Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Pressure on lower back causing concern.

FilthyPL3B
FilthyPL3B
United Kingdom
2006/08/31, 02:57 PM
Recently I have opted to do my military presses in the standing position rather than seated. From what I can see my form is correct, however, I feel slight pressure on my lower spine when i do this. Is this normal as I'm guessing not? Has anyone else experienced this?

As a youngster I had a slight curvature of the spine to one side as a result of a massive growth "spurt". It corrected itself in my youth yet I am more aware of any stresses on my lower back since, thus this query.

Any input would be appreciated.

--------------
If in doubt K.I.S.S.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/08/31, 03:00 PM
You maybe leaning back a bit. But yes that movement will add to stress. As long as you are not using a weight that is to heavy you should be ok. ALso when doing that try to keep the abbs tight. I even hold my breath in the stomach area to keep the "base" there tight so to speak.

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!
The Men and Boys are Separated by one thing: The Squat Cage!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/08/31, 03:07 PM
I went to seated for that precise reason. I have a tender lower back, and through trial and error have learned what moves I can do to offset this problem. This is why I basically had to go strictly to leg presses for my quads and cannot do squats. The weight I can use is easy for my quads, but hard on my lower back.

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
FilthyPL3B
FilthyPL3B
United Kingdom
2006/08/31, 03:18 PM
Thankyou both for the input, my vice here then, is inexperience. I will try what you said mutt on holding in my abs as I do think i lax a bit on that, but I fear I may be in the "boat" as you Ron. I do also feel pressure on my squat too...when I lift I do less than say when I do leg presses (significantly so), which would I reap more benefits from do you think: lower weight in squat, or higher weight in leg press as squat works more muscles?

Should I work my back independently more often to accomodate for my situation and build that additional strength?

Thanks

--------------
If in doubt K.I.S.S.
2006/08/31, 03:45 PM
I think wrestler125 mentioned putting one foot forward while doing standing overhead presses to relieve pressure on the back....

I tried doing push presses over militaries and it decreased pressure on the back despite more weight being used....maybe you can try alternating them....

I would start doing weighted hyperextensions to strengthen your lower back a couple times a week....on top of the deadlifts or GMs...I would do it towards the end of your workouts...perhaps same days you're doign squats or militaries....
FilthyPL3B
FilthyPL3B
United Kingdom
2006/08/31, 03:54 PM
Ah yes, one foot forward, saw someone at the gym do that and wondered why.

And the push presses sounds interesting, I will do some trial and error with this advice and see how it goes.

I had opted away from weighted hyperextensions, but for my lower back to develop I guess this necessary.

Thanks menance
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/08/31, 03:56 PM
Give what menace said I suggested a try.

Ron, do you do front squats? Much less pressure on the lower back and they are very quad dominant.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/09/01, 01:39 AM
I do my push presses in that manner. Still sometimes have low back issues.

Front squats help.

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
blue77
blue77
United States
2006/09/05, 01:05 PM
fithypl3b Have you tries dumbbells,instead of a straight bar,then at least you good work your stronger side more than the weaker part of your side,or if your back went in to a spasm you could lower the weights better,than with a straight bar crashing down on you or your foot,have you tried dumbbell upright rows Instead of military presses.:dumbbell: