Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

weights - method

Snarf
Snarf
United Kingdom
2008/06/29, 02:24 PM
Hiya
just hoping for a bit of advice re weight training.

I'm really trying to build strength. I'm not too bothered about how I look (well..you know, I kinda am!) it's just that I want to be physically strong. I'm wondering what's the best way of doing that, and if anyone can critique what I'm doing now.

I go to the gym about 3 times a week. I am doing cardio (interval training) to get fit and build stamina, but this post is mainly about building strength.

This is what I do:
chest press - 40kg
shoulder press - 20kg
lat pull down - 40kg
seated leg push machine thing (!) - 67kg

From what I've read about how to build strength, I'm doing 3 sets of about 5. These are heavy weights for me, and I'm struggling by the last one. I can't always complete the full 5. Once I've done it, I sometimes do one rep of the next weight up, just for good measure! (after a short rest!)

Is this ok? Should I do more machines? Should I do it as a circuit - do all the above twice?

I know I don't do much for legs, that's mainly cos they get a workout when I'm running or on crosstrainer.

and I know I probably should use free weights, but I am a beginner, and I'm worried about getting technique wrong. There's more chance of that with free weights. Plus I'm self conscious and don't like people watching me - which they will if I'm on free weights!!!

I'm eating really healthy and having lots of protein, particularly eggs, tuna, cottage cheese, etc, and some chicken. I wondered about getting protein drink things?

I'm female by the way, 5ft3, 8stone/50kilos.

any help would be appreciated.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2008/06/29, 03:06 PM
Hey, Snarf...

Sign up for one of the free programs on the site... it'll get you started in the right direction.

As for machines, I feel they serve their purpose, but I'm more of a fan of the free weights.

t

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
Snarf
Snarf
United Kingdom
2008/07/02, 05:01 PM
Thanks, I'll have a look at doing that.

could anyone provide real life answers or opinions though as well?

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/07/03, 08:54 AM
============
Quoting from Snarf:

I know I don't do much for legs, that's mainly cos they get a workout when I'm running or on crosstrainer.
============
And you think the crosstrainer is making them stronger like you say is your goal?

============
and I know I probably should use free weights, but I am a beginner, and I'm worried about getting technique wrong. There's more chance of that with free weights. Plus I'm self conscious and don't like people watching me - which they will if I'm on free weights!!!
============
better to get the form down now. There is no reason beginners shouldn't use freeweights. Machines have their purpose, but I think in your case you'd show better results using freeweights.

============
I'm eating really healthy and having lots of protein, particularly eggs, tuna, cottage cheese, etc, and some chicken. I wondered about getting protein drink things?
============
They are good as meal replacements for when you don't have time for a meal or to add a meal to your day, or after workouts, but they are not a replacement for good eating.
I'm female by the way, 5ft3, 8stone/50kilos.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
Snarf
Snarf
United Kingdom
2008/07/03, 05:06 PM
hi
The cross trainer is working the muscles in my legs. It won't be improving strength anywhere near as much as using leg weight machines but that's not my priority - I need upper body strenth.

Thanks for the info on protein drinks - I wasn't intending on using them as a meal replacement, don't worry - just as an additional 'meal'.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2008/07/03, 05:08 PM
You'll wanna work your legs... strong legs will help equal a strong everything else.

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/07/06, 05:30 PM
============
Quoting from Snarf:

The cross trainer is working the muscles in my legs. It won't be improving strength anywhere near as much as using leg weight machines but that's not my priority - I need upper body strenth.

=============

Believe it or not, I understand that, and I still took the time to recommend that you train your lower body as well. I have a feeling it will fall on deaf ears, but I'll say it again.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
Snarf
Snarf
United Kingdom
2008/07/07, 11:58 AM
why do you say that? I've incorporated some leg machines now too - can't remember the names!! hardest one is where you sit down and push away with your legs - 67kg I managed!
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/07/07, 02:38 PM
Leg Press.