Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Sticky Starting Out Tips for Weight Reduction

1 2 of 2 pages resultset_next resultset_last
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2007/07/13, 02:39 PM
Found this article and thought I would share. :)

---------------------------
The following 10 tips to weight reduction don't involve buying expensive foods or hiring a personal trainer. Instead, they involve common sense.

Tip 1:
Choose activities that are fun. Exercise doesn't have to be a chore and the more fun it is, the more likely you are to stick with it.

Tip 2:
Variety is the spice of life! Don't just find one thing and stick to it... your guaranteed to get bored eventually. Find a couple different types of exercise that you enjoy (swimming, biking, weight training, yoga, group exercise classes, etc.) and mix it up!

Tip 3:
Keep a record of your activities. Set small "achievable" milestones and reward yourself periodically. Nothing motivates and keeps you going like success!

Tip 4:
Make it a lifestyle! Short-term diets and fitness kicks don't work. Lifestyle changes that become part of your normal routine are important for long-term success.
Watch the clock. Pick a time that's convenient and try to stick to it. If you get used to working out before work or walking during your lunch hour... you're more likely to stick with it.

Tip 5:
Don't be too hard on yourself. If you miss an exercise opportunity, try to work something else in rather than feeling down. If a lunch meeting interferes with your regular walk... go for a walk after dinner.

Tip 6:
Stay entertained. Music is a great motivator and can make exercise more fun. Mix your own CD's with your favorite music or books on tape and take them along when you're working out. Many people also like to watch TV or catch up on their soaps while on a treadmill. Whatever it takes to keep up with the program.

Tip 7:
Surround yourself with supportive people. Share your activity with others who want to see you succeed and will be encouraging. It may be a friend, family member, or neighbor, or US!

Tip 8:
Run with a co-worker over lunch or find a workout partner. If you're at the gym at the same time everyday, look for people that may have similar goals... since your schedules are the same, maybe he/she is looking for a workout partner?

Tip 9:
Slow and steady wins the race. Don't risk injury by pushing yourself too hard too quickly. Start with low to moderate level activities and gradually increase the duration and intensity of your workouts as you become more fit.

Tip 10:
But... don't get lazy! While pushing yourself too hard is bad... not doing enough is equally bad! There is a fine line between staying on a plateau and providing enough stimulus so your body will grow. You should gradually increase the amount of weight you lift, the length of your cardio exercise, etc. to keep you moving towards your goal. If your goal is overall fitness, you should work up to exercising three or four times per week for 30-60 minutes.

--------------
Bettia

You Get What You Train For!
- Unknown
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/07/14, 08:33 AM
Nice post, Bettia!

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

sweetu773
sweetu773
Pakistan
2007/07/15, 09:36 AM
1 see ur food first :cool:
2 do exercie daily:dumbbell:
3 try 2 be happy and busy:big_smile: :love:
4 get up early in the morning and at time:)
hooi
hooi
Bahamas
2007/07/16, 09:58 PM
ne 1 huv n ideas on how to lose weight in 1 month my transportation is limited so not sure i can go out n run or walk:angry:

--------------
oright
christal086
christal086
Australia
2007/08/29, 05:57 AM
unless you live on a boat in the middle of the ocean i cant see why you cant walk or run down the street.

and if you do live on a boat go swimming :) (just kidding, i'm sure you dont live on a boat)
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2007/08/29, 02:25 PM
Do you have any medical issues with your legs that are preventing you from running or walking? If not, then that is what you need to do along with getting a good exercise routine and adjust your eating habits in place.

--------------
Bettia

Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It is all about timing.
-Stacey Chapman
dreamer85
dreamer85
United States
2007/10/02, 09:55 PM
I am trying to lose about 100 lbs. But I am having a problem with the sweets. I can can't stop I have tried. What Can I do?Can some one please give me some tips or advice.
splyce
splyce
United States
2007/10/03, 11:55 PM
I have a terrible sweet tooth myself! I eat non fat yougrt, Natural honey, and drink a glass of water when the craving hits. I'm shure others have good suggestions as well! Good luck think positive and keep on track!

Ed
Denovas
Denovas
United States
2007/10/05, 07:52 PM
I have a serious sweet tooth myself, but I found that the more I give into it the worse off I am. When it does hit I try to have fruit on hand, pre-measured, so I don't go overboard. I also found a really good protein shake that tastes like chocolate milk and a protein bar that tastes like a real candy bar! I just split the bar because of the high calorie count (I am counting) and use it like a snack. Probably not suppose to do that, but oh well. I figure it is better then grabbing a candy bar and it tastes great.
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2007/11/10, 10:04 PM
I was just going to suggest to replace the sweets, with protein shakes, fruit smoothies and there are some awesome protein bars that taste just like candy. Pure Protein is my favorite.

Good luck and hope this helps out!

--------------
Bettia

Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It is all about timing.
-Stacey Chapman
theresanelson
theresanelson
United States
2007/11/26, 11:58 PM
i AM OUT OF SHAPE. I NEED TO BE ABLE TO GET GOING AND KEEP GOING HOW? i LOVE THIS SITE. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON GETTING PREGNACY WEIGHT OFF.
Phe
Phe
United States
2007/12/13, 03:03 PM
I'd say wait until your child hits the toddler ages then you'll be chasing him/her all over... the weight does come off then if you watch your diet.
lady20bug
lady20bug
United States
2008/01/01, 06:45 PM
I'm getting back into exercising and i need to lose 40-50 lbs.I am currently 150lbs but i am only supposed to be around 110 lbs for my height. Im not just doing it for that but also for my health, yous see diabetes runs in my family my mother found out she had it a few years ago. so i know i need to do something about this fat now before its too late if its not already. some suggestions would be great.:)
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/01/01, 08:10 PM
If diabetes runs in your family, you'll more than likely see good results from a low carb approach. Diabetes is much more prevalent against carb sensitive individuals, so you are more than likely carbohydrate sensitive. Besides that, reducing carbohydrate intake has been shown to be very effective in the treatment of type II diabetes (don't even get me started on the ADA recommendations, I swear to god I'll blow a fuse)

Other than that, if you read the posts above yours, there are lots of great suggestions.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/01/02, 02:46 PM
Welcome Lady and Happy New Year's you can start out with one of the free weight loss programs on here. Click on the "exercise prgorams" link and follow the directions.

For eating options check out our nutrition forum, it has some great recipes along with diets to help you get started as well. Good Luck!

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
gentilebride
gentilebride
United States
2008/01/03, 03:36 PM
hey im new here and i am looking to lose like 60-70pounds. need a lot of help o doing so:)
Blueskys4ever
Blueskys4ever
Canada
2008/01/07, 11:46 AM
Hey Bettia.
Where is the nutrition forum? I don't know where to find it. :)
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/01/07, 11:53 AM
Click on the "Message Board" at the top of this page and it will bring up the different forums. Look for the "Specific Diets & Nutrition Discussion - also Recipes!" forum and click on it. :)

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
Beloved7349
Beloved7349
United States
2008/01/22, 01:25 PM
Question? Tip #7- surround yourself with supportive people, what if they are not very supportive. My family seems to think that if I take time to work out and fix a special low calorie meal just for me, I am selfish. They seem to not understand. What do I do?
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/01/23, 12:07 PM
Thank God for the internet then huh? You are at a sight that is sensational when it comes to support, motivation and encouragement. Plus you are around others who share the same belief in your goals.

As a standard rule in my life, I have always been about showing them and not telling them. If they have a hard time accepting your change, just stick to it and show them that you mean business, they will come around eventually.

:)

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
cshenaille
cshenaille
United States
2008/03/23, 03:58 PM
Thank you those tips actually helped me and todays only my first day! lol
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/03/25, 01:33 PM
Glad to hear it has helped you.

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
roach30341
roach30341
United States
2008/04/01, 07:54 PM
i love this site and its my first time. the people seem so real and i really feel that this site is gonna help me to be where i wanna be with my personal goals! thanx eveyone:big_smile:
JodySc
JodySc
United States
2008/07/10, 09:35 AM
I totally understand this is willpower, but I would love to hear advice on how to break the coca-cola addition. If I can get off of it for a day I totally break down and lose again - it's a total addiction. It's free at my workplace, so I really can't remove it from my vision. Trying to go one day at a time, and starting over again! :-)
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/07/10, 10:39 AM
Jody, the only way to do that literally is mind over matter. If you really want something, only you can stop it.

Good luck! :)

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
patricia1983
patricia1983
United States
2008/08/08, 05:15 PM
i want to lose 100 lbs what is the best cardio ?
patricia1983
patricia1983
United States
2008/08/08, 05:17 PM
If someone could email me a let me know what the best cardio is @ patricialeffew1983@yahoo.com. I am desprit.
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
revoman
revoman
Canada
2008/08/08, 09:13 PM
treadmill.
allenslovey
allenslovey
United States
2008/10/15, 12:44 PM
Hello
New to this community. I'm a little worried about what the site says I should be taking in as far as calories etc. It's telling me to take in well over 3000 cals a day and I'm afraid that's too much. I just want to lose weight--a ton of weight-literally, and I don't know if this is going to work even with the recommended exercises. It sounds more like a guy's eating plan. Any suggestions or help is appreciated!:(
allenslovey
allenslovey
United States
2008/10/15, 12:45 PM
I heard a treadclimber is better than a treadmill? According to the machine it burns 3X as many calories as a treadmill. Although they usually only have them at big gyms.
StormQH
StormQH
United States
2008/10/18, 10:52 PM
I'm just starting out here, and it seems like a great program with lots or supportive people. I'm looking to lose some weight and shape up. I understand that weight lifting will help me sculpt my muscles, but should I be adding more cardio than just the 3X a week that it recommends? any ideas?
geminitina
geminitina
United States
2008/10/23, 02:59 PM
Hi, i just joined this program and I am really hoping that it will help me achieve my weight goal. After high school, i gained alot of weight during my college years. I graduated late year and i want to be the weight i was in high school. I need to lose 50 pounds and i have doing everything i can but i am not seeing any improvment and always complaining about my weight. The complains and excuse are over, it is now time for me to take control of my weight and feel good about myself.
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/11/24, 12:03 PM
Cograts for starting the program geminitina! Your positive and no excuses attitude will help you go a long way!!

Be sure to keep us updated on your progress...:big_smile:

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
dr-taber
dr-taber
United States
2009/01/02, 09:58 PM
I have completed my first week with weights and special ab program....I am 48 male and sore! Working different body parts each day has been a life saver for me as I needed that guidance for this new adventure, it has truly made it fun and exciting. I have read for hours on this site and have had all my questions answered except one.....The question is: What should I do when the 23 year old girl next to me in the gym is lifting 30 more pounds than me doing the same exercise?! :-) I am amazed by the strength of people in the gym, it is impressive. My goal is to lose tummy fat and tone up, I have no desire to build mass, I would like a body similar to Padrig Harrington on the PGA tour, or any of the other PGA pro's with toned body's, and no I am not looking for the John Daly look, Tiger woods is too bulky for me. I need to lose 40 lbs and most of it is around the belly I'm afraid....Thank you for the site and postings to all.

--------------
\\"If you don\\'t know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.\\"
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2009/01/04, 12:33 AM
There could be a huge difference between you and the 23 year old girls workout routine and food habits.....

Best way to gain strength, keep training and eating right! You will get there.

What types of workout routines have you done lately? Perhaps you need to switch it up a little bit. Your muscles have extraordinary memory and if you don't switch your routine up every now and then to shock the system, they become complacent.

Good luck and I am glad that you, like myself, have found success on this site!

Happy New Year!!

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
EMBABZE
EMBABZE
United Kingdom
2009/01/13, 10:50 AM
hiya, i just joined this site today and i'm 16.. ive just started college and everyone around me seems to be slim and healthy whereas i want to lose around 60lbs but i don't know how to go about it as i can't really afford to attend the gym and i already don't eat much. At school i was bullyed for my weight and would really like to get rid of it but i don't know the best exercises for the lower stomach and thighs and don't have any exercise equipment.. if anyone could help i would be really grateful. thankyou :)

--------------
Emma
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2009/01/14, 01:41 AM
Hi Embabze and welcome to Freetrainers.

A few tips for you to start out are:
eat 5-6 small meals daily of good sourced carbs, calories and protein. Not eating is the worse thing you can do to your body. Check out a thread call "The Human Engine" in this forum, you can search it in fitBuddy below. It will tell you how your body works and why it is necessary to eat more frequently with less amounts throughout the day.

On your workouts and not having gym access. They have created an awesome "Weight Loss At Home" exercise program on here that you can sign up for free and do. Just click on the "Exercise Program" tab at the top of this page to get started and shout out if you need help.

You can improvise a lot of weights with stuff at home, a gallon of water or milk, canned goods, sugar or flour sacks.

Remember our body doesn't know the difference between a 5 lb dumbell or a 5 lb gallon of milk. It is all the same.

Good luck!

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
ladyg200834
ladyg200834
United States
2009/04/07, 08:19 PM
I have a physical disability which brings on constant pain but I need to lose about 30-40 pounds. I have gained these pounds taking medicine that my doctor prescribed for me n the past in which did not help with. So I was just wondering if someone knew of some ideas that I could use to lose without so much exercise?
deenicole
deenicole
United States
2009/04/26, 04:32 PM
Hello all!!! I've been off work for a few months due to a shoulder injury. It seems to have effected my energy as well. Any advice on how to boost my energy? The mind is willing, but the body is lazy... lol
messertlyn
messertlyn
United States
2009/11/23, 04:18 PM
I really want to loose weight alot of it and fast what is the best thing to do???:(
KBunce88
KBunce88
United States
2009/11/23, 04:54 PM
Hey everyone! I just joined today & am looking to lose bout 30-35 lbs. b4 May. I'm getting married:love:, but that's not the only reason I'm trying to lose da weight! I've lost bout 25 on my own but it's kinda stopped. guess I need to get some nu exercises. B4 I had my 2 daughters, I was 130. I'm tryin 2 get bak down to that area. I was so confident then:big_smile: I'm willin 2 do da work!
siobhankilkenny
siobhankilkenny
Ireland
2010/01/07, 06:35 PM
I need help its serious im hoping 2 lose alot of weight in my tummy b4 swimming starts nd dats next weeko_O

--------------
$!0BH@NXxxxx
vickih
vickih
United States
2010/01/12, 06:38 PM
Hi every one. I am very new to this and to losing weight. I ave put on a whopping 50 lbs in a year and it has been stuck on me for 5 years. I need help getting motivated. and getting the energy to lose. Any suggestions. I work until 5pm up at 5:30am. Need help, I have gotten the lazy's.
busymomheatlhw8
busymomheatlhw8
United States
2010/02/03, 04:27 PM
I'm a busy mom trying to get down 20 pounds, 30 would be even better, but I will look good with 20 pounds off...

Looking to lift weights this time and maybe it will help my metabolism. These are great tips, thanks!:big_smile:
jenpankey
jenpankey
United States
2010/02/08, 12:12 PM
I am new to this site and I just wanted some advice on how to lose weight and keep it off. So far everyone here seems so motivating. My weight loss goal is 30-50 lbs by June. I just dont know where to start. My biggest enemy is lack of motivation :(
DomiRocks1986
DomiRocks1986
United States
2010/04/19, 12:06 PM
I'm new to this site, I need some advice, I have never actually worked out unless i had to, and need some advice on how to do exercises with lack of transportation and money?

Any suggestions?

--------------
-Dominique
DomiRocks1986
DomiRocks1986
United States
2010/04/19, 12:08 PM
I had bought protein shakes and they are perfect for the busy mom, and when i need a sweet tooth, i grab a special k bar, but protein shakes makes you feel fuller, longer :-D

============
Quoting from ravenbeauty:

I was just going to suggest to replace the sweets, with protein shakes, fruit smoothies and there are some awesome protein bars that taste just like candy. Pure Protein is my favorite.

Good luck and hope this helps out!

=============
Kwaga
Kwaga
South Africa
2010/04/21, 04:17 AM
How many times a day should you actualy eat?:love:
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2010/06/01, 01:51 PM
To lose weight 5-6 small meals daily, your biggest being breakfast. :big_smile:

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
uzma1990
uzma1990
United Kingdom
2010/06/01, 05:12 PM
hi will this site actualy give exercises to do? or do i make them up myself? thnkz
1 2 of 2 pages resultset_next resultset_last