Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

What works for you?

Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/06/12, 11:57 PM
For those of use that have a tendency to eat larger than needed portions, who can't stop eating, who binge, who emotional eat, who happy eat....what have you found is a good distraction from F O O D for you?

At first I found working out helped, but I couldn't work out 24/7 so that didn't work in every case, so I am now keeping real low to none calorie/carb snacks in the house so I can grab something quick! -And eating more small meals throughout the day and keeping my water handy.

'Course I like to eat too large of portions, too, and that is probably the hardest to control - all I have found to do right now is don't take seconds.

How 'bout you?

--------------
Veda
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
When you\'re up to your ears in trouble, try using the part that isn\'t submerged.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/06/13, 10:48 AM
Measure out your portions and immediately put the rest away in a container. Have a large glass of water before you eat. brush your teeth right after you eat. Go for a walk. Eventually your stomach and appetite will get used to smaller portions.
Another trick is to use a smaller plate, so it looks filled up with food instead of your smaller portions sitting on a big, empty looking plate.

Get a cheap food sclae and measure everything for a few weeks - then you can eyeball portions better. It made a huge difference for me when i started to weigh and measure everything.
Keeping a food journal is time-consuming, but useful - it makes you accountable and it helps to look back and see what you were doing and why you may or may not have lost your weight that week.

--------------
If you fall down seven times, get up eight.

I\'m not lazy, I\'m energetically challenged.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2004/06/14, 02:29 AM
Never start to eat anything with white sugar..........
When you start it's sooooo difficult to stop! :surprised:

And always try to remember how BAD you'll feel after and that you are the only one to change things.

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
www.nme-pro.com
2004/06/14, 11:43 AM
What Phliia said works best for me. If I go off the straight and narrow, its hell to get back on. Also regular eating patterns help me in the fight. Remember H.A.L.T. Never get too hungry-angry-lonely-tired. Water Water Water.

--------------
Foolish consistancies are the hobgoblins of small minds.

Charlie
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/07/12, 11:07 AM
I have goals I set.....and let nothing stand in the way of achieving it. Goals are long, life is short. In my mind, any "junk" eating will just hinder my progress, and it is hard enough to achieve with every aspect being perfect, let alone throwning a wrench into the mix.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
t-babe
t-babe
United Kingdom
2004/07/13, 12:43 PM
When you get a food craving try and do/think about something else. Basically if you get your brain involved in some other activity it forgets about the craving. Works for me sometimes. Other option would be to drink a glass of water and see if that helps. Why don't you try putting a couple of stickes on your cupboards and fridge doors. You can even write out your own, either quotes from the site or rip out stuff from magazines. Anything that stops you from having an unhealthy snack. Good luck. :)
swimgal85
swimgal85
United States
2004/09/24, 08:28 PM
I find that checking up on my emotions is a good way to cut back on portions. Also, I find going out to eat with friends and only bringing a certian amount of money helped me learn to eat less in portion size. My stomach eventually shrunk and now my appetite is much healthier and eating portions is a natural thing.

--------------
swimgal

Getting through a horrible day and still feeling like you did your best is the biggest accomplishment. - unknown
swimgal85
swimgal85
United States
2004/09/24, 08:48 PM
I don't really look for a distraction from food... when I first tried to get a handle on it I would say ok... If I have to eat in front of the tv for an hour, it'll be lettuce or chopped fruit. Then eventually I was able to allow myself one thing or two things. And now rather than try to not think about food. I tell myself that I can always have it tomorrow, so I don't need to have it all today. hope this helps, we'll be here for ya!

--------------
swimgal

Getting through a horrible day and still feeling like you did your best is the biggest accomplishment. - unknown
DaniDIEt
DaniDIEt
United States
2004/09/25, 04:39 PM
I try to distract myself, but it is quite unfortunate that the distractions I find are not healthy for me. I do write alot about what I am feeling but when I read back I think that I am crazy for obsessing so much about food.
One thing about me: It seems once I start eating, I just can't stop.
McCupcake
McCupcake
Canada
2004/10/07, 10:02 AM
The more I try to avoid food the more I think about it. I just go on with life as usual and I find that I'm an emotional eater, a bored eater and a happy eater. To be frank, I just love food. haha I'm usually ok once I get some comfort flavor in my mouth. I usually have sugarfree gum on hand 24/7 and crystal lite to drink. I also just don't eat things with lots of sugar in it or salt..(Ohh how I miss salt) but I have no self restraint once I start so I avoid completely. :big_smile: So far so good. :)
bobosensei
bobosensei
United States
2004/10/08, 03:14 PM
actually gum is not good for stopping my cravings. i find that the chewing makes me salivate, which makes me hungrier. i didn't believe a friend who told me this until i stopped chewing gum and looked back and realized she was right. plus if there is nothing but my sugarfree gum, i'll eat the whole pack like its food. i've noticed that sugarfree products that are in gum (and caffeine too) irritate my irritable bowel syndrome. when i am eating right i have no irritable bowels. thinking hey this cup of coffee is gonna give me diarrhea can usually make me stop and think twice before drinking it
McCupcake
McCupcake
Canada
2004/10/10, 10:51 PM
Hrmm, I'll have to try not chewing the gum! I like to chew it because it puts a flavor in my mouth and normally thats all I need and I'm satified. :)
nutritionworks
nutritionworks
United States
2004/10/11, 06:00 AM
I am curious if you are skipping breakfast. Make sure you are eating at least 20-25 grams of protein in the morning. This is very important on any program whether you are trying to build muscle or trying to lose weight. Skipping this at the beginning of the day sends your body into storage mode. Also eat healthy snacks in between your 3 basic meals, about half way between. This was already mentioned, but water is critical. Most people mistake thirst fro hunger. When you feel hungry outside of your planned meal schedule, try a glass of water. Drink 6-8 glasses per day. Hope that helps!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2004/10/12, 01:54 AM
I don't know if you have this thing in the States but I just discovered GUAR GUM. It's completely natural but it reeeaaally keeps my stomach full and control my hunger.
I mix 4-5gr with my morning oats (or protein shake) and I eat less during the entire day!........ :big_smile:

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
www.nme-pro.com