protein shake to make up the difference.

Headed back to the show, and had to be there early for the mandatory competitors meeting. This was when the judges told us the order of posing, etc. Essentially the same order as the morning show, but moves a bit faster since each routine is only 60 seconds long mandatory. Then when each class was finished with their routines, the top 5 in the class were brought out and trophies awarded for each place.

Ended up having about 15 minutes to pump up, had to really rush things. This is the time I always get nervous, going out there on stage alone with all those people staring at you and knowing it. I started to get a very nervous stomach. When my time came, I walked out to center stage, hit the relaxed pose, and just about them my music started. Started out with a side chest, into a side tricep. From there turn and into a one knee calf flexed rear double bicep. Hit that well, came up and was to go into a rear double bicep with a pump from down low and crossing arms above head into the pose hitting it hard. From there transition into a rear lat spread.(my lats were so much better this time that I decided to include a lat spread in my routine). From there turned to one side of the audience, and hit a single right bicep. Then turned to the other side and hit a hand behind head ab flex. The crowd was really cheering, which was heartening. Then went into a crab most muscular, front double bicep, and finished with hands on hips most muscular. Bowed, and walked off stage. One of the show promoters told me immediately going backstage to stay right at the curtain, as I was going to be presented with a trophy when the class was over. I knew then I had placed in the top 5, but did not know where. I paced hard backstage waiting for the class to complete their posing.

Then the 5 of us chosen were filed back onstage, and trophies were presented in descending order, moving us as the places were announced. I was on the end, then got moved to next to center, then to center. That meant it came down to me and another competitor for first place, as the 5th, 4th, and 3rd were presented. The anticipation was intense, and I heard the announcer say, and second place goes to......#36, Ron Kramer! Unfortunately, that was me. I immediately reached out and shook the winners hand, though disappointed, sportsmanship is of the essence and I believe in congratulating anyone. I know all to well the work involved in preparing for this. And though the judges saw fit to place me second, this was their choice.

I will say that many folks right away said I got robbed. I went out to meet my wife, and she was red hot! You could see it, it was like she had lost the competition. I was actually so relieved it was over and I was going to eat, it wasn’t registering.

In retrospect looking back I was very pleased with my finish, considering my very short prep time. Much, much effort was put into this prep, workouts in the morning, cardio at midnight every night, twice on Saturdays, hitting the stepper at full bore. Diet had to be extreme, very low carb for an extended period of time. Very brutal conditioning, but I committed myself to it and wanted it. This is what got me there, desire and dedication.

One other note, I am proof that even at 53 yrs. old, you can still gain muscle! I competed a full 8 lbs. heavier than last year! I was very pleased with that. So, to those that think they cannot gain muscle, work, eat and rest well, and it will come.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
sbroyhill
sbroyhill
United States
2005/05/22, 02:04 PM
Good job!

--------------
:Hard work equals great results!:
bropie
bropie
Canada
2005/05/23, 08:12 AM
wow.. ron you are my hero :big_smile:
Jdelts
Jdelts
United States
2005/05/23, 09:02 AM
BB1...you are getting me pumped and its only 9 in the morning on Monday!! I know that feeling of nervousness right before getting on stage. Then you get into a zone and everything is smooth. BB, I have one question though...is there a benefit to using distilled water instead of regular water so as to not retain water during the last week? Any input would be great...5 more days!

--------------
The New Mets look like the Old Mets

Jdelts@freetrainers.com
jdb1979
jdb1979
United States
2005/05/23, 09:02 AM
Congrats Ron!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2005/05/23, 11:27 AM
Way to go, Ron!!!!!!

Only 6 weeks prep and you still took second!!!!!! Wow!

--------------
Vitality shows not only in the ability to persist but the ability to start over. - F. Scott Fitzgerald
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2005/05/23, 02:33 PM
Great job! Congrats!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2005/05/23, 05:50 PM
Wow...2nd place. That is fantastic. And after only 6 weeks!:dumbbell::dumbbell:

CONGRATULATIONS!

--------------
Scales are for dead weight: We are not dead yet!
Still trying to find out how to do the Hollywood Free Press.

Ivan

Montreal Canada
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/05/24, 01:31 AM
Regular spring water is fine.

============
Quoting from jdelts:

BB1...you are getting me pumped and its only 9 in the morning on Monday!! I know that feeling of nervousness right before getting on stage. Then you get into a zone and everything is smooth. BB, I have one question though...is there a benefit to using distilled water instead of regular water so as to not retain water during the last week? Any input would be great...5 more days!

=============

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2005/05/24, 01:18 PM
Good job, B, especially with the short prep time!
But, it looks like I'm going to have a to make another ph call....... :laugh:

--------------
Michael

*ITS LEG DAY*
You already blew out your wraps.
Your towel cant absorb any more sweat.
Theres puke on the floor.
Your partner is passed out.
Theres a crowd gathering...

And that was just the warm up!
DX14AG
DX14AG
United States
2005/05/24, 09:06 PM
I wonder if I would be as dedicated to my health and fitness if I have not read any of your posts. You are such an inspiration to me Ron. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

DX
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/05/25, 09:26 AM
Thanks everyone......nice to hear the support.

I was very pleased with the finish in the short time I had to prep for this contest. Just re-iterates my policy of staying lean. Dieting sucks, make no mistake about it!

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com