Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 375, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Sticky Cardio questions?

resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 3 4 of 4 pages
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/07/16, 06:56 PM
I would suggest something other than one bodypart per day if fat loss is your goal. Burning more calories while taking in less from dietary sources will give you results. If you only do one bodypart per day, even to failure, you will have to structure your diet much lower.

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
Anik_10
Anik_10
Canada
2006/07/27, 09:46 PM
I havent read the whole thread.
but this is what I am trying to do.

Gain wieght. That is my ultimate goal.
So do I do cardio or no?

I already play basketball, so my endurance and stamina are up there, but do I still do it or no?

If so? When?
Anik_10
Anik_10
Canada
2006/07/28, 02:38 PM
EDIT:

I said I play basketball, but I still need to condition for the upcoming season. Does that count as cardio?
I want to gain weight, I have a workout plan to build mass. So do I condition or no?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/07/29, 02:14 PM
Again, cardio is anything that gets your heart rate up, or up/down. Up down is like intervals. I would say if you are trying to gain, and you are in shape for basketball, I would not do more cardio. The results from the basketball will surely be enough to keep you cardiovascularly fit. You will need to increase your calories to gain.

--------------
nicety
nicety
United States
2006/08/10, 12:15 PM
I have to do my workouts in the morning, I wake up at 5am, I get to the gym at 6am. I have read the need of amino acids in the morning for workouts. So will it be okay to have whey protein shake with skim milk as soon as I wake up. will this help with amino acids? Can I have it whether I intend to do Cardoi or weights?

I dont have a lot of muscles but I only have a fat lower stomach to lose. I am 130lb, 30yr female. I am doing cardio(20-40min) monday,tuesdays,wednesdays,friday and weights(full body) thusrday and saturdays.

Thank you!

capt57
capt57
United States
2006/08/12, 06:44 PM
i recently got checked for body fat via skin fold and that machine where you enter your data, hold you arms strait out in front of you. it ended up being an avg. of 9%. i was happy and unhappy at the same time... first of all i thought i was higher and secondly it now stinks that i do not know what to aim for. i am not happy with that number. i eat correctly( no simple carbs, plenty of protein...) i work out doing two body parts three times a week and HIIT training two days a week. my question is... how do i get my body fat to where i look ripped? any suggestions?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/08/12, 06:48 PM
Those type bf measurements are notoriously wrong. They use impedance, and much depends on your water intake for the day, etc. Don't fret, one of 2 things are in play here. Either you don't have the muscle you think you do to look ripped, or the device is wrong.

--------------
capt57
capt57
United States
2006/08/12, 11:47 PM
thanks bb1, i will have to keep up the weight lifting and push push push but at the same time i have seen people that are a lot smaller than me and still look ripped (meaning all their muscles show) i believe i am in pretty good shape but am not where i want to be. but then again does anyone ever look how they want? i just dont have the cut look i want and the veins are popping out like i want. it is really frustrating.
capt57
capt57
United States
2006/08/13, 10:53 AM
i suppose the only way to get true body fat measurements is to do the water displacement test. to me the number is not really that important but the look is everything. maybe i need to be more strict on my diet? i'm not sure... i am kind of lost at this point
sucpase
sucpase
United States
2006/08/13, 07:42 PM
bb1fit- I am a 5'5 female and weigh 220, I would like to get down to at least 130-135. I am confused about how much cardio and weight training I should do. I do have a gym membership, also what should I be eating? Thank you for your reply.
sucpase
sucpase
United States
2006/08/13, 07:43 PM
bb1fit- I am a 5'5 female and weigh 220, I would like to get down to at least 130-135. I am confused about how much cardio and weight training I should do. I do have a gym membership, also what should I be eating? Thank you for your reply.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/08/13, 08:08 PM
In your case, just do it. On weight trainng days or and off from weight trainng, both are good. What I mean is weight loss rather than just fat loss is your optimal goal right now to get trimmer and healthier. Once you get to a weight point where you are this way, then you can start to be thinking about when you should do things(timing wise).

YOur diet is going to be a big factor. No matter how motivated one is, at some point more energy expenditure becomes an unreal goal. So, caloric deficit has to come from dietary means.

============
Quoting from sucpase:

=============

--------------
nicety
nicety
United States
2006/08/14, 09:22 AM
I think my post question was overlooked!

BBfit please advice...
I have to do my workouts in the morning, I wake up at 5am, I get to the gym at 6am. I have read the need of amino acids in the morning for workouts. So will it be okay to have whey protein shake with skim milk as soon as I wake up. will this help with amino acids? Can I have it whether I intend to do Cardoi or weights?

I dont have a visible muscles but I have a fat lower stomach to lose. I am 5'4.5", 130lb, 30yr female. I am doing cardio(20-40min) monday,tuesdays,wednesdays,friday and weights(full body) thusrday and saturdays.

Thank you!
capt57
capt57
United States
2006/08/14, 06:51 PM
bb1... any suggestions on the hump i cannot get over. should i just try to get to the look i want without trying to gain muscle at the same time or should i do both at the same time. i will try almost anything. nothing that the service will not allow of course. thanks for all the help
badge353
badge353
United States
2007/01/03, 10:44 AM
Great Post and answered several of my questions. Thanks
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/01/03, 01:22 PM
What 'hump' is it you are trying to get over?

============
Quoting from capt57:

bb1... any suggestions on the hump i cannot get over. should i just try to get to the look i want without trying to gain muscle at the same time or should i do both at the same time. i will try almost anything. nothing that the service will not allow of course. thanks for all the help
=============

--------------
"If it ain't broke, you aren't trying."

raiderfanusa
raiderfanusa
United States
2007/02/01, 03:21 PM
I am and have been significantly overweight for years. I have lost plenty of weight doing cardio and eatig healthy. I made the switch to weight training off and on a few years ago but failed in consistancy. I have for the past few months since going ahead with a membership at one of my local gyms put into practice what I have learned here. I have been very consistant. I still have weight to loose but my primary focus is on my weight training. I do cardio for 30 minutes each day I weight train (5 days a week). For me right now I am seeing more muscle and looking different but my weight shows little fluctuation in fact I have gained a few pounds. I am not worried about the weight particulairly because I watch my diet closely as I want to build muscle so I dont starve myself but limit my calories. I feel like I am on the right track. My hope is that the weight will take care of itself as my BMI continues to improve over time. Any Input on this is greatly appreciated.

--------------
Only two defending forces have ever offered to die for You. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. Both died for your Freedom!
raiderfanusa
raiderfanusa
United States
2007/02/01, 03:29 PM
I faild to say that I know that I will stop the cardio following my weight training at some point. I can only hope I will know when the optimum time is.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/02/03, 12:24 AM
If you have gained some muscle, this will explain the weight gain.

--------------
"If it ain't broke, you aren't trying."

raiderfanusa
raiderfanusa
United States
2007/02/05, 01:11 PM
Ron, I have gained muscle I am sure if it. I am getting stronger every week. Is there some rough target BF% that when I reach I should do cardio on off days or with 8 hours or so inbetween instead of immediately following weight training? I am not sure of my % right now but I am certian I have a ways to go before worring about it.

--------------
Only two defending forces have ever offered to die for You. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. Both died for your Freedom!
brachii
brachii
Canada
2007/02/26, 06:04 PM
Very informative, Thank you

--------------
\"I\'m not concerned with body building; I\'m just trying to make people normal human beings\" - Joseph Pilates

brachii
jasandalex
jasandalex
United States
2008/02/11, 03:42 PM
what type of cardio should i be doing to loose not only weight but inches in the places that are the hardest to loose them?
2008/02/11, 04:06 PM
Cardio will help, but you really need to lift weights to change the shape of your body. Hopefully you have access to weights.

============
Quoting from jasandalex:

what type of cardio should i be doing to loose not only weight but inches in the places that are the hardest to loose them?
=============
oneeyedtrapper
oneeyedtrapper
United States
2008/03/05, 12:43 PM
Thanks BB1fit.... You answered alot of questions without me having to ask...Great post!!!! Donnie
corless319
corless319
United States
2008/03/07, 12:29 PM
null if you have extra poundage i think you could lift without eating before but usually its good to eat afterward at least a small amount the best way to drop the lbs is dieting. look at what you eat and take a 5th off of that calorie wise see if anything happens.
cgculbert
cgculbert
Canada
2008/03/09, 11:16 AM
Well honestly I really am looking to get in shape and the mentality is there but sadly I completely messed up my knee when I played football when I was younger, sadly this means that getting out there and running is out of the question. Any ideas?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/03/26, 12:07 PM
you can run/jog in a pool, do water workouts, some places even offer water cycling.

Can you ride a bike? Often people with problem knees find the recumbent bike a doable option for cardio, harder to get your heart rate up, but I like to do overhead arm movements, etc to get my heart rate up while cycling.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/03/30, 08:21 PM
This post is not only a reply to you, but a post to everyone who asks this type question...time and time again this comes up. One must realize, if you have read any of my posts in the past you will see over and over again I say use cardio as an 'extension of your diet', not the other way around.

To elaborate a bit, weight loss/fat loss is a direct result of caloric restriction. If you depend soley on cardio, you will more than likely never drop any lbs., or very little.

Think about it, in a typical cardio session, you may burn 300 calories, in even the most extreme cardio session say 500. Now, eat one Snickers bar, and guess what, no caloric reduction. Now you will get cardiovascularly healthier, but if you do the math, you will be able to see how no or very little weight loss can be achieved.

So folks, the moral of the story, concentrate on your diet, use cardio as an 'arm' of your diet. This will yield you the results you are afer.
============
Quoting from sucpase:

=============

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/04/14, 02:40 PM
Missed that reply, probably another nut job who just doesn't get it. Bottom line here, no amount of exercise, whether cardio or hundreds of crunches will help reveal a six pack or just get you leaner if your abs or any body part are hidden under a layer of fat.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

lovethewater
lovethewater
United States
2008/07/24, 05:13 PM
i never thought of it that way, diet is def important
ncurd
ncurd
United States
2008/09/09, 08:27 PM
Is it ok if I skip cardio most of the time? I have very little fat on my body (6' 2'', 159 lbs). Only fat I cannot get rid of is in the lower abdominal and hip/love-handle areas.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/09/10, 10:39 AM
ncurd - you could probably skip cardio and focus on lifting. heavy lifting and cleaning up your diet will help get rid of your abdominal fat/love handles.

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/09/19, 08:48 AM
Alternately you could use a circuit type routine. This is great at achieving some nice body strength while it rivals any cardio workout.

--------------

luv2flip
luv2flip
United States
2008/10/09, 01:42 AM
I have a question..I have more muscle than I want so I don't want to gain muscle, but I do want to loose weight with out loosing muscle. So, should I do more cardio than weights, or more weights than cardio?
JO3MAMA2969
JO3MAMA2969
United States
2008/12/09, 05:57 PM
Hi everyone, I need some help over here....I'm 30 years old, 5'8 and I weight 325lb( four months ago I was 350lb )
Please advise what should I do to loose more weight and tone up... Should I just to cardio or lift weights too??
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/12/18, 10:06 AM
This is new...interesting slant on cardio....

Vigorous aerobic exercise suppresses appetite by triggering the release of the appetite suppressing hormone peptide YY and lowering levels of the appetite stimulating hormone ghrelin, suggest recent study results.

David J. Stensel and colleagues from Britain?s Loughborough University and Sheffield Hallam University enrolled 11 male university students for their study of the effect of exercise on appetite and the appetite-regulating hormones peptide YY and ghrelin. Each participant was required to take part in three eight-hour sessions: one in which they ran for 60 minutes on a treadmill, and then rested for seven hours; another in which they did 90 minutes of weight lifting, and then rested for six hours and 30 minutes; and a third session during which the participants did no exercise.

Results showed that ghrelin levels dropped and peptide YY levels increased during the aerobic exercise session on the treadmill. Whilst ghrelin levels dropped but peptide YY levels did not change significantly during the weight-lifting session (resistance exercise). The participants also filled out hunger questionnaires after each exercise session. Results of the questionnaires showed that both aerobic and resistance exercise suppressed hunger, but aerobic exercise produced a greater suppression of hunger. However, appetite suppression was only short-lived ? lasting for approximately two hours, including the time spent exercising.

?The finding that hunger is suppressed during and immediately after vigorous treadmill running is consistent with previous studies indicating that strenuous aerobic exercise transiently suppresses appetite,? Dr Stensel said in a news release. ?The findings suggest a similar, although slightly attenuated response, for weight lifting exercise.?

Broom DR, Batterham RL, King JA, Stensel DJ. The influence of resistance and aerobic exercise on hunger, circulating levels of acylated ghrelin and peptide YY in healthy males. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. Published online November 5th 2008. doi: 10.1152/ajpregu.90706.2008

News release: Exercise Suppresses Appetite by Affecting Appetite Hormones. American Physiological Society. December 11th 2008.

--------------

bosher529
bosher529
United States
2009/02/03, 12:10 PM
if i only have one hour a dad to work out...can i do weights and then cardio mins after?
kaydee1
kaydee1
United States
2009/02/18, 12:28 PM
I have been working out since Jan 1st. I ahve been watching what I eat as well as hitting the gym 6 days a week. I was doing only cardio, but was told lifting "helps" to lose weight. What I do is 20-25 mins of intense cardio, then about 30 mins of weight lifting (biceps one day, triceps next, legs, etc....) I have only lost twon pounds in a month and a half. People say it is become I am building muscle, but I am getting discouraged not seeing the scale go down. I only have the time to workout an hour-hour and half each day, so I can't spread out my workout. Please give me some suggestions, and help to see if I should be worried so much about 'losing weight'. BTW, I wnat to get toned and lose weight, I am 5'6 and 176 lbs. Thanks in advance.

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

Ok, this is a topic that is constantly brought up, and thought it would be a great sticky. Cardio?is it best before, after, another day, is it right at all? All these are legitimate questions and have to be answered a bit differently for different circumstances.

First off, this is a very general rule to go by, and takes 1st precedence.

Resistance training should always take priority over cardio. Here's why....

The long term gains of increased LBM (lean body mass) and increased secretion of hormones like GH and test far outweigh the calories burnt during a cardio session..

By doing cardio before weights you are simply reducing the amount of glycogen available that could have been used more effectively to fuel your muscles throughout the weight training session...This point cannot be stressed enough.

Here are the top 3 scenarios for doing weights and cardio in order of importance:

#1 - On non-weight training days
#2 - weights in the am and cardio in the pm
#3 - light-cardio after weights

Now, that being said, here are a couple scenarios that are most proposed/asked about by folks, so different protocols need/can be effective. For the person who is lean and wanting to save muscle mass while burning fat, then the above scenarios cannot be altered in any way! You are asking for loss of lean tissue if you do cardio on an empty stomach or any such nonsense. You are already into a catabolic state from the overnight fast, and you are compounding this by doing cardio without fuel. Cortisol will be running rampant, and eating at your lean tissue for fuel. The body is very adept at breaking down amino acids for glucose, and will greedily do so. Cortisol will liberate amino acids to produce glucose (glucose cannot be synthesized from fats) and can lead to muscle loss. I would propose the best scenario here would be to treat your cardio session as you do your resistance training session. Albeit a different PWO formula (protein/fiber/fats will fit the bill here, no impact on insulin, thus keep any lypololysis induced during your cardio session intact)), but still with the same intensity and purpose. You would not dream of working out on an empty stomach, would you? Never work out on an empty stomach. True, you will burn a buttload of calories, but they will be as much lean tissue as fat. Never sacrifice lean tissue (long term results) for a short term fix.

It is also perfectly fine to do a ?warm up? session of cardio before your weight training session if you are mid range, not real lean but not lots of fat stores either. But, here you are on that borderline of getting a lean hard body, and building lean tissue should be your number one priority. But make sure this is no more than a warm up, just to get blood flowing. 5 minutes at most should suffice. I personally prefer to warm up with the exercise I am going to do?i.e?weights.

Now, on the other hand, if you have plenty of fat to spare, it can really become a non issue. I believe this is/should be obvious. You can do your cardio even before if you like, or even on an empty stomach, as in this case total calorie burn is your issue and not saving lean mass, for you probably don?t have enough to save or you have as stated plenty of fat stores to give up. Your body will freely give up fat stores in this case, but still, make your weight session your priority as per the long term benefits.

But, no matter what your physique may be at the time, do not center your workout around cardio. Make certain you incorporate resistance training, as this will in the long run be your best friend in the battle of the bulge. Lean tissue is a fat burner 24 hrs. per day, a cardio session ends when you stop doing it. (A little different with HIIT, but this is another whole subject.):big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

=============
climber11
climber11
Canada
2009/12/15, 12:38 PM
If cardio and weight traning suppresses appetite, will your body absorb anything you refuel with if it is eaten right after a workout, does appetite suppression mean absorption suppression?

What would be the best thing to refuel on after weight traning?

--------------
Strength,Focus and Flow
emery92ax
emery92ax
United States
2010/02/24, 04:44 PM
Hi BB1, I hope I'm not too late to ask a question here. The information so far has been soo helpful, and it has totally reinforced what I've been told already by a trainer at my gym. Me and my husband just started a gym membership, and I have a lot to lose. Specifically, I am 300lbs, the biggest I've seen on here. Our trainer has suggested everything you have here, focusing on the weight training. We have a 6 day plan with 3 days being weight training and 3 days cardio, which we are doing together in the evenings. I have zero patience which is to my detriment. Besides the evening, my gym is open at 5 am and I would have time to go additionally alone in the morning before work. Would you recommend this? And if so, what, cardio or weights? And I really like aerobics, is this ok for my cardio days?
Ectoman
Ectoman
United States
2010/03/25, 08:41 PM
How much and what type of cardio should I do per week? I am naturally slender and starting a basic 3-day split weight lifting routine. Like many people, I want to gain muscle mass and minimize fat. I am guessing 2-3 cardio sessions per week running on treadmill at a moderate pace for 20-30 mins, but I do not know!
MoonWoolf
MoonWoolf
Latvia
2010/05/15, 03:19 AM
One guy telling how,to get 6-pack at home. 3 good tips.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7c62HtLbJU
2011/04/26, 08:54 PM
I'd like to see that one!
moresugar
moresugar
United States
2011/07/20, 09:22 PM
What eludes me, more than anything is why it is assumed that one seperates their cardio from their weight training in the first place. This method of training is pretty specific to body-building and in my experience and opinion, not the best way to view exercise in general. I think questions or statements like this can perpetuate a notion that one must train like a bodybuilder when their goal is one of Health. I encourage my clients to achieve anerobic conditions by weight training using full-body functional exercises, not to waste their time on cardio machinery that usually causes muscle tightness and postural deviations from the high reps of a small range of motion.
People get a subliminal mesage everytime they enter a gym, sit here in this machine and push these handles/pads/bars and you'll build muscle. Go over there and use one of those $6,000 machines and get your heart-rate up.
What we should do is move weights like our ancestors have done for 200,000 years and accoumplish both at once, and you won't need any fancy machines. Quit sitting and laying down and training one muscle at a time. Also, it's virtually impossible to plateau when you do cardio from a bucket of weight training lifts that is as infinite as the many ways you can use your body in the real world.

icardio1
icardio1
United States
2016/06/21, 01:14 PM
Some great information... thanks for the post
resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 3 4 of 4 pages