Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Poliquin contradiction?

ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/10/22, 04:10 PM
Everything I've read here has said that for the most part it is not possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time due to the caloric requirements and timing of each. One requires a caloric deficit while the other requires a caloric surplus. Sounds pretty straight forward and I've bought into that belief as well.

Reading an article on T-nation the other day by Charles Poliquin he said that while training an athlete he reduced his body fat and gained 25 lbs. of muscle at the same time and says that the two can happen simultaneously and it happens all of the time.

I ask because I am currently bulking and putting on some decent mass over the past month and half (12 lbs). When I started though I think I jumped calories too much and put on some fat as well. I'm still sticking to the mass diet but I'd like to drop just a little of this fat without having to go to an all out cutting type diet or doing butt-loads of cardio.

Can someone explain this apparent contradiction from what I've been led to believe and how it could be possible.
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/10/22, 04:14 PM
Quote: "It's quite possible to gain muscle while losing fat. I've seen it hundreds of times with my athletes. I have a kid from the University of Southern California who was 25% body fat. I got him down to 12% in eight weeks, and he gained 25 pounds of muscle."
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/10/22, 09:36 PM
Poliquin has gone off the deep end in an effort to 'stay relevant'. Delve deeper into his 'wisdom' of late, and you will see what I mean.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/10/23, 09:13 AM
I've sort of noticed that as well. Some of his statements seem to be said just so people will talk about him......and here we are talking about him so I guess it's working.
2007/10/23, 09:42 AM
it depends. in a trained athlete it's unlikely. if you take some 6'8 185lb kid with poor dietary habits...then yes it's possible....but yes poliquin is pushing the envelop with some of his ideas.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/10/23, 09:14 PM
While I don't agree that he has "gone off the deep end" he is indeed a master of the hyperbole.

And yes, it is definately possible. However, it is not something I would aim for, and makes a terrible goal. Pick one or the other, and if the other happens at the same time, then take notes.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk