Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Preventing flabby skin from weight loss

kimic
kimic
United States
2003/01/14, 10:06 PM
I've seen alot of people on tv shows that have this horrible looking flabby skin from loosing a large amount of weight. This isn't my problem right now, but since I have about 110lbs to lose, I'd like to know how to prevent this. I do weight training 5 days and cardio 2 days a week. Will the weight training prevent that flabby skin from happening because my muscles are developing?

Also, I've been doing my new lifestyle of daily workouts for 3 weeks now, and though I've only lost 2 lbs, I can tell that my body feels different, is starting to be shaped different because my fat clothes don't fit like they used to. This is great isn't it? Or should I have lost more weight? How does this work when you have a large amount of weight to lose and are working out with weights as well as cardio?

BTW, I just love this site and the workouts here. And it's free! I'd be willing to pay! :)

Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/01/14, 10:48 PM
Send the $$$$ here! (just kidding) ;)

Thats great news Kimic, it's nice to hear when someone is seeing results. The flabby skin will tighten up. I think some pro's on here will tell you about some creams available. The fatty tissue is shedding and the rate of loss is different for everyone.
The way you are training is fantastic. With all the cardio and weights, your body is even burning calories while you sleep. What fad diet can do that?
Hope this helps. Hey...stay motivated and it will turn into habit.

--------------
The trouble with jogging is that, by the time you realize you are not in shape for it, it is too far to walk back! Franklin P. Jones

Ivan Montreal Canada
sandysford
sandysford
United States
2003/01/15, 01:19 AM
Hey Kimic, it is great that you have made the decision to make such a wonderful lifestyle change (I did it and lost one whole me!!!!) Now the flabby skin thing, it will tighten up in time, you have to moisturize your skin and keep moisturizing to help your skin regain it's elasticity. Short of surgery that's about all you can do. You are still young enough to let nature takes it's course. I am 43 and it has been a slow process but it is happening. My skin is starting to fit my new body. Try to use creams that have collagen in them. Collagen will penetrate the skin whereas most products that say they do, only coat the skin. Try to avoid very hot showers and baths, that is very drying to the skin. Good luck to you and keep up the good work.

--------------
I will lift my own weight someday!!!!!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2003/01/15, 01:37 AM
Hi Kimic what a cute picture you put in!! (o;

You're still young so if you stay careful then you can prevent your skin of getting too loose by not loosing too much weight too fast, drink enough water, eat good essentiel fat and of course massage and put on creams one or twice a day.

Good luck!

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
CarolJ
CarolJ
United States
2003/01/15, 09:19 AM
sandysford,
how long has it been since you lost the weight. I lost 25 pounds about six months ago, and I still have a little bit of flabbiness under my neck, and on my stomach. I'm 45, and I'm hoping that it will go away.
sandysford
sandysford
United States
2003/01/15, 10:04 AM
carolj: I found out that I was a diabetic in November of 1999 and have had a steady weight loss since my peak in Aug. of last year where I loss the last ten pounds and got down to 127. I did the body for life program. It was a slow weight loss. In November of 2000 I weighed 167lbs and loss 40 lb. between November and Aug of last year. The last area that I need to tighten is my lower ab area. It is happening for me though. I had a hysterectomy in around May of 1999 and have scar tissue to deal with. I do ab exercises faithfully twice a week. I have gained enough muscle mass that I will be in a bodybuilding show in May. Lots and lots of moisturizer. After every shower I use baby oil. Good luck to you.

--------------
SandyQ
SandyQ
Canada
2003/01/15, 10:58 AM
Your VERY inspiring! Good Luck with your bodybuilding show! Let us know how you do!
kimic
kimic
United States
2003/01/15, 12:30 PM
Thank you everyone! I'm hoping that with slow and steady weight loss and weight training will allow my skin to shrink with my body. It's just so weird that I look different and feel different with only loosing 2lbs! I read somewhere to not weight yourself, and I think they were right, so I will continue to do what I'm doing. I will also slather on tons of vegan lotion also. I love this new lifestyle. almost 3 years ago I stopped smoking cold turkey. I just stopped and never had a craving and never went back. I know that once you set you mind to it, you can change old habits and get new better ones. This active lifestyle is new and its exciting, and I enjoy it, so I know it will last. I love this site, the support is awesome.. I still can't belive its FREE....
trcg
trcg
United States
2003/01/20, 06:24 PM
Dry skin brushing is great to help skin stay tight as you are loosing weight. There are a lot of websites out there if you do a search you'll find them. I know when I gave this a fair try 30 days straight I woke one morning only to find my stretch marks no longer red....my lower tummy looked so much better. It only takes 5 min.
R
houseofdiet
houseofdiet
United States
2003/01/20, 06:27 PM
um.. dry skin brushing?????! This sounds painful (it probably isn't but it sounds that way :) Could you please explain this a little bit?
trcg
trcg
United States
2003/01/21, 07:21 PM
Dry skin brushing is done with a body brush made of vegetable fibers...you do not want to use synthetic or boar fiber as they will damage the skin. You brush upwards towards your heart for. You can start at your feet or hands. Areas that need extra help you use circular motions and then long strokes after wards. This is also a great way to perk up your breasts....has helped me and I've nursed 4 children.

I have never found this to be painful although some do so they start getting use to this while in the shower.

Does this help? If not let me know and I'll try again.
R.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/01/21, 07:37 PM
Kimic....I accept cash, no credit cards. Otherwise I have to add tax! Canadian funds...what a deal!(just kidding)

--------------
The trouble with jogging is that, by the time you realize you are not in shape for it, it is too far to walk back! Franklin P. Jones

Ivan Montreal Canada
houseofdiet
houseofdiet
United States
2003/01/21, 07:40 PM
Thanks trcg,
I guess I have heard of this before though it was used differently... It is also used for children with autism, and hypersensitivity to touch. (There were a few others but can't recall just now) They just call it brushing but I didn't put two and two together the other night. A very interesting subject . Thanks for the info :)
trcg
trcg
United States
2003/01/21, 09:02 PM
You are welcome. I had never heard of it before I started another exercise program over a year ago and the creator of the program really emphasises the importance of brushing as well. She said to think of it as exercise for the skin and since it is the largest organ our body has it needs to be taken care of too. She must know what she talks about because you should see her...at 47 she puts many 20 yr olds to shame.
R.
houseofdiet
houseofdiet
United States
2003/01/21, 09:58 PM
where would you get a brush with veg. fibers??
trcg
trcg
United States
2003/01/22, 09:35 AM
The name of the brush I found is Yerba Prima Skin Brush. Try a search on the internet and you should find one. I would look but am on the way out the door to take the kids to school. If you can't find one let me know and I'll look this afternoon when I get home.
R.
sandysford
sandysford
United States
2003/01/22, 02:33 PM
Well I am outta here, got to go search for this brush, anything for the cause.

--------------
trcg
trcg
United States
2003/01/22, 03:49 PM
I just did a quick search on Google and found a lot of sites that carry the skin brush. I'm off to find one for my face since the body brush is not recommended for the face...too stiff of bristles.
R.
SexyMedina17
SexyMedina17
United States
2004/02/02, 10:46 AM
Hi. My name is Shawna and I am 17 years old. I'm 5'4 tall and I weigh about 230lbs. Basically, I have been overweight my whole life and I have finally decided to do something about it. I come across this site yesterday and so far I like everything I see. I think one of the main reasons I haven't done anything in the past is because I really didn't know what exercises I needed to do. I'm still a little confused with the exercise plan you guys have made for me. For push-ups even though I can't do them (it hurts) I don't know what to put for weight used. Also, will this plan work for me since I'm so overweight or should I do more? If you can help, it would be greatly appreciated. :) Thanks!
lindseygirl
lindseygirl
United States
2004/02/24, 12:22 PM
Is there any help for a flabby abdomen. I have had 4 c-sections and my addomen is in desperate need of tightening. i am 45 years old and have always had a difficult time with situps and crunches. can you offer any advise on how i might start to tone up my muscles, or is to late to do anything about it.
m3kamikaze
m3kamikaze
United States
2004/02/24, 02:54 PM
I've never heard of using a brush to tighten skin, but I have seen people on the discovery health channel lose a huge amount of weight over a period of a year and half or so, and these people were pretty hefty to begin with. After a huge weight loss they had rolls and rolls of loose skin after having lost tons of weight. The only choice they had to get rid of the excess skin was to go through plastic surgeries where the operation would cut away the excess skin. This was for people extremely overweight, and I don't know if that would be true for your situation.
stubs
stubs
United States
2004/03/30, 03:49 AM
Hola everyone,
New member here. Im 25yr female and weigh about 266lbs. I have always been active in sports all my life but have always seem to get bigger every year. I really need some help on what I am doing wrong and how to lose. Please help!
Librarycat513
Librarycat513
United States
2004/04/01, 05:34 PM
Well, I'm glad I read this thread, and even more glad to find out that the loose skin will tighten up over time. I'm fortunate that I don't have much to worry about, just my stomach and my arms.

--------------
Go to the library, check out a book. It keeps me in a job, and you might learn something new. :)
hscania
hscania
Egypt
2005/04/01, 01:36 AM
look all i think i have the replay when u loss a big amount of fat u ll find yr skin in flabby thats happend for me once i lost 30 kg but f u got shaped yr fat i think ull scratch yr skin look f u see magazines like flex or MD ull find that all athelets loss 30 or more kgs so dont be worry by time it will be shapped
Artemis-75
Artemis-75
Canada
2005/04/02, 02:31 PM
SexyMedina17 -
First of - WAY TO GO!!! Congrats on getting started. That is the hardest part - second to none.

Just put 0 in the weight if you don't use any. Easy as that.:)

If you're finding the program too difficult give us some examples of exercises you're having trouble with and I'm sure you'll get suggestions.

Best of luck - remember, you CAN do it!

:love:
Artemis-75
Artemis-75
Canada
2005/04/02, 02:31 PM
PS - SexyMedina17 - fill out your profile! You can send and receive private mesages that way.

:big_smile:
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/05/12, 08:45 AM
bump
mushmixaz
mushmixaz
United States
2008/06/13, 08:56 PM
Kimic,
Thank you for your posting!! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one trying to figure out my body's changes and inches lost without the weight going as well. I've been a large girl my entire life and have "yo-yo-ed" up and down for years. Finally I'm starting to lose weight the "right" way, healthty diet, cardio, weight training, and have seen the changes in my body and clothing, but not so much in the scale yet :(. I was just wondering if there is anything on this site that might be able to assist me on weither or not I should try to take and supliments, hydroxycut, alli, slimquick, etc?
Thank you in advance for any advice!!

:love:
Kimmi