Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

but I'm not a bodybuilder...

princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2004/10/05, 06:22 AM
How much of this bodybuilding stuff is really relevant if you just want to get in shape?

Training - this has been well covered in other threads, but to reiterate: if you want to lose weight or get a firmer body, what you need to do is build muscle - each pound of muscle you gain burns an extra 30-50 calories a day, and aids you in getting rid of fat.

Who knows the best way to build muscle? - bodybuilders - the only difference is the extent to which you take it.

Diet - I used to think that this eating every 3-4 hours and eating more than 1200 cals a day would not work for me, as I don't have big muscles and can't lift heavy weights. I thought if I eat like the bodybuilders I will gain too much fat. WRONG!

The key is the timing - if you spread your calories evenly and eat every 3-4 hours, your food will keep your metabolism fired up, and help you lose fat.
If you eat all your calories in 2 or 3 sittings, they'll be stored as fat, and the long gap between meals will lead to your metabolism slowing even further.

If your still not convinced, I challenge you to try it for a couple of weeks - what have you got to lose?
The outside possibility that you may put on a little weight (which is what you're afraid of) versus the chance to increase your metabolism and become one of those people you always envied, who can eat regularly, but still keep trim.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2004/10/05, 08:03 AM
Great post! Hope my wife reads this post! Wheres the tack?
And great info for those ladies who are intimidated by weights in the gym or at home.
this is the message we are always trying to give.:dumbbell::dumbbell::dumbbell:

--------------
"A will finds a way, failure is not an option"
Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/10/05, 11:06 AM
Nice, to the point message Princess. Nice post.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2004/10/06, 05:32 AM
Thanks. I've more.....

What about the contents of your diet? How appropriate is the bodybuilder diet?

The answer is that the bodybuilder diet is a very healthy diet, and suitable for anyone who exercises regularly. If you are relatively new to all this, you may find the diet a little too strict, for example the restriction of fruits. What I would suggest is making small changes at a time, and seeing what works for you. If up until now you have been eating twinkies, then changing to apples is a good, positive change. If you find you have reached a plateau, then think about getting stricter. (For more suggestions on diet go to the "grocery list for a bodybuilder" thread in the diet and nutrition board)

What about supplements?

Whey shakes are not just for bodybuilders. Using these after you workout will help you build the muscle you want to get a firmer body, and will also help your recovery. I recently made the mistake of not adding dextrose/maltose to my postworkout shake, thinking that it was unecessary extra calories. The point of adding this is not only that it helps the protein in the whey go to the right place, but also replaces the fuel in your muscles that you have used for your workout.

What this means in simple terms is that I now recover much quicker, and can put more into my next workout.
Leedogg
Leedogg
United States
2004/10/07, 01:49 AM
I've been lurking around these message boards for a week or two now and have picked up a lot from you guys, so thank you.

Can you expand on the restriction of fruits? Are they bad for some reason?

I bought a digital kitchen scale and meticulously entered into the diet thing on this site everything I ate. Do you guys do this every day? Does it become habit or after a while do you just kinda know how many calories (and what kind) you ate in a day?
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2004/10/07, 06:36 AM
Strict bodybuilders will often avoid fruits because of the sugar (fructose) that is in them. I was slightly disturbed when I first read about apples being bad, but I think for ordinary mortals, like myself, there is no need to worry.

I would avoid eating too much of really sugary fruits, like grapes and bananas, but otherwise not stress too much. If you are eating a lot of fruit and are finding that you are plateauing, it may be time to change some of the fruit for vegetables.

I personally don't enter things into the nutritional tracker, because I know how many calories most things have and I'm probably obsessional enough about my diet, but if you're not sure I think it can be helpful, certainly to start with.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2004/10/07, 01:38 PM
You will find if you enter the info, or keep a journal of everything you consume it will be a great tool to refer to. Eventually all of it will become habit.

--------------
"A will finds a way, failure is not an option"
Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/10/08, 03:48 PM
NIce posts, princess!!!!
I repeat - who knows how to build muscle??? Bodybuilders!!!!!
Who knows how to lose bodyfat????
Bodybuilders!!!!

So who should you look to for dietary patterns?????
Bodybuilders!!!!!!

80% of your results will come through proper eating habits - most people refuse to eat enough, often enough. Or they are eating plenty of low-nutrient, processed foods and no fiber...

Eat, Sleep, Grow, get leaner!!!

--------------
"Achieving worthwhile goals requires a consistent investment of time and effort on your part....The rewards you receive will be in direct proportion to the consistent effort you put forth."
Brian Johnston, The Power of The Champions
JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2004/10/14, 03:24 AM
So so very true pryncess. People at my work want to loose weight or get ripped and no one wants to heed(sp?) my advice because they think they get too big or will get fatter instead of thinner if they ate as often as i do, i've given up on giving advice if someone asks me then that is fine but offering it up just doesn't work.
:cool:
millenia
millenia
United Kingdom
2004/10/14, 01:52 PM
Hey good post..can any one point me in the direction of the body builders food list...*turns red* i can't find it..
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/10/14, 05:49 PM
Look in the Faqs section or the nutrition section - it is 'grocery list for a bodybuilder'
millenia
millenia
United Kingdom
2004/10/15, 05:25 AM
Thank you!
greg82
greg82
United States
2004/11/21, 02:43 AM
I use the nutritional tracker and found it is a great tool. However some of the foods I consume arent on the master list and so it throws off the accuracy, is there anyway to add a food from scratch or edit existing foods to include the nutrient value of foods you actually consume?
greg82
greg82
United States
2004/11/21, 02:43 AM
I use the nutritional tracker and found it is a great tool. However some of the foods I consume arent on the master list and so it throws off the accuracy, is there anyway to add a food from scratch or edit existing foods to include the nutrient value of foods you actually consume?
puresnowchic
puresnowchic
United States
2005/01/02, 03:58 PM
I think you have to pay to get the "Fit Pro" subscription to be able to do that...

--------------
My mind tells me to win, my spirit shows me how, and my body delivers.
ianakers
ianakers
United States
2005/02/23, 06:55 PM
is there anyway i can fit this type of diet into my school schedule
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2005/02/24, 01:29 PM
where there is a will, there is a way.
maxcdc
maxcdc
Belgium
2005/03/03, 10:38 PM
This post should be read before beginning to build muscle

i lost 2 mounth in trying to build while eating nothing:laugh:
chkrvrty
chkrvrty
United States
2005/03/24, 05:23 PM
I read some conflicting information in April 2005 Runner's World (pg 65). It says muscles only burn 6 calories/lb, as opposed to fat, which burns 2 calories/lb. That means a net gain of 4 calories/lb. They quoted an article "Dissecting the Energy Needs of the Body" from a 2001 issue of Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care.

Now, I understand that a runner's magazine would stress longer-term physical activity, but on the other hand, it seems that people on a weight-training-related website might lean the other way. How do I unravel all this info and get to the truth??

Incidentally, that article was excellent in breaking down and explaining the different factors that go into one's metabolism, and how much they affect your overall metabolism, and how much you can change them. For copyright reasons, I don't want to quote too much, but here's the gist of it (I should state that I have no knowledge myself, and am only paraphrasing from this magazine ... feel free to comment on or dispute any of this!):

Four basic factors go into your overall energy expenditure:
1. Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) - a large percent
2. Thermal Effect of Feeding (TEF) - usually about 10%
3. Physical Activity Energy Expenditure (PAEE) - could be very little or very large
4. Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption (EPOC) - zero to a small percent

They say you can't change BMR. You can change TEF by eating more smaller meals, but it doesn't make up a large percentage of your total energy use either way. Same for EPOC (which you can change by working out). You have most control over PAEE.

Comments?

============
Quoting from princesslodgey:

How much of this bodybuilding stuff is really relevant if you just want to get in shape?

Training - this has been well covered in other threads, but to reiterate: if you want to lose weight or get a firmer body, what you need to do is build muscle - each pound of muscle you gain burns an extra 30-50 calories a day, and aids you in getting rid of fat.

Who knows the best way to build muscle? - bodybuilders - the only difference is the extent to which you take it.

Diet - I used to think that this eating every 3-4 hours and eating more than 1200 cals a day would not work for me, as I don't have big muscles and can't lift heavy weights. I thought if I eat like the bodybuilders I will gain too much fat. WRONG!

The key is the timing - if you spread your calories evenly and eat every 3-4 hours, your food will keep your metabolism fired up, and help you lose fat.
If you eat all your calories in 2 or 3 sittings, they'll be stored as fat, and the long gap between meals will lead to your metabolism slowing even further.

If your still not convinced, I challenge you to try it for a couple of weeks - what have you got to lose?
The outside possibility that you may put on a little weight (which is what you're afraid of) versus the chance to increase your metabolism and become one of those people you always envied, who can eat regularly, but still keep trim.
=============
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2005/03/25, 05:09 AM
Good questions.

I'm maybe misunderstanding the article, but I would completely disagree with the statement that you can't change BMR. Your BMR is affected by your body composition, so if you increase lean tissue, your BMR will increase, and vice versa.

As for the exact figures, I have seen 30-50 calories per pound per day quoted. Do you know if the figures in Runner's world were per day? I will do a search and see if I can get an exact figure for you.

Did they explain the best way to increase EPOC is with weight training and HIIT?

princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2005/03/25, 05:49 AM
I just did a medline search, and I failed to come up with any studies which calculate calorie burn for muscle. I did a google search and found calorie burn for muscle values ranging from 4 to 75 calories per pound per day!

Unfortunately none of the ones I saw(including runner's world) gave any references.

I'm interested in finding the answer to this too - so if anyone can help, please do :)

I'm off to dig out some old textbooks.........
chkrvrty
chkrvrty
United States
2005/03/25, 01:00 PM
Next time I swing by the library, I'll see if I can see the journal that they referenced. In answer to your question, no they didn't state the best way to increase EPOC -- they focused mainly on PAEE since they said it was the largest contributor.

In terms of BMR, what you say makes sense. But I've read in the past that the "changing body composition" is misleading, because even with a great deal of exercise, most people don't change their composition greatly. I think they argue by using the body fat % thing, maybe something like this (again, I'm going from memory, not understanding):

If you have 20% body fat, and get it down to 15%, which is a major change, you're probably losing 3%, and converting 2% to lean tissue. So if you weigh 200lbs, that's replacing maybe 4 lbs of fat to 4lbs of lean tissue. So you're gaining the difference between the metabolic rate of 4lbs of fat to 4lbs of lean tissue.

Now, I have no idea how much that would end up being, but the argument is pretty convincing. But then again, I think when you're talking about finding or changing equilibrium in your life, those small changes, accrued over years, counts for quite a bit. So please don't think I'm arguing for running versus weight training! (Otherwise I wouldn't be here!) But I do believe in a balance, and that no one path is the solution.
thedominator
thedominator
United Kingdom
2005/03/26, 04:20 PM
correct me if i'm wrong.. but isn't it the case that runners need energy for longer term so that they can run long periods of time.. they don't need muscles or muscle definition as much as bodybilders (or lean body wanna be like us) want.

i think runners do not care about muscles or LBM.. they need energy for longer period of time so 2 cals/lb is okay for them.. as far as bodybuilders are concerned they go the other way around.. they need clear body definition so 6 cal/lb is good for them.. so its basically the choice of both according to their own requirements.

now for general public (people like us).. for what i've learned from here is.. to have muscles is like having a energy consuming machine in our body which is better for us.. cuz though we do not want to be HUGE for a compition or anything but still we want to live a healthy life.. and trust me.. being FAT is not healthy (atleast thats what i think) :)

============
Quoting from chkrvrty:

I read some conflicting information in April 2005 Runner's World (pg 65). It says muscles only burn 6 calories/lb, as opposed to fat, which burns 2 calories/lb. That means a net gain of 4 calories/lb. They quoted an article "Dissecting the Energy Needs of the Body" from a 2001 issue of Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care.

Now, I understand that a runner's magazine would stress longer-term physical activity, but on the other hand, it seems that people on a weight-training-related website might lean the other way. How do I unravel all this info and get to the truth??
==================

--------------
A life worth living is a life lived with honor and dignity..bow to no moral and bowed by none.. THATS ME
enlighten60
enlighten60
United States
2005/07/21, 11:37 AM
I am new here and what I have read and the help that I get from asimmer I'm loving it. Thank you every one
dpking44
dpking44
United States
2005/08/04, 02:26 PM
What princesslodgey said is essentially correct. Keep in mind though, eating more calories than burning = fat. In addition to eating several times a day and weight training, one must lead an active life. No couch potato'ing it!
hehe:)
dpking44
dpking44
United States
2005/08/04, 02:29 PM
What princesslodgey said is essentially correct. Keep in mind though, eating more calories than burning = fat. In addition to eating several times a day and weight training, one must lead an active life. No couch potato'ing it!
hehe:)
dpking44
dpking44
United States
2005/08/04, 02:30 PM
Whoops, sorry for the double post.:surprised:
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2005/08/06, 11:42 PM
Hey Dan! How are you? I was just asking about you the other day on another thread. Glad to see you on.

Princess this is an awesome post! Thanks for the informative thread. :big_smile:

--------------
Bettia.... The secret of getting ahead is getting started.

ravenbeauty@freetrainers.com

dpking44
dpking44
United States
2005/08/08, 08:59 AM

============
Quoting from ravenbeauty:

Hey Dan! How are you? I was just asking about you the other day on another thread. Glad to see you on.

Princess this is an awesome post! Thanks for the informative thread. :big_smile:

=============
Hey Ravenbeauty! I'm doing pretty good. I haven't been on here for a while, I know. Hope all is well with you folks.
GasTaranto
GasTaranto
Canada
2007/01/05, 08:20 PM
this may be a little off topic but where would i be able to get a specific meal plan... i have lists on the best choices and how to keep track but is there something that will give me exact meals???
frnchfry81
frnchfry81
United States
2007/01/05, 11:22 PM
I would say check out the diet threads under diets and supplements ithink it is. there is a lot there even a grocery list hope that helps
frnchfry81
frnchfry81
United States
2007/01/05, 11:25 PM
Sorry my bad its just diets the supplements is seperate but check it out there is a ton there. Honestly from what I have noticed you have to really set your own specific meals but it tells you what is healthy.
live4moment
live4moment
United Kingdom
2007/11/29, 08:39 PM
Hiya all

I know about 5 or 6 small meals through the day, and all of my life I eat 3 main meals and 1 or 2 or none snacks a day. I really want to increase my metabolism and lose body fat, and I tried to eat 5 small meals through the day but it made the shopping difficult and I ran out of ideas of recipe. Any advices? Thanks

:love:, Pamela