Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Toning and weight loss

rashcraf
rashcraf
United States
2008/10/05, 06:46 PM
I will begin week 2 starting coming Monday, however, I just read a statement that suggested that it is impossible to loose weight and tone at the same time. Therefore, would it benefit me to continue the weighting training as ft recommend and cut the suggested nutritional count by half. In other words, loose the weight first, then tone up. I have set a goal to reduce from 265 to 200 and develop muscle and definition.

--------------
Everything in life has a purpose. The purpose of being overweight is to kill you.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/10/06, 08:06 AM
This is a very hotly debated subject. in my experience, beginners can lose fat and gain 'tone'. tThe best thing for you to do is to figure out your caloric needs, reduce them by about 300 calories a day and exercise consistently, lifting and cardio. You should see gradual weight loss as well as some nice muscle shape as the fat comes off. Lift as heavy as you can with good form to stimulate your muscles.

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/10/06, 09:24 AM
I think what you meant to say is that you can't lose weight and gain muscle, which by definition of each is true.

You can however lose weight and still "keep" the tone that is under the fat. By weight lifting along with your reduced calorie diet and cardio you can keep the tone that you currently can't see but is under there. So your best bet is to first focus on the dietary restrictions then make sure that you lift weights and do the appropriate cardio.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/10/06, 08:15 PM
I agree with Amy, but the problem is most folks get 'used' to the progress. And when it stops, they think nothing is happening. Please be aware of what Amy says, beginners can do this, but don't expect it to continue for any length of time, and more often than not a very short time period is there for this to happen. So, set your sights on short, do-able steady goals, or you will give up. If your goals are too lofty, like 65 lbs. fat loss and muscle gain, then failure is highly probable. Keep in mind, this is a lifestyle change that makes it work.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

slowmofo
slowmofo
United States
2008/10/06, 09:42 PM
Heres my question. I have nice pregnant gut. I know I cannot spot reduce. So far I have been lifting and doing cardio(5days a week). My diet is really getting their too. Should I be focusing on one thing more than the other or just continue what I am doing? Basically will my muscles gains not be as big and I will lose weight or am I defeating myself?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/10/06, 09:46 PM
Just concentrate on training and diet as you are. Let your body react and 'run' with it. Muscle/strength gains will 'tag' along with good fat loss.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

slowmofo
slowmofo
United States
2008/10/07, 08:47 PM
Thank you! I am noticing a lot of muscle gains already. ( guess newbie gains)
rashcraf
rashcraf
United States
2008/10/07, 09:03 PM
Thanks for all the helpful info. I am working out, eating right and looking forward to results (i,e. fitness).

--------------
Robert Ashcraft,

Everything in life has a purpose. The purpose of being overweight is to kill you.