Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

My Crow Waits...

tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2003/05/20, 12:29 PM
Sorry – Micro-weights.

I just ordered two sets of 1.25 lb magnetic micro weights. My reasoning is that I find certain DB exercises (lateral raises come to mind) to be difficult in increments of 10 pounds (per set of DBs) and that the exercise gets stale week after week if I don’t really see some type of progress. So I thought that this would be a great way to:

(1) continuously increase my work load on such exercises (even if in small increments),

(2) provide psychological motivation of constant "improvement", and

(3) further reduce the Saxman fortune so that I die poor, but completely buff.

Anyway, now that I’ve already placed the order for these little gems, I thought it was the perfect time (AFTER the fact - in true TSMD fashion) to share my story so that all of you can tell me this was a complete waste of money and that I am delusional for even considering using micro weights.

So, anybody ever use these? Pros/Cons? Stupid idea on my part?

TSMD
jefado
jefado
United States
2003/05/20, 12:34 PM
Lateral raises are difficult :o)
Anything that helps with those cannot be a waste <smile>
jefado
jefado
United States
2003/05/20, 12:35 PM
Though I've never used micro weights....YOU'll have to let ME know how well they work :o)
tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2003/05/20, 12:38 PM
Will do, J.

TSMD
hangclaw
hangclaw
United States
2003/05/20, 05:02 PM
i couldn't agree more on the weight increments issue for laterals. 10 pound increments??? you can lift 10 lbs? you are so much stronger than me, that i should just put the 'micros' on lol.

john
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/05/20, 05:10 PM
You know I was once told (cause I was adding 2.5 lbs on either side) that a 10 increase for most exercises is really not that heavy. I happen to aggree for the most part. While lateral raises are hard, at some point you will increase...so do what you gotta do but do not stop or fear adding more than you think you can...hmmmmI just thought of a good post to write...see ya!

--------------
deadlifts rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2003/05/20, 06:37 PM
The increases are all relative. A 10 pound increase may be nothing during the warm up lifts, but when you get to your heavy one-rep max, a 2 pound increase may break you. Just as an example: if you have a 400 pound 1 rep max in the squat, you would not believe what 405 feels like, if you can lift it all. Heavy training takes alot of time and dedication. When you stick to it, you will achieve more...

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/05/20, 09:58 PM
I have been working lateral raises regularly for the last 7 weeks and started at 7.5, then went to 10, now I'm at 12. When I swithced up to 12 I couldn't even do 10 reps!
I have been at them on and off for the last 2 years. They are killers. The micro weights sound like a good investment!

--------------
We must become the change we want to see.

Ivan Montreal Canada (aka SpongeBob Square Pants to some!)
tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2003/05/21, 07:37 AM
Good feedback guys. Thanks.

TSMD
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/05/21, 09:57 AM
I like your style tenorsaxman...I love reason # 3! But in all honesty, you are making strides as you are able. This is key. If you are upping your intensity in any way, either decreasing your rest time, increasing weights, increasing reps, whatever, you are making positive strides. 2.5 lbs. can be a ton on exercises when you are at a max. So go for it, you will be buff!!

--------------
As far as genetics go, the skies the limit. You are limited only by your mental perception of it.

Ron
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/05/21, 10:18 AM
Ok I did not mean to say that 2.5 at a time is not a good increase. what I was trying to say is that there are times when adding that amount may be counter productive to progessive gains. However being as i have been on the end of adding too much weight I would say to add wht you can, just do not be afraid to add more!

--------------
hangclaw
hangclaw
United States
2003/05/21, 11:28 AM
Phew again. I thought 12 lbs was an embaressment. I too could barely lift it for 10 reps. But it did get easier the next couple times. I love this site. I learn so much here. Sorry for borrowing your thread TSMD.
tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2003/05/21, 11:36 AM
Rev 8 – Amen, brother. Preach on!

Carivan, I’ll let ya know how they work out. They’re on their way to my house this very moment, so it looks like my Thursday workout will be the trial run... I agree, laterals can really be killers. One needs lots of focus to maintain correct form throughout. Congrats on your progress.

Thanks for that vote of confidence, BB1. My goal has been to do exactly what you said – continue to always up the intensity. More weights, more reps, less rest time, etc. And I know that any one of these is a sign that I’m improving, but I really like to see a weight increase (silly, eh?!). Even a small amount of a weight increase is a bigger motivator for me than, say, 1 extra rep or 30 seconds less rest between sets. It remains to be seen about the “buff” part LOL, but as I always say, getting there is the fun part. Actually, I wouldn’t know what “being there” feels like – I’ve never been “there”. C’mon, BB1, you’re buff. Is it more fun getting there or being there?!

Hangclaw – you always crack me up! LOL You my friend are proof that one doesn’t need to do 50 pound laterals to be an inspiration. Keep at it, man!

Hey Mutt, I got ya completely. I know what you mean, but please understand, I’m not afraid to add weight. “Saxman fear nothing! <beats chest>!”

Seriously, it may not seem like it to some of you FT iron beasts, but I do push myself. And the weights I use are the most I can handle safely. I know this and that’s what matters to me. The vast majority of the time I spend in the gym, I struggle for every ounce that I lift. Granted, not a delt workout goes by that I don’t recall my past shoulder injury, and play things a little conservative at times, but I still push myself overall. I recall my recent single squat attempt that resulted in a single, gut-wrenching, sweat-soaked, ugly repetition with 405 on the bar. My intensity, focus, drive, and desire were no less than when I did my last set of laterals with 1/20th that weight. And I felt just as pumped and motivated when I threw those 20’s down as I did when I racked the 405. And that feeling is what it’s all about for me. I hope that the use of the 1.25 magnetic weights will allow me to keep that motivation high and keep inching my DB weights upward (safely). Hey, I’ve not yet resorted to hypnosis, one of those electronic ab belts, or that lady who says to “...breathe your way to a slimmer and fitter you!...”. And I’ve not yet become that guy at my gym who does bench presses 5 day a week with too much weight and bounces the bar off his rib cage rep after agonizing rep... Just trying to keep it real!

TSMD
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/05/21, 11:46 AM
Seriously, it may not seem like it to some of you FT iron beasts, but I do push myself......never thought that you push me man to lift more. It is like I said in another post what weight you lift is you heavy lifting......cause it is all relative to you.....Keep going man lift hard and forever!

--------------
tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2003/05/21, 12:00 PM
Thanks, Mutt. Right back at ya.

TSMD
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/05/21, 09:57 PM
LOL....both getting there and being there are cool. Getting there is pretty cool, the fact of seeing all the hard work come to fruition, seeing your body change from a soft smooth blubbery thing into a nice lean, toned hardbody is pretty awesome because of the amount of effort put forth. If someone has never actually taken things to this level, it is hard to comprehend the trials and tribulations in the journey. There is no break, not easy way out, no I will do it tomorrow. Each single day is an entity in itself, that you can never get back. You either lose in rest time, or workout time, some way, but it does set you back. Hard core is the answer here. Only those who have this kind of drive achieve this in the face of all adversity. You will run into daily, "freinds" wanting to feed you, wanting you to go out an have some "fun", etc. Family matters, and then your everyday occurences. They come out of the blue. Swatting them away and keeping focused gets harder, t=and the closer you get to your goal, it gets even harder, because the push has to be that much harder to succeed. Hell, even your own body fights you, wanting to hold that fat!

Being there is cool too, just knowing you can rip off your shirt any time and heads will turn. Knowing that while watching 2 guys struggle to pick something up at work, you could probably do it by yourself, and you just snicker. And, being at a state where your diet is now yours. You know you can basically eat anything you want, you know what to do to get it off if needed, or if done sensibly enough, this isnt' even necessary since muscle mass burns so many more calories anyway. So many cool reasons for both.

I think you are on your way to experiencing these things. You sound like you have the drive, keep it up. Stay focused, you will find out first hand!

--------------
As far as genetics go, the skies the limit. You are limited only by your mental perception of it.

Ron
tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2003/05/22, 07:41 AM
Hey, when I take my shirt off, heads turn! Stomachs, too! Thanks BB1!

TSMD
tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2003/05/23, 08:41 AM
First day using micros. So far I like them. Used them on my lateral raises today. Could never seem to get 30-lb DBs with good form on laterals - and psychologically, the 25's were just getting old. But, 25's with the micros today did the trick. Upped the weight, maintained my form, got over the psychological hump, and got a good pump to boot! Woo Hoo!

TSMD
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/05/23, 08:45 AM
Nice job!!!!!!

--------------
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/05/23, 09:23 PM
Way to go saxman, you made progress. That is what this is all about, steady progression in some way. And I am sure the saxman fortune is still intact!

--------------

Ron
tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2003/06/02, 12:16 PM
I used the micro weights again today on DB shoulder presses and on hammer curls. I don't use them every workout, but they do come in handy at least once a week. Still happy with the purchase.

TSMD