Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Which method is better

newanddiff
newanddiff
United States
2008/02/07, 04:30 PM
Hey everyone
hoping you can help me. i started working out recently in hopes of loosing a lot of weight and fat. what weight routine is better for weight loss, small weight high rep or high weight low rep. for example today i did flat bench press with 50 60 65 lbs dumb bells with 12, 12, and 8 reps each. is that good for muscle building and fat loss or should i do 50 lbs the whole time with much higher reps? also which muscle groups should i focus on to start with? thanks
gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2008/02/08, 07:03 AM
I would go with 10, 8, 8, 6 with slightly higher weights for now. Then later lower your reps and increase your weight and sets even more once you get comfortable with your form. With the heavier weight dumbells I like to either have someone spot me or lay on a flat bench with the olympic 45lb bar racked a notch or two above my head for protection in case of failure. Just keeps the dumbbell from making contact with my face you know. :) good luck.
dobbs8
dobbs8
United States
2008/02/26, 04:45 PM
If your looking for weight loss and lifting at the same time..dont do high weights and low reps..bad idea you will get bulky quick because all that fat will turn into muscle and you will look very bulky unless thats the look your looking for. Run and exercise before your lifting..work on shoulders a lot..you will get defined quicker use about 50 lbs on flat dumbell press with 15 reps, about 3-4 sets. Use about 60-80% of what you can lift with 15-20 reps. Good luck bro
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/02/26, 05:55 PM
That has to be probably the worst collective set of advice I've ever heard.

Lifting weights with heavy weight and low reps will not cause you to get "bulky" unless you eat like you want to get "bulky".

Running prior to lifting tires you out for your lifting and thus decreases the benefits that you can recieve. Lift first, run after if you can't on a separate time.

Random sets and rep ranges....if you're going to post something like that include the full workout.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/02/26, 09:02 PM
Fat will turn into muscle? You guys should really do some research at least to give a legitimate answer. This is the bad advice that gives the internet a bad name.

It is impossible to turn fat to muscle, or muscle to fat.

============
Quoting from Dobbs8:

If your looking for weight loss and lifting at the same time..dont do high weights and low reps..bad idea you will get bulky quick because all that fat will turn into muscle and you will look very bulky unless thats the look your looking for. Run and exercise before your lifting..work on shoulders a lot..you will get defined quicker use about 50 lbs on flat dumbell press with 15 reps, about 3-4 sets. Use about 60-80% of what you can lift with 15-20 reps. Good luck bro
=============

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer