Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

When does time off become a benefit?

Ogun
Ogun
United States
2003/11/10, 12:27 AM
Lads and ladies,
At what fine line would one decide that time off would be more beneficial than the workout itself?
I've been pre-diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis (a form of arthritis in the back) as well as diagnosed with plantar fasciitis, and arthritis of the knee.
I wouldn't be too concerned about time off right now except for the fact that I'm in a gaining phase, and I fear that if I don't work it right, it'll turn to fat. For example, two weeks ago I was 185 lbs., and now I'm 195. I've been really upping the protein and varying the routine and I'm gaining, probably muscle and fat.
I need a solution; I will do whatever the majority of you guys recommend...but keep in mind, I'm seriously still motivated on my program, which has run steady and unwavering for 16 months now.

--------------
--There are no versions of the truth.--
Jeff Goldblum, Jurassic Park II
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2003/11/10, 10:19 AM
I take a week off every 6-9 weeks. I take 2 weeks off every 3-4 months. You need to do that if you are going to recover and get stronger and bigger. 16 straight weeks is a long time and it sounds like you are suffering typical overtraining injuries.
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2003/11/10, 10:25 AM
Wow, I just reread your post and realized you said 16 straight months. You need to take some time off bro. You are definitely suffering from overtraining syndrome.
Ogun
Ogun
United States
2003/11/10, 07:21 PM
Oh dude, sorry; I have taken a break or two during that time (once for about 2 weeks, and a couple of 1 weekers). Thanks for the input...but basically what I'm saying is that ... aww forget it, I can't stay away from the gym :))

--------------
I_Am-aZon
I_Am-aZon
Canada
2003/11/19, 01:23 PM
Wow! Are you guys serious? I thought maybe for powerlifters taking breaks is absolutely necessary, but since I bb I figured an occasional missed Friday would be enough. I've been 15 months straight training and loving it - is this wrong?? I don't want to break!
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2003/11/19, 02:18 PM
I_Am-azon, you MUST take breaks if you want progress. Training without sufficient breaks will only end up being detrimental.
*Tisk, Tisk* Don't you remember what I said in your journal (LOL):

"I think it's really a smart move for everyone who lifts, no matter what their goal may be, to take a week off every so often. As I'm sure you know, muscles grow during rest, not during the lifting. And, as with any machine, your body needs to get a break in order to make progress."

The big three things for success: Eating, training, sleeping!

--------------
Michael

Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!
Chaos, Panic, Disorder.... Yes, my work here is done!
I_Am-aZon
I_Am-aZon
Canada
2003/11/19, 02:33 PM
Dammmm I didn't think you were paying attention Rev. I can't get away with anything! lol
i81b4u81
i81b4u81
Canada
2003/11/19, 03:01 PM
How about for a nagging injury that will take months to heal (shoulder)It affects just about everything. Is there a balance between healing and lifting so I don't have to completely stop for a long time.
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2003/11/19, 03:10 PM
I take a week off every 6-9 weeks and come back stronger and my body comp is always a little bit better after the layoff. You have to give your body's endocrine, nervous, muscular and immune systems a chance to recover from training. It is more than just letting muscles heal. A rest break recharges you mentally as well as physically. You come back hungry to train after a week off, at least I do. Don't take my word for it. Try it and you will see.
Ogun
Ogun
United States
2003/11/21, 03:16 AM
I agree with gatormade for both I_Am-azon and i81b4u81 (cool name hehe) and I would like to add that during that healing time that you take off, which will refresh your spirit and body and re-spark your motivation, watch your diet and keep those calories in check since, although you may have boosted your metabolism in training, you will be less active for that small period of time.

Other than that, the rest period does miracles. I simply get confused on how often because I'm a little TOO motivated like I_Am_azon. We are somewhat dangerous to ourselves.

--------------
I_Am-aZon
I_Am-aZon
Canada
2003/11/21, 10:46 AM
Thats so true Ogun - I don't need time off to become re-motivated - I am probably over-motivated which I see may become detrimental to myself. I am wondering - would 4-5 days count as enough time off? Or maybe just doing cardio (trying to find a loophole lol) Gads! I can't just sit around doing nothing - I may go crazy (er) lol Seriously though, I appreciate the advice everyone and I will take it to heart.

i81b4u81: Have you seen a doctor/physiotherapist about that injury yet? It may help to find out precisesly what is causing the pain - I am asking because I think you asked about it in a previous post.
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2003/11/26, 12:05 PM
I'm motivated too and I used to be just like you. Training too hard all of the time and never taking time to heal. I pay for those mistakes now because I am torn up. I am motivated to do it right now and work smart as opposed to just working hard. I have been training nearly 17 years and I speak from experience on this topic.
mzright72
mzright72
United States
2004/01/16, 01:20 PM
wow.. you guys.. you all know time off is sooo important.. I_Am-azon.. I know how hard it is.. I am the same way you are.. and bodybuild as well.. it's like pulling teeth to take time off.. but, our bodies need it.. whether our minds think so or not..

Train hard and be focused.. but, never lose sight of the goal!!

Amanda
mzright72
mzright72
United States
2004/01/16, 01:21 PM
wow.. you guys.. you all know time off is sooo important.. I_Am-azon.. I know how hard it is.. I am the same way you are.. and bodybuild as well.. it's like pulling teeth to take time off.. but, our bodies need it.. whether our minds think so or not..

Train hard and be focused.. but, never lose sight of the goal!!

Amanda
Andreyisgood
Andreyisgood
United States
2004/02/09, 10:42 PM
During the time off, is it okay to do running or martial arts training or should that be put off too?

--------------
-Andrey

Visionary is a self-fulfilling prophet. Do not predict the future.
Create it.
-Leland Kaiser
allanmca
allanmca
United States
2004/02/18, 06:11 PM
Glad I read this, I didn't know anything about needing to take breaks now and again. Had been mixing gym and cardio 4-5 time a week for over 6 months, but had a car wreck (not my fault!) a couple of weeks back. Been able to run a bit, but tonight was my first time back on the weights. Feels good and I got a different, positive sensation in my biceps than I had when I doing the weights so regularly.
Wayhey, a break now and again!!!

Cheers
Allan
Soldierbone
Soldierbone
United States
2004/02/26, 09:15 AM
With any training, give yourself rest periods. I body build, swim, jog, and take yoga. I give myself breaks from one at a time so I always have something to do.

Christina:dumbbell:
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/03/11, 11:39 PM
I always feel fresh and revived with a new resolve when I take some time off.